Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017)

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
I'm pretty sure Johnson didn't put that trailer together and that Lucasfilm outsourced it to the same company that did the TFA and R1 trailers. So for all we know it was made up mostly of footage off of the cutting room floor that will never show up on screen.

Royal

Yeah they're all on in the misdirection this time around. Gonna spoil tag even though if you go to the theater very often you're bound to see it anyway.

DLzUmjeVQAAmZm0.jpg

Last edited:

vGrade

Potato del Grande
I'm hoping "the last Jedi" is just because Luke doesn't believe in the "Jedi" as an institution anymore, and pushes Rey into a more cult-independent path. Either she wants to learn from Kylo how to better control her powers from another perspective or they join up to become a new group of Force wielders, without all the religious trappings perhaps that caused so much trouble between Jedi and Sith. Sith already seem to be gone so it makes some sense that way.
That moment when you realize that 'The Last Jedi' can be both singular and plural...

Valishar

Molten Core Raider
That moment when you realize that 'The Last Jedi' can be both singular and plural...
All the foreign language titles of the movie which have to conjugate the noun refer to it as a plural Jedi.

But the director thinks it's a singular.

Figure that out!

Xevy

Log Wizard
So Snoke is totally talking about Rey at the beginning, right? She's like pure retard strength and Kylo is all like practice makes perfect but he'll never be able to beat her. Maybe Snoke pushes Kylo asside to try and recruit Rey and Kylo turns on him and he and Rey go on some Force Finding Journey (TM) to figure their shit out.

I wish Star Wars had a dark side user who wasn't always evil or corrupted. The Dark Side isn't inherently evil, it's just tied to emotions so it's hard to point in the right direction. That's why the Jedi were all basically eunuch monks to prevent them from doing anything but thinking. I want a Kylo Ren Hulk-type who just unleashes on the real bad guys and fucks everything up.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I'm hoping "the last Jedi" is just because Luke doesn't believe in the "Jedi" as an institution anymore, and pushes Rey into a more cult-independent path. Either she wants to learn from Kylo how to better control her powers from another perspective or they join up to become a new group of Force wielders, without all the religious trappings perhaps that caused so much trouble between Jedi and Sith. Sith already seem to be gone so it makes some sense that way.

That is what I'm looking for at the opening of the film. But I don't think you can make a good story out of Luke playing a defeatist the entire flick, it needs a third act.

The third act of this movie is where I need Luke to realize the Jedi is absolutely necessary-- if not one last time. Luke needs to come full circle on this "wahh no more Jedi, I failed too hard in the past" for this movie to deliver to the hardcore fans.

Some of that may need to carry over into Episode 9. But that would be an ideal arc along with any potential Vader redemption arcs for Reyylo/Kylo.

My guess is Luke sacrifices himself as the last Jedi at some point in the 3rd act, or in Episode 9. He won't necessarily kick any ass, so much as commit seppuku. Luke's death will likely be some form of Obi-Wan callback, which makes sense-- and makes him very much a Jedi for dying in that fashion. After he dies, there may be 1 Jedi left, hence the Last Jedi having dual meaning that is open for interpretation.

Is Luke the last jedi because of his jedi sacrifice? Or is Reyylo the last jedi because she has an awakening after Luke's death and its going to be hinted that she is to start the Jedi up again in future movies? The ultimate movie would hopefully leave that up to the viewer to interpret the meaning of Last Jedi. There is going to be a little "hey wait, which one is the last Jedi?" for the viewers to kind of discuss over it after they have seen the movie.

If Disney has real balls, they would make it a Kylo redemption arc, showing even the most heinous of murderers are not beyond redemption, and Kylo would start the Jedi up again in Episode 9.

Last edited:

gak

<Gold Donor>
For those of you parting with the disney shekels, let us know if it's worth a torrent...

sw.jpg

• 6Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
That is what I'm looking for at the opening of the film. But I don't think you can make a good story out of Luke playing a defeatist the entire flick, it needs a third act.

The third act of this movie is where I need Luke to realize the Jedi is absolutely necessary-- if not one last time. Luke needs to come full circle on this "wahh no more Jedi, I failed too hard in the past" for this movie to deliver to the hardcore fans.

Some of that may need to carry over into Episode 9. But that would be an ideal arc along with any potential Vader redemption arcs for Reyylo/Kylo.

My guess is Luke sacrifices himself as the last Jedi at some point in the 3rd act, or in Episode 9. He won't necessarily kick any ass, so much as commit seppuku. Luke's death will likely be some form of Obi-Wan callback, which makes sense-- and makes him very much a Jedi for dying in that fashion. After he dies, there may be 1 Jedi left, hence the Last Jedi having dual meaning that is open for interpretation.

