Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
That's about the best you could hope for.

After TLJ they gave JJ an impossible task. That he did not outright shit in your mouth... how could anyone expect him to fix TLJ in one movie? The only fix was to reject it, remake it, and pretend Rian's movie never happened. You'd wind up with a trilogy of 4 movies but...

Even if he was the best director of his generation, which he is not, it would be an impossible task.

JJ complained publicly over a year ago that the Rise schedule was too tight for comfort. Out of public, he asked for 2 movies from Lucas Film but they said it has to be Episode 9 of a trilogy.

Production wise things went from the frying pan into the fire. I wish they just gave him the two movies.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
If we're gonna fantasize, let's fantasize that Abrams was never allowed to shit on the SW franchise in the first place.

• 3Like
  • 3Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 8 users

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Just got back and really enjoyed it. I'll echo a lot of others and say that Star Wars fans are really going to enjoy this for the most part.

What I found funny is that JJ/writers essentially did in the first 15 minutes what Rian Johnson couldn't do in an entire movie. So once you got that settled, it takes off pretty fast.

Stuff I enjoyed"
Poe is a great future character/general. Its a shame his character, along with Leia's, was tainted from the previous movie. Both characters handled well.
I'm glad JJ respected the folks that were brought through this mess and still gave them parts. It wasn't Rose's fault that is was a disaster but at the same time she really didn't fit. She, and others, were given much better roles. Meaningful without much force.
Kylo was excellent
Rey was great as well.
Luke was all smiles, respectable, gave insight and wisdom, and delivered what he should have done all along.
Lando's lines were spot on. I loved how the insight was to just do it together. That's what heroes do.
Chewie getting his medal.
C3PO having a significant part. Anthony Daniels has been in more Star Wars than anyone and deserved the nod.
Finn was done well and I'm glad they are likely moving him to a love interest that appears to make more sense. I didn't like the idea of him and Rey being a thing.
I never appreciated it before but my 9 year old said he almost cried when he saw the Ewoks so while I never cared much for the Ewoks, if it means that much to kids, then so be it. I'm glad they bounced around the galaxy and showed the victory and celebration of famous plays such as Cloud City.
Chewie's part when Leia died was extremely powerful.
You could tell that Han's return was meant for Leia but I'm glad to see Han get a moment in the movie.

Couple of things I would have changed.
- I would have shown all the Jedi. I would have had them collectively lift the X-wing or spoke to her on the island or something.... maybe when she claimed she was "all the jedi" we could have seen them since we saw an arena of sith followers.
- The Endgame moment I would have flipped the order. I would have show the Falcon and then had ships start popping in. Everyone being there as the screen panned into space was a little anticlimactic.

This movie is easily a C+..... 7.5/10.. maybe a tad higher. It did a whole lot of good and while there was certainly some silly, unnecessary stuff, that's kinda always been a Star Wars thing so I give it a pass.

I wouldn't have wanted to be in the writer's shoes following TLJ. I felt like they had a list of everything that needed fixed or at least addressed and so they were very intentional on taking time to do so. I couldn't imagine writing a book and being shackled to fixing a previous installment.

Go see it. Enjoy it. It's not that bad. It's not great but It's far better than 7 and 8 and has a lot more going for it than even the prequels did.

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 5 users

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Apparently
At the end where we see the massive fleet it was meant to be a bit longer with an intentional Mass Effect 3 The Fleet Arrives flavor bit. I guess we will see in the Art of Rise of Skywalker some early paintings which more clearly show a huge diverse fleet jumping in ranging from Mon Calamari-type capital ships, to Hammerhead Corvettes, Republic Cruisers, Naboo Starfighters and Including ships from the Banking Clan, Trade Federation, Imperial Remnant etc. Basically anyone and everyone saying 'fuck you' to Palpatine and his insane Sith Armada.

But as noted the overall production demands were just too much and so they had to scale back. Shame because I was definitely having an upwelling moment right then, even if I knew it was coming, and showing elements from the whole galaxy in more recognizable way would have been icing on the cake.

