Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
How about the dumbest shit ever?

How did Yoda, a master of such unbelievable repute, miss the fact that Leia was such a bad-ass with the force?

fml

"That boy is our last hope"

"No, there is another"

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

goishen

Macho Ma'am
Right, but if Yoda knew that she was such a bad-ass, why wouldn't he just be like, "Yah, no, I'm not interested in Luke, bring me Leia...."

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fadaar

That guy
It was in the books...

Not a valid response to any movie related problems. Same shit with how the First Order came to be and their backstory, fuck all in the movies but guess what there's boooooks!

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
When Kylo and Rey do their AT&T moments, Kylo remarked last movie "You're not doing this... the effort would kill you" (Which of course foreshadows Luke dying due to astral projecting so long). Snoke then says it was he who was getting them to communicate to each other.

Which leads to plot hole 149 with this film: Snoke is dead, but they continue to AT&T each other.

I understand Snoke was created by Sidious but was Snoke just a literal avatar/puppet that Sidious was "talking through" or a living being capable of his own thoughts / actions?

Because if it's the latter, then how were Kylo and Rey able to continue to DM each other across the universe with Snoke dead? This is either a plot hole or Sidious WAS Snoke.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Saw it today, I thought it was great. I'm not a Star Wars nerd/fan so I don't get bent out of shape with most of the shit. Really touching moments, insane action almost the whole movie, fast moving, honestly no fluff or "empty threads." I have no complaints. Fucking Daisy Ridley is INSANELY hot now. FUCK she's beautiful.

• 6Barf
  • 3WTF
  • 2Picard
Reactions: 14 users

Leon

<Silver Donator>
When Kylo and Rey do their AT&T moments, Kylo remarked last movie "You're not doing this... the effort would kill you" (Which of course foreshadows Luke dying due to astral projecting so long). Snoke then says it was he who was getting them to communicate to each other.

Which leads to plot hole 149 with this film: Snoke is dead, but they continue to AT&T each other.

I understand Snoke was created by Sidious but was Snoke just a literal avatar/puppet that Sidious was "talking through" or a living being capable of his own thoughts / actions?

Because if it's the latter, then how were Kylo and Rey able to continue to DM each other across the universe with Snoke dead? This is either a plot hole or Sidious WAS Snoke.

I don't think any of those pieces of shit hacks put as much thought into this as just did in 2 minutes.

• 1Worf

goishen

Macho Ma'am

Which leads to plot hole 150. How could he not know that Kylo was force spinning the light saber just before he flipped the on switch? Baddest mofo in the galaxy... Gets fooled by the first thing that people who master the force learn.

Whew.

Good lord, this movie is a piece of shit.

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>

They explain it/retcon it in ROS as such:
They are a force dyad; they have a connection between them that is only seen once every several centuries, according to Palpatine. This is the energy he takes from them and uses to restore himself and start to kill the Rebel fleet. Palpatine does explain that he was Snoke, though, ("I am every voice you ever heard" and you see Snoke clone bodies in the lab as Kylo/Ben walks through it at the beginning of the movie as the Palpatine announces the coming of the Final Order.

More erasure of TLJ which happens early in the movie.

Which leads to plot hole 150. How could he not know that Kylo was force spinning the light saber just before he flipped the on switch? Baddest mofo in the galaxy... Gets fooled by the first thing that people who master the force learn.

I think that works in the context of the movie but Fuck You Rian Johnson for shitting on Star Wars. I almost understand the people, critics especially, who in 2017 wanted something different from established franchises and Rian Johnson delivered a fucking hand grenade to the King of All Cinematic Trilogies. There has to be some kind of appeal for folks who want to burn down the things they love and deconstruct everything but other than watching the flames, RJ wasn't going to live in that house. All he did was take a hammer to people's childhood and his reward for his artistic exercise was going to be his own trilogy.

People in this very thread hating on ROS are the bounty that Lucasfilm are reaping for allowing that and current politics to be made a focal point of the most beloved franchise of all time. Disney bought an empire built on 3 movies made 30 years ago and between KK, JJ, and RJ allowed the franchise to go forward with no concrete plan for the trilogy, a huge influx of modern politics, the first movie to be a "soft reboot" remake and the second to be complete rewrite/deconstruction by an indy director of the existing mythos. Marvel is going to learn as well that "The Force is Female" folks don't go to movies or buy comics in the same numbers as they post on twitter.

