Starfield - Fallout fallout that isn't ES6

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
The prophecy is a monster ship just scale wise. It's one of the first ones I think I got after you explain the whole ship stealing process. I wonder if I've got some of those higher level ships just because I guess my guy was higher level. I haven't sold it yet I'm planning on sitting down and converting it / upgrading to something thats easier to move through internally.
It is definitely related to player level, as I never get Ecliptic Stilettos anymore, for example. Lowest I see at level 40 are Bayonets, and that is fairly rare.

Building a ship without ladders and shitty door placement is a lot harder than it looks! Trying not to just follow someone's video, but holy shit does my ship look retarded inside and out.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Not sure if joking or retarded.
1695543774278.jpeg

Also ran into another bug, lock picking minigame bugging out and not accepting valid inputs;

1695544541589.png

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Burns

It is definitely related to player level, as I never get Ecliptic Stilettos anymore, for example. Lowest I see at level 40 are Bayonets, and that is fairly rare.

Building a ship without ladders and shitty door placement is a lot harder than it looks! Trying not to just follow someone's video, but holy shit does my ship look retarded inside and out.
First, from what I saw, higher level only effects performance items, like guns, shields, gens, etc. At level 40, I think you have all the shapes unlocked, outside of maybe turret weapons and fuel tanks. So, for example, when new grav drives unlock, you can just replace that 4x4 grav drive, with the best grav drive, which is 4x4. Engine lines are relatively close, but one is slightly superior. I would just go with what looks best, but you can always look up which line does what at the highest tier.

As it was a new mechanic (for a Beth game), I spent a decent amount of time in ship building, but it wasn't interesting enough to spend hours on end fucking around with my own build. So I just followed a couple ship building guides, since just building ships, from the "guides" takes around an hour. Ill let them build it, load in, run around and look at thing and fly it, then spend more time making changes.

To that effect, there is a "no ladder" build, linked a ways back, that I built and it doesn't seem like there is all that much variation, unless you want to make all habs on the same level.

Somewhat related: Flying around looking for parts is super annoying, if I was still playing I would use the mod to make all parts available for your level, accessible at the outpost shipyard.

To make a 2 story no-ladder build, you need to use the Hope Tech bridge that is 2 stories and only sold at the Hope Tech factory, then, (according to the guide) how you place the habs can determine how ladders and doors are places. The video also said that they had some issues when individually placing the ground ramp entrance with 1x1 connecting room that had the docking ring on top. So he made that section separately then used shift to move them all at once to connect to the ship.

There is also a helpful horizontal connector hallway, that is smaller than the 1x1 hab (I think), only sold at Stroud-Eklund in Neon that is probably easy to miss.

Also, just saw this when trying unsuccessfully to check the name of that Hope Tech bridge:

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
View attachment 492052

Also ran into another bug, lock picking minigame bugging out and not accepting valid inputs;

View attachment 492055
I ran into this earlier. Basically one of the seemingly valid inputs doesn't exist and there's an invisible valid input. If you try other keys you might find the ring turns blue when it shouldn't be visually. I discovered this because sometimes I'd line up two keys in a row and submit the first one and then the second one would appear to no longer fit but I could submit it anyway.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Building a ship without ladders and shitty door placement is a lot harder than it looks!

I wanted a big cargo ship but without the maze. Converted one of the Va'ruun ships that had 30 power.

Got the bridge with stairs, because it's cool and stairs are better than ladders.

Top level has a docker with a 1x1 hab and 2 2x1 habs off either side. Could use a 2x1 for the docker but door placement got screwy. But 4 or 5 2x1 habs top level no wonky doors.

Bottom level has the bay loading into a 3x1 hab, then on one side a 3x2 mess hall, other side 2 3x1 habs.

Load through bay and you're facing the bottom of the stairs to the bridge. Load through docker and you're facing the top stairs to the bridge. No ladders with a lot of hab space. Full crew of 8 for future expansion if I don't jettison all their annoying asses.

The chonky thing is my barge, so 4k+ cargo space, but turns slow so have turrets on the back that melt shit fast. Almost easier to just boost away and make shit follow me.

Looks like a fat toad. I should post pics if I can figure out how to get them from the Xbox.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The simplest solution to the no-ladder thing is to realize that all habs are pointless except for the control station (unless you use a cockpit with 4 crew stations and then it's useless too. Crafting and research stations? Pointless anywhere except at the Lodge because that's the only place you have unlimited storage for all the resources. And since you can fast travel directly there, even if you're carrying 543092820/200 weight there's never a reason to craft anywhere else. I have just over 2000 cargo on my ship and that's way more than enough.

That's how I ended up with my Razorleaf build the way it is. I really only needed two habs worth of connection points to attach all the other modules i wanted, but the third one let me make it look like an actual ship instead of something made of Legos. I ended up using the all in one because I'm anal about having xp bonus from bed/food/drink running as much as possible, and it has both a bed and a galley which is the only crafting bench I care about. In the end I do still have 1 ladder but it's at the very back of the ship up to the control station which I have no need to ever go to anyway.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I think I'm putting Starfield on hold for now. I didn't see everything the game has to offer but want to "save it" for when patches and mods improve the game dramatically over the next couple of years. Virtually every feature in Starfield can be fleshed out and improved, turning into the massive space RPG we all have been wanting since forever. I didn't really follow what BGS did for Fallout 4, but I hope they do to Starfield what Hello Games did for No Man's Sky, which is really a paragon of a game developer building game that was released prematurely into a true realization of what everyone wanted.