Also -- Don't you dare say something bad about Babu Frik.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
1576949936176.jpg

• 4Worf
  • 1Barf
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 6 users

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Saw it today, I thought it was great. I'm not a Star Wars nerd/fan so I don't get bent out of shape with most of the shit. Really touching moments, insane action almost the whole movie, fast moving, honestly no fluff or "empty threads." I have no complaints. Fucking Daisy Ridley is INSANELY hot now. FUCK she's beautiful.

giphy.gif

• 5Worf
  • 5Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 12 users

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor

Better than the movie (Love how the guys they interviewed all like the Mandalorian haha).

And for those who think this movie is good? Its only because you were given a cup of water to wash out your mouth after being forced to eat a shit sandwich. From what I understand, its clear JJ did everything he could to repair the damage done by TLJ--but at most even his potentially heroic efforts could only deliver a sub-par film, because as long as elements from TLJ remain within the narrative--its like a cancer that can't be excised, you can contain it, reduce its damage but over enough time it will spread and kill the host. Forever you're going to know the symbol of hope became an impotent, neurotic loser that went against everything he ever stood for because he had a bad dream. The family we loved (Solo) ended up unhappy, split apart and systematically corrupted and killed while everything they fought for (New Republic), was destroyed--along with billions of people. The Skywalkers were eventually wiped out and the Palpatines are now in control. The Jedi never returned, and their last hope spent his last years shitting on them, and their greatest practitioner decided they were essentially the the "old white males" of their Galaxy and destroyed their wisdom while laughing.

Nothing can be done to repair this. Even if you remove every turd that Rian Johnson left in every stupid mystery Box, which it sounds like JJ managed to do...The effect on the greater story will always be there, and as you digest, its going to settle in the most unpleasant way. I get it; most of you have Star Wars Stockholm syndrome, big Daddy JJ gave you an affectionate word or two and you're so happy after being whipped and shit on by Rian. It's the same thing with the Mandalorian, I like that more than I should for the same reason, because its a Star Wars story that might not be perfect, but damn you can tell the person who made it didn't have this sadistic hatred for the mythos and that feels great to see...But for fuck sake, recognize this story can no longer be salvaged, even if the mythos can.

Last edited:
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I never ever watch cam versions,, but there is a watchable one up on ipt, I'm ten minutes in

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
I'm not going to say that I won't watch this at some point in the future. I will.

I'm not going to say that I won't enjoy it and it might be a passable movie in and of itself. It could be.

I am going to say, I'm NOT GOING TO FUCKING REWARD THE FUCKING RETARDS THAT RUINED MY GODDAMN FAVORITE FRANCHISE OF ALL TIME.

The people that did this need to be shamed and held responsible, and the only way to do that is to watch this thing go down in flames.

Stop being a bunch of fucking pussies and just wait until you can pirate this shit. Have some fucking self respect.

Rey's not going to fuck you, bros.

• 11Like
  • 5Solidarity
Reactions: 15 users

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
I am going to say, I'm NOT GOING TO FUCKING REWARD THE FUCKING RETARDS THAT RUINED MY GODDAMN FAVORITE FRANCHISE OF ALL TIME.

That's the thing though, you seem to think this ruins Star Wars for everyone. It doesn't. Did the prequels ruin Star Wars for you also? The Holiday Special? If so, it was ruined before Disney. If it didn't, then why does this? For me, I dislike the majority of how the prequels turned out, and the sequels also have major flaws, especially TLJ which I'd put at the bottom of the rankings, but has any of that damaged in any way the classic trilogy?

Nope.

Did the Bayformers movies ruin the Transformers 1986 classic? Did Prometheus and Covenant ruin Alien? Do the Terminator sequels ruin T1 and T2? I didn't like most of those "new" movies but none of that hampers my enjoyment of the "originals" of my childhood.

