Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017)

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I agree, thats why I said biological parents. Her parents could be nobodies, but maybe Obi Wan felt the force in her or something during his travels and paid that merchant on the sand planet to hide her away or something. Even though its kind of cliche, It would work. Like a secret apprentice. And yeah hopefully they use the wizard did it theory and ditch any further communication between the two.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Episode 9 can still be OK. I mean, what were the absolute dumbest things about episode 8?

Now I have admittedly not even watched the entire film, but I have read the major plot points.

So the dumbest things that happened were (from the consensus I have gathered)....

Snoke's stupid death, and unexplained back story.

Luke's stupid death and associated opportunity loss.

The handling of Leia.

Finn's entire arc, Rose and Phasma being useless.

Rey's apparent non-important lineage and associated opportunity loss.

The entire plot in the end concerning the resistance and their entire motives given the outcome of what happened with Luke's force projection and death and Finns attempted suicide mission and all of the conundrums associated with that ( what was accomplished, why did they do what they did etc)

Now I didnt list those in order of how dumb each plot point was, just listed them in general. Some of those things are redeemable, and some arent. There are even more dumb things in this movie, such as the wasted screen-time with Canto Bight, the ridiculous gravity bomber scene space battle early on, Marry Poppins Leia, the list goes on and on. But the major points that people are upset with I have listed (did I miss any?). JJ Abrams has a huge task ahead of him, but he can rework the whole Rey backstory thing and give it more weight, (even if it doesnt mean associating her with previous characters from a biological standpoint) He can still somehow revive Finns existence and make him more integral to the story or actually give him the death he should of gotten during the final battle in episode 8. Leia and Carrie Fisher passing away will be interesting as to how they go about writing her out, but if he does it right he can theoretically wrap that up in a way that fans are OK with. The two things he cant take back is Snoke's death, and Lukes death. Those are huge fucking problems. Obviously most fans would have probably preferred that Luke died in a dignified way after being a fucking badass at somepoint at the end of EP 9, and Snoke could have been further explored and remained a nebulous force that was still providing some type of balance to Kylo (instead of the stupid fucking force communication bullshit with Rey).

So with that said, Im not sure how JJ can repair something that is so utterly broken. He also obviously cant fix a retarded plot that was ep 8 and everything associated with the characters actions and "growth" that they experienced in that film. He cant just wipe all that shit away and start over. He has to somehow manage all of those frayed plot lines and weave them back together to not only bring closure to this trilogy, but basically salvage the entire franchise in fans' eyes.

edit: As far as what he COULD do, I think he needs to keep it simple. That involves giving fans what they want, kind of like what he did with Ep 7. So that means somehow linking Rey to Obi Wan, whether she was like secretly orphaned, or there is something to her unique place in the Star Wars universe in terms of the world itself, not just her being randomly "special". Give some type of explanation of what Snokes motives truly were, why he was doing what he was doing, where he came from, etc. Maybe do it in a way where Kylo is reflecting so its not so heavy handed. Lastly, he can pay homage to Luke by using his force ghost as some type of mechanism that provides council and or encouragement to Rey or something just so fans can get some "revenge" on Rian Johnson and get their Luke back in SOME way.

I doubt all of those things will be done, but at the very least he can throw fans a bone and not try to be too clever with how shit shakes out. I honestly wouldnt mind just seeing some great lightsbaer duels, with some badass space battles (not too much as I feel they have focused more on that recently) and awesome new planet locations and visuals that arent fucking stupid. It seems like its a huge task but its still Star Wars, he can do it. As bad as Ep 8 was, Kylo Ren is still kind of interesting and Adam Driver is a great actor. If they do something intelligent with his story arc, and somehow make his end satisfying and clever, he can totally do it.

The the big thing, unfortunate, but yeah, it can all still be saved. 8 will always be remembered for screwing everything up and sucking all the hype from the fans but i J.J. can some how miraculously put the right story in place, maybe we can all still love Star Wars.

