StarCraft 2

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Would sep strategy discussion threads be warranted here? Came here looking to thumb through them like before.

MsBehavn_sl

has an outie
I'm not sure how I feel about HotS single player. :/ I still got the CE but I feel a bit let down, as if they could've done so much more with it from a story standpoint in the same amount of time.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Would sep strategy discussion threads be warranted here? Came here looking to thumb through them like before.
Ask away, the problem is that most of what any one of us can say here is better explained in greater detail on TL forums, if you are willing to search. Though maybe not ATM, since HotS is so fresh.

Dabamf_sl

shitlord
Kills me that the entirety of the WoL story was undone within 20 minutes. Really stupid story. I watched the cutscenes for about 1/5 of the game, then just couldn't be bothered. The game is PREPOSTEROUSLY easy. WoL had some pretty challenging missions on brutal, especially if you went in a certain order and didn't have certain units before the really difficult missions. Hell the first mission you have to micro your marines pretty well. But in HoTS it was a complete joke. I failed a number of times, but a vast majority of those were from being so bored that I just a-moved my army into death.
Overall the gameplay is pretty good. WoL was better, but I thought the gameplay in that was stellar. As usual the story is lame and not immersive whatsoever. You HAVE to play on brutal. It's just absurdly easy.

Forbin_sl

shitlord
"Congratulations you have been placed into silver"

I have 1500 games played and was high plat when i last was playing. It's amazing how much skill degrades over not playing for a year and half.

How do i figure out what the number is after my ID so i can be added to friends lists?

Sir Funk

Lord Nagafen Raider
The leagues haven't had time to sort themselves out yet, I think the pros are being placed into Silver too.

To find your character number just pull up your friends list, Add Friend, and then select Character Friend and it will show you on the bottom.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Lol pros aren't being placed in silver. If they're pro they'll go 5-0 in their placements and get put into platinum. But yeah the leagues are really strange. I played some people today above my skill level and some people who were clearly bronze.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I'm not sure how I feel about HotS single player. :/ I still got the CE but I feel a bit let down, as if they could've done so much more with it from a story standpoint in the same amount of time.
Blizzard seriously going down the drain. I personally had zero interest in HoTS and the bullshit that will be following it(legacy of the void) after playing WoL and getting to see how down right retarded the story/gameplay. Pretty sad too considering Starcraft was on of my favorite games and I loved the story in SC/BW.

Tenks

Wow the SC2 thread in General went full retard. Going to make this my home again.

dak

So has this not been pirated yet because it's protected differently than WoL or does no one care enough to create a new sc2allin1 offline launcher?

MsBehavn_sl

has an outie
Blizzard seriously going down the drain. I personally had zero interest in HoTS and the bullshit that will be following it(legacy of the void) after playing WoL and getting to see how down right retarded the story/gameplay. Pretty sad too considering Starcraft was on of my favorite games and I loved the story in SC/BW.
I had interest in HotS, but yeah I have to agree; Blizzards story telling is going to hell. The SC universe is brilliant but the stuff we're seeing is nothing but disappointing and childish almost. There's so much depth in the SC universe and we're getting twilight level stories.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I blame their decisions to roll the stories into 3 games. So basically they had little to tell, and they had to tell it in full games instead of 1/3 of the game. So it drags on and it goes full retard a few times. It's obvious from WoL that the big important shit is going to be at the very end, from the prophecy and what not, and everything on the way is only there as a build up. But that makes WoL and HotS pretty shitty stories because of that. At least something important happens in HotS, in WoL not so much.

Had they made a game with a tri campaign rolled in I think they could have done more with less. Also they could have done overlapping and tie-ins and shit and it probably would have just been better. Even if they did 3 games with tri expansions I think it'd have ended better. Also one of the fun part of WC3 imo was getting to play different races one after the other. Sure it kinda sucked when you had to play tree hugging wisp loving retards at the end of the campaign instead of manly orcs, but eh. But a fuckton more was happening in WC3 RoC, and then a fuckton more happened in Frozen Throne. In comparison, as much is going to happen over like 7years in their 3games than in WC3 RoC, maybe. MAYBE.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I blame their decisions to roll the stories into 3 games. So basically they had little to tell, and they had to tell it in full games instead of 1/3 of the game. So it drags on and it goes full retard a few times. It's obvious from WoL that the big important shit is going to be at the very end, from the prophecy and what not, and everything on the way is only there as a build up. But that makes WoL and HotS pretty shitty stories because of that. At least something important happens in HotS, in WoL not so much.
Biggest problem for me is the story is just a jumbled mess and all over the place, retarded filler aside. Shit like Tychus being a double agent that they showed you coming from a mile away, a complete known(Valerian) coming out of no where to be a semi deus ex, Zeratul missions just randomly scattered about and having no connection really to rest of the story as a whole, Mensk being some super bad dictator but not really doing anything other than give a speech or something.

All that combined with like you said, doing dumbshit which has no bearing on the story(I give a fuck about these infested refuges why exactly?) made for a terrible single player experience.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Well for example the Zeratul missions would make sense if you played Protoss a few hours later and learned exactly what's going on and shit. I mean a lot of the other stuff you listed also kinda happens in WC3 at various points. Now my memories of WC3 is certainly a bit foggy but iirc at the start of frozen throne, you have vashj popping up for the first time and actually having tremendous power, kinda comes out of nowhere. Sylvanas goes from total forgettable secondary char into leader of the scourge, which is easily one of the most iconic role in the story. Sure you have Arthas, Thrall, Illidan broing it up with the big roles for the big characters, but there's a lot of new powers that pop for no specific reason or stuff that's very obvious right from the start.

Also infested refugee could have a bearing on the story. The first time you see Arthas slipping up for example is in that quest where you have to save villagers from the scourge contamination, and he decides fuck that noise I'm gonna go kill demons/undeads instead and let a very large part of the people die for revenge. A seemingly mundane and boring quest becomes a turning point in the story of the char. They are definitely completely pointless in WoL though since they do basically nothing, unless at some point they add a character that was saved during that mission and become a leading figure, but since it didn't happen in WoL it's unlikely to happen later with the heavier focus on the other races, and if it does it will have lost all impact cause it'll have been so long since anyone played WoL anyway.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Lol pros aren't being placed in silver. If they're pro they'll go 5-0 in their placements and get put into platinum. But yeah the leagues are really strange. I played some people today above my skill level and some people who were clearly bronze.
Because people are pulling major cheese for their placements and being put into high ranks is my guess. Every single placement game I played I was cheesed in some fashion. Yeah yeah, a better player would defend it, but I am basically -10 SC2 skill.

Blide_sl

shitlord
My biggest problem with the SC2 plot is all that the campaigns are focused on building up your forces rather than really trying to tell a story. I have no problem with units slowly being made available but I do have a problem when most of the missions sole purpose is to unlock other units and have really no bearing on the plot. That shit just comes off as a being filler which was notably absent in the first SC.