Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Brodhi

I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
<Donor>
I agree TFA wasn't original, or amazing, but it did set the stage for a trilogy. It was "good" , and left me with a "oh man shit might be pretty great" feeling at the end. Tons of possibilities, the writing of the second and third installment could explain the dumb shit from TFA easily, and it all would have made sense. I don't blame JJ necessarily. TFA was fine, it was TLJ that destroyed everything, and no amount of talent in the world could have saved the third.

• 6Like
  • 3Solidarity
Reactions: 8 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
With all the tinkering they had to do i'm wondering what the final budget for this abortion was. It'll still end up in the green unfortunately, too big to fail.
they probably spent 300-400 million on making the film. marketing is probably double that. on TV, every commercial is a trailer for RoS or a regular commercial with some tie in to RoS/SW. its beyond ridiculous. they threw everything at this to get the dumdums out to see their shitball and judging by some of the reactions here, they fell for it, hook, line and stinker. the failure with TFA was that it was boring and it didnt have Luke as the lead. he can meet Rey and discover her force spidey senses. he begrudgingly comes out of retirement to train her when he hears about those unnamed planets getting blowed up by the FO.it would have made for a much better and exciting film. then in the second movie after Rey and Luke develops a bond, he could sac himself to save her and it would be ok to finish. but by starting with the PoV of an already OP character it put me to sleep. GOD MODE is only tolerable for so long.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
they probably spent 300-400 million on making the film. marketing is probably double that. on TV, every commercial is a trailer for RoS or a regular commercial with some tie in to RoS/SW. its beyond ridiculous. they threw everything at this to get the dumdums out to see their shitball and judging by some of the reactions here, they fell for it, hook, line and stinker. the failure with TFA was that it was boring and it didnt have Luke as the lead. he can meet Rey and discover her force spidey senses. he begrudgingly comes out of retirement to train her when he hears about those unnamed planets getting blowed up by the FO.it would have made for a much better and exciting film. then in the second movie after Rey and Luke develops a bond, he could sac himself to save her and it would be ok to finish. but by starting with the PoV of an already OP character it put me to sleep. GOD MODE is only tolerable for so long.
All good ideas that could have made TFA better, but my point is all those ideas were just sitting there ready for Ep8 and then Rian happened.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
You have to remember TFA was a handoff movie. The writers/directors agreed to one movie so they intentionally played it safe and left everything completely open for the next team to take it wherever it was intended to go. In my opinion that's an incredibly ignorant way to handle a franchise like Star Wars but it happened and we have episode 8 because that ignorance. Oh well.. what is done is done and 9 saved what it could. I'm not sure where it goes from here but we'll see. I doubt any of the original actors will want to fool with it ever again and I hate we lost a lot of good time with that cast. However, I really enjoyed 9.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Everyone! This is a public service announcement.
Rent, buy, watch the movie Freaks. Right. NOW.

And someone make a thread for it!

best movie I have seen since end game!

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
I view all these movies like a totem pole that teeters and totters depending how badly they are made; every movie is an individual face on the totem pole and every face rests upon the one that came before it. The first trilogy (77-83) stacked and was fine. Very few issues (Luke and Leia kissing etc). Lucas had to kinda wedge episodes 1-3 into place below and then you had more problems of continuity and questionable things (midichlorians ? Really George? Fuck). But it STILL felt like a stable pole after all these years but we made fun of a lot of things too. The totem wobbled a bit after the prequels.

Now we get to the new era.

So TFA was the 7th face upon the totem pole and if you remember, a LOT of people were happy that it brought back elements that were lacking in the prequels visually and stylistically. Plot-wise, it wasn't that strong (A map to Luke, and the First Order are evil space-nazis. K, so what?) but it WAS a decent plate to build upon. Our totem is still a bit wobbly, but we're maintaining.

Then TLJ happened. The very first scene set the tone. "you expected this, but I did this! LoL I troll u!". Tosses lightsaber. Fucking crap. It was the FIRST time the fanbase for Star Wars was pissed off, y'know? Yeah yeah, I know you were super edgy and hated EP 1 the minute Jar Jar appeared. Shut up LoL. You know what I mean. So now the 8th face upon the totem pole is a lopsided mess that essentially threatens to topple the entire thing over. ...and there's still one more to come? Jesus. The ripples of distaste reached the execs at Disney and they reacted:

Mickey Mouse: Holeee shit. We fucked up. Bad. Totally missed that mark, let me tell you. Rian, you're out buddy sorry. Nothing personal, just business. JJ, whatcha got brother?
JJ: Well you know I think the fans just like what they grew up with. Let's stick with tradition. Let's bring back all the nostalgia that will placate the angry hardcore fans of the first trilogy.

So they bring back the Emperor because Snoke was killed prematurely by Riantard and it didn't make sense that Kylo/Ben be the big bad because he needed redemption and bringing Palpatine back at all was fucking stupid because it nullified Anakin's legacy but they couldn't just pull out a NEW Sith Overlord we've never heard of because no one would buy that Deux Ex Machina cheat. So here we are. Painted in a corner.

