Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017)

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Was Finns ship slowing down as he was sacrificing himself? I don't get the physics of how Rose crashed her ship into Finn. Maybe I have to watch it aga...oh no.

vader.jpg
Asian trigonometry > dindu maths

• 1Picard
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Aldo, purple haired lady made a lot more sense the second time. She's her own form of royalty. Why would she give credence or two fucks what some random hot shot pilot is demanding of her? Fuck him, basically. He's important to us as a viewer, but to her, he's literally as she put it, "dangerous". He got the last of their force wiped out, just to take down a single ship, and caused a fuck ton more problems with his Finn/Rose plan that resulted in losing even more. That he even has the courage to keep moving forward after such levels of failure...

I think her rationale for leaving Poe out of the loop was because of hit fatal hotshotting and ignoring orders that earned him a demotion from Leia, which Holdo highlighted when she pulled him aside to dress him down. She tried to turn it into a teachable moment about following orders at face value. But it's a misplaced move for the situation they were in. Get your asses out of the fire and save the lessons for another day.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

wat

Golden Knight of the Realm
Problem with Poe's story is that to the audience he was being reasonable and the other side wasn't. If the Dreadnaught was a 'fleet killer' then losing some dudes was probably worth destroying it. Nothing was stopping Leia from ordering the bombers back herself if she cared about those lives so much. Then he rolls right into the 'I'm keeping secrets for the plot trope' which can work if the secrets being kept are good and reasonable, but they aren't. That plan ends up being just as stupid if not stupider than anything he was doing. On top of that characters are praised for doing the exact same shit that Poe was criticized for.

The only thing Poe did wrong was

not hyperjumping a ship into the dreadnaught instead of using slow as bombers like it was 1942 Germany. Probably had enough FTL ships to disable if not destroy the fleet chasing them too.

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
Wait, was it ever explained how Rey can swim? Maybe they can answer that in 9!!!!
you're seriously reaching. She was clearly struggling a bit underwater in that scene. But keep trying to pile on, all the cool kids are doing it.

• 7Picard
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 7 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
That plan ends up being just as stupid if not stupider than anything he was doing.

Her plan would have been fine if Poe hadn't sent Finn/Rose off on a journey that led to DJ giving the Order their plan of escape. Lack of communication on both ends led to a whole fuck load more people dying. They went from 400 to like 14 people because of that "flyboy stunt". Some shit that would have only work in the original trilogy (Obi-wan shutting off the tractor beam).

The "fleet killer" Dreadnought was a non-factor when it resulted in the ultimate decimation of the rebel fleet anyway. It was a null result. Destroying the ship was pointless if they had nothing left.

I'm curious if they'll come back and say what sort of ramifications there will be for a hyperdrive attack.... like, you just sent particles across the galaxy at FTL speeds. Everything in the line of fire is gonna get fucked.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
you're seriously reaching. She was clearly struggling a bit underwater in that scene. But keep trying to pile on, all the cool kids are doing it.

The darkness sucked her in and under. Metaphorical. Had nothing to do with her ability to swim.

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
disagree after multiple viewings. Everything that happened after she came out of the water was a vision, but up to that point it was real. Like Luke entering the cave on Dagobah.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
She was leering over, she didn't slip, she didn't jump, the camera changed, there was a whispering noise, and she shrieked as if something pulled her down. There were tons of skeletons at the bottom. That whole scene was rather minutia overall, other than it making her realize she wasn't going to gain anything by staying on the island.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
She was leering over, she didn't slip, she didn't jump, the camera changed, there was a whispering noise, and she shrieked as if something pulled her down. There were tons of skeletons at the bottom. That whole scene was rather minutia overall, other than it making her realize she wasn't going to gain anything by staying on the island.

Fuck, that reads like an episode of LOST.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Blakkheim

Karazhan Raider
Ah fuck it. Some more random thoughts on the movie in no particular order.

