Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I'll download it eventually. Even if it gets good reviews I aint gonna see it. Kathleen kennedy can go fall into a trash compactor and then maybe I'll give this shit another chance.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Palpatine should have been hinted at in the first 2. It feels like Disney was like nobody is going to see this let's bring back Palpatine.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
In many ways Rogue One has the commando attack on an Imperial Installation that we should have gotten with ROTJ.

For all the problems with SOLO I think Rogue One demonstrates there is room for more stories within the broader context.
The red fog of war wtf are we doing and why scene in Solo was great. That plus Rogue One (also thought of Firefly)

Sevens

Log Wizard
Palpatine coming back? No shit? and everyone rejoiced?
Holy hell, I mean lets just recycle all our old shit, Whats the over / under that there will be yet ANOTHER deathstar?
Why not bring back Snoke? I mean with everyone sucking on the balls of ROTJ this completely undermines that whole story. Luke and Anakin didnt defeat the Emperor, Rey did!!1!!

• 3Like

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Calling it now, Rey turns out to be the Leia's daughter after all. Doesn't even matter if it was Kylo's ploy all along or just a retcon, TLJ deserves all the retcons.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Calling it now, Rey turns out to be the Leia's daughter after all. Doesn't even matter if it was Kylo's ploy all along or just a retcon, TLJ deserves all the retcons.
I'd rather Luke, before his academy years, was a total womanizer with kids all over the galaxy. One of them is Matt Smith and he is going to hook up with Rey and make more Skywalkers and the next movies will be about their kids in another huge time skip.

Doctor Who with a lightsaber and his time lord kids are Skywalkers. Take that marketing.

zignor 4

Molten Core Raider
You have to be a retarded 5 year old to ignore such monumental breaks in logic.

Oh, good. More physics bitching about a God damn Star Wars movie. Please let's fill up more pages with fretting about the gravimetric properties of laser space bombs.

Teaser is definitely more compelling than anything that came out of TLJ, but then so are parts of the Holiday Special. Star Wars is kind of one big shrug to me anymore, which is a shame.

• 1Garbage
  • 1Cringe
  • 1Seriously?

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Palpatine coming back? No shit? and everyone rejoiced?
Holy hell, I mean lets just recycle all our old shit, Whats the over / under that there will be yet ANOTHER deathstar?
Why not bring back Snoke? I mean with everyone sucking on the balls of ROTJ this completely undermines that whole story. Luke and Anakin didnt defeat the Emperor, Rey did!!1!!

I wouldn't call it recycling old stuff... it's what the fans want. Before they leave the characters behind they want proper send offs for all of them. Their chapters didn't close with RotJ. The expanded universe is partially to blame for that but everyone wants to know Han/Leia's story, Luke's, etc. I agree Snoke needs to be fixed, JJ set them up pretty well with Snoke and a bunch of other pieces of the franchise but Johnson took a dump on it all. There's a time to move on but there's been so much ground laid, canon or not, that fans want to see on the big screen.

That was the whole point of this trilogy was to wrap all of this up and establish new characters so we can move on. They had three movies to either bring us Qui-gon or Obiwan's heir, Luke and/or Leia's children, Darth Plagieus, and whatever else they wanted to throw at us and so far they've missed the mark. JJ led us to believe all of this was happening and then Johnson said Snoke is nobody, Rey is nobody, Poe is brat, Fin... who knows, etc.

It really sucks they lost an entire movie of wrapping up the franchise we all know and love so JJ will have to take one and cover two movies worth or material.

• 1Like

Sevens

Log Wizard
I wouldn't call it recycling old stuff... it's what the fans want. Before they leave the characters behind they want proper send offs for all of them. Their chapters didn't close with RotJ. The expanded universe is partially to blame for that but everyone wants to know Han/Leia's story, Luke's, etc. I agree Snoke needs to be fixed, JJ set them up pretty well with Snoke and a bunch of other pieces of the franchise but Johnson took a dump on it all. There's a time to move on but there's been so much ground laid, canon or not, that fans want to see on the big screen.

