Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017)

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
More fixes, Leia dies before using the force. Delete the entire purple haired garbage, cgi in Admiral Ackbar over her for the penultimate scene. (of course instead of Leia living for 9, now Luke does.) Maybe these trainwrecks could be fixed in time.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I would say that the upcoming Episode 9 is the least I've looked forward to a Star Wars film ever, but I can't even say that, because I at least looked forward to Ep1, Ep2, Ep3, TFA and Rogue One. But right now I genuinely don't give two shits about Episode 9. I am not excited whatsoever. Am I supposed to be excited? What exactly has it built up to? Is this for real? Am I dreaming? I'm a die hard SW fan. I've been to 7 Star Wars Celebrations, spending like $20k just to go to conventions over my lifetime... I've been a fan and collector for over 23 years and I actually enjoy the prequels, despite never rewatching them much as I rewatch the original triology, they brought me some joy because I was a teenager (13 when ep1 came out) and they have their moments and they are at least Star Wars, if badly done.

But The Last Jedi? Lol. I think I enjoyed about 3 scenes. For someone that loves SW so much that they even have love for the prequels to say that one of the SW films is bad is saying something. I mean I was one of the very few that said TFA wasn't great as soon as it came out, which was a huge letdown for me. So I wasn't expecting much with The Last Jedi despite the amazing trailers and fantastic fan theories, and boy was I let down. I should have expected pure utter shit and then maybe I'd only have been midly disappointed.

At first I thought after the viewer reviews came out that maybe it was just because they went too hardcore diversity, which I could have lived with if the story was good (they did, even as a liberal, for fucksake they did, please for fucksake stoppppp, the purple haired lady wasn't even a great actor, had she been a great actor like Mothma it would have been better, but I guess she had the right look so they hired someone shit), and that it was just being mass downvoted by right wing pepe trolls. But nopppe, it's genuinely bad.

LOL the fact that nobody figured out the plot of the movie is **NOT** a point in your favor Rian Johnson, it's a point AGAINST you. Your plot was so fucking stupid that nobody even bothered to think a professional would write something so dumb, breaking so many basic rules of writing. And these aren't rules you break to be innovative, these are rules you don't break because if you do, you're simply cheating and you're writing garbage and you're not telling stories in ways that connect with people. Snoke was like... a blowjob where just before the guy busts a nut, the blowjob stops and he gets punched in the face and is told LOLJK.

I can't even. I don't have the words...

I had family shit so this was the first SW film since I've been alive that I didn't see at midnight and only saw just now, but I can't say I wasn't even feeling that excited anyways after TFA so it didn't bother me. But fuck, I wish I'd just never watched it at all.

I don't even care. Fucking hell man.

A tangent, but Laura Dern, the purple haired lady is a good actress with some renown (two Oscar noms, six Emmy noms and one win); her performance is probably what Rian wanted, not necessarily all she was capable of. So, again, it goes back to him.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
A tangent, but Laura Dern, the purple haired lady is a good actress with some renown (two Oscar noms, six Emmy noms and one win); her performance is probably what Rian wanted, not necessarily all she was capable of. So, again, it goes back to him.

Yeah I saw that afterward. I did not recognize her in Last Jedi. She's normally fantastic. She sure sucked balls in Star Wars though.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Yeah, now we're going to need more prequels for these movies so they can flesh out characters like this. I can't wait.

• 3Barf
Reactions: 2 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
George-Lucas-Without-a-Beard.jpg
Better than the Superman mustache cgi....

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Zweischneid

Molten Core Raider
The Critic Rotten Tomatoes score really pisses me off. How long has RT been totally 100% corrupt? It used to be pretty accurate. I always cross check viewer/critic % on films that I know critics are pompous about, but Disney seriously paid off every critic? I refuse to believe that 93% of critics find it great. I just refuse. Or is this film a symbol for something and they are all scared?

A. It's a good movie. Basement Neckbeards getting their panties in a twist because Snoke isn't Darth Plague-eggs doesn't change this being one of the 4 (or 4 1/2, if you count half of RotJ) good Star Wars movies.

B. 93% of critics don't need to say it's great. 93% of critics simply need to give it a 6/10 for that RT score.

• 11Picard
  • 1Like
Reactions: 11 users

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Okay, Finn's whole storyline was completely unnecessary; it really does feel like they couldn't come up with any significant role he could play in the story, but they couldn't very well have one of the main characters just not show up for an entire movie, so someone just came up with some random bullshit for him to do while the actual narrative is happening.