Again, NOTHING could salvage the gaping wound that TLJ inflicted upon the franchise. Like... I get it, you guys hate JJ... I think he makes entertaining films but he was working with cracked, dry clay. It was crap but JJ isn't Jesus. He's good at what he does... making palatable sci fi films that look impressive. That's literally why they hired him. But anyone in that seat after Rian's astonishing failure is going to eat a shit sandwich.

So because JJ is a mere mortal, he made a shit film and the totem pole toppled completely over. RIP Star Wars. I'm fucking angry that it ended this way.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Burns

Everyone needs to go easy on JJ Abrams, Disney practically enslaved him when they drugged him, made him sign an ironclad contract, and depostited 5+ million in his bank account.

If he is too greedy to say no, he deserves all the shit he gets.

• 1Like

goishen

Macho Ma'am
Do any of yall think you're being too hard on TROS?

Uhhhh, lemme see. I'm not going out and seeing the movie at all. Nothing can change my mind. Not even a few, "Hey, it wasn't that bad..." posts. Because I've played a few games that "weren't that bad" and seen a few movies that "weren't that bad." Guess what? All of them were that bad.

ALL OF THEM.

• 4Solidarity
  • 2Like
  • 1Great Review
Reactions: 6 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Do any of yall think you're being too hard on TROS?

I was watching some reviews of the first two films of this trilogy with some time skips involved and both TFA and TLJ were revised downward by viewers as time went on. TFA specifically has a sorta Phantom Menace trajectory where it took some time but a lot of people soured on it. This one people were so ready to skull fuck it that it has a chance at being regarded better a year or two from now.

So that's something.

• 1Like

Pharazon2

Molten Core Raider
the failure with TFA was that it was boring and it didnt have Luke as the lead. he can meet Rey and discover her force spidey senses. he begrudgingly comes out of retirement to train her when he hears about those unnamed planets getting blowed up by the FO.it would have made for a much better and exciting film. then in the second movie after Rey and Luke develops a bond, he could sac himself to save her and it would be ok to finish. but by starting with the PoV of an already OP character it put me to sleep. GOD MODE is only tolerable for so long.

No reason most of that couldn't have been in the second movie. TFA was fine to put the ball on the tee, Rian Johnson just whiffed at it like 10 times then threw the ball over the fence in frustration and laughed about it cause he's a giant pussy. Complain about Abrams' extravagance, and I definitely nitpicked at starkiller base, Rey's power, yadda yadda, but TFA did leave me wanting more because I wanted to see what the fuck Luke could do after 30 years in this new trilogy where power levels are higher. If Rey could do all this shit without training surely Luke was going to wreck some shit.

TFA wasn't boring because Luke wasn't in it. I'd say it was good storytelling to use Luke as a sort of carrot to dangle throughout the first movie. Everybody wanted to see what Luke would be 30 years later, and not showing that from the start made you pay attention knowing that it was coming somewhere ahead. The movie was decent, and I thought the ending was a great way to set up the 2nd movie.

TLJ is the all time letdown in movies for me, nothing comes close. Rian Johnson will wear it forever, and Disney better change their damn minds about giving him a whole trilogy, cause ruining an entire trilogy with one movie shouldn't entitle you a trilogy all your own. Those are the ones that truly deserve to be boycotted if they happen.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
No reason most of that couldn't have been in the second movie. TFA was fine to put the ball on the tee, Rian Johnson just whiffed at it like 10 times then threw the ball over the fence in frustration and laughed about it cause he's a giant pussy. Complain about Abrams' extravagance, and I definitely nitpicked at starkiller base, Rey's power, yadda yadda, but TFA did leave me wanting more because I wanted to see what the fuck Luke could do after 30 years in this new trilogy where power levels are higher. If Rey could do all this shit without training surely Luke was going to wreck some shit.

TFA wasn't boring because Luke wasn't in it. I'd say it was good storytelling to use Luke as a sort of carrot to dangle throughout the first movie. Everybody wanted to see what Luke would be 30 years later, and not showing that from the start made you pay attention knowing that it was coming somewhere ahead. The movie was decent, and I thought the ending was a great way to set up the 2nd movie.

TLJ is the all time letdown in movies for me, nothing comes close. Rian Johnson will wear it forever, and Disney better change their damn minds about giving him a whole trilogy, cause ruining an entire trilogy with one movie shouldn't entitle you a trilogy all your own. Those are the ones that truly deserve to be boycotted if they happen.
i disagree, it had to be all rolled out in the first film. Rey could have just been an excellent pilot without any obvious force powers. she escapes Jaqu with Finn on the Falcon and they meet Han & Chewie, he hears about the FO looking for Luke, he then says something like, "i know somebody who could find him." he takes them to that planet with the goggle eyed bitch maz kanata. they meet maz and she takes them over to a table in the cantina and its Luke, who BTW still has his fucking lightsaber (like why would he leave that there in the first place?). then when Finn and Rey find out thats actually Luke, they tell him whats going on, he says he's too old for this shit, but Han convinces him to come along because Leia put him in the doghouse for abandoning her and Darth Emo, so he comes along because he misses his sister.

