Starbound

Caliane

So lets give this its own thread, instead of using the Terraria one.

What is it?
Well its Terraria but bigger and better apparently.
Hoping worlds is part of the design in this one.

http://playstarbound.com/

Release is: TBA. meaning, who knows.. They clearly aren't at beta yet.

They are talking now about possibly putting up preorders, as it would seem they need cash. suggestions of crowdfunding, or steam early access would be a good idea.
http://community.playstarbound.com/i...reorder.16281/

some got a bit burned on Terraria, and the split is a bit of a "thing".
IP holder of Terraria left due to personal things or something, killing any further development from my understanding. Leaving other members of the team, high and dry. One of those, started this.

Alexzander

Golden Knight of the Realm
Multiple planets are confirmed, yeah. You explore the galaxy in a spaceship. Pew pew.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Will be a day 1 purchase but not sure how they're planning on fixing the beef I had with Terraria where once you get the best gear there isn't much left to do. I guess adding those extra bosses was nice but it was only nice because they dropped shit I needed to make the next tier higher gear.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Put in hundreds of hours into Terraria over multiple "playthroughs" and this will be a day 1 purchase for sure.

Tenks

Kind of disheartening to see almost nothing is 100%. From being a software developer long enough I know being 90% done means it isn't actually close to being 90% done. Looks like they've barely even started work on server-side coding as well.

Drajakur

Molten Core Raider
rrr_img_19700.png

Love it.

Fazana_sl

shitlord
Yeah my initial interest in the road map was overpowered by the huge "How much left now?!" reaction when it seemed it was allegedly close to release 6-9 months ago and yet I wouldn't be surprised it they were still that far away now >.<

elidrin_sl

shitlord
This has been on my radar for quite a while, I enjoyed the shit out of Terraria and have been considering replaying it lately to pass the time. Looks like they have been talking about doing a pre-order/early access to the game deal also so I'll definitely jump on board if they do.

Venijk

A lot of their percents are a little mis-leading. Quadrupeds and Bipeds for instance are 70% but their description is "The game can produce a huge range of quadruped npcs, with unique behaviours, stats, size and art." I don't want to speculate what the other 30% would be, but (from my non-CS perspective) it sounds like the heavy lifting is done.

At first glance it seems the major outliers are quests/friendly NPCs, vehicles, multiplayer. Hopefully it doesn't get pushed back to 2014.

All-in-all it's pretty cool insight into their process.

Just for fun, here are their Percentages.
Creature Generation
70% Quadrupeds
70% Bipeds
50% Fish
50% Flying
20% Humanoids
50% Pregenerated NPCs
50% Behavior Scripts
60% Enemy Projectiles

World Generation
90% Biome/Terrain Selection
90% Terrain/Cave Generation
90% Liquid Placement
90% Large Dungeon Placement
70% Mini Terrain/Dungeon Placement
90% Plants/Object/Chest Placement
60% Plant Growing
90% Parallax and Colour Processing
90% Weather/Time/Temperature

Dungeons and Villages
80% Dungeon/Village Generation
20% Dungeon Protection

Core Mechanics
100% Physics/Collisions
90% Network Protocol
90% Entity Querying & Management
90% Low level world/entity storage

Player Mechanics
80% Player physics and movement
100% Status Effects
80% Item and Tool usage
100% Character Creation

User Interface
80% Crafting/Cooking
100% Health/Hunger/Temperature
90% Inventory
20% Party Window
20% Tech Window
70% Chat
90% Travel/Fuel UI
90% Tooltips
100% Investigation
90% Log
100% Hotbar

Quests & Missions
20% Interact with NPCs
40% Quest management UI

Items
80% Melee weapon generation
90% Gun generation
70% Projectiles
90% Blocks
90% Objects
70% Consumables
70% Armors
20% Vehicles

Universe Generation
90% Universe/sector generation
90% Biome Content
60% Mini Biomes
70% World-level parameter generation
80% Star/Planet orbital rendering
80% World bookmarking, storage

Server Stuff
20% Party Mechanics
40% Unique player IDs/Storage
20% Security/Anti Cheat
20% Admin tools

Disp_sl

shitlord
Oh wow, they must've updated that page this week because last week I swear all of the percentages were a lot lower. Seemed like a ton of stuff that was 70% a week ago is 90% now, so hopefully they wrap it up within a month or so.

Caliane

I dont know about that. wont that "server stuff" be a huge undertaking on its own?

And really depends on how honest 90% is. Which I doubt is REALLY an honest 90%.

Fazana_sl

shitlord
In an IRC chat a couple of days ago the main dev said
<@Tiy> themanyes: a beta will be released this year for people who preorder
smile.png
It's done when it's done and all that, I wouldn't hold your breath for a full release this year and then be pleasantly surprised if it does show up.

In the meantime the out of the blue new patch for Terraria appears to be chugging along nicely, a whole bunch of new screenshots went up the other day.

Lord-Unholy_sl

shitlord
Can't wait for this. Though I am a bit cautious about it. In Terraria, digging was a huge part of the game, and really fun to explore. Exploring new worlds will be awesome, but will resources be just as fun to gather? We shall see.

othree

JUST TAKE MY MONEY...RIGHT NOW!

I don't even care if it doesn't release until the end of 2014. Pumped does not even begin to describe my emotions right now.

I bought terraria and didnt play alot, starbound seems more up my alley. Im an old school gamer from the 80s and ive been looking forever for a game that reminds me of starflight even in the least bit and this seems like this could be it. With mods it could be... stellar
smile.png
The music is really awesome, didnt listen through it all, wanna keep immersion levels high for beta release