Starfield - Fallout fallout that isn't ES6

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
I'm still trying to find the UC Navy Armored Fatigues that gives +5% reload speed and also has 25 phys def. I've got a different one with the reload effect but it has useless defenses.
1st Cav outfit you can take from the Mercs in the Freestar Ranger questline has 5% reload and 25 Phys Def., Also looks great.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
It truly doesn't bother me. Nor do the two gay relationships that seem to exist really bother me. The game doesn't put that in your face, and keeps it natural which I think is fine. I think the issue we always have with games that do this shit is often that it does it in your face, or forces you down a SJW type path (quest to plant gay flags or whatever), or oversexualizes the gay relationships specifically.

sf2.jpg

• 1Worf
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Soo anyone have their mission NPC's just float away into space? lol. Went to a mission giver and hit E while he was doing his pre-quest jabbering. All of a sudden he just started floating up.. and up... through the roof of the space station. I went outside and sure enough he was out there going off into space apparently.
Ive had it happen with companions but not any other npc so far.
Thats something i found just wtf.

Youre in a degenerate drug lounge and the gogo dancers look like gay retards.

In fact all of the game has a very pg vibe to it. I dont think ive heard a single person use foul language or a slur.

• 2Like

Oldbased

> Than U
The fuk is going in here cat.meme
I was reading through some pages thinking I was catching up on all the shitpostin here and realized I was 17 pages behind.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

Interesting theorycrafting. The gameplay concept of starting near New Atlantis and needing to build outposts along a path to the endgame in order to make grav jumps is pretty cool and adds some depth to travel and a reason for the outposts and fuel limitations. I can see why it was scrapped in favor of mostly free fast travel to make the game more fun.

I would not mind a difficulty option or overhaul mod that introduces something like this concept back into the game, essentially treating Starfield like a land-rush game. In a lot of ways Starfield's setting might be more fun if it was set a few hundred years earlier where the first grav drives were invented and we had to spread out of a dying earth.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>

Interesting theorycrafting. The gameplay concept of starting near New Atlantis and needing to build outposts along a path to the endgame in order to make grav jumps is pretty cool and adds some depth to travel and a reason for the outposts and fuel limitations. I can see why it was scrapped in favor of mostly free fast travel to make the game more fun.

I would not mind a difficulty option or overhaul mod that introduces something like this concept back into the game, essentially treating Starfield like a land-rush game. In a lot of ways Starfield's setting might be more fun if it was set a few hundred years earlier where the first grav drives were invented and we had to spread out of a dying earth.
This is exactly what I thought, and I think about it every time I see how much fuel a jump is going to cost, as if it matters. Travel in this game sucks, and I'll bet it sucked even more before they peppered it with 5,000 ways to fast travel.

I'm still having some fun in small bursts and there's not really anything that's particularly aggravating to me. It just feels hollow for 90% of the areas. The "real fun" is few and far between. This game is not unplayable and, yea, it's probably going to get really fun in the future....but the reality isn't anywhere fucking close to the hype. The only thing I'm actually kind of pissed off about is that I can't fly from space into a planet's atmosphere and skim over the surface in my spaceship. I honestly do not understand how that is missing from this game.

Glad I got this on gamepass though.

• 3Like

Caliane

I would disagree with the premise of "a different game" and changed in the dev process. they keep doing the same thing over and over. so its something they plan for.

Yes, EVERY Bethesda game is 2-3 different games fighting each other. and each only half done. they all start as immersive sim sandboxes. its a clear design philosophy. day night cyles, living npcs. killable npcs, etc. outposts, settlement building. if you can see it, you can go there. everything is lootable. etc,etc.
But its clear half the playerbase wants a standard on rails main storyline. and presumably so do the execs, or at least they don't have the balls to just go full Kenshi style full immersive sandbox.

so they clearly build that sandbox, but then comprimise somewhere along the line with sandbox versus on rails story. which introduces on rails story constraints. such as unkillable npcs, fasttravel, removal of "tedious" elements in favor of pacing, and so on.

I would love to get in a room with Todd and ask him about Kenshi, or Bannerlord, etc. even something like Conan.

Imagine skyrim where the civil war actually worked like Kenshi. patrols battling each other. taking out leadership in a town, made the town actually change hands. I'd bet at some point something like that WAS planned. but was cut to streamline for the main storyline focus.

Last edited:
  • 3Like

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I'm still having some fun in small bursts and there's not really anything that's particularly aggravating to me. It just feels hollow for 90% of the areas. The "real fun" is few and far between. This game is not unplayable and, yea, it's probably going to get really fun in the future....but the reality isn't anywhere fucking close to the hype
I think that all results from how broken up the game is and how tedious it is to get to each broken up area.

Should have made it one system.

• 1Like

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I definitely feel like some of the in-game systems were cut back a lot from what the initial concepts probably were, outposts being one of the biggest. But even ship design, I feel like could have been so much more, and the people that thought it up likely wanted to do more than BGS were willing to allocate resources to. Just the fact that you can't build a "garage" somewhere and fill it with spaceship parts is pretty lame.

I mention that because of the retarded limitation of having to start with a ship in the builder, you can't start from scratch. And because I finally finished the Crimson Fleet quest last night (I was so fucking wrong, I thought I had maybe an hour or two left, but I was up until 1 am yet again and finally finished it), now I'm starting to wonder if I fucked up in terms of those unique items you end up being able to purchase from the CF shipyard. I put them on my main ship of course, but did I fuck up by not putting them on my intended mega ship? I just finished the quest and went to bed so I haven't actually been able to check, but I'm assuming that if you pick the UC the CF ship vendor goes away although to be fair I distinctly remember putting a bullet in her and watching her crawl away, and I never found her body, so either she just bugged out or somehow she escaped and will work for the UC? so does that mean I'll never be able to buy those parts again? On the one hand choices mattering is cool, but on the other I am seriously contemplating replaying multiple hours of content just to buy those parts on the ship I'm actually going to build on. Or cheating them in, I suppose.