Last edited:

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Saw it today, I thought it was great. I'm not a Star Wars nerd/fan so I don't get bent out of shape with most of the shit. Really touching moments, insane action almost the whole movie, fast moving, honestly no fluff or "empty threads." I have no complaints. Fucking Daisy Ridley is INSANELY hot now. FUCK she's beautiful.

giphy.gif

• 4Like
  • 3Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 7 users

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
Your spoiler
Force dyad LoL... well okay, I accept that as an explanation but it just means, yet again, Rey is OP and has abilities that exceed every other Jedi that ever existed. Not bad for just a granddaughter.

Definitely noticed the Snoke clones in the vat which, hey... I guess I'm cool with Palpatine BEING Snoke, but why have multiples copies? Dude dies you're not going to fool anyone with a clone? I just don't get it.

Also, Snoke's voice in Kylo's head doesn't, to me, PROVE that Snoke was an avatar controlled by Palpatine since Vader's voice was in there too. To me that just means Palpatine has been sending various messages in different voices to Kylo to better "control" him, right? Snoke could have still been his own individual entity / non-avatar and Palpatine still mimics him in Kylo's head.

I don't think we need spoiler tags btw if it's mentioned in the thread title.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
just don't think too hard about the plot. The actors are good, there's Tie Fighters and the Falcon and lasers, and Star Wars music that takes you straight back to the 80s.
And this is exactly why we continue to get garbage movie after garbage movie. Dont think, consume.

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
Also, the entire recent trilogy just completely shit on Vader's prophecy and his redemption. Just like stopping Judgment Day and how important John Conner is T2, it doesn't mean jack shit anymore in 2019.

I'd have lost it had Hayden showed up looking badass as a force ghost and took out Palpatine after he sucked out Rey and Ben's force energy. Then the prophecy would be fulfilled and it'd be such a WTF moment. THAT would be "the rise of Skywalker" and Rey and Ben could marry thus having a balance of Light / Dark by Anakin saving THEM (one seed of good in Ben being the Skywalker/Solo lineage and one seed of bad in Rey being the Palpatine lineage). But nope... we'll just have OP Mary Sue do it all by herself after hearing all the voices of Jedi throughout the ages who have never even met her except Luke.

I'm not even a writer but I bet most fans would prefer my ending better than this shit souffle we got fed.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
"That boy is our last hope"

"No, there is another"
Leia was Vader's prisoner. He was right up in her grill. She had to be rescued. He sensed zero force from her. Luke kissed her. Leia was simply the cheesecake with the sausage plate.

• 1Like

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
A lot of these complaints seem directly related to Abrams trying to fix all the bullshit in 8.

I thought it was 100x better than the last one.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I'd say its better to be a part of the 30m in tickets that didn't see it.

If The Rise of Skywalker is as “frontloaded” as The Hobbit (a $84 million weekend from a $38 million Friday), Force Awakens ($248 million/$119 million), Rogue One ($115 million/$71 million) and Last Jedi ($220 million/$104 million), it’ll end the weekend with between $186 million and $198 million. At worst, it’s really frontloaded like Harry Potter 7.2 ($169 million/$91 million) and earns “just” $167 million.

As of today, Saturday, its still tracking 30m under TLJ for the opener.

And far more than a stones throw from TFA, at 248m opener.

Reviews:
, Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker is receiving generally mixed-negative reviews. It currently rates 57% rotten with a 6.23/10 average critic score at Rotten Tomatoes. It has a 54 at Metacritic, with 36 out of 54 reviews explicitly mixed. Its Rotten Tomatoes average critic score (a far more accurate measurement of critical consensus) is essentially tied with Solo: A Star Wars Story (6.42/10) despite that film’s much higher 70% “fresh” rating.

The selling point based on the reviews:

The Rise of Skywalker isn’t getting horrifically panned by critics in general, any more than The Phantom Menace did in 1999.

Not all that strong of a selling point, is it.

Last edited:

Chris

Potato del Grande
i just keep thinking how much more sense this movie would have made if it started out with vader tossing palpatine over the railing, but keep the focus on palpy as he falls and do something bizarre like have him unleash such a torrent of dark energy that it basically opens up a rift in space and he gets sucked into it.
He could fight a Balrog on the way down and then get sent back by Melkor as Palpatine the Black.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
A lot of these complaints seem directly related to Abrams trying to fix all the bullshit in 8.

I thought it was 100x better than the last one.

What's 100 multiplied by 0?

• 4Worf
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 6 users