You don't HAVE to let any extra content ruin anything for you. It's a choice you're making to let Disney ruin your childhood, you can just take these new movies as something new, something different, and keep the imagined futures you had in mind for Luke, Han & Leia, etc.. in your head canon.

People these days just want to shout that their childhoods are being raped and acting like victims of the cruel Hollywood industry, but you're really doing it to yourselves..

• 3Like
  • 2Dislike
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 7 users

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
That's the thing though, you seem to think this ruins Star Wars for everyone. It doesn't. Did the prequels ruin Star Wars for you also? The Holiday Special? If so, it was ruined before Disney. If it didn't, then why does this? For me, I dislike the majority of how the prequels turned out, and the sequels also have major flaws, especially TLJ which I'd put at the bottom of the rankings, but has any of that damaged in any way the classic trilogy?

Nope.

Did the Bayformers movies ruin the Transformers 1986 classic? Did Prometheus and Covenant ruin Alien? Do the Terminator sequels ruin T1 and T2? I didn't like most of those "new" movies but none of that hampers my enjoyment of the "originals" of my childhood.

You don't HAVE to let any extra content ruin anything for you. It's a choice you're making to let Disney ruin your childhood, you can just take these new movies as something new, something different, and keep the imagined futures you had in mind for Luke, Han & Leia, etc.. in your head canon.

People these days just want to shout that their childhoods are being raped and acting like victims of the cruel Hollywood industry, but you're really doing it to yourselves..

I didn't say it ruined my love of the classic trilogy, I'm on record for one of my fondest memories of all time being when I saw ROTJ with my stepdad. That will never change and I can watch ROTJ, Ewoks and all with a grin on my face.

What I said is that they've ruined the franchise. They shit on our heroes, they shit on our imagination on how those heroes would end their stories, and they've almost completely nullified any future interest on my part for the future of Star Wars. I'm hardly alone either.

You're saying, you have a choice to love shit and if you don't love shit then you're really just depriving yourself of the opportunity to love shit. What a joke.

Disney outright wanted to dismiss us because we didn't fit their woke agenda and you want to sit hear and blame fans because they don't love these shitty movies?

Shill.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
You're saying, you have a choice to love shit and if you don't love shit then you're really just depriving yourself of the opportunity to love shit. What a joke.

You either fail at reading, or you're so traumatized by Disney that you literally don't see a way out anymore.

I never said you have a choice between loving shit and hating shit; what I'm saying you are completely allowed to consider it shit but you don't have to consider it ruins the franchise as a whole, ruins your childhood, rapes your favorite pet, etc.... There's still a bunch of good Star Wars content out there, including right now in Mandalorian, several books, comics or video games.

Synj said:
Disney outright wanted to dismiss us because we didn't fit their woke agenda and you want to sit hear and blame fans because they don't love these shitty movies?

Right, Disney wanted you, YOU, to believe the feminist SJW propaganda. They didn't want to make a fortune by drawing in EEEEEEVERYONE to these movies. Nope. They only wanted womyn to be strong and beat the boys. You got it all figured out, champ. Disney's out to get you, the faithful Star Wars fan who watched ROTJ with his heterosexual white dad.

Last edited:
  • 7Picard
  • 1EyeRoll
Reactions: 7 users

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
You either fail at reading, or you're so traumatized by Disney that you literally don't see a way out anymore.

I never said you have a choice between loving shit and hating shit; what I'm saying you are completely allowed to consider it shit but you don't have to consider it ruins the franchise as a whole, ruins your childhood, rapes your favorite pet, etc.... There's still a bunch of good Star Wars content out there, including right now in Mandalorian, several books, comics or video games.

LOL, me not paying to see a movie means I'm traumatized.

And I'm sorry, are we in the ROS thread or the SW appreciation thread?

Stop being dense. I even said I'd probably "like" the movie on its own merits.

I think we're done here. Enjoy gobbling up whatever garbage is shoved your way.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member

Nope.

just dont be surprised when you get more of the same

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users