Starfield - Fallout fallout that isn't ES6

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
200 years in the future, coming from a failed Earth, yeah it might not look like the USA today. Africa has 1.2 billion people right now and they're surely fucking a lot more than most white people. Still, there