J.J. is going to have to some how provide an appropriate amount of fan service, connect a broken story to a better story, and accomplish whatever step up Disney wants for future films (if any).

If I was in his shoes, I would bring characters like Obi-wan and Qui-Gon back for Rey. I would have Luke and Anakin in the film for Kylo. I would have Leia make some ultimate sacrifice. I think Poe is a much better continuation of a Han like character than Finn and company do so I would push him a bit. I would even consider having Snoke being a less villain since they completely minimized his role and have a greater evil that forces Kylo to redeem himself and save Rey and the Jedi order. Even though it seems weak and cliche, I would much rather Kylo be some sort of redeem hero and savior of the order than Rey. I like Rey but I think her character just wasn't treated correctly and i'm far less interested in her than I was before. Maybe if they do something with her story, maybe but I don't think they have the time in 9 to "fix" everything.

Fadaar

That guy
I agree, thats why I said biological parents. Her parents could be nobodies, but maybe Obi Wan felt the force in her or something during his travels and paid that merchant on the sand planet to hide her away or something. Even though its kind of cliche, It would work. Like a secret apprentice. And yeah hopefully they use the wizard did it theory and ditch any further communication between the two.

Uhh I don't know if a timeline has specifically been mentioned in this new series, but in real life years Episode 4 came out 41 years ago. If we're to assume Star Wars parallels that time frame then there's no way Rey was born before Obi-Wan kicked the bucket. Hell, Luke was only a teenager (maybe early 20s, once again don't think his specific age was mentioned) in ANH. There's no way there's only a 20 year gap between Rey and Luke's age. Assuming she's even 30 at the beginning of the current trilogy that still puts her birth a few years after his death. Daisy Ridley is only 25 now, so that'd put her at 23 when TFA came out.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Wurstsalat

Silver Knight of the Realm
I just watched this piece of shit. Took me 2 evenings cause i fell asleep at the first.

• 1Like

Downhammer

Vyemm Raider
Perhaps the biggest problem with the 7-9 trilogy for me is I'm not even sure after two movies what an end to this set even looks like.

Originals ended with emperor's death and end of empire. Prequels ended with making of Vader. How does 9 end in a way that is meaningful for 7-9?

In these new movies the FO isn't some oppressive government (yet) that needs overthrowing. They have big weapons for sure but presumably the galaxy was under republic control even if the capital planet was destroyed. Snoke is dead so unless there's some other yet-to-be-introduced big bad guy the FO isn't all that threatening. Kylo hasn't shown any desire up to this point to oppress the galaxy as much as find a girlfriend/apprentice.

Let's say 9 ends with Kylo coming back to the light and hooking up with Rey. Is that at all satisfying after ~7 hours of movies? If it ends with Rey killing Kylo and the FO do we even care at this point? I just can't envision any finale that would make me feel like this was a legitimate trilogy and not just 3 movies with the same characters.

• 1Solidarity

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
There's only one way to save this. Disney comes out and apologizes for these two movies, states they are no longer canon and should be forgotten, and starts the trilogy over completely from scratch.

Last edited:
  • 7Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 8 users

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
23v7zx.jpg

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
$50 the first line of the next opening crawl reads something like, "With the passing of General Leia..."

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
You guys keep hoping and suggesting there are ways to fix this with episode 9, but you are wrong. Episode 9 is gonna happen and you will get the same bag of turds they fed us the last 2 times. The music will play and opening credits will crawl you'll amped up Star Wars fuck yeah. Then within 2 seconds you will go from full mast to flaccid droopy as fat Asian crosses the silver screen. Then 2 hours later after space Las Vegas horse races and a new SJW fat bitch blue hair General you will realize Mickey Mouse gives zero fucks.

• 1Worf

Rhanyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm pretty sure I'm over the main "trilogy" arcs at this point, they shit the bed, the only thing you're going to get out of it will be smeared in that shit. Extended Universe movies and future live action shows, you're my only hope.

• 1Solidarity

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
More look into the Episode 7-9 creative decision-making.