But you know what? Fuck it. That aside, I actually liked the movie. And going against the general tenor here, I felt Luke was the highlight of the movie. I liked him being a disillusioned snarky fuck, and while it was a big change from where he was in the OT, I felt like what happened to him adequately justified it.

Man I was even down with Luke projecting a spry version of himself across a galaxy, it was badassery levels of power, but the real problem with having him disappear after is you'll never get the fucking payoff of Kylo and Luke REALLY going at it.

Like, if JJ fucking has him come back and pretend he was just exhausted and had to take some time to gather the force back together enough to materialize his body I'd be AOK with that.

The ending of this movie was just horse shit trash.

They could actually do that, without even undoing his death. They showed Yoda being able to manifest enough physicality to whack Luke with his cane, so I guess Luke could conceivably smack Kylo around, even as a ghost. I doubt they'll actually do that, but they could.

• 3Picard
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I just came back from seeing it and loved it. That said, I didn’t leave the theater with the usual level of excitement I get from a Star Wars movie.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users

Grivyn

Molten Core Raider
Upon further reflection about this movie 4 days after seeing it, I feel I need to sit down and binge watch the 3 originals to get the taint out of my mind and refresh why the originals hold such a high place in my childhood.

• 5Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Really wanted this to be as good as some (very easy to please) critics claimed it was.. But I, in good faith, cannot call this one "a good movie". It wasn't bad necessarily, it just wasn't good either. Above-average.

Here's to hoping Abrams can make a really solid Episode IX.

• 2Solidarity

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
I would say that the upcoming Episode 9 is the least I've looked forward to a Star Wars film ever, but I can't even say that, because I at least looked forward to Ep1, Ep2, Ep3, TFA and Rogue One. But right now I genuinely don't give two shits about Episode 9. I am not excited whatsoever. Am I supposed to be excited? What exactly has it built up to? Is this for real? Am I dreaming? I'm a die hard SW fan. I've been to 7 Star Wars Celebrations, spending like $20k just to go to conventions over my lifetime... I've been a fan and collector for over 23 years and I actually enjoy the prequels, despite never rewatching them much as I rewatch the original triology, they brought me some joy because I was a teenager (13 when ep1 came out) and they have their moments and they are at least Star Wars, if badly done.

Its so interesting to me how you and I share just about the same nerd/collector cred for SW (except you have me beat by Celebration attendance by a long shot, but I've got you on years of fandom by at least a decade, since the original being the first movie I ever saw in a theater) and I loved this movie (also a gigantic fan of TFA). I don't think this is a perfect movie, only Empire even comes close to that in this entire franchise, but I think the positives in this so far outweigh the few negatives that they are negligible to me, after 3 viewings now. Can't help but feel there's a ton of Goldilocks syndrome going on with these new films (not with you specifically). TFA too much like old stuff!! TLJ not enough like old stuff!! Maybe I'm not smart enough to see all the flaws that have pissed everyone else on here off. Maybe I'm lucky for that.

• 2Like
  • 1Barf
  • 1Picard

DaliLhama

Golden Squire
Yeah not to thrilled with this one, loved Force Awakens even with its similarities to New Hope but it worked and was fun. So disappointed with many scenes and the movie in general to be honest, looked fantastic but the story was so back and forth that it was so off putting to invest in anything plotwise so i just stared at the screen till it finished. Kids LOVED it though.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
LEGGO.

Given that he is now acting in movies written by Johnson and Abrams, who were kids when the original movies came out, does he feel as if he is acting in their fan fiction?

“Yeah, kinda!” he laughs. “I said to Rian: ‘I’m sure 30 years ago you were playing with little figures of me, making up stories on a little play set. And now here it is, writ large.’” lmao

But Johnson’s toys presumably didn’t argue back, as Hamill made a point of doing. When he first read the script, he disagreed with “almost everything” Johnson had written, starting with Luke’s self-imposed isolation on an island on the planet of Ahch-To.

“Even if I was traumatised by something, I might take a year of meditation, but he would double down and come back harder. Jedis don’t give up!” he says, switching, as he often does when talking about Luke, between the first and third person. “But it’s not my story any more and I just have to accept that. And I then bonded very deeply with Rian, but I had to let him know how I felt.”

