Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Crimson

Peasant
This isn't even remotely true. Now yes, it would take a talented screenwriter to take the threads JJ left dangling from his ANH reshoot and do something more creative than an ESB reshoot as a followup, but by no means did JJ paint Ep 8 into a corner, or leave them with a burned out field of nothing. In fact, now JJ is the one who has to try and salvage Ep 9 from the burned out field of nothingness than Rian Johnson left behind, which is unlikely to work well seeing as how JJ is, as you said, a complete hack.

Possibly, but I feel more of my overall point was that I don't think JJ really cared one way or another if it was salvageable or not. He wasn't invested past his practical effects and mystery boxes.
I'm honestly shocked he agreed to come back.

• 2Dislike
Reactions: 1 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Possibly, but I feel more of my overall point was that I don't think JJ really cared one way or another if it was salvageable or not. He wasn't invested past his practical effects and mystery boxes.
I'm honestly shocked he agreed to come back.
a lot can change when when a dump truck full of money backs up to your house.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Jive Turkey

Karen
The best JJ can do is move forward with what he has.

He has nothing. Ruin Johnson made a one-off movie and plunked it right in the middle of a trilogy.
One movie isn't even enough time to introduce a new big badguy and have us care when he gets defeated 2 hours later. It's hard to say JJ
even has scraps

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

iannis

Musty Nester
Abrams didnt do it justice, he just rehashed ANH and he killed off Han, but i chalk that one up to HF wanting out. the thing is, he still left some meat on the bone. it would have been better if Ford was the star and he had to find Luke to help stop the FO. Along the way he meets Rey on Jaqui because he needs the Falcon repaired and she's the only one who could. she becomes Han's apprentice and then after he gets killed she become Luke"s apprentice when he senses her force powers. then you would have had a good movie. they paid all this cash for Harrison to be in TFA and he was barely in it. waste of a good character.

That would have been a much better movie.

It's the lack of a villian. We were supposed to have the reveal of the primary villian in 2, not his reveal and immediate defeat.

E9 has to be about 5 people in an escape pod going up against The First Order and their 5 ( -1) star destroyers now. How do you turn that into an ending of a sequence? That's where the very first one started. So I guess it rhymes...

If they kill all of them off in some vainglory suicide run i might actually give disney a few bucks to stream the thing. That would be cathartic. Obviously, that's not going to be what happens. But that WOULD be funny. BAD GUYS WIN, LOL, SUCK IT KIDS.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Sevens

Log Wizard
JJ showed he had no idea, none whatsoever, of what this story was about when after Hans death Leia ignores CHEWBACCA and runs up to comfort Rey. Really? I mean even the most casual fan knows of Han and Chewie. Sorry, this franchise is shit starting with Return of the Jedi (fuck you Ewoks).

• 5Worf
  • 4Like
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 9 users

iannis

Musty Nester
Aww, I liked the ewoks.

I saw all three in theaters with my parents. Tbh, return is the only one I remember but ewoks were cute and retUrn was legit a good children's movie. It was just fun. Since I saw it as a child, the math checks out.

If you watched them on vhs it was probably a worse movie. Especially if your just watched empire. But when they came out there was about a two year gap.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Aww, I liked the ewoks.

I saw all three in theaters with my parents. Tbh, return is the only one I remember but ewoks were cute and retUrn was legit a good children's movie. It was just fun. Since I saw it as a child, the math checks out.

If you watched them on vhs it was probably a worse movie. Especially if your just watched empire. But when they came out there was about a two year gap.
saw all 3 in the theater too, i didnt really like RotJ too much, i was 12 and Ewoks was kind of too kiddy for me, i found though if you fast forwarded the ewok scenes then it was a great movie. Luke's scenes are all iconic. he really got his shit together by that third film. kinda sad he never became a big star after that. If anyone here wants to see a fun Hamill film, watch Corvette Summer. Annie Potts is fine looking in it too.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
Actually, it's rather comical to me that people think JJ is going to "fix" the problems or that it's any better he's back.

To be honest, it's his fault the films are the way they are. The guy is literally a hack, and it was his obsession with pointless "mystery boxes" that set the story up to fail (he never came up with any answers, he only wanted mystery) and the fact he viewed "using practical effects" as the only necessity to make a good Star Wars film (nevermind about story or anything like that); he all but sabotaged them from the start.

Rian Johnson is another brainless yes-man under Kennedy's feminazi heel, but even the best screenwriter couldn't salvage what JJ set up. And now it's more of him; he's not the cure, he's the cancer that killed it to begin with.

yeah, the most egregious mistake in the new trilogy, for me, will always be the fact that they had no plan for a god damned trilogy other than "The End of the Skywalker Saga".

I don't know how they didn't replicate the Marvel Studios' plan and get them a Kevin Feige to run things. I think Kathleen Kennedy is has the same title at Lucas File as he does at Marvel Studios and, say what you will about her, she has proven over nearly 40 years to be a very successful producer, but there is no way she has the kind of autonomy that Feige has. I assume it is because of the money involved with purchasing Star Wars vs Marvel, but the lack of singular vision and voice is apparent.

TFA is a safe movie JJ made and had no plan for the next 2
Rogue One was fine and a reasonable entry in the "A Star Wars Story" Line
TLJ is clearly not a part of a trilogy. Even if youre a person who likes it, it closed way too much for being a 2nd movie in a 3 part series.
Solo was, again, fine. But would have greatly benefited from just being about random idiots doing a heist and not answering questions about Han Solo's past no one ever asked.

