Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017)

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
As cool as that the hyperspeed jump was I did kinda break the universe. "Why didn't they just ram them in hyperspeed" is gonna be asked after every single Star Wars space battle now. [/spoiler]

Not really. You can always introduce a new technology as a countermeasure the way they introduced hyperspeed tracking in this one. And they already have one in-universe they've just never shown them in the movies; the Interdictor class of starships equipped with gravity wells that pull ships out of hyperspace.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

zignor 4

Molten Core Raider
And wtf is happening to John Williams? Both TFA and this pile of garbage OST are not good, nor memorable.

Oh, shut the fuck up. The score for TFA was too tame, and probably ths most low key of his Star Wars efforts, but it was by no means bad. TLJ's score was great. It may be the single best part of the film. Disconnect your nerd ragings for a few minutes and give it a fair listen. I went through it before seeing the movie and loved it.

Also, he's 85 years old.

• 1Like

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Admittedly, the score for TLJ was insanely subtle compared to the blaring horns in the originals. They also added sound effects on top of the music so it was drowned out.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Not really. You can always introduce a new technology as a countermeasure the way they introduced hyperspeed tracking in this one. And they already have one in-universe they've just never shown them in the movies; the Interdictor class of starships equipped with gravity wells that pull ships out of hyperspace.

I'm sure there's some nerd explanation. It's plausible that it only really works at a certain small range when accelerating into hyperspace, for example.

Still doesn't explain how unmanned droned with hyperdrives aren't the best possible weapons, but you can wave that away somehow too I guess.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I'm sure there's some nerd explanation. It's plausible that it only really works at a certain small range when accelerating into hyperspace, for example.

Still doesn't explain how unmanned droned with hyperdrives aren't the best possible weapons, but you can wave that away somehow too I guess.

Oh, lolol, that fucking reminds me. When Holdo starts talking about staying behind to man the ship, C3PO is standing behind them, hears that, and is like, *whistles and slow walks the fuck away*. People were looking at me when I was laughing my ass off. Fucking 3po...

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Royal

The way they been shown before (in the Rebels series) they do have range limitations. They can be used to target specific ships to prevent them from jumping and they can focus on a general area to pull any ship passing through it in at lightspeed from hyperspace, negating almost all of their forward momentum in the process. I would assume that could be used defensively by centering an allied ship in the field (though that would probably come with problems of it's own). They can even do both simultaneously since the larger ones have 4 separate gravity wells.

Last edited:

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
C3P0 and R2D2 don't belong in the movies anymore. They're pointless and add nothing. They used to be the greek chorus, and now they're just props to sell toys.

I think what really kills this movie is we have so much expanded universe material to compare it to that's just... better. People want a light side / dark side battle across the stars. You can do that without forcing the same rebellion story. Knights of the Old Republic did it years ago.

• 2Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
The way they been shown before (in the Rebels series) they do have range limitations. They can be used to target specific ships to prevent them from jumping and they can focus on a general area to pull any ship passing through it in at lightspeed from hyperspace, negating almost all of their forward momentum in the process. I would assume that could be used defensively by centering an allied ship in the field.

I meant the whole kamikaze routine could have a range limitation. It might only work while accelerating, not after you've made the jump to light speed. Presumably if crashes can happen this is something that has happened by accident and guidance / engineering would have solved for safety reasons.

The fact that it has me sperging out over how starships accelerate is honestly why it's dumb. Rian Johnson sacrificed immersion and continuity for a cool shot.

• 2Like

Royal

C3P0 and R2D2 don't belong in the movies anymore.

I thought the scene with Luke and R2 was one of the best moments in the movie. Sure I would have liked to have seen him used more but that island wasn't the sort of place he was going to be able to get around on short of those god awful rockets that I hope to never see on screen again, on him anyway.

But those shoehorned cameos like in Rogue One yes, no more please.

• 2Like

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I meant the whole kamikaze routine could have a range limitation. It might only work while accelerating, not after you've made the jump to light speed. Presumably if crashes can happen this is something that has happened by accident and guidance / engineering would have solved for safety reasons.

The fact that it has me sperging out over how starships accelerate is honestly why it's dumb. Rian Johnson sacrificed immersion and continuity for a cool shot.

That would be inaccurate, since the hyper drive computer has to calculate a direction that won't fly them through a star. The Kessel run, and the part where the Falcon can do it faster than any other ship, is because it can calculate the fastest route between jumps. Hyperspace and warp speed aren't another dimension, nor work on the principal of jumping, like Event Horizon or Battlestar.