Yet, whether it is Johnson’s script or Hamill’s maturity, he has never been better than he is in the new movie, playing the grumpy elder statesman, alternating easily between solemnity and wisecracks. It is a truly triumphant comeback, and, given that Fisher won’t be back in the next Star Wars, it seems a safe bet that Hamill will be, although he is coy about answering. But the question makes him think, inevitably, about Fisher again.

Star Wars' Mark Hamill – ‘I said to Carrie Fisher: I’m a good kisser – next, we’re making out like teenagers!’

The author says Mark can't spill the beans-- but it seems they've been spilled, if you read between the lines. Coyness and referencing Fisher when pressed, seems the door was opened.

I'll bank right now Luke Skywalker is in Ep 9 with Carrie gone.

Last edited:
  • 2Solidarity

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
And while I never, ever thought I'd say something that sounds so "alt rightish/red pillish" this film honestly felt like boys vs girls. If it wasn't for Phasma it'd literally have been "Star Wars: Boys VS: Girls & Their Whiteknights". What the actual fuck? This is coming from a left liberal feminist. I want to throw up.

Edit: Seriously, were there any male characters that made the right/good choice in this film without the help of a woman? I can't believe I'm even saying something like this, but wow.

Okay so one character. Benicio Del Toro. Insofar as he made the right choice for him personally, and came out ahead. And I bet that was merely because of Del Toro's negotiating power as an actor. I'm pretty sure if it wasn't for that Phasma would have shot him dead after the exchange and said "haha, stupid boy."

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 2Solidarity

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
LEGGO.

Given that he is now acting in movies written by Johnson and Abrams, who were kids when the original movies came out, does he feel as if he is acting in their fan fiction?

“Yeah, kinda!” he laughs. “I said to Rian: ‘I’m sure 30 years ago you were playing with little figures of me, making up stories on a little play set. And now here it is, writ large.’” lmao

But Johnson’s toys presumably didn’t argue back, as Hamill made a point of doing. When he first read the script, he disagreed with “almost everything” Johnson had written, starting with Luke’s self-imposed isolation on an island on the planet of Ahch-To.

“Even if I was traumatised by something, I might take a year of meditation, but he would double down and come back harder. Jedis don’t give up!” he says, switching, as he often does when talking about Luke, between the first and third person. “But it’s not my story any more and I just have to accept that. And I then bonded very deeply with Rian, but I had to let him know how I felt.”

Yet, whether it is Johnson’s script or Hamill’s maturity, he has never been better than he is in the new movie, playing the grumpy elder statesman, alternating easily between solemnity and wisecracks. It is a truly triumphant comeback, and, given that Fisher won’t be back in the next Star Wars, it seems a safe bet that Hamill will be, although he is coy about answering. But the question makes him think, inevitably, about Fisher again.

Star Wars' Mark Hamill – ‘I said to Carrie Fisher: I’m a good kisser – next, we’re making out like teenagers!’

The author says Mark can't spill the beans-- but it seems they've been spilled, if you read between the lines. Coyness and referencing Fisher when pressed, seems the door was opened.

I'll bank right now Luke Skywalker is in Ep 9 with Carrie gone.
I don't see why Hamil would be back after the retardation of this movie. He was great in the movie, but what was written for him was awful. Same could be said about Laura Dern, Finn, Phasma, all the rebels, all the first order and most of the movie. Whoever wrote this movie should be canned, but it's likely they're getting pats on the back and bonus checks.

• 3Solidarity
  • 2Like

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I don't see why Hamil would be back after the retardation of this movie. He was great in the movie, but what was written for him was awful. Same could be said about Laura Dern, Finn, Phasma, all the rebels, all the first order and most of the movie. Whoever wrote this movie should be canned, but it's likely they're getting pats on the back and bonus checks.

Maybe no pats on the back, that's sexual harassment these days.

• 5Worf

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
They could actually do that, without even undoing his death. They showed Yoda being able to manifest enough physicality to whack Luke with his cane, so I guess Luke could conceivably smack Kylo around, even as a ghost. I doubt they'll actually do that, but they could.

Lucasfilm likes to reuse/repurpose old concept art and ideas from Star Wars' past. They have a particular fetish for Ralph McQuarrie concept art that was never utilized.

One of Lucas's old ideas that was in some of the original RotJ scripts that was eventually removed was the force ghosts of Ben and Yoda being able to assume a physical form and affect things. He had them helping Luke against Vader and the Emperor in the throne room scene in the early drafts. That was probably the basis for what we saw Yoda do in TLJ. I wouldn't be surprised to see them play around with that more going forward.