Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017)

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
A few people have noticed that the composition of the new poster evokes the memory of the one whose legacy is still unfolding.

TH_VHZiBAfYqCT_A-Zl8FuOREJSbWS1n5Wy4Z9h5rH0.png

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
When I first saw the poster, I immediately saw vader in it, intentional or not. Also the first TV spot pretty much debunks the Trailer misdirection as we get another line from luke and they rey answering with the line she supposedly says to Kylo Ren.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The only thing better than Vader in the poster is... Vader in the movie...

Vader flashback scenes!

*raucous YouTube applause*

Last edited:

Jive Turkey

Karen
Really exciting trailer, with a probable large amount of misdirection and red herrings.

Beyond the obvious interpretation from the footage, a theory that could be picked up from all this is that the "raw power" both Luke and Snoke mention having seen once before is not Kylo's but Rey's. Rey seems to have trouble controlling her power at times, and it could be an interesting twist that Luke's Jedi Temple wasn't destroyed by Kylo Ren but by Rey in her youth as the result of a massive Force backlash when she lost control. Remember in the visions Rey had in TFA, she saw a first person perspective of someone about to smash her face in with a weapon and then getting backstabbed by Kylo Ren with his Knights in the background. Could it be that some sort of temple guard was going to kill her to end the disaster and Kylo saved her and was the one to hide her away on Jakku? It would also explain why in TFA when Kylo is told that BB-8 and Finn were able to escape thanks to "a girl", he goes into a rage and demands "What girl?!". It wouldn't make sense unless he already knew Rey.

The trailer seemingly hints that Kylo was the powerful "raw strength" that Luke saw previously though, and didn't handle it properly and as a result the temple and his students were wiped out. It will be an interesting story either way, but the theory above would be a pretty unexpected twist, and could bring a yet unexplored side to Rey's story, though maybe it would diminish Kylo's own arc a little too much if all the attention focuses on Rey.

If I had to voice one small complaint (though admittedly this is just a trailer), we saw twice the Praetorian Guards in Snoke's room and so far they seem to stay completely immobile in both scenes. Hopefully the marketing images where they are seen swinging swords, polearms and other cool weapons isn't just to sell toys (not only at least) and they'll actually do something. There's enough unmoving red guards in the saga so far, these could do something for a change.

Anyways, great visuals, great soundtrack, seems a lot of cool action scenes, I'm really looking forward to Dec 13th to check it out first showing here.

I think Lukes "This isn't going to go the way you think" in the trailer is being used in a meta way and aimed at the audience. There's definitely some misdirection going on

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
You mean how almost every trailer these days use scenes that aren't even in the movie or at least variations on what actually happens? Or just general editting misdirection?

Royal

The first piece of marketing (Alamo Drafthouse glasses) showing Luke with a lightsaber also shows him with both the good guys and the bad, making the second time so far they've promoted that angle. Then I remember all of the talk about Finn being the new jedi because of the TFA marketing.

The_Light_Side_ART_1_Glass_Merch_Item_640_432_81_s_c1.jpg

The_Dark_Side_ART_1_Glass_Merch_Item_640_432_81_s_c1.jpg

• 1Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Good call cutting Snoke out of that one. 1) its not a Snoke movie and 2) CGI

• 1Solidarity

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The first piece of marketing (Alamo Drafthouse glasses) showing Luke with a lightsaber also shows him with both the good guys and the bad, making the second time so far they've promoted that angle. Then I remember all of the talk about Finn being the new jedi because of the TFA marketing.