Lucas Film needs a true leader with the power to be one. Disney could have let Star Wars be the MCU 2.0, but instead its the DCEU.

• 1Like

Sevens

Log Wizard
saw all 3 in the theater too, i didnt really like RotJ too much, i was 12 and Ewoks was kind of too kiddy for me, i found though if you fast forwarded the ewok scenes then it was a great movie. Luke's scenes are all iconic. he really got his shit together by that third film. kinda sad he never became a big star after that. If anyone here wants to see a fun Hamill film, watch Corvette Summer. Annie Potts is fine looking in it too.
I seen all 3 in the theater too, The Ewoks were the worst thing in the movie but not the only thing...My problem with ROTJ was just how nice and neatly everything was tied up. I know it was the end of the Trilogy but come on, NOTHING bad happened, Hell even HF argued for Han to bite it...but nope had to have the feel good everyone sing kumbyfuckingya around the camp fire whilst you had these annoying little shits doing stupid little dances and singing......JFC I hate this movie

• 1Worf

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I seen all 3 in the theater too, The Ewoks were the worst thing in the movie but not the only thing...My problem with ROTJ was just how nice and neatly everything was tied up. I know it was the end of the Trilogy but come on, NOTHING bad happened, Hell even HF argued for Han to bite it...but nope had to have the feel good everyone sing kumbyfuckingya around the camp fire whilst you had these annoying little shits doing stupid little dances and singing......JFC I hate this movie
it was still bittersweet, Yoda dies, and Vader dies just as he redeems himself, Luke loses his father. Han and Leia hook up and Luke is all alone at the end. he isnt happy, yeah the fucking muppets are losing their shit, but Luke was the hero and he gets the shaft. you need to watch it again in that perspective.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

Sevens

Log Wizard
Yoda dies, but hes still there as a ghost (no emotional impact there) Vader Dies, the problem is he did redeem himself (wrapped up in a pretty feel good bow). Han and Leia hook up, and the dialog during that scene was some of the worst ever in the original trilogy, just pure cheese. Luke was sad, so what? That detracts nothing from the whole kumbaya feel of this whole shit fest. I understand, you like the movie and thats OK...to me it was the death of Star Wars

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Return of the Jedi was, in many ways, a mistake but one that was born of the era.

Following Empire Strikes Back you could easily have had several follow-on movies that documented the continual back-and-forth nature of the conflict with the Empire/Sith/Force etc.

Instead we got a single movie that wrapped everything up neatly in 2 hours covering two main plots -- rescue of Han and the end of the Empire. Even at the time I was scratching my head going 'another Death Star? That seems crazy derivative given the wide-open nature potential available'

• 3Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Yoda dies, but hes still there as a ghost (no emotional impact there) Vader Dies, the problem is he did redeem himself (wrapped up in a pretty feel good bow). Han and Leia hook up, and the dialog during that scene was some of the worst ever in the original trilogy, just pure cheese. Luke was sad, so what? That detracts nothing from the whole kumbaya feel of this whole shit fest. I understand, you like the movie and thats OK...to me it was the death of Star Wars
there is an emotional impact. you're looking at the overall picture and i am looking at it from luke's perspective because he is the star of the film. nothing is tied up in a bow other than the Empire/Emperor took a huge L. Luke through the course of the trilogy loses several father figures. his Uncle, Obi Wan, then finds out OB1 lied to him about his father. then Yoda dies, then when he finally saves his real dad. he dies too. Luke is still a young man and he is all alone in the galaxy, doesnt even have the girl because she's his sister and hooked up with his best friend. i'm telling you, it isnt all sugar plums and blowjobs at the end of RotJ. you take out the ewoks and its a different movie.

• 3Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I'd still like to see Guillermo del Toro's Hutt crimelords movie, but unfortunately Disney CEO cancelled all the writers after the Solo debacle.

They don't even have a decent movie in the pipeline now-- unless you consider D&D's Star Wars debut something that is going to be decent.

• 1Like

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
ROTJ still is my favourite SW movie. That final battle Luke vs Vader makes everything so great in that movie.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
ROTJ still is my favourite SW movie. That final battle Luke vs Vader makes everything so great in that movie.

Except the care-bears defeating a "legion" of the empires "elite". Stormtroopers can´t shoot for shit obviously for some reason, but to be defeated by koalas and falling trees? Come on... Did nothing for me as a 9 year old, does nothing for me 36 years later. It could have been so great... commandos vs commandos, Stromtroopers vs rebels, anything really, just not fucking care-bears. Yes Im bitter. It fucks up the entire movie, regardless of how great Han´s rescue is, regardless of how epic the end duel is :(

• 1Like

Qhue

Trump's Staff
In many ways Rogue One has the commando attack on an Imperial Installation that we should have gotten with ROTJ.

For all the problems with SOLO I think Rogue One demonstrates there is room for more stories within the broader context.

• 1Like

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
In many ways Rogue One has the commando attack on an Imperial Installation that we should have gotten with ROTJ.

For all the problems with SOLO I think Rogue One demonstrates there is room for more stories within the broader context.

Rogue One was great because it dropped the entire "force" thing and did its own thing.

No happy ending (for anyone involved), no superheroes, just people doing their job fighting for what they belive in. Loved the end scene.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Fucking love ROTJ, the end when Luke and Vader are sword fighting, and Luke gets so pissed, and that music starts playing right before Luke defeats Vader. Amazing.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The first duel between Obi Wan and Darth Vader was the only good one.

Fucking space wizard ninjas.

• 1Worf