• 1Like

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
I thought the scene with Luke and R2 was one of the best moments in the movie.

This was the best scene in the movie. To me, the emotional center, it's too bad this film is about destroying everything so they can make it again in their own image.

Poor fucking Leia, her son is an emo twat that got turned to the dark side, killed her loser estranged husband (well do we really know about that, did they get married? lol), and her brother abandoned her for years on end only to finally whimper out as she escapes with her crumbling, well, lets call it a resistance because why not?

Leia got the biggest shaft of all in this, now she will probably die in the fucking opening crawl text as her big reward.

• 2Worf

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
That would be inaccurate, since the hyper drive computer has to calculate a direction that won't fly them through a star. The Kessel run, and the part where the Falcon can do it faster than any other ship, is because it can calculate the fastest route between jumps. Hyperspace and warp speed aren't another dimension, nor work on the principal of jumping, like Event Horizon or Battlestar.

May want to tell the new movies that, because they sure as shit seem to handwave a lot of travel away in a matter of minutes these days. They did it in both new movies. Plus, if this is true then it makes no sense. Running across a meteorite the size of a pea should slice through your ship just like Holdo did with the Supremacy. Or do we assume that the computer can calculate and account for random space debris?

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
May want to tell the new movies that, because they sure as shit seem to handwave a lot of travel away in a matter of minutes these days. They did it in both new movies. Plus, if this is true then it makes no sense. Running across a meteorite the size of a pea should slice through your ship just like Holdo did with the Supremacy. Or do we assume that the computer can calculate and account for random space debris?

Don't know how Star Wars handles small debris, but in Trek, the deflector compensates for that.

Also, the travel time in TLJ for Finn/Rose was covered when Finn comments on how fast their cruiser can travel, "Man, it really moves!"

• 1Like

Royal

Collisions can and do happen in hyperspace. It goes back to Rebels again but the purrgil were a type of creature that could travel through hyperspace lanes and were generally hated by pilots because of the potential for fatal collisions with them.

• 1Like

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Collisions can and do happen in hyperspace. It goes back to Rebels again but the purrgil were a type of creature that could travel through hyperspace lanes and were generally hated by pilots because of the potential for fatal collisions with them.
Gotta provide these wannabe fans with actual footage or they will never understand bro.

• 2Like

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
The OST is so good that I don't remember ANY music piece from the movie.
Even prequel #1 had good moments (due of the fates for example)....oh Christ, am i refering TPM?

• 1Worf

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
The Expanse books do a really good job at explaining how space battles would **actually** work. It's actually really mind blowing. One thing that struck me in particular is that most ships would be battling at a massive range. For example if a Star Destroyer and a Mon Calamari Cruiser (Home One/Two) were in a battle, they'd likely be like 200 miles away from each other. And when you look at the dimensions of these capitals, it certainly makes sense. Lots of SW space battles don't make sense. Proving that a hyperspace collision is talked about in Rebels does not remove the bad logic and bad story choice of a collision in The Last Jedi. Lol I can't remember what logical fallacy that is, but it's one of the dumber ones. It's like writing down on a piece of paper that 1+1=3 and then telling someone hey, 1+1=3, and using your piece of paper as reference that it's true.

So you're on the wrong point. The point is, adding it now, 40 years into Star Wars, fucks with the entirety of Star Wars canon because it does indeed make hyperspace autopilot collisions the best weapon. I've heard some dumb excuses like "oh the rebelion/resistance doesn't have enough ships to spare for that" but that's bullshit. It's extremely cost efficient based on how destructive they are shown to be in the film. They're weapon #1 apparently. And that fucks everything. That's the problem. Not that it doesn't belong in SW for its own intrinsic reasons, but that it's too late to belong in SW NOW.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
That's a great line and how I feel he treated the entire new trilogy.

Second watch one thing that stood out is the humor. No, not the jokes...

The tone. The tone was camp humor. The first 25 minutes were Spaceballs. After this first 30 minutes or so, you go back to TFA tone and humor again and it stops irking the hell out of you.

It seems that the jokes aren't really the beef of the humor problem. I really wish it was just jokes, but this went way beyond jokes. It's the whole vibe in those first 20-25 minutes. This movie will not age well as a result I predict. Spaceballs is spaceballs. It came off as very disrespectful. I'm guessing Rian Johnson had a lot to do with directing that first 25 minutes, because the post 25 minute movie has none of that going on. This makes Rian a little asshat heathen in my book.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like