Starfield - Fallout fallout that isn't ES6

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Temples were weird for me. Like when I was at the point where you have to do the retarded Short Sighted/High Price to Pay stuff, Vlad Black Araysar won't talk to me about anything else (because I was already locked into a companion quest for Andreja), but while just roaming around space I would randomly get 'quests' to do temples. I thought at first it was because I had landed on the same planet for some other reason, but nope, some of them were several jumps away.

Question for people who've already moved to NG+:

Right now I'm just past High Price to Pay, I've done the Terrormorph series but not Crimson Fleet, all of Ryujin, and haven't started FC. I really want to do a full NG+ playthrough before Phantom Liberty, so any advice on whether I need to do anything else besides just plowing through the rest of the MSQ at this point? I definitely want to collect all the powers but I don't think anything else matters really? Hearing that one is stuck behind Barrett stuff is definitely a downer, he's still alive but I haven't used him as a companion at all and even kicked him off my ship in favor of Omari.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Question for people who've already moved to NG+:

Right now I'm just past High Price to Pay, I've done the Terrormorph series but not Crimson Fleet, all of Ryujin, and haven't started FC. I really want to do a full NG+ playthrough before Phantom Liberty, so any advice on whether I need to do anything else besides just plowing through the rest of the MSQ at this point? I definitely want to collect all the powers but I don't think anything else matters really? Hearing that one is stuck behind Barrett stuff is definitely a downer, he's still alive but I haven't used him as a companion at all and even kicked him off my ship in favor of Omari.
In NG+ literally the only thing that carries over is the powers. You get an epilogue where major choices you made are showcased but I don't know how extensive that is. I was in a pretty similar state as you and wanted to get to NG+ before really committing to doing everything in the game.

Vorph

In NG+ literally the only thing that carries over is the powers. You get an epilogue where major choices you made are showcased but I don't know how extensive that is. I was in a pretty similar state as you and wanted to get to NG+ before really committing to doing everything in the game.
Really wish you could redo traits and background when you start ng+. Wanted is great but I've come to realize Kid Stuff and Dream Home are useless. And not taking Bounty Hunter just so I could get into weapon mods a little quicker was a dumb idea.

Do you have to redo all the research in NG+ or is that included with the skills transfer? Personally I would've liked a full respec too.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Really wish you could redo traits and background when you start ng+. Wanted is great but I've come to realize Kid Stuff and Dream Home are useless. And not taking Bounty Hunter just so I could get into weapon mods a little quicker was a dumb idea.

Do you have to redo all the research in NG+ or is that included with the skills transfer? Personally I would've liked a full respec too.
Good point, research persists. I guess technically what persists is level, skills, research, traits, background and powers. I agree that background and traits should be rerollable. I also wish you could do a full respec. It'd be fun to do a social combat build though I guess I don't know how Manipulation and Instigation work, and whether you could drop into an Ecliptic Base and just start charming hostile NPCs.

Zefah

<Gold Donor>
Loot not carrying over doesn't really make any sense even from the game's internal lore. Then again, a lot of Starfield's setting and lore doesn't make any sense, like how technology seems to be completely the same over the 150+ years since the collapse of Earth.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Loot not carrying over doesn't really make any sense even from the game's internal lore. Then again, a lot of Starfield's setting and lore doesn't make any sense.
My take is that your atoms are literally torn asunder, turned into pure energy and reassembled in the new universe. That works because you're Starborn and your physiology has been fundamentally changed (which the UC Vanguard quest comments on during your physical). So that legendary Advanced Hard Target you've been using to pop domes can't come with.

The new gear would be a lot more interesting if you couldn't just buy high-level gear from vendors that is nearly as good as what you'd find if you cleared a few dozen POIs.

Zefah

<Gold Donor>
My take is that your atoms are literally torn asunder, turned into pure energy and reassembled in the new universe. That works because you're Starborn and your physiology has been fundamentally changed (which the UC Vanguard quest comments on during your physical). So that legendary Advanced Hard Target you've been using to pop domes can't come with.

Torn apart and reassembled..... and given a fancy spaceship and spacesuit along the way somehow.

Zefah

<Gold Donor>
Well I sure as shit didn't have the spaceship and suit before entering Unity.

Exactly... It's just bizarre. Like the "creator" of the Unity and everything is also making these very specific spaceships and spacesuits that he gives to each Starborn on their reaching the Unity.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Exactly... It's just bizarre. Like the "creator" of the Unity and everything is also making these very specific spaceships and spacesuits that he gives to each Starborn on their reaching the Unity.
From what I can tell that's never explained too, now matter how many NG+s you go through. I was kind of expecting / hoping that at NG+ all of a sudden this guy shows up or something

I think I really was just hoping to explore the First Contact War of Mass Effect 1 in Starfield. Here's to hoping that's where they go with the DLC.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Vorph

Can't say I'm looking forward to rerolling the starborn suit for Combat Vet / Weapon Holsters / Mechanized with each NG+ iteration. Though I guess it makes the Mantis set a lot easier to save scum when you only need a Hauler/Fastened pack and some sort of not-shitty helmet.