Some Positives about this movie:
- Unlike JJ with TFA, I'll give Rian Johnson credit for at least trying to make a somewhat original movie and not just completely ripping off ESB.
- I liked that they decided to take some chances and move the franchise forward with regards to the Force. Just moving rocks around and light saber fighting with a little bit of lightning thrown in was getting stale after 30+ years. I think this was the right move to introduce new Force elements. This will payoff in the long run and create new dynamics to contend with in future movies.
- They had the guts to kill off the "Supreme Leader" in the second movie. Not sure how this will play out for Episode IX but at least it forgoes a complete repeat of RoTJ.
- The Mon Calamari cruiser going hyperspace though the First Order capital ship was fucking awesome.
- I'm not going to get all bent out of shape at how they portrayed Luke and his relationship with Kylo Ren in this movie. There are only so many ways you could have done it. People would (and are going to) bitch about how its portrayed no matter what.
- Andy Serkis did a fantastic job with his portrayal of Snoke.
- I thought the Snoke/thrown room fight scene was handled very well and was fun to watch.

Negatives about this movie (There's more than I even care to list but here goes):
- Luke throwing the light saber over his shoulder. This was perhaps the most unforgivable and retarded moment in the movie. I guess they thought they would go for some humor here? What the hell were they thinking doing this? There are so many other ways that this scene could have been handled better. It wasn't funny. It was just downright fucking stupid.
- The Luke going Neo with the light saber dodge scene was lame. This comes across as lazy and unimaginative film making. Its 2017 not 1999 people.
- Canto Bight. This whole entire scene was just a complete cluster fuck. It came off as forced, out of place, and unnecessary to the story. If you're going to include something like this, a far better way to handle it would have been to have the movie open up here with perhaps Fin and maybe Chewy/C3PO/R2D2 looking for the code breaker character.
- The "master code breaker". What a complete waste of a great acting talent in Benicio Del Toro. There are so many ways this charter and story arch could have been handled better.
- Fuck Disney and their forced PETA moralizing bullshit about a bunch of CGI rabbit horses. Fuck you. I don't need this fucking bullshit it my Star Wars movies.
- Rose. First of all, this character was horribly miscast. Kelly Marie Tran comes across as frumpy and out of place in this role. But the fucking SJW's at Disney just couldn't help themselves. Hell, the actress they should have used was the one who played Rose's sister Paige who was the bomber pilot (The actress playing Paige, Veronica Ngo - IMDb is actually pretty damn smoking hot).
- The romance between Rose and Fin comes across as completely forced. The end scene where Fin tries to go kamikaze the First Order laser weapon was a complete role reversal with Rose and was retarded. If they wanted to have this make even the slightest sense, it should have been Fin who rushes in to swipe Rose out of the way from going kamikaze.
- Broom/Stable kid scene at the end of the movie was totally out of place. I might have been ok with something like this at the tale end of Episode IX but it sticks out like a sore thumb in this movie.
- This might be a personal preference but It frustrates me how they have marginalized good characters like Chewy, R2D2, and C3PO. Why didn't they have bigger roles in this movie? If you're going to have the Canto Bight shit, why not have them go there instead of BB8? Oh that's right, we got to sell more BB8 toys and shoehorn in a love story with Rose and Fin.
- Enough with the cutesy doe eyed animal characters that are thrown in for no other purpose than for selling more toys. Its obvious and its become a distraction.
- Domhnall Gleeson's portrayal of the Hux character is a case study in overacting and villain parody. Enough already. Compare this to Peter Cushing and Grand Moff Tarkin. Its fucking worlds apart in terms of the subtle and menacing performance of Cushing.
- Would have been nice to have had a scene or two with Luke and/or Leia discussing Han's death. Just seems like his death was almost inconsequential in this movie.
- I get what they are trying to do with the Poe's story arch in this movie but I'm not sure they executed it well. They are trying to show where a character takes a risk and that risk blows up with severe consequences for everyone. There seems to be little to no consequences to Poe himself or remorse expressed by his character.
- The appearance of the Admiral Holdo character seems very out of place in a military environment. Yes I understand this character has a backstory that is developed and explained in some of the novels but 95% of people are not going to be reading that stuff. Without explanation its an unnecessary distraction.
- For two films in a row, Phasma has been a complete waste of a character. Again, what the fuck is her point in this movie series other than to sell more toys? I understand the idea of having some cool side characters but at least with someone like Boba Fett he played a critical role in ESB story line. You could completely leave Phasma out of these movies and it would have zero impact.