The_Light_Side_ART_1_Glass_Merch_Item_640_432_81_s_c1.jpg

The_Dark_Side_ART_1_Glass_Merch_Item_640_432_81_s_c1.jpg

Ever since the theories first showed up I always think back to the whole Luke will "bring balance to the Force" thing from the earlier films - seems to me like it was always planned for him to want both sides to some degree

Royal

Ever since the theories first showed up I always think back to the whole Luke will "bring balance to the Force" thing from the earlier films - seems to me like it was always planned for him to want both sides to some degree

And he at least dabbled in both sides. See the oft cited example from RotJ of him force choking the guards at Jabba's palace. For something more recent in the From A Certain Point Of View collection of short stories there is one that centers on Yoda. His reluctance to train Luke was born out of Luke possessing too many of his father's characteristics (hence Yoda actually wanting to train Leia instead). So him dipping his toe into the dark side, even unintentionally, is not far fetched. That was part of the lesson in the cave on Dagobah; you are your father's son.

Last edited:

Royal

Most of this is more of the same but ...

8de61c598478f52121584598b193f84abf7728d6f851dae0677268231804af5f.jpg

Last edited:

Chris

Potato del Grande
It would be interesting thematically if, as Han let Kylo down, Luke lets Rey down. Ends her training early because he is too scared/emo/damaged and she leaves Luke like Luke left Yoda in Empire.

So then they team up and give each other the answers they need, Rey teaching Kylo love, Kylo teaching Rey about The Force.

It's like poetry, it rhymes!

• 5Barf
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 5 users

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
Then she dumps Kylo for the double team of the black man and the mexican.

And they kill Kylo and ride off into the sunset.

Royal

It would be interesting thematically if, as Han let Kylo down, Luke lets Rey down. Ends her training early because he is too scared/emo/damaged and she leaves Luke like Luke left Yoda in Empire.

So then they team up and give each other the answers they need, Rey teaching Kylo love, Kylo teaching Rey about The Force.

It's like poetry, it rhymes!

I do expect her training to get cut short for some reason (it's not like they're going to be able to spend literally years on that island training as young jedi were meant to) and Luke being the impetus for that does seem likely given what we've seen in the trailers. That would contrast it to Luke leaving his training on Dagobah over Yoda's objections but I could certainly see the First Order knocking the Resistance back on it's heels being what pulls both Luke and Rey into the larger conflict before she's ready. The central protagonist thinking too much of themselves, getting in over their heads, and suffering a major setback is a recurring theme in the franchise (and in storytelling in general).

Last edited:

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
With Hamil being rumored to deliver an Oscar worthy performance, i'm assuming he's going to be playing a complex role. I'm curious to see if he's crazy, conflicted, or has his own unique idea of how the force "should be".

Fadaar

That guy
With Hamil being rumored to deliver an Oscar worthy performance, i'm assuming he's going to be playing a complex role. I'm curious to see if he's crazy, conflicted, or has his own unique idea of how the force "should be".

All of the above?

Royal

I have a hard time imaging Hamill giving an Oscar worthy performance. Best performance of his career? Sure ... maybe. But his acting ability isn't exactly that great. He tends to slip into cliche when he starts throwing himself into a role full tilt. All he needs to do it deliver a good old man Luke and I'll be more than happy.

• 1Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
He tends to slip into cliche when he starts throwing himself into a role full tilt.

Well said. Its like writers who aren't writers. When trying to write something good or try too hard, they begin to write things that have already been written.

That's how you know you aren't a writer. (speaking about songwriting in this instance, not scripts) Everyone I've discussed this with had the same experience. They can't help but start borrowing concepts and even whole lines from other people as they begin to write, other peoples writing just zooms through their head without anything original coming out at all. They don't mean to steal, they are just incapable of creating an original performance. They cannot create anything new. Its just not in them. Best they can come up with is an amalgam that "feels original".

Anyway-- I thought your assessment of Mark Hammil was spot on, I'm looking forward to old man Luke, cliches and all.

Last edited:

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
I have a hard time imaging Hamill giving an Oscar worthy performance. Best performance of his career? Sure ... maybe. But his acting ability isn't exactly that great. He tends to slip into cliche when he starts throwing himself into a role full tilt. All he needs to do it deliver a good old man Luke and I'll be more than happy.

He should have gotten at least an Emmy for his voice over work.

• 1Solidarity