Starfield - Fallout fallout that isn't ES6

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
this is a bell curve game, starts shitty, gets pretty good for a while, especially some of the well done side quests, then when once you get towards the end it just gets shitty again

started farting around in ng+ and meh, pretty much done with it.

may have to load up no man's sky tho

This is why I am in no rush to NG+. If I had to basically start over, doing the same quests again, I would lose all will to play. I need breaks before replaying. Same reason I couldn't jump back into BG3 right away, after finishing it.

Thankfully I still have a ton of quests to do before getting there and I keep getting more and more, as I pop places and they trigger new ones.

I'll probably use a huge chunk of the weekend building an outpost finally.

Last edited:

Cybsled

I built a basic one, but it seems like a lot of the modules are locked behind the skill.

One thing I am interested in is glitch builds. People have already figured out how to glitch-build ships so you can place parts of the ships in "illegal" spots to get cool designs.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I was reading that if you build a square ship with an empty center or, even better, an L shaped ship that enemy on-target hits will always miss you (assuming you're on roughly the same plane). I guess the calculation is based around center of mass so that throws it off and accurate shots won't hit you (but missed shots can). There was some reddit post about it but I can't find it now. The video showed a dozen laser/missile misses on an L shaped size. Pretty funny.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
Nah. It's just a mediocre, uninspired game. If it had anything to grab your attention it would be. Forum full of gamers wanting a space game especially to captivate them and it's not, because it's just a boring, low effort game.

Don't get me wrong, I miss my youth too. And while dealing with shitty Bethesda inventory management and getting stuck on every tiny rock brings back memories, at some point you'd think they would have actually tried to improve some things instead of just shitting out the same Bethesda format that was already getting old a decade ago.

So, yeah, game feels like old school Bethesda gaming. Problem is the game feels instantly dated, like you're actually playing an old game. It's kinda weird and almost impressive to pull that off.
The DF guys made this point: Whereas Skyrim or Fallout were limited to a single Kingdom or type of terrain, this has a bunch of different environments. In no way can you classify this as "low effort" FFS: It's a Bethesda game, with all of benefits and limitations that come with their design language and methodology. They applied that methodology to a Sci-Fi Space setting, with updated graphics and a brand new IP. Its not as good as people inflated it to be, nor is it as bad as people are making it out to be with that kind of rhetoric.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I was reading that if you build a square ship with an empty center or, even better, an L shaped ship that enemy on-target hits will always miss you (assuming you're on roughly the same plane). I guess the calculation is based around center of mass so that throws it off and accurate shots won't hit you (but missed shots can). There was some reddit post about it but I can't find it now. The video showed a dozen laser/missile misses on an L shaped size. Pretty funny.
Doesn't surprise me if there is some weird shit like that. Be cool to make a big ass ring ship or something.

Last edited:

Cybsled

If you go on the SF reddit, there are a bunch of cool designs. Some guy made the Planet Express ship, bunch of Star Wars or Mass Effect or Halo ships, some guy made a Battlestar Galactica, etc

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
I’m like 3 hours in and I already don’t know how to control anything.

The shootout at the start, how do I swap weapons? Oh, I go into my inventory and fucking dig through 2 menus and then fumble with the tiny triangle identifying what I have equipped. Ok, fabled fucked my way into a pistol, now I’m going to chase these enemies around.

Alright, I got hit a few times, the help text tells me to hit O (or is it 0? Unreadable text font for these things in the heat of battle having used no other numbers for anything). I mash O, nothing happens. I realize it’s ZERO, I mash that, my health goes up. Hey, how many of these healing kits do I have? Is it on the in world ui? Nope? Have to go into my inventory, another 2 menus deep to just find out if I have anymore of these. Getting annoyed at basic game design now.

Chase the last pirate around who hid between rock geometry and the side of the mining base wall. Loot all the pirates and dead miners, get given a ship. Board the ship, have a loading screen to enter the actual ship from the cargo bay… what? Get into the pilot seat, take off. Get ambushed by the pirates for my space combat tutorial. Am quickly explained controls and shuttling power around (holy fuck this is ST Bridge Command but worse since I need to hold a modifier to swap between the power elements then tick up or down in real time). Kill the first ship following their instructions.

Get told to loot them but given no further info on how that works. Do I fly and stop next to the marked cargo pod? How do I stop the ship? Why isn’t there an all stop button? Drift / fly past the thing 3 times and take too long that I trigger the second ambush. Now I’m mad at failing to loot and under a time pressure. Fumble fuck around moving power from my engines back to the shields nd weapons because I was trying to figure that game system out when I wasn’t given time before. Fight is on, my shields are down, the lasers are underpowered. Barely survive that fight at like 10% hull (0 or O? repairs the hull. How many of these do I have? Where are they in my inventory, because there not on the UI anywhere).

Now I have 3 cargo pods to loot. Finally discover that there’s some range (500-900m?) that you loot from when you target them and hit e. Where was this info before? Game tells me to head to Atlantis or whatever the first planet is. Ok, follow my blue diamond on the hud, max out my engines… and this is going to take years? Fumble fuck around with the power assignment mini game some more, max out the Grav(?) bar on the far right wondering if that it something (game hasn’t told me a god damn thing so far). Keep staring in confusion and annoyance at the UI and what just transpired when I’m suddenly ported to a loading screen and am now close to the destination planet. What happened, did I do that by accident? Did the game do that? Now it’s telling me to bring up my system map and fast travel to the destination on the surface. Press the appropriate buttons in the UI and loading screen into landed.

