Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017)

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
, we don’t ever really see anyone get drunk in the Star Wars franchise enough to say that it’s a common occurrence and a conclusion that two people might arrive at independently.

Guess all the scum and villainy in the Cantina were drinking freshly squeezed blue milk

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Lol. Apparently there's a fanfic that was written in 2016 that has a few things very much in common with TLJ.

Something You Should Know about The Last Jedi

Those are a lot of interesting similarities. They're probably making too much of that Jan 2016 date though. Johnson was writing the script while TFA was still shooting and TLJ began production in Feb 2016 a couple of weeks before the first installment of the fanfic was complete and posted. The second and third weren't posted until it was well into production. Though scripts frequently get minor adjustments made to them over the course of shooting.

If anyone was heavily invested into proving the potential of plagiarism or defending Johnson against the same they could pour over the fanfic and compare the individual chapter posting dates to when the specific scenes were shot. There are some fans who follow the production so closely that they can dissect the finished movie to that degree (and indeed some of the fan theories that crop up prior to release are born out of people making guesses based on that information). That would be another high entry on the "just how bored do you have to be" scale though.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
When you write a million fucken words . . . you're gonna likely get a few matched ideas or plot pieces with TLJ

• 1Worf

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Youtube wants you know that the last jedi is just fine. This was a recommended video for me by youtube. I haven't noticed this feature before where they recommend a video a placed it on lists for other videos while another video is playing. The video playing being unrelated to the subject of the last jedi. They of course recommend videos, but always did it off search screen not in a active video. Funny how it's message is basically and attack on star wars fans. It also odd because almost every review I've watched on youtube have been brutal toward the last jedi. Why they think I want to here a sniveling millennial corporate shill tell me all fans are just haters is beyond me.

Royal

They've recommended videos based on the current video you're watching for some time now. If a lot of other people who watched the video you were viewing also watched that missing the point video, then it will bump up the chances for it to be recommended. And if we're gonna rely on anecdotes for determining if YouTube is trying to push one side or the other on the response to the movie I've had a good mixture of positive and negative videos showing up in my recommended list since the release.

Last edited:

Khane

Got something right about marriage
When you write a million fucken words . . . you're gonna likely get a few matched ideas or plot pieces with TLJ

Yea it's all about word count. Which is why the LoTR trilogy has so much in common with the Bible. Right?

Don't be a dumbass.

• 2Worf
  • 1Picard

kroenen

Regimen Morum
Continents are subjective,
Facts,
Is it one country, yes
Are they engulfed in native dindus, yes
Is there water on every edge of land mass, yes

Island

Spin it anyway you like, but the fact is that Australia rests on its own tectonic plate called the Australian Plate, and has its own unique flora and fauna, so it is a continent.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Not sure if this was posted already but this thread is far more entertaining than the actual film.

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Seriously. At this point it goes without saying. Why didn't they just take the Thrawn Trilogy? I hurd you like printing money and making coherent stories Disney!

• 3Solidarity

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Seriously. At this point it goes without saying. Why didn't they just take the Thrawn Trilogy? I hurd you like printing money and making coherent stories Disney!
Probably because the original cast is too old for those roles at this point.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Spin it anyway you like, but the fact is that Australia rests on its own tectonic plate called the Australian Plate, and has its own unique flora and fauna, so it is a continent.
Guys, North and South America are surrounded by water and are therefore one big island

• 3Worf

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
yeah I have a feeling Rian Johnson didnt read this shit.

However the fact that he came up with the same story elements as whatever landwhale wrote that shit says a lot about the quality of his writing.

Ordinarily I'd think the same thing, except the scene with Luke is also a pretty direct ripoff of Fury (Star Wars novel) - Wikipedia

Plagiarizing from several different sources is a decent tactic to avoid getting caught, but it seems like he underestimated the power of the autism side.

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
It makes sense as a thing a shitty writer would do. I mean, what better way to get to know what TFA's biggest fans want more of than to read some popular fanfics for inspiration?

• 1Barf
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Royal

Ordinarily I'd think the same thing, except the scene with Luke is also a pretty direct ripoff of Fury (Star Wars novel) - Wikipedia

Plagiarizing from several different sources is a decent tactic to avoid getting caught, but it seems like he underestimated the power of the autism side.

Even if he did get the idea from that book or it was suggested to him by someone who had read it, Lucasfilm owns all of the Legends materials. Mining them for concepts and story ideas was one of the things that was pointed out when the old EU was scrapped.

• 1Solidarity

Royal

I mean, what better way to get to know what TFA's biggest fans want more of than to read some popular fanfics for inspiration?

He'd want to know what fans of TFA wanted more of badly enough to read over god only knows how many fanfics (a depressing notion all by itself) and then make a movie that many of those same fans say failed to deliver on anything that TFA set up?

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Even if he did get the idea from that book or it was suggested to him by someone who had read it, Lucasfilm owns all of the Legends materials. Mining them for concepts and story ideas was one of the things that was pointed out when the old EU was scrapped.

Big difference between taking inspiration from something vs just straight up ripping it off.

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
He'd want to know what fans of TFA wanted more of badly enough to read over god only knows how many fanfics (a depressing notion all by itself) and then make a movie that many of those same fans say failed to deliver on anything that TFA set up?

It's so weird that thousands of people all over the world have been calling Johnson a pathetic excuse for a writer ever since TLJ was released and now you just described exactly a thing that only a shitty talentless hack would do. I don't understand how that could happen.

Royal

It's so weird that thousands of people all over the world have been calling Johnson a pathetic excuse for a writer ever since TLJ was released and now you just described exactly a thing that only a shitty talentless hack would do. I don't understand how that could happen.

I'm saying it seems to me that if he was so interested in just pleasing fans of the previous movie he wouldn't have had to go to the trouble of reading a bunch of fanfics to find out the sorts of things they would like. He wouldn't have to go past social media for that and it would have been a lot harder for people to connect the dots afterwards. All of those payoffs that people are saying they didn't get would have written themselves.