• 2Like

Vorph

I didn't really follow what BGS did for Fallout 4

I wouldn't say Fallout 4 dramatically improved since release, either because of DLCs or user mods. It's the same game, and now there's just more of it. Mods make it prettier and fix bugs and QOL issues, that's about it. Settlements did improve a lot, but they're still a self-contained system that you can just do the bare minimum with and then ignore entirely and it will have no effect at all on the rest of your time in the game.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Does anyone envision a future version of this game where you can actually fly into a planet's atmosphere and buzz around the surface in your ship like NMS? Via DLC/Patch/Mods/Whatever?

Vorph

Does anyone envision a future version of this game where you can actually fly into a planet's atmosphere and buzz around the surface in your ship like NMS? Via DLC/Patch/Mods/Whatever?
Maybe in Starfield 2. Though with the weird design this game has I'm not sure how a sequel would even work. They boxed themselves in so much in order to make this convoluted NG+ system that I'd be willing to bet the vast majority of players never even touch.

• 1Like

Cybsled

Maybe, but that would probably be difficult, if not impossible, with the current engine. They had a hard time getting the space flight that exists currently to work and each generated area has a limited boundary before you hit the zone wall. They'd effectively have to solve for both issues.

The only way I could maybe see it working is if flying on a planet was its own thing. So in terms of instanced areas: Space, Atmo flight, ground. I don't think they can do seamless - perhaps they could hide the loading (NMS hides instance loading when you enter or leave an atmosphere by essentially blocking your view with reentry burn effects or atmospheric disturbance, for example).

So for example, maybe have cutscenes to disguise the loading? Then you fly around a planet which it its own instanced thing and restrict how low you can fly, then you can select a landing spot and it plays the landing cutscene and you get out. That is the only way I see with the current engine of them being able to do something like that.

• 2Like

Vorph

Came across something people might be interested in for ship building and how you spend your skill points, could save you from wasting some in a skill that does nothing for you.

Astrodynamics doesn't seem to actually let you exceed the max thrust of the grav drive you're using (which I suppose makes sense, but I thought it would improve drives much in the same way that particle beam systems increases damage). All it does is let you offset the effects of your ship's mass. So for my Razorleaf, which has 1013 mass after doing a couple more improvements, Astro 1 is enough to completely offset the loss of thrust due to mass and every grav drive goes exactly as far as it says in its stats. Unfortunately there's no 28LY drives so you pretty much have to buy a 30 if you want to be able to jump to Zelazny (and the other systems beyond it, which I can't find any way to get to alternatively). Which I guess also means that you have to upgrade to class B at some point or else you'll never get there, since there's no class A drives > 27LY.

So basically, take rank 1 to offset the mass of class A and small class B ships. Rank 2 if you want to be able to jump almost anywhere without having layovers while using the most efficient fuel tank in terms of capacity:mass. The most fuel you can use jumping all the way across the galaxy is like 400 units, so with the best (250) tank, you only ever have to stop once. Waste of a point imo. Rank 3+ is only for giant class C ships, and even then it also seems like a waste of skill points.

Also, as a reminder, Sarah's version of Astrodynamics does nothing for jump range. She only reduces the amount of fuel needed.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I don't even really want seamless planet/ground flight. I'd rather have fast travel. What I do want is a mechanic where you can buzz around the surface at something like 5x+ runspeed, and be able to land in arbitrary locations. I'm hoping in a couple of years or so there will be:

• Ground flight
  • Something that assists with identifying ore patches
  • A bunch of QOL features for outpost generation
  • Something that makes outpost generation an important part of the game

• 1Like

Vorph

Yeah, I would definitely like a way to get around planetside that doesn't involve ranking grav dash to 10.

Cybsled

If they have trouble adding ground vehicles, they could introduce a new type of boost pack: Exploration. Basically give you horizontal thrust with extremely limited control but massive speed and a long burn time. It wouldn't be practical for combat situations, but it would be very useful on a planet exploration since it would let you cover lots of ground very quickly.

There are already mods that add something to the effect of this concept, but it should be easy for BGS to add something to the base game that does this.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
If they have trouble adding ground vehicles, they could introduce a new type of boost pack: Exploration. Basically give you horizontal thrust with extremely limited control but massive speed and a long burn time. It wouldn't be practical for combat situations, but it would be very useful on a planet exploration since it would let you cover lots of ground very quickly.

There are already mods that add something to the effect of this concept, but it should be easy for BGS to add something to the base game that does this.
Nah fuck the ground vehicles. Those would be Mako-levels of fun on some planets but terrible on most planets. There's a ship mechanic in the game, use it, idc how silly or unperformant it is.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Came across something people might be interested in for ship building and how you spend your skill points, could save you from wasting some in a skill that does nothing for you.

