Starfield - Fallout fallout that isn't ES6

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Random thought - You guys remember Battlefield Vietnam, and how it had a built-in playlist of songs that you could turn on while flying around (and also import your own music)? These games need to do shit like that more often.

There may be legal reasons they don't want to do that. That said, I'm sure a mod will allow it some point.

There's so many things that make me think "God damn that'd be convenient to have" yet don't exist in this game. I'm having fun, but there were definitely oversights.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
There may be legal reasons they don't want to do that. That said, I'm sure a mod will allow it some point.

There's so many things that make me think "God damn that'd be convenient to have" yet don't exist in this game. I'm having fun, but there were definitely oversights.

I thought about it the other day and wondered what a good playlist would be for the game. Maybe some weird synthwave, with classic rock?

I think with those missing things, it'll be the same as Skyrim. Overtime the modding community, and hopefully some official updates, will add amazing things to the game. Yeah it really would have been knocking it out of the park had they included some pretty simple shit up front. I know that's a big topic yada yada yada. Fallout 4 was okay, Skyrim was decent, and I don't remember much about fallout 3.

I think the bones are there for this game. I'm really enjoying it more than any of their other offerings over the past decade. I normally burn out pretty quick, but this one's got me spending a few hours every evening doing even goofy side missions and messing around with the ship builder. I don't get a chance to play games much but we're in this weird run right now with bg3, starfield, and I guess phantom Liberty coming out. Also got done doing a bunch of stuff and Remnant 2 you and I still need to go back to that, it's an amazing game especially with friends. It's a weird time where I'm trying spending that free time playing these games versus fishing or something.

I know somebody can say why is it up to the community to make it an amazing game. Well if it gets people to spend their time creating all these different things to make the game even better that it must have done something right, if that makes any sense.

Sorry didn't mean to rant or something, I agree with what you're saying just made me think about it for a minute.

• 2Like

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
God damn the achievements requirements for skills is fucking annoying. Trying to find 30 god damn pirates to destroy with your ship being the Mantis is absolutely tedious.

Make 15 jumps looking for a pirate
Finally find pirates
Pirates jump away because youre the mantis

Also the whole jump system is equally fucking tedious. Why cant you just jump to a star system? Why do I have to go into the star system then specifically chose a planet or moon to jump to? I just wanna get back to Jemison!

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Or just take a couple bounties and be done with it in a half hour or so. I've never actually had a pirate jump away either. They say they're going to and they all turn blue in the HUD, but either they don't actually leave or they take so long to do it that I've long since killed them all easily.

You can also just repeat the ship combat training for Vanguard to get kill credit, but personally I didn't find that any faster plus you get nothing else for it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I did the VG training to get my skills up. It was the easiest because it was basically one and done. You just do them over and over again until you have your kills. You might not get ship combat loot, but IDK, I dont seem to get any good shit from that anyway. It always ends up being some crafting mat or two and maybe a ship part.

Zefah

<Gold Donor>
God damn the achievements requirements for skills is fucking annoying. Trying to find 30 god damn pirates to destroy with your ship being the Mantis is absolutely tedious.

Make 15 jumps looking for a pirate
Finally find pirates
Pirates jump away because youre the mantis

Also the whole jump system is equally fucking tedious. Why cant you just jump to a star system? Why do I have to go into the star system then specifically chose a planet or moon to jump to? I just wanna get back to Jemison!

Honestly, everything about the game feels like it was designed with the intent to be tedious and time consuming.

• 1Truth!

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Remember how I was bitching about my compulsive need to keep every ship I'm given, and I need more slots?

Yeah, so I just got The Datura too. Completely not anything I need, but what if I sell it and find out it had some hidden benefit/part I couldn't get anywhere else??

• 1Solidarity

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Remember how I was bitching about my compulsive need to keep every ship I'm given, and I need more slots?

Yeah, so I just got The Datura too. Completely not anything I need, but what if I sell it and find out it had some hidden benefit/part I couldn't get anywhere else??
What does that one look like? I got that falcatta you were hunting the other day, a Roanoke, and some other massive UC ship, can't remember the name, but it's the biggest I've seen land so far.

Cybsled

Had a Hyena II or whatever land. Seriously, fuck that ship. Thing is massive but a damned maze. Took me 5 minutes to find all the crew lol

• 1Worf

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Why cant you abandon quests? I have like 3 bugged quests and that's fine, whatever...but let me abandon the damn things.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Why cant you abandon quests? I have like 3 bugged quests and that's fine, whatever...but let me abandon the damn things.
Huh, no clue you couldn't. I've not had a single quest or activity bug so I couldn't complete it. I don't think I'm the only one. Wonder why those problems affect some people and others never have to deal with it. Is it something to do with video cards or versions of windows? Just bizarre.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Wonder why those problems affect some people and others never have to deal with it.
Some crucial step in reproducing the bug is something that most people don't do while on that quest. Lets say a quest bugs out if you walk against the left wall of a certain hallway during the quest, but the hallway in question is immediately after a right turn. Unless there is something to draw your attention most players will walk down the right side or the center, never encountering the bug.

Kind of an overly simplistic example but I think you get what I mean.

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Some crucial step in reproducing the bug is something that most people don't do while on that quest. Lets say a quest bugs out if you walk against the left wall of a certain hallway during the quest, but the hallway in question is immediately after a right turn. Unless there is something to draw your attention most players will walk down the right side or the center, never encountering the bug.

