Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017)

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
His best must have been good enough. One of the most consistent points of praise I've seen so far is for his performance as Luke.

Yeah, I mean, maybe the dude is an idiot IRL, and his opinions are like shit, right?

Caliane

I watched Stuckman's review as well. I think he said it explores the same sort of questions that a new character (ie. Rey) would have when exposed to the assumed truths of the force for the first time. I've seen several reviewers say that in many ways it blows the established understanding of the force apart by posing as many additional questions as it seems to answer (which Stuckman also seemed to echo). That won't sit well with some unto itself though (canon junkies mostly).
yeah, and its not that I dont think it can't be explored at all. or, there are no good answers. I am just very wary of it.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I love Mark Hammill, but I read in an interview recently that he holds Lucas in very high esteem and would have liked for Disney to use Lucas ideas for episode 7-9.

So I have some reservation about his judgement concerning Star Wars story direction. :)

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Biggest criticism I've seen so far that seems to stretch across different crowds is the lack of complication of Kylo Ren when compared to expectations.

Most of the tempered criticism seems focused on what may have amounted to a bait-n-switch regarding his character development teased in the trailers and in TFA.

Based on Rian Johnsons own comments on Kylo Ren, I have assumed he had very little to do with the outcome here. This was a "Leave that for Episode 9, lets not close the door on that, lets not shut any doors on JJ" executive decision. Which is just a tad of a let down. I really believe if Rian was shooting 9 we would have got his intended version of Kylo Ren.

SO yeah-- its still fuck Abrams! *clangs 2 beers together overhead in best Stone Cold Steve Austin impression*

Last edited:

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
They mash together a few web shows into their parody. Screen Junkies is another in their mix.
Like those hack frauds would get tickets to LA!

(I guess if you've never seen RLM before, you'd have no idea what they're doing, but are we really this slow as a people to not see it for the comedic parody that it is?)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
I love Mark Hammill, but I read in an interview recently that he holds Lucas in very high esteem and would have liked for Disney to use Lucas ideas for episode 7-9.

So I have some reservation about his judgement concerning Star Wars story direction. :)
He probably has a staid view of the characters based on his firsthand impression. He stored these impressions for decades in his memory and here comes a bunch of ankle biters continuing the yarn. Star Wars needed to go past its 70s origination in order to strengthen.

• 1Like

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
yeah, and its not that I dont think it can't be explored at all. or, there are no good answers. I am just very wary of it.

Yeah. It gets brought up all the time particularly in discussions of the prequels that demystifying all of the background elements and secondary characters is something that comes with peril. If you're going to risk filling in the blanks even if you come up with something that a lot of people like it will never be as broadly satisfying as people imagining the possibilities. Supplying answers that lead to equally compelling questions of their own is probably an even trickier needle to thread.

And that doesn't even get into the issue of how much appeal a deep dive into force lore has for an audience in general. Hardcore fans would love it, practically no one else would though.

Last edited:

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
i love mark hamil. he gets a lot of flack for being the poorest actor out of the original trilogy's cast, but his voice work is on another level entirely. we all know he's THE joker to beat but he also did voices like swamp thing and solomon grundy. on top of just random other voices throughout all kinds of shows that you'd never place.

all that being said. he's not a writer. well his imdb page tells me different, but he's not a movie writer, at least. there's a reason why successful writers RARELY star in their own productions.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I checked a couple of review yesterday, seem positive. Then I saw the CNN movie review guy, he lit it the fuck up, compared it to the prequels. Harsh.

• 1Picard
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Royal

Yeah the reviews that haven't been positive hand tended to lite it up. The people who don't like it seem to really hate it.

The reviews that have had more moderate issues with it have usually mentioned ill-timed humor (with comparisons made to the Marvel movies) and Finn/Canto Bight storyline feeling like a needless distraction because while it concerns an important task for the plot it's not terribly interesting. Some also mention that it's the most un-Star Wars setting to show up in the movies to date.

Last edited:

ziggyholiday

<Bronze Donator>
i-want-to-believe.jpg

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
Saw it this morning. It was very satisfying, not perfect but extremely entertaining. Great action scenes, a LOT of humor, but also some truely badass moments. Mark Hamill was everything I wanted and more, amazing. I enjoyed TFA and Rogue One but I also understand TFA relied heavily on ANH beats, this was mostly its own thing. Also, a lot of surprises, I suggest going in as blind as you can.

Feel free to ask me questions if you want some opinions, I promise not to spoil things even if you ask for stuff that could be a spoiler.

ziggyholiday

<Bronze Donator>
Saw it this morning. It was very satisfying, not perfect but extremely entertaining. Great action scenes, a LOT of humor, but also some truely badass moments. Mark Hamill was everything I wanted and more, amazing. I enjoyed TFA and Rogue One but I also understand TFA relied heavily on ANH beats, this was mostly its own thing. Also, a lot of surprises, I suggest going in as blind as you can.

Feel free to ask me questions if you want some opinions, I promise not to spoil things even if you ask for stuff that could be a spoiler.

This was my main problem with TFA (I did like TFA though), glad to hear that's not that case with TLJ and that it's good!

Royal

Since you mentioned TFA ...

When the criticisms of TFA being nothing more than a rehash of the previous movies started surfacing some of those who liked it in spite of it having so many familiar beats pointed out that Abrams had to return the franchise to a familiar starting point so that the movies to follow would have more freedom to go into new territory. He was trying to restore the goodwill of the long time fans.

How effective of a follow through on that effort do you think TLJ is?

• 1Like

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
Since you mentioned TFA ...

When the criticisms of TFA being nothing more than a rehash of the previous movies started surfacing some of those who liked it in spite of it having so many familiar beats pointed out that Abrams had to return the franchise to a familiar starting point so that the movies to follow would have more freedom to go into new territory. He was trying to restore the goodwill of the long time fans.

How effective of a follow through on that effort do you think TLJ is?

Well, you're going to find elements that are familiar in any sequel, because it's a story in a set universe and there's only a finite number of things that can happen. For instance, you already know from the trailers that Rey is taken to Snoke's chambers and of course that can be reminiscent of Luke being taken to Palpatine's chambers in ROTJ, the Hoth battle can (at a glance) look similar to the Crait battle (it's not, it's totally different)..

As to your question, I think if the initial intent of TFA being on such familiar territory was 1) to buy good will from the fans after the prequel backlash and 2) to allow for some new unexplored directions, then I do think it paid off because this movie goes into very much unexplored directions.

I had seen all the trailers and some TV spots, only stopped reading this thread about 2-3 days ago for fear of leaks/spoilers, but I was still VERY surprised by some turns of events and it is going to lead into an interesting conclusion that should not feel like a rehash of 6 either.

• 1Like

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
What a pile of shit. Holy fuckin shit
Im still in shock.
Same things were well thought but the majority......garbage
3/10

• 6Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 6 users