Astrodynamics doesn't seem to actually let you exceed the max thrust of the grav drive you're using (which I suppose makes sense, but I thought it would improve drives much in the same way that particle beam systems increases damage). All it does is let you offset the effects of your ship's mass. So for my Razorleaf, which has 1013 mass after doing a couple more improvements, the combination of Astro 1 and having Sarah on my crew is enough to completely offset the loss of thrust due to mass and every grav drive goes exactly as far as it says in its stats. Unfortunately there's no 28LY drives so you pretty much have to buy a 30 if you want to be able to jump to Zelazny (and the other systems beyond it, which I can't find any way to get to alternatively). Which I guess also means that you have to upgrade to class B at some point or else you'll never get there, since there's no class A drives > 27LY.

So basically, take rank 1 to offset the mass of class A and small class B ships. Rank 2 if you want to be able to jump almost anywhere without having layovers while using the most efficient fuel tank in terms of capacity:mass. The most fuel you can use jumping all the way across the galaxy is like 400 units, so with the best (250) tank, you only ever have to stop once. Waste of a point imo. Rank 3+ is only for giant class C ships, and even then it also seems like a waste of skill points.

Also, as a reminder, Sarah's version of Astrodynamics does nothing for jump range. She only reduces the amount of fuel needed.
That's pretty interesting. Really wish it would have been I think like Tuco Tuco posted about the reliance upon helium-3, and having to slowly work your way out in a survival style method but I guess they canned.

I just know what I'm jumping from systems I don't ever take a look at how far it is and if I have to take a pit stop somewhere it's like whatever it's another loading screen. Would have been pretty fun to have to build your way up and utilizing those skills to get to the furthest reaches of the Galaxy.

• 1Solidarity

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I just know what I'm jumping from systems I don't ever take a look at how far it is and if I have to take a pit stop somewhere it's like whatever it's another loading screen.
What's funny is one of the loading screens says something like, "If you're in a system with an outpost farming HE-3, you'll have extended range on your spaceship!" like that's a perk of a system that might or might not be in the game.

• 2Worf

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
First, from what I saw, higher level only effects performance items, like guns, shields, gens, etc. At level 40, I think you have all the shapes unlocked, outside of maybe turret weapons and fuel tanks. So, for example, when new grav drives unlock, you can just replace that 4x4 grav drive, with the best grav drive, which is 4x4. Engine lines are relatively close, but one is slightly superior. I would just go with what looks best, but you can always look up which line does what at the highest tier.

As it was a new mechanic (for a Beth game), I spent a decent amount of time in ship building, but it wasn't interesting enough to spend hours on end fucking around with my own build. So I just followed a couple ship building guides, since just building ships, from the "guides" takes around an hour. Ill let them build it, load in, run around and look at thing and fly it, then spend more time making changes.

To that effect, there is a "no ladder" build, linked a ways back, that I built and it doesn't seem like there is all that much variation, unless you want to make all habs on the same level.

Somewhat related: Flying around looking for parts is super annoying, if I was still playing I would use the mod to make all parts available for your level, accessible at the outpost shipyard.

To make a 2 story no-ladder build, you need to use the Hope Tech bridge that is 2 stories and only sold at the Hope Tech factory, then, (according to the guide) how you place the habs can determine how ladders and doors are places. The video also said that they had some issues when individually placing the ground ramp entrance with 1x1 connecting room that had the docking ring on top. So he made that section separately then used shift to move them all at once to connect to the ship.

There is also a helpful horizontal connector hallway, that is smaller than the 1x1 hab (I think), only sold at Stroud-Eklund in Neon that is probably easy to miss.

Also, just saw this when trying unsuccessfully to check the name of that Hope Tech bridge:
That's probably the video I linked with the no ladders ship. Taking the further info you provided and Vorph's comments about not actually needing any of the shit I want to put on my ship, maybe I'll give it another go here soon.

Honestly the main things I want are pretty basic. Forward facing landing bay, simply because I hate running around the ship to get in or out. Landing bay and airlock right next to the cockpit, even if I have to run through the 2 story bridge to get from one to the other. Bed close to the cockpit. Everything else is just aesthetics and "If I had a real spaceship, this is what I would want." But the aesthetics kind of make me enjoy flying it more, you know? I could make literally a rectangle that would do everything just as well as a sleek badass ship, but I'd always see an ugly fucking rectangle. Even a huge Va'ruun boat rectangle has at least a little bit of finishing and presence to it.

Oh, and I am using the mod that opens up all available parts at a vendor you choose. I am not aware of one that works at the outpost because it requires a console command run on an npc, but if you know of one I'd love to use the outpost instead. Fuck dialogue options you have to choose over and over right in the butt.

One last thing. The inability to dictate our own doors and ladders is beyond fucking dumb. There is clearly an algorithm in place, as evidenced by that reddit post you linked, and when you connect a landing bay it checks for a path to the cockpit, so how hard would it be for us to click an actual connection spot, choose "door/no door/ladder", and then have that same checker confirm there is still a path to all locations?

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users