That was the whole point of this trilogy was to wrap all of this up and establish new characters so we can move on. They had three movies to either bring us Qui-gon or Obiwan's heir, Luke and/or Leia's children, Darth Plagieus, and whatever else they wanted to throw at us and so far they've missed the mark. JJ led us to believe all of this was happening and then Johnson said Snoke is nobody, Rey is nobody, Poe is brat, Fin... who knows, etc.

It really sucks they lost an entire movie of wrapping up the franchise we all know and love so JJ will have to take one and cover two movies worth or material.
But 100% The Emperor's story did end there, Darth Vader sacrificed himself to destroy him...if you bring him back that is all for naught! As I said (if they truly bring back the emperor) then it will gut the entire story arc of Luke / Anakin. That was really the only thing about ROTJ that was any good, now they are going to hack it up.

• 1Like

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Can't wait for all the tryhards wishing this franchise wasn't total garbage now to come back here with glowing reviews and ball washing of JJ and then a year later everyone will be talking about what a piece of trash this film is.

"Rise" of Skywalker will probably look something like this.

• 1Solidarity

Cybsled

Palpatine coming back is at least an element from the extended universe, but I do agree they needed to plant hints in the first two films so it isn’t just a “lol I’m back bitches”, unless they do serious Snoke retcon.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
But 100% The Emperor's story did end there, Darth Vader sacrificed himself to destroy him...if you bring him back that is all for naught! As I said (if they truly bring back the emperor) then it will gut the entire story arc of Luke / Anakin. That was really the only thing about ROTJ that was any good, now they are going to hack it up.

Well kind of... that's why I mentioned the expanded universe and non-canon stuff. In the expanded universe Palp was a clone and they ended up finding an entire facility of palp clones. While I would much rather have a Plagieus / Snoke storyline, it's really not much of a reach for JJ to go with a Palp story arc.

From Wookiepeida:

"Darth Sidious was the most prolific practitioner of this esoteric technique in the modern era, surviving his first death at the hands of Darth Vader, and another at the hands of Vader's children, by transferring his spirit into fresh clone bodies. However, Sidious' strength in the dark side of the Force caused each clone to degenerate at an accelerated rate, forcing him to take new clone bodies periodically."

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Hard to tell. Both Deathstars asploded, but it certainly looks like the remains...

FB_IMG_1555097657981.jpg

Visuals look amazing, framing is good, has that JJ vision for that... But good lord, the curve to recovery on this shit show is going to be sharp as fuck.

• 1Like

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
Palpatine coming back is at least an element from the extended universe, but I do agree they needed to plant hints in the first two films so it isn’t just a “lol I’m back bitches”, unless they do serious Snoke retcon.

If they plan on having Snoke be a Palpatine puppet or a failed Palpatine clone to host his evil Force ghost, it could be a good way to recover from Snoke's utter and complete lack of backstory and explaination in TFA and TLJ (TFA didn't make a mistake in not developping him too much but TLJ really missed the mark in killing him before we knew anything about him). So that lack of backstory makes him easy to retcon without it clashing too much with established lore... I love McDiarmid's performance so much in these movies (even in the prequels he was the best part of them in my opinion) I'm just happy he's back in the franchise.

• 1Like

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
I'm not sure literally even one person on earth thinks any of this was intended from the start, but as far as retcons go, bringing Palpy back (in whatever form) is pretty damn elegant:

You can retcon Snoke from Rian shitting on everything to a parallel of Palps tossing Dooku as soon as a better apprentice was ready (Anakin / Kylo).

You can have 9 turn 1-9 into an actual trilogy of trilogies (the Palpatine saga), rather than 7+ just being "Uhh, we wanted more money, so the definitive ending of RoTJ wasn't, despite no cinematic evidence to the contrary."

If they break out the clone card for Rey, you can tie it into both the clone stuff in the prequels and Palps desire to use Skywalkers (Anakin / Luke / Kylo) to stay in power. (And yes, they would also break out the woke card and turn it into "Woman created by men as a tool is better than all of them and fixes everything because Y chromosomes are evil", or something.)