So that legendary Advanced Hard Target you've been using to pop domes can't come with.
Thankfully the best weapon in the game is a trivial to get white advanced Magshear from the weapon shop in Hopetown. For some reason it rolls with 50% more damage than a normal advanced magshear, making it better than any legendary.

Re-getting my Va'ruun Inflictor will be a painful process though, I suspect. Doubt it's worth it anyway, since I barely play on PC and gave up on getting headshots with the gamepad long ago.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Can't say I'm looking forward to rerolling the starborn suit for Combat Vet / Weapon Holsters / Mechanized with each NG+ iteration. Though I guess it makes the Mantis set a lot easier to save scum when you only need a Hauler/Fastened pack and some sort of not-shitty helmet.

No need to save scum, just get the mod that lets you replace lego mods just like player added mods, on the work bench, for resources:

If you care about cheeves, there is a mod that makes it so modded games can get cheeves:

• 1Like

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler

There's a command in the console you can enter to go through character creation again. It doesn't lose anything and doesn't disable achievements. I used it to change my traits. I shared it earlier in the thread but not searching for it on mobile.

• 1Like

DickTrickle

Thankfully the best weapon in the game is a trivial to get white advanced Magshear from the weapon shop in Hopetown. For some reason it rolls with 50% more damage than a normal advanced magshear, making it better than any legendary.

Re-getting my Va'ruun Inflictor will be a painful process though, I suspect. Doubt it's worth it anyway, since I barely play on PC and gave up on getting headshots with the gamepad long ago.
To be clear, the Starborn suit takes all gear slots. You can't equip other stuff, making it suck compared to full Mantis. Likewise, the ship is cool (would love to keep the wide open view) but can't be upgraded, making it inferior.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
By the way, just for anyone keeping score at home, around level 30 (I was 31 by the time I got back to trying much) is when you seem to be able to steal Class C ships on the ground. I got a Crimson Ghost White and a UC Vanguard, both Class C. They are both massive ships and confusing as fuck inside, but it was fun/annoying having to search through the CF ship finding all the contraband.

Nothing compared to the Narwhal of course, even before modding it, but since you have to have a ship to tear apart to build one, I figured why not start with a couple huge ones instead of buying something?

I know the Frontier has the unique hab module, and the Razorleaf has the unique "scare pirates" feature, but are there any other unique items in terms of ship modules? I have the Ranger ship and the Kid Stuff ship (Wanderwell) but since I don't have a fully unlocked shipyard yet due to level, I'm unsure if any of the parts of those two or any ships I steal can only be found on those, and I don't want to sell anything I might regret later. I did a quick search and didn't see anything, but 90% of the articles are about "unique ship modules" to level up the skill.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Tide27

I've pretty much stopped using digipicks. I never skipped them in Skyrim, Oblivion, Fallout 3/4 etc, but Starfield's minigame is just the worst.
I don't mind the mini game to pick the locks, however I have been massively disappointed in the loot behind the locks.

A majority of the time it's less random loot that spawns in a typical cut / paste room. I don't think I have ever picked even a master lock with like 11 to 12 different combinations on it and been wowed.

• 3Like

DickTrickle

I don't mind the mini game to pick the locks, however I have been massively disappointed in the loot behind the locks.

A majority of the time it's less random loot that spawns in a typical cut / paste room. I don't think I have ever picked even a master lock with like 11 to 12 different combinations on it and been wowed.
I feel the same. I actually like the mini game but it's almost never worth it unless it's to do some story bypass or something like that.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
I've pretty much stopped using digipicks. I never skipped them in Skyrim, Oblivion, Fallout 3/4 etc, but Starfield's minigame is just the worst.

The 4 layer puzzles are just so fucking exhausting. Since you can't tag keys with which layer you intend to use them on, in game, I've been doing it with the windows screenshot tool. But fuck me, I'm close to getting that lock picking mod as well.

• 3Like

DickTrickle

Maybe I'm a digipick savant but I do them in like 30 seconds. I probably succeed in 85% of them first try, I'd guess. It's better to just give it a quick study and attempt and waste an occasional pick than trying to prove out the entire stack in advance. The blue rings are usually pretty good indicators of which ones to pick when you have a lot of choices. I feel like after enough of these you kind of subconsciously understand the patterns that get repeated.

Vorph

To be clear, the Starborn suit takes all gear slots. You can't equip other stuff, making it suck compared to full Mantis. Likewise, the ship is cool (would love to keep the wide open view) but can't be upgraded, making it inferior.
Ah I forgot about that. Guess I'll just go with Peacemaker suit and Mantis pack/helmet again at the start.

There's a command in the console you can enter to go through character creation again. It doesn't lose anything and doesn't disable achievements. I used it to change my traits. I shared it earlier in the thread but not searching for it on mobile.
slm 14? I knew about that for changing looks (mainly the genetic code or whatever it's called that you can't change at Enhance!), didn't realize it would let you redo everything.