Starbound

Golt_sl

shitlord
Didn't even realize we had a thread for this game, and being a huge fan of Terraria too... shame on me. Regardless, this is definitely a day 1 purchase from me too. Couldn't be more excited, sunk a lot of time into Terraria. Question though, I watched the video and had a cursory glance at the page, are you still mining for resources and whatnot on planets? I assume so, I saw people inside caves and underground, but I didn't see any actual digging/mining. Could have easily missed it though.

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
Pre-orders officially up in a Kickstarter style, with stretch goals and things. $15 for the base game and generic extra's, $45 bucks for a 4 pack (what I went with).http://playstarbound.com/store/

So far the first goal has been met adding a new race to the game. Nearing $600,000 and pretty sure it just went up within the last few days, so looking good.

Looking forward to this!

Fazana_sl

shitlord
Yes it went up only three days ago as per the post only 7 above yours announcing it
tongue.png

Hopefully the $$ amount incoming so quickly motivates them even more to crack on with the damn thing and get a release out already!

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Was going to hold off for actual release but with stretch goals may as well chip in now

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
If anyone's grabbing a 4pack I'd be interested, otherwise I'll wait a bit since there's no real hurry.

Fazana_sl

shitlord
While the wait for Starbound goes on, I saw this pop up on SA earlier today, it looks like a scifi Terraria...

Darkouthttp://www.darkoutgame.com/you can currently get it for $1.50 through the link on the next line with an extra game, I randomly chose Little Racers.

http://groupees.com/bagb2

Edit: I must note whilst I've bought it I haven't had chance to try it yet, a quick look at the linked LP videos make it look decent though.

Edit 2 : Well, it runs like shit on my crappy old laptop which can run Terraria and has crashed a few times. What I did see looked promising though. Buyer beware and all that but wth, it was ?1.01!

Venijk

I played through Darkout for a while. It's somewhat fun and scratches the itch but still rather flawed. Combat has a long ways to go.

Fazana_sl

shitlord
I've been keeping up on the SA thread, the light/dark combat mechanic sounds a bit whacko but the ones who have played for a while are reporting some quite interesting later biomes being found and stuff appearing on the tech tree.

The dev has put in a way to stop people just digging to China to grab the expensive ore instantly and fucking the game up (mostly for the upcoming multiplayer patch presumably) by making you need to do research through the tech tree "properly" before you can use it.

I'm hoping he puts in some graphical options so I might be able to get it to run eventually, I hate being a pc third worlder atm.

Caliane

I've been keeping up on the SA thread, the light/dark combat mechanic sounds a bit whacko but the ones who have played for a while are reporting some quite interesting later biomes being found and stuff appearing on the tech tree.

The dev has put in a way to stop people just digging to China to grab the expensive ore instantly and fucking the game up (mostly for the upcoming multiplayer patch presumably) by making you need to do research through the tech tree "properly" before you can use it.

I'm hoping he puts in some graphical options so I might be able to get it to run eventually, I hate being a pc third worlder atm.
Yeah, terraria, gnomoria essentially have that problem too.
terraria "solved" it by having more sideways growth. with jungle and dungeon being essentially locked. And some of the lower materials requiring higher tier pickaxes.
but I think the best solution is from those free flash versions, on armor games. pressure/air requirements. one was in water, and you needed both. to dig down you needed air tanks that would deplete, the longer you were down. and at the same time, you needed a pressure dampener to allow going deeper. so air, would let you stay down longer. both deeper, as well as spend more time in shallower locations.

Tenks

I bought and played Darkout for a few hours now. It pretty much feels like a slower paced and a bit deeper Terraria. The mobiles pose a real threat and, perhaps, too big a threat, I am constantly trying to mine and avoid them since I have no fantastic way of dealing with them head on. However anyone that like Terraria will probably enjoy this as well.

Tenks

Updating my opinion now that I've played around with Darkout for 6-8 hr or so.

Basically if you like Terraria you will like this game. It is bigger and deeper than Terraria while keeping the same gist. There are more tiers and more building options. The combat is not nearly as fluid as Terraria, though. However there are some stability issues, some control issues and various things that are to be expected being a beta game. The light mechanic is pretty cool once you understand how it works and how to make it so enemies are not perma spawning anywhere near you.

Giving the game a B at the moment mainly because of performance and crashing issues and a few various niggling problems like the inability to "paint" certain objects like back-walls. However if you're looking to chase that dragon that was the first week you bought Terraria this game is a must buy

Caliane

Probably should be talking about it in indie thread, or give it its own thread.
But, since we are here.

yeah, gave Darkout a shot too. Cause, why not.

So far my impressions are. Its a carbon copy of terraria with a fresh coat of paint, but less overall. not really sure where the bigger/deeper comes from. Looking at the patch list, I am not very impressed with its update pacing. Which is worrisome I think. other for sale alphas like PoE, gnomoria, DF, minecraft, terraria itself, etc. All generally had a fairly impressive and regular patching.

Balance seems way off so far. The light mechanic adds nothing. You start with glowsticks, which are the best weapon for like 3 tiers. sword, arrows are pointless. (arrows for killing jellies ok.) fire arrows suck due to the high demand for tar, and its potentially extremely limited access early. first 3 teirs of armor do about nothing. t4 seems to jump up, so maybe that will make a difference.
Delays for crafting is more of a pain in the ass then adding to gameplay. Having to go farm/mine for research sucks balls. that mechanic also needs work. once you get a decent weapon/armor, im sure farming the infinite respawns takes over though.

Tenks

It features far more tiers of crafting than Terraria offered and also adds incentive to build up a base. In Terraria you could easily get away with just having a ranch style house and hardly ever go back. It also has various things you are required to do like get liquids and electricity. I also like how the research points interact since it gives you a point to digging around since research points are, by far, my most limiting resource. I will agree that melee seems completely worthless in this game. Possibly because I'm not sure where or when I get a melee weapon other than a glowstick that does light damage.

I'm also not understanding how Tar is such a limiting resource. Just explore the surface laterally in the jungle and you'll find vast quantities of the stuff. Not like Jungle is very dangerous since the only mobiles that spawn are jellyfish (which don't require light damage) and those spiders (which do require light damage.) I have no more than 3 very large pools of tar 3 minutes away from my main base which is next to the Outlands. Not to mention even a small pool can easily fill up 15+ buckets of the stuff. I pretty much exclusively use fire arrows for defense. The only real pain about Tar is having to go back to base to make buckets. But since they make in quantities of 5 or something it isn't a huge deal. Not like rope or lumber are very hard to come by.

I'm also confused why you're saying the light mechanic is worthless. It is a soft way of your exploration. You explore various areas, light it up, and they become safe. They're not quite so safe until you are able to light them up. So it makes lateral exploration more dangerous instead of just walking over the entire planet without actual consequences. Vertical exploration is a bit easier since you can easily mine around and avoid all the tunnels and cavern zones to avoid spawns completely.

Azziane_sl

shitlord
Any of these games (T/DO/SB) involve serious home defense requirements? I remember Terraria adding the bloodmoon thing the last time I played. It was not bad but still felt a bit lacking. Since the first day I played Minecraft I've been itching for a game that would push you to explore/build/scavenge by day and defend at night. Which is exactly what Minecraft does to you the very first day, the very first time you play but then never again.

Still hoping Fortnite will do just that but Terraria would be a great platform to implement that in too.

Tenks

I can only speak to Darkout but no it doesn't really require base defense. Just make sure each level of your house and the outside is well lit and you're good to go. Though personally I'd feel that would get in the way of cohesive gameplay.