Stardew Valley

DoctorSpooge_sl

shitlord
Thanks guys - figured as much. Always looking for short-session, laptop-friendly Steam games, although if the game is half as addictive as claimed I will be ignoring my parents tonight.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I had to stop playing it because it was preventing me from writing lab reports for two different classes. It was really bad. I kept going "Okay I'll go to bed and then stop" and then get up and start watering crops immediately....

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I just got to Summer year 2 over the weekend. I'll be a millionaire by Fall I'm pretty sure. I pretty much have ignored town relationships and fishing to this point, focusing all my time in the Skull Mines and on the farm. I have about 50 - 66% of the farm covered in automated sprinklers. Got my Barn, Coup, and House all upgraded to max. I need to work on finding a wife, but it might be too late to win her over before the game ends, I don't know.

This dude is insane:

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I never played the SNES game that many people compare this to. From reading about it and seeing screenshots, it seems like a more complex Farmville. What am I missing in its appeal?

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
On paper I should hate this game. Farming, fetch quests, crafting, etc I usually despise. Instead i put in almost 100 hours and loved it. I cant explain it.

I think the SNES style and some of the early game subtle mystery was just enough to get me interested. 30 hours later i am min/maxing my run to the seed store to fill in my shiny new sprinkler areas i grinded in the mines for.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Its ridiculous until you make a bajillion dollars and there isn't anything to drive you forwards.

There's something about farming sims that just clicks with people. Even the shitty Euro Farm Simulator games are hugely successful, and they're way way way more hardcore than something like this, which is light hearted and relaxing to play.

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
It says out of season crops will die.

So if my Spring parsnips are 4 days away from harvest and Summer is only 3 days away, is my entire parsnip crop lost immediately or do I get a bit of a grace period to bring them in?

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Everything dies the day it switches seasons. Gotta be sure to count how long shit will take to finish.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah, 28 days in each season and when it changes non-specific crops die. The specific ones that survive are Ancient plants (spring-winter) and corn (summer-fall). If you get an ancient seed, don't plant that unless you have a seed maker and the greenhouse (don't lose it to random weather events or what have you) and then put it in the greenhouse. Becomes basically the best money-maker in the game, and you can neglect the entirety of the other crops once you start filling the greenhouse with 'em.

McShrimp

Molten Core Raider
Its not all bad though. The crops die, but the ground underneath them should stay tilled. When the season changes, if you leave the spots empty, there's a chance they revert back to normal ground, and can spawn rocks and trees and shit. Its much quicker to cut down dead crops with a scythe, rather than have to axe/pick/hoe the ground again.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
really fun and addicting game

can see it appeal to both casual and hardcore players

after some 20 hours total in the game, i proudly found myself in dungeon level 85, only to come here and see lvl 400+ is around

guess i ain't done yet

you can't really lose, but there is so much stuff to min-max it just keeps going, in that way it feels very EQish

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
I didn't get the appeal of this game until I finally decided to break down and give it a shot. Sims are right up my alley and there is lots of stuff to do.

Question: Once plants like green beans and strawberries begin bearing, do you still need to water them?

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
I didn't get the appeal of this game until I finally decided to break down and give it a shot. Sims are right up my alley and there is lots of stuff to do.

Question: Once plants like green beans and strawberries begin bearing, do you still need to water them?
yes