Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017)

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I saw them make Luke into an even more of a Not-Jedi than Hayden Christiansen, but honestly most of the film was a foggy blur because my eyes rolled so hard after watching a WW2 bombing run happen in zero-g I think I actually sprained my occular nerves. Every $200K Sci-Fi film Roger Corman ever made was better than what Disney did with this.

Fuck you. Battle Beyond the Stars is a masterpiece of cinema.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
1FAA2DB3-F20A-4A55-9C32-84954B22AA1E.jpeg

Phat Lewtz?

• 2Worf
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 2 users

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Fuck you. Battle Beyond the Stars is a masterpiece of cinema.

Corman was a genius. Google actors / directors who got their start working for him, its the whos who in Hollywood Cinema.

Corman is famous for never once making a film that lost money. No one in HW has his track record.

Who doesnt love the original Death Race.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Corman was a genius. Google actors / directors who got their start working for him, its the whos who in Hollywood Cinema.

Corman is famous for never once making a film that lost money. No one in HW has his track record.

Who doesnt love the original Death Race.
the pinball game version was pretty sweet too.

Jive Turkey

Karen
I actually yelled in the theater during that "Bombing" run. I never do that kind of shit. That moment blew right past my filter as I yelled. " There is no gravity in space. How the fuck are bombs dropping"?
Disney did something with that movie that I would have never thought possible. They made a movie worse that the prequels. I am one of those people that will never again watch anything Star Wars from Disney, at the movie theater. A movie would have to get fantastic reviews for me to even reconsider that position. I am not to worried about that happening at this point.

There's gravity in all the ships. The pilot fell to the bottom of the bombing bay and nobody had a problem with that. If there's gravity in the ship, the momentum will carry the bomb as soon as it's in the vacuum of space. But there was a blueprint concept art thingy going around that said the bombs were propelled along their rails by magnetism, so you don't even need gravity.
That said, it's dumb to have to fly over top of a target in space to hit it with a projectile. It takes no additional effort to hurl it from 1000 yards away

• 2Like
  • 1Picard

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
There's gravity in all the ships. The pilot fell to the bottom of the bombing bay and nobody had a problem with that. If there's gravity in the ship, the momentum will carry the bomb as soon as it's in the vacuum of space. But there was a blueprint concept art thingy going around that said the bombs were propelled along their rails by magnetism, so you don't even need gravity.
That said, it's dumb to have to fly over top of a target in space to hit it with a projectile. It takes no additional effort to hurl it from 1000 yards away

Or 1000 miles away.

• 1Like

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Original Star Wars showed that proton torpedoes exist and the prequels showed missiles. Rogue One added ion torpedoes to disable a star destroyer (once one of its shield generator towers was taken out).

But TLJ bombers were slow and only had vertical drop bombs. They were even instructed to fly a tight formation which resulted in a TIE collision taking out multiple bombers because they were too close. Stupidly, it appears the last bomber triggered explosions large enough to engulf the bomber anyways so the design itself is suicide.

Bottom line: Why could these "bombers" not be designed to propel the bombs forward? Change nothing else just make them launch IN FRONT. Down is stupid.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Jive Turkey

Karen
Original Star Wars showed that proton torpedoes exist and the prequels showed missiles. Rogue One added ion torpedoes to disable a star destroyer (once one of its shield generator towers was taken out).

But TLJ bombers were slow and only had vertical drop bombs. They were even instructed to fly a tight formation which resulted in a TIE collision taking out multiple bombers because they were too close. Stupidly, it appears the last bomber triggered explosions large enough to engulf the bomber anyways so the design itself is suicide.

Bottom line: Why could these "bombers" not be designed to propel the bombs forward? Change nothing else just make them launch IN FRONT. Down is stupid.

To be fair, the last bomber didn't trigger an explosion big enough to engulf it, it fell into the explosion... in space... it fell in space

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Jive Turkey

Karen

And why do they have to attack the star destroyers head on? Why not fly at a right angle from above or below?

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
None of the combat in these can make much sense because it's incredibly hard to display what fleet to fleet combat would look like in a 3d capable space within a limit amount of screen time, even when ignoring Newtonian physics.

If the bombers came at the fleet from a more vertical angle, the targets could just use RCS/Thrusters w/e to alter their firing angles to be able to do the space equivalent of being able to "broadside" anything coming from any direction, with only speed/reaction time as a limiter.

The bombers just make no fucking sense. Why would you design a ship to 'drop' bombs in space (da fuck?) instead of just using missile/railgun boats, or kamikaze drone piloted ships loaded to blow similar to naval fire ships. You wouldn't, because it's fucking retarded.

• 1Like

Sludig

My memory is fuzzy but they actually had dummy big bombs in the old tie fighter dos game.

Used on a light bomber that could rapidly drain energy to go really fast and you would speed towards target and lob it.

• 1Solidarity

Malakriss

My memory is fuzzy but they actually had dummy big bombs in the old tie fighter dos game.

Used on a light bomber that could rapidly drain energy to go really fast and you would speed towards target and lob it.
Missile Boat
MGLT (Speed)
  • 122 MGLT with all recharges set to maintenance level
  • 426 MGLT with all recharges fully redirected to engines and SLAM overdrive active
maximum load of eighty concussion missiles; the primary launchers could alternatively hold fifteen proton torpedoes, ten heavy rockets, or five heavy space bombs.
Yeah, the proton bombs were slow as balls but conveniently fired frontal like everything else. So the propulsion of the ship itself could be used to increase the speed of the weapon.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

Those were more like torpedoes and/or mines in practice, often relying on the momentum of the Tie Bomber to deliver them to the target. The fluff reason was having dumb bombers with simple bombs made conventional slicing or ECM measures useless, plus Tie Bombers were both cheap and easy to man.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
The bombing run was very clearly meant to reveal theme through imagery to the viewer, rather than to make sense from a battle strategy or physics standpoint. This was very clearly a conscious production decision.

There is so much actually wrong with this movie. Please fucking stop.

• 3Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I gotta be honest, the nerd analyzing in this thread is so hilarious, that its making me want to watch TLJ again just to goof on more stuff.