Thoughts on Episode IX:
- At this point they pretty much have to move this forward by a few years in time. Give Rey some time to become a complete badass and for the Resistance to regroup.
- Now that the blue saber is destroyed, I want to see what she does as far as constructing her own saber. Can we finally get the staff saber/long handled light saber pike? Why have a charter using two different weapons (staff and a sword) when the two can be combined.
- For the love of all that's Holy, please do not recast Carrie Fisher or do CGI Leia. Just have the opening credits of Episode IX be that she has passed away and be done with it.
- The Rey/Kylo Ren story arch has the potential to be become very interesting with the use of telepathy/remote viewing. So just how badly will JJ fuck this up?
- JJ has his work cut out for him for Episode IX. I have serious doubts he's up for it but I'll hold out hope.
- As everyone has already said, TLJ leaves everyone asking, what else is there to do now? They have the opportunity to go in almost any direction now. The question is, can they come up with something that is original and different?

My Current rankings of the Star Wars movies:

- ESB
- ROTJ
- Rogue One - The hate that some people have for this movie is just baffling to me. It has a few problems but overall its a great Star Wars movie and fits in nicely with the OT.
- ANH
- TLJ - With all the problems this movie has, I actually have to put it above TFA for the simple reason that its a more original movie.
- TFA - A smoother overall movie than TLJ but is completely derivative of ANH.
- ROTS
- AOTC
- TPM

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
Finally saw it, maybe 5/10, 6/10. It mostly wasn't painful to watch, but nearly every major plot element seemed like a swing and miss to me. So many things were set up but never followed through on, or done in one way when they could have executed it just as easily another way with far cooler results and much greater emotional resonance. Or, you know, any at all. The way Luke went out was probably the strongest emotional reaction I had in the entire film, and the emotion was just disappointment that they hadn't taken a cooler route to such a core moment in the franchise.

It felt like someone wrote an original script which was intended to subvert a lot of the old established SW stuff, then someone else came in and said "nope, that's too risky, gotta stay in the lane," and so we ended up with the worst of both worlds. Major bait and switch - all this talk about change but everything more or less stays exactly the same. Felt like it could have been great if they'd either stuck to their guns and trod new ground, or just riffed on ESB all the way home, but instead it ended up as a jumbled unsatisfying mix of the two.

Best thing I can say about it is that visually, it was really impressive.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
And wtf is happening to John Williams? Both TFA and this pile of garbage OST are not good, nor memorable.

• 1Barf
Reactions: 1 user

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
I hate Rian Johnson the more I learn about him:

"the director’s famously convivial relationship with film bloggers influenced The Last Jedi’s effusive critical reception. (His Instagram feed is not filled with stars, but with photos he took of the journalists who interviewed him during the Last Jedi press tour. This has always been Johnson’s way."

- from a Vanity fair article I didn't read and just skimmed through. It's probably a garbage article like all the rest that try to justify the good critic reviews and shit on fans and call fans idiots and use terrible straw man arguments as we've seen here from some dumb members (like the argument that the original trilogy had tons of jokes! lol sigh).

But Rian Johnson being a little insecure wuss that needs to feel validated by critics and the "fine art establishment" makes total sense. I guess they all sucked each other off before the screening and told one another they were all visionaries and amazing and changing history? Who knows.

• 6Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Jive Turkey

Karen
If Poe didn't destroy the dreadnaught the entire Resistance would've been fucked in the chase. Its weapons could fire a lot further than the star destroyers could. They also would've been fucked on the planet if they somehow managed to make it that far

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

wat

Golden Knight of the Realm
Her plan would have been fine if Poe hadn't sent Finn/Rose off on a journey that led to DJ giving the Order their plan of escape. Lack of communication on both ends led to a whole fuck load more people dying. They went from 400 to like 14 people because of that "flyboy stunt". Some shit that would have only work in the original trilogy (Obi-wan shutting off the tractor beam).

The "fleet killer" Dreadnought was a non-factor when it resulted in the ultimate decimation of the rebel fleet anyway. It was a null result. Destroying the ship was pointless if they had nothing left.

I'm curious if they'll come back and say what sort of ramifications there will be for a hyperdrive attack.... like, you just sent particles across the galaxy at FTL speeds. Everything in the line of fire is gonna get fucked.

Her plan was to fly over to a planet and just abandon ship there. You think that would be super obvious and the First Order would fuck them up the second they tried. But then again the First Order is run by idiots so I dunno. Poe's only really fault was announcing Holdo's super secret plan over an unsecured radio transmission.

As cool as that the hyperspeed jump was I did kinda break the universe. "Why didn't they just ram them in hyperspeed" is gonna be asked after every single Star Wars space battle now.

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users