Starfield - Fallout fallout that isn't ES6

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
According to their twitter, the game's going to be the first one to run on 'Creation Engine 2', which at least sounds like it's going to be a new engine. We'll see, I guess.

it's not a new engine, they have said it themselves. They just call it new because it's better for PR. It's simply an iteration of CE, just as most "new" engines are an updated version of the previous one. And after watching the trailer, had they not specifically mentioned that it was on a CE2, no one could have known. The fidelity is like it's from 2015 at best. They're gonna put out the same pile of visually outdated and general buggy mess like they always do. Just imagine their games if they had swallowed their pride and moved on to a properly developed engine like Unreal or Unity? Also I bet my Tuesday's underwear that given the timeline, the main platform the game is designed for is last gen consoles and they have done nothing at all to push it towards current gen. Classic Todd.

• 2Like
  • 1Midwit
Reactions: 2 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
it's not a new engine, they have said it themselves. They just call it new because it's better for PR. It's simply an iteration of CE, just as most "new" engines are an updated version of the previous one. And after watching the trailer, had they not specifically mentioned that it was on a CE2, no one could have known. The fidelity is like it's from 2015 at best. They're gonna put out the same pile of visually outdated and general buggy mess like they always do. Just imagine their games if they had swallowed their pride and moved on to a properly developed engine like Unreal or Unity? Also I bet my Tuesday's underwear that given the timeline, the main platform the game is designed for is last gen consoles and they have done nothing at all to push it towards current gen. Classic Todd.
My Tuesday’s underwear?

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Starfield would've been a great time to jump onto Unreal and work on that integration leading into TES6.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
IMO the engine is what makes the fucking Bethesda games magic. Plus lets not forget the mod support afterwards. They gave us great games in the past and im betting this one will be too. I could give a shit that its not on unreal or unity.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
What are some examples of good Unity games? I’ve only played one that I know for sure is Unity, Edge of Eternity, and while it’s a cool game the engine isn’t something I’d be like “oohhh make your game with that!” cause it’s kind of janky. The animations are awful, there’s weird physics, etc.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The real head-scratcher when it comes to Bethesda continuing to use their ancient shit-tier engine is that they have owned Id for over a decade.

• 1Like

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
LoL Watched this all and was thinking the whole time, "man this looks ALOT like start citizen, if they manage to make star citizen before star citizen does...oh the drama"

Just gotta see gameplay footage though.

Mick

<Gold Donor>
What are some examples of good Unity games? I’ve only played one that I know for sure is Unity, Edge of Eternity, and while it’s a cool game the engine isn’t something I’d be like “oohhh make your game with that!” cause it’s kind of janky. The animations are awful, there’s weird physics, etc.
Cities: Skylines, Kerbal Space Program, Fall guys, Rust, and Escape from Tarkov.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
They had me at "Skyrim in space."
I’m surprised there isn’t a Skyrim mod that does this already. I saw one that turns all the dragons into macho man but they can’t make it in space???

• 5Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 5 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Dyson Sphere Program. Was really impressed how stable it was, especially for being made by a handful of people in China, allegedly.

Both are great engines. Personally, if I hear a game dev with an interesting concept is choosing one of them I'll feel relieved and know the game will at least have a solid engine. Professionally I never want to work with Unity ever again, Unreal is just better for anything I'd want to do.

Last edited:

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
IMO the engine is what makes the fucking Bethesda games magic. Plus lets not forget the mod support afterwards. They gave us great games in the past and im betting this one will be too. I could give a shit that its not on unreal or unity.
Yeah if they switched engines that'd be the biggest question. TES5 was so successful on Xbox that they could conceivably ditch modding and still make a commercially successful TES6, but it definitely wouldn't be elder scrolls.

Some of the almost incidental modability in some C# games like Bannerlord and Dyson Sphere Program is pretty crazy. Bannerlord had a lot of stuff you could very quickly mod on your own with just standard C# tools.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Their engine definitely gives their games a unique feel. Which was just fine years ago when the other engine choices were not that much better.

But the "clunkyness" of their engine doesn't fly in 2021. In fact it fucking sucks playing their games now when they all feel like quicksand compared to other games. That flavor is old, and not "magic" anymore.

If the new engine update addresses those issues then all the power to them. But I suspect it will still feel like quicksand playing this game, and I will tire of it quickly.

Cybsled

Yes, 76 is same engine. They’ve upgraded and enhanced it as they go, but the foundation and skeleton is still the same.

With that in mind, I’m curious how they will handle space shit

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Yes, 76 is same engine. They’ve upgraded and enhanced it as they go, but the foundation and skeleton is still the same.

With that in mind, I’m curious how they will handle space shit
I hope they have space exploration/combat + vehicle exploration/combat.

Really I just want Freelancer 2: Bethesda Edition.

• 1Like