Kind of an overly simplistic example but I think you get what I mean.
Absolutely, and that's a great explanation. It's just weird that it is such a plague for so many people, while others haven't run into issues. I know the people floating off into space is a real thing because there are videos of it, but I've yet to see that happen on any of my NPCs during my playthrough.

I wonder how much of it might have to do with implementation to consoles in addition to PC?
Kind have gave me an idea that if there was somebody who made a YouTube channel doing a dissection or autopsy on how and why games that are released bug out or show glitches, they go into the detail with the code. Probably be pretty successful, I'm sure there are people that would be very interested let alone folks within the industry.

I don't know maybe there's already somebody that does that, I don't think I've seen it though. Help you can put a little team together of people familiar with code game development blah blah blah, and really debug and troubleshoot these problems, and be able to point to the developer exactly what went wrong. Might end up being able to parlay it into a consulting job testing things for folks.

Just a thought.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
What does that one look like? I got that falcatta you were hunting the other day, a Roanoke, and some other massive UC ship, can't remember the name, but it's the biggest I've seen land so far.
It sucks, but here it is.
20230923211246_1.jpg

I did get a Falcatta before as well, but sold it because Narwhal, but it was nice to finally get it. The biggest ship I currently have I think is the Va'ruun Prophecy, which is a fucking boat, and as we've all said about these big ships, fucking impossible to navigate the interior of. The only big ship that I think I haven't seen is an Ecliptic Claymore. I feel like just about everything else I've seen at some point.

I suppose tonight I should sit down and build a ship, but I'm only level 40 and I know that I can't get all the best pieces. Of course, by the time I get to 60 will I even care that much? Or even have more game left to play?

20230922013933_1.jpg

• 2Like

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Absolutely, and that's a great explanation. It's just weird that it is such a plague for so many people, while others haven't run into issues. I know the people floating off into space is a real thing because there are videos of it, but I've yet to see that happen on any of my NPCs during my playthrough.

I wonder how much of it might have to do with implementation to consoles in addition to PC?
Kind have gave me an idea that if there was somebody who made a YouTube channel doing a dissection or autopsy on how and why games that are released bug out or show glitches, they go into the detail with the code. Probably be pretty successful, I'm sure there are people that would be very interested let alone folks within the industry.

I don't know maybe there's already somebody that does that, I don't think I've seen it though. Help you can put a little team together of people familiar with code game development blah blah blah, and really debug and troubleshoot these problems, and be able to point to the developer exactly what went wrong. Might end up being able to parlay it into a consulting job testing things for folks.

Just a thought.
I think a lot of of the visual glitches are probably hardware configuration related. I too have never seen any floating NPCs. Also, just from my anecdotal inquiries and reading, I feel like the XBox version has been more buggy. You'd think it'd be very similar but there's always issues with translation to other devices.

That said, there's definitely so many different possible ways to interrupt scripted things, it's probably hard to find out every edge case in a game like this. I don't think a consulting team would really be that effective, at least any more than a real QA type team or repeatable coded tests.

I actually ran into what I would call my first real bug today doing the Terrormorph quest line. I had visited that planet long before I got the quest and killed the Terrormorphs there. Later, when doing the quest, a trigger to open a door wouldn't happen, probably because I had previously hit that trigger without the proper quest companion. Fortunately with the boost pack I could get up and fly around but it was annoying since the room had a ton of gear and items.

• 1Like

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
God I just love this reload bug. Reload, go to fire only to have to reload again. Happens all the fucking time.

If you reload and then use a stimpack while reloading it will cancel reloading your weapon, even though it plays and locks you into the reloading animation.

All these little bugs and so many quality of life issues, did anyone play this game before it shipped?

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Worf

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
All these little bugs and so many quality of life issues, did anyone play this game before it shipped?

I imagine the production meeting on things like ship power settings resetting all the time.

Low level nobody who actually plays games: Hey, should we make it so players can configure their power settings while taking off from a planet potentially into enemy ships because that seems like the most logical time to do it from a gameplay standpoint, we could even just bring up the system power interface while players are sitting in the pilot seat, if not just save those settings to ships not players?

Some high level non gamer in charge:

No Way Meme GIF

Quality of life stuff would be nice, or just a game that didn't run like shit on hardware they could plan for. I've only had a handful freezes or crashes ever on my series x. With this dog I've had 8 or 9. And it badly stutters in certain areas as assets load in the distance. Runs like shit for not exactly being cutting edge graphics.

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
It sucks, but here it is.
View attachment 492028

I did get a Falcatta before as well, but sold it because Narwhal, but it was nice to finally get it. The biggest ship I currently have I think is the Va'ruun Prophecy, which is a fucking boat, and as we've all said about these big ships, fucking impossible to navigate the interior of. The only big ship that I think I haven't seen is an Ecliptic Claymore. I feel like just about everything else I've seen at some point.

I suppose tonight I should sit down and build a ship, but I'm only level 40 and I know that I can't get all the best pieces. Of course, by the time I get to 60 will I even care that much? Or even have more game left to play?

View attachment 492032
The prophecy is a monster ship just scale wise. It's one of the first ones I think I got after you explain the whole ship stealing process. I wonder if I've got some of those higher level ships just because I guess my guy was higher level. I haven't sold it yet I'm planning on sitting down and converting it / upgrading to something thats easier to move through internally.