We learn here that Luke's legend was supposed to be called into question by one of the main characters "Who is Luke Skywalker?" was in the original screenplay. The intent was not to build Luke, but according to JJ and Kennedy, it was meant to be a question of relevance and to make the new generation care less about Luke Skywalker.

Very calculated treatment of Luke. It is not Rian Johnson's fault afterall. This was a part of an overall creative decision executed by Kennedy and JJ specifically (along with Kasdan co-opting) during the planning stages of Episode 7 - 9.

Other highlights were the obvious hints of man-hating-- George is spoken of in dead terms. As in, literally dead. What I drew from that is her "cucks" and subservients like JJ are not viewed as men, rather George is because he was her boss at one point, and she could not break her independent woman principles to pick up the phone and ask a single question while Episode 7 was in production, where they reveal they had doubts about their own creative decisions. If you still don't think 3rd wave feminism played a role in the production of these movies I don't know what to tell you.

I know back when kegkilla was around-- there were a lot of skeptics right here on this forum, and only kegkilla knows who they are, so therefore nobody will be made to eat any crow. But release by release, heat rock after heat rock, I don't think skepticism is valid any longer. Let's remember Colin Treverrow's exit from Episode 9. Let's also remember the exits during the writing of the TFA script itself. More on that later when I explain and cite why Episode 9 cannot possibly be good with Treverrow out.

Last edited:

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
More look into the Episode 7-9 creative decision-making.

We learn here that Luke's legend was supposed to be called into question by one of the main characters "Who is Luke Skywalker?" was in the original screenplay. The intent was not to build Luke, but according to JJ and Kennedy, it was meant to be a question of relevance and to make the new generation care less about Luke Skywalker.

Very calculated treatment of Luke. It is not Rian Johnson's fault afterall. This was a part of an overall creative decision executed by Kennedy and JJ specifically (along with Kasdan co-opting) during the planning stages of Episode 7 - 9.

Other highlights were the obvious hints of man-hating-- George is spoken of in dead terms. As in, literally dead. What I drew from that is her "cucks" and subservients like JJ are not viewed as men, rather George is because he was her boss at one point, and she could not break her independent woman principles to pick up the phone and ask a single question while Episode 7 was in production, where they reveal they had doubts about their own creative decisions. If you still don't think 3rd wave feminism played a role in the production of these movies I don't know what to tell you.

I know back when kegkilla was around-- there were a lot of skeptics right here on this forum, and only kegkilla knows who they are, so therefore nobody will be made to eat any crow. But release by release, heat rock after heat rock, I don't think skepticism is valid any longer. Let's remember Colin Treverrow's exit from Episode 9. Let's also remember the exits during the writing of the TFA script itself. More on that later when I explain and cite why Episode 9 cannot possibly be good with Treverrow out.

Mic Drop? Do these hacks think they nailed it or something? That shirtless Kylo Ren with the most awkward weird ass Camera angle was something you would imagine any Director getting fired for by the way. These star wars movies are so fucking bad that before they are even released they are meme level cringefest.

shirtless_kylo__ben_swolo__by_raphtor-dbxv1qt.jpg

Now if Disney wants to make some big boy dollars they can come to me and I'll make some off shoot R rated Boba Fett movies starring Breckin Meyers

breckin-meyer-0.53.jpg
star-wars-boba-fett-sixth-scale-figure-hot-toys-feature-903351.jpg

• 1Like

hory

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'm not sure this movie had 1 redeeming quality. I'm pretty sure I have a good idea why Carrie Fisher ODed on cocaine and heroin after being part of that abomination. I would find a way to kill myself too.

Worst movie I have ever watched.

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
I said this same thing in a snarky way a few months back. Yes, Rian wrote and directed it, but he wrote EXACTLY what Kennedy and Co wanted. And any parts that were his own ideas had to be approved by them as will.

Star Wars Ep.IX - Working as Intended

Drakurii

Golden Baron of the Realm
just got around to watching this what's the significance of the little boy at the end?

• 1Barf