I’m so fucking lost and confused and at the point I need to go read shit on the internet / start over because not a god damn thing has been adequately explained and the in game ui is fucking trash.

Did anyone play test this shit?

• 1Like
  • 1Seriously?
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
^^ I had the same experience, but in all honesty what bethesda game didnt have this jank in it? Few hours in and you get the gist of all the systems and fast travels and such. Set the weapons up on hotkeys and just play.

velk

Trakanon Raider
Pro-tip - do not install on a non-SSD. Virtually unplayable. My fault for being lazy I know, but if you don't have enough space, clear some up and save the pain ;p

First impression other than that is - eh, ok. The thing I was most surprised by coming from B3 was actually how awful the talking head animations are. The starfield ones are very obviously one size fits all 'rubber mask' style animations, the difference is pretty stark. I am assuming BG3 is using some kind of face capture on the voice actors? Sometimes there's no substitute for actually putting the work in I guess.

• 1Like

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
This is the most elegant explanation of why social issues driving game development are annoying and harmful.

Or it's a singular sign that white men are the most entitled little bitches this planet ever produced.

50% representation of men and women in a military has never been what really happens? We are in a society where women couldn't be in any military role 100 years ago and yet make up 25% in the US military (all voluntary) and higher in other countries where at least some national service is mandatory. If this game was set in 1923 you would have a point, but it's hundreds of years in the future.

Constellation has 8 members (9 if you count the retired former leader who comes to the ceremony). 3 of the 8 are white dudes including the businessman who bankrolls the whole deal and 1 of the four romance companions.

Want to romance an Asian person? Too fucking bad, in the future it seems that people of Asian descent no longer exist despite making up more than 50% of the current global population.

Literally the only people who are seeing 'white men don't exist' are the whiny little snowflake bitches like Asmongold. Hell if anything there are far far more 'white' people in Starfield than would be expected after several centuries of genetic diversity.

Stop being a bitch with a martyr complex about how life is unfair because you don't automatically get everything you ever wanted handed to you and start living in the real world.

• 14Faggotry
  • 3Like
  • 1NPC
Reactions: 20 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Game looks 100x better with txaa disabled and a modified lut or reshade to remove the grey smear.
[/QUOTE]
I dont see how.
Want to romance an Asian person? Too fucking bad, in the future it seems that people of Asian descent no longer exist despite making up more than 50% of the current global population.
The very first character youre introduced to is an asian woman in charge of a mining operation.

Also mr moneybags is a whiny cunt who is shit on by sarah.
Literally the only people who are seeing 'white men don't exist' are the whiny little snowflake bitches like Asmongold. Hell if anything there are far far more 'white' people in Starfield than would be expected after several centuries of genetic diversity.
If youre being realistic here almost everyone should be a light brown or biege.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Pro-tip - do not install on a non-SSD. Virtually unplayable. My fault for being lazy I know, but if you don't have enough space, clear some up and save the pain ;p

First impression other than that is - eh, ok. The thing I was most surprised by coming from B3 was actually how awful the talking head animations are. The starfield ones are very obviously one size fits all 'rubber mask' style animations, the difference is pretty stark. I am assuming BG3 is using some kind of face capture on the voice actors? Sometimes there's no substitute for actually putting the work in I guess.
Bro a 1TB M2 drive is like $65.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Or it's a singular sign that white men are the most entitled little bitches this planet ever produced.

50% representation of men and women in a military has never been what really happens? We are in a society where women couldn't be in any military role 100 years ago and yet make up 25% in the US military (all voluntary) and higher in other countries where at least some national service is mandatory. If this game was set in 1923 you would have a point, but it's hundreds of years in the future.

Constellation has 8 members (9 if you count the retired former leader who comes to the ceremony). 3 of the 8 are white dudes including the businessman who bankrolls the whole deal and 1 of the four romance companions.

Stop being a bitch with a martyr complex about how life is unfair because you don't automatically get everything you ever wanted handed to you and start living in the real world.
People get tired of the pandering. Plain and simple. That and women cannot fulfill combat roles even in 2023, the physical tests are too demanding.

Remind me who the core audience for video games actually is?

And god damn this is a cringe post bro. lol.

Last edited:
  • 10Like
  • 2Truth!
Reactions: 11 users

krismunich

<Silver Donator>
I have no idea (and don't care) but the "blacks everywhere" in peoples oppinion is a thing obviously. I saw several "Ni*ersfield" memes and someone made a "remove all Blakks" mod already.

• 1Worf

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
200 years in the future, coming from a failed Earth, yeah it might not look like the USA today. Africa has 1.2 billion people right now and they're surely fucking a lot more than most white people. Still, there definitely are way less Asians (brown or white) in the game than I would think just based on current Earth population.

Also, on a different note, there's no way to craft ammo, right? I seem to remember that in Fallout 4 but that may have been a mod or DLC.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I am still just getting my feet wet but crafting seems expansive and confusing. The UI is dogshit and somehow even worse and less intuitive than the skyrim UI was at launch. The NASApunk artstyle they came up with is legitimately cool and refreshing.

This game has sufficient bones that a year of mods, updates, and so on is going to make it truly incredible.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I think you've missed the point: The characters in each scene should be supported by the lore.

I don't really care all that much about this topic, it's not a very complex argument.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

behold, peak ship performance.
Code:
https://i.imgur.com/eYmEPLF.png

• 9Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Galaxy Brain
Reactions: 11 users