along the way they run into the smugglers and hilarity ensues. Luke has a handful with the space dragon, rey is fleeing with Finn and at some point Rey is cornered and about to get killed, she lashes out with a Force hadouken. luke sees this and starts telling her about The Force and how she could be a new breed of jedi. blah blah it goes from there. Han brings them to the death planet and tries stop Darth Emo, he gets killed. Luke says "nooooo!" and they run back to the ship. there is no duel with Emo, they blow up the death planet and Darth Emo is pissed and throws his tantrum. him and Rey never meet for the entire movie. movie ends with Luke telling Leia what happened to Han and how it was her son, Darth Emo who kills him . she then tells him. "i have no son" , Luke tells Rey, i wil train you to develop your force powers to defeat Emo becausae as i said, i am too old for this shit. end credits. see, practically the same movie, but Luke plays a bigger role.

Chris

Potato del Grande
i disagree, it had to be all rolled out in the first film. Rey could have just been an excellent pilot without any obvious force powers. she escapes Jaqu with Finn on the Falcon and they meet Han & Chewie, he hears about the FO looking for Luke, he then says something like, "i know somebody who could find him." he takes them to that planet with the goggle eyed bitch maz kanata. they meet maz and she takes them over to a table in the cantina and its Luke, who BTW still has his fucking lightsaber (like why would he leave that there in the first place?). then when Finn and Rey find out thats actually Luke, they tell him whats going on, he says he's too old for this shit, but Han convinces him to come along because Leia put him in the doghouse for abandoning her and Darth Emo, so he comes along because he misses his sister.

along the way they run into the smugglers and hilarity ensues. Luke has a handful with the space dragon, rey is fleeing with Finn and at some point Rey is cornered and about to get killed, she lashes out with a Force hadouken. luke sees this and starts telling her about The Force and how she could be a new breed of jedi. blah blah it goes from there. Han brings them to the death planet and tries stop Darth Emo, he gets killed. Luke says "nooooo!" and they run back to the ship. there is no duel with Emo, they blow up the death planet and Darth Emo is pissed and throws his tantrum. him and Rey never meet for the entire movie. movie ends with Luke telling Leia what happened to Han and how it was her son, Darth Emo who kills him . she then tells him. "i have no son" , Luke tells Rey, i wil train you to develop your force powers to defeat Emo becausae as i said, i am too old for this shit. end credits. see, practically the same movie, but Luke plays a bigger role.
Just have Finn duel Darth Emo and lose (he can die potentially, Luke will be away sharing Han's last moments), Rey force picks up the lightsaber away from him (small victory) then Emo and Luke have a force push standoff until the planet collapsing forces them to separate.

You can't not have a lightsaber duel. That's TLJ tier nonsense. TFA duels were good, keep most of that.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Just have Finn duel Darth Emo and lose (he can die potentially, Luke will be away sharing Han's last moments), Rey force picks up the lightsaber away from him (small victory) then Emo and Luke have a force push standoff until the planet collapsing forces them to separate.

You can't not have a lightsaber duel. That's TLJ tier nonsense. TFA duels were good, keep most of that.
Yeah whatever, they scrapped Finn's role after the first movie anyway, he could die at the end trying to fight Emo, you could have Emo try to take on Luke, Luke just flashes out his LS and disarms him in seconds, force pushes him to the ground. (Luke who isnt ready to kill his nephew, ya know because Luke is a kindhearted person, not a fucking killer) points the saber at him while he has him on the ground, then runs off with the rest.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Yeah whatever, they scrapped Finn's role after the first movie anyway, he could die at the end trying to fight Emo, you could have Emo try to take on Luke, Luke just flashes out his LS and disarms him in seconds, force pushes him to the ground. (Luke who isnt ready to kill his nephew, ya know because Luke is a kindhearted person, not a fucking killer) points the saber at him while he has him on the ground, then runs off with the rest.
Luke has to try to capture him (a rescue from whatever dark force has turned him) and Emo can force push Luke away.

Heros leaving villains alive so they can kill again is a dumb trope.

It's not hard to write this stuff though is it with a critical voice helping you? What the fuck is going on at Lucasfilm?

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Luke has to try to capture him (a rescue from whatever dark force has turned him) and Emo can force push Luke away.

Heros leaving villains alive so they can kill again is a dumb trope.

It's not hard to write this stuff though is it with a critical voice helping you? What the fuck is going on at Lucasfilm?
the idea of going to the death planet in TFA was to stop it from destroying other planets and bringing Emo back, by convincing him to be a good boy or whatver. after Han tries to reason with his son and Emo kills him. the capturing aspect of the mission is over. in my scenario. Luke wants to kill him, Luke should kill him, nobody would bat an eye over it. but Luke is all that is good and striking an unarmed person down is Dark Side shit. Luke aint about that, so yes its a trope, but its what Luke's character is locked into.