On a completely different note, I can't fucking stand having Barrett as a companion, but I want to make sure I finish as many of the companion quests as possible. I think I remember reading here that if I don't finish his I can miss out on powers maybe? Anyway, it feels like I've literally got gay(er) Neil DeGrasse Tyson following me around, and I have tried to shoot him in the face multiple times. It had to have been a purposeful nod to him, didn't it? He's an astrophysicist, he's gay, he looks and sounds like NDT, I don't know how you could be that close on accident. Fuck that guy.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
On a completely different note, I can't fucking stand having Barrett as a companion, but I want to make sure I finish as many of the companion quests as possible. I think I remember reading here that if I don't finish his I can miss out on powers maybe? Anyway, it feels like I've literally got gay(er) Neil DeGrasse Tyson following me around, and I have tried to shoot him in the face multiple times. It had to have been a purposeful nod to him, didn't it? He's an astrophysicist, he's gay, he looks and sounds like NDT, I don't know how you could be that close on accident. Fuck that guy.

I've spent 99% of my time with Andreja as my companion. Barrett kept bugging me to talk to him (well, all of the other companions did since they had "feelings" after every side faction quest completion) and triggered his star power side quest. I've never done any missions with him up to that point.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

Also why do you think NDT is gay?

• 2Worf

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I've spent 99% of my time with Andreja as my companion. Barrett kept bugging me to talk to him (well, all of the other companions did since they had "feelings" after every side faction quest completion) and triggered his star power side quest. I've never done any missions with him up to that point.
Yeah same here with Andreja (everyone, feel free to check out our marriage registry at Laredo's Weapons), but I thought one of the later powers (not the initial one) you could miss if you didn't progress his quest. I could be misremembering that, but I feel like it was mentioned here a few days ago. If not, at least I got to hear all about his dead gay lover!

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I definitely feel like some of the in-game systems were cut back a lot from what the initial concepts probably were, outposts being one of the biggest. But even ship design, I feel like could have been so much more, and the people that thought it up likely wanted to do more than BGS were willing to allocate resources to. Just the fact that you can't build a "garage" somewhere and fill it with spaceship parts is pretty lame.

I mention that because of the retarded limitation of having to start with a ship in the builder, you can't start from scratch. And because I finally finished the Crimson Fleet quest last night (I was so fucking wrong, I thought I had maybe an hour or two left, but I was up until 1 am yet again and finally finished it), now I'm starting to wonder if I fucked up in terms of those unique items you end up being able to purchase from the CF shipyard. I put them on my main ship of course, but did I fuck up by not putting them on my intended mega ship? I just finished the quest and went to bed so I haven't actually been able to check, but I'm assuming that if you pick the UC the CF ship vendor goes away although to be fair I distinctly remember putting a bullet in her and watching her crawl away, and I never found her body, so either she just bugged out or somehow she escaped and will work for the UC? so does that mean I'll never be able to buy those parts again? On the one hand choices mattering is cool, but on the other I am seriously contemplating replaying multiple hours of content just to buy those parts on the ship I'm actually going to build on. Or cheating them in, I suppose.

Yeah I mentioned the CF story based ship components the other day. I accidentally deleted them when modding my Razorleaf. Went back to an older save and lost a few hours. What I didn't do was buy bunch of those for some other ships, but I guess in the long run I can just take the Razorleaf and mod it even more. Somebody will probably mod the ability to buy those components off of a vendor, I'd like you I didn't know that they were limited based on your progression decision.

It's probably worth at least making sure you have at least one set of them.

• 1Like

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I mentioned the CF story based ship components the other day. I accidentally deleted them when modding my Razorleaf. Went back to an older save and lost a few hours. What I didn't do was buy bunch of those for some other ships, but I guess in the long run I can just take the Razorleaf and mod it even more. Somebody will probably mod the ability to buy those components off of a vendor, I'd like you I didn't know that they were limited based on your progression decision.

It's probably worth at least making sure you have at least one set of them.
I have since researched the mod that adds all parts to ship technicians, and the CF parts seem to be a matter of contention, as in they don't seem to get added or are buggy. Once the true mod tools come out it will be easy I'm sure, but I'd like them right now. Just not sure I want to go through that whole fucking Legacy segment again, particularly running out at the end.

I bought the parts and put them on my Narwhal, but I'm not going to be tearing that ship down and rebuilding it because that's my "good enough as is" ship while I fuck around with others, so kind of sucks to not have them on some others.

Pretty sure it was you that mentioned ship cap too, and I'm in total agreement. There is a mod that increases it but I hear that can be buggy too. Right now I don't want to sell 6 ships: Frontier, Razorleaf, Wanderwell, Star Eagle, Narwhal, and I'm sure I could sell it but currently I'm keeping the Prison Ship just in case I'm missing something unique about it. That's 6 of my 10 ships right there. Add another for the Kepler ship from a side quest, and I only have 3 free. One to mess around with and build from scratch makes 8. Always have to keep one free in case a cool ship lands to steal, so that's literally only one other slot (yes that number is a little subjective, what with saying the Narwhal is a must keep). I know I could probably sell many of those, but I don't know for certain that there isn't some part on them that is unique and I might never get back (as illustrated by this fucking CF part issue).

• 2Like