Is Luke the last jedi because of his jedi sacrifice? Or is Reyylo the last jedi because she has an awakening after Luke's death and its going to be hinted that she is to start the Jedi up again in future movies? The ultimate movie would hopefully leave that up to the viewer to interpret the meaning of Last Jedi. There is going to be a little "hey wait, which one is the last Jedi?" for the viewers to kind of discuss over it after they have seen the movie.

Eh, not sure we're on the same page. I don't see Luke abandoning the Jedi as defeatist, I see it as ascendant. The Jedi were, theoretically, a group for good, but they were huge and had weird cultish rules and ultimately F'd themselves in the A. The point isn't that you don't need well trained, good-hearted Force wielders, the point is that you don't need them to be Jedi.

Like, say Obi-Wan had never stuck with the Jedi Order. Would he have magically not been able to use the Force? Not use a Lightsaber? No, he just would have been some decent guy that didn't want to stick with that particular order of Force users. Unless the Jedi killed him for not sticking with them, fearing him going evil or something, but now that there's essentially no Jedi, that (again cultish) risk isn't even there.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Eh, not sure we're on the same page. I don't see Luke abandoning the Jedi as defeatist, I see it as ascendant. The Jedi were, theoretically, a group for good, but they were huge and had weird cultish rules and ultimately F'd themselves in the A. The point isn't that you don't need well trained, good-hearted Force wielders, the point is that you don't need them to be Jedi.

That is meta though. The question is does Luke's character feel that way about the Jedi? It remains to be seen. I was just going based off of the trailer, which showed us a failure and destruction that may have been against Luke's wishes, depending how you interpret it. Its implied a student destroyed the Temple. Is it misdirection? Possibly.

From what we have been shown in the trailer, the destruction of the Jedi temple is presented as a sort of failure by Luke.

Its all meta until the characters actually show us some blurred lines, and the stuff we are theorizing about is actually in the plot itself. That is what we should get in Episode 8, answers as to the intent of the force plotline, no doubt about that.

Last edited:

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I would love it if luke was referring to himself. The only other time he saw such raw potential was himself and HE destroyed the temple

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Royal

I would love it if luke was referring to himself. The only other time he saw such raw potential was himself and HE destroyed the temple

There is a fan theory out there of that being how it all went down. The problem is it directly contradicts what Han told Rey and Finn in TFA, that it was one of his pupils who did it. But then we get into the whole issue of does everyone else know the full truth of what really happened.

But as for that line it really is open to interpretation as to who he is talking about. Kylo/Ben seems the obvious answer in the context of the current trilogy but is it perhaps Palpatine? Has he encountered Snoke before in some form?

• 1Like

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
That is meta though. The question is does Luke's character feel that way about the Jedi? It remains to be seen. I was just going based off of the trailer, which showed us a failure and destruction that may have been against Luke's wishes, depending how you interpret it. Its implied a student destroyed the Temple. Is it misdirection? Possibly.

From what we have been shown in the trailer, the destruction of the Jedi temple is presented as a sort of failure by Luke.

Its all meta until the characters actually show us some blurred lines, and the stuff we are theorizing about is actually in the plot itself. That is what we should get in Episode 8, answers as to the intent of the force plotline, no doubt about that.
It's not that meta though is it? We already have Kylo being not-a-Sith and we don't know what the Knights of Ren (sp?) are or if they're Force users in their ranks. Snoke appears to be a Force user but by all logic he can't be a Sith either. Unless he secretly took it upon himself to be one after Palpatine and Vader died and is actually treating Kylo as the apprentice and the non-Sithiness is all a fake but that's a really dumb twist if so. And even if Snoke IS a Sith now that still means he wasn't at some point, according to the tenants of the Sith, and he definitely wasn't a Jedi. Probably. So he is another Force user that wasn't Sith or Jedi.

I guess the question is, are they dancing around the whole not-Sith thing on purpose and it's a major part of the universe development, showing a more broad possibility of Force users down the road, or are they just being coy and rebranding the Sith and not developing the universe at all.

• 1Like

Royal

Rian Johnson addressed this on twitter. No CGI according to him (and Joonas)

I know prosthetics and masks used in movies have come a long way in 40 years but I don't recall Chewie's face being that expressive even as recently as TFA. It just looks like it's had some amount of enhancement in that shot (or maybe even dehancement to make the obviously CGI'd porg not stand out so much in the side by side). If it truly hasn't been touched up then they need to consider going back a generation or two on their masks. When you make a practical effect that has looked believable for four decades look less believable, you're doing it wrong.

• 1Like

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Was that a new lightsaber Kylo was grabbing? I thought it looked cool, then remembered the shitty one he had in TFA with the lazor hilt. Not sure if I just didn't see the side emitters or if he has a new one.

Royal

Was that a new lightsaber Kylo was grabbing? I thought it looked cool, then remembered the shitty one he had in TFA with the lazor hilt. Not sure if I just didn't see the side emitters or if he has a new one.

It's the old one I assume. He has the old one in all of the images they've released with him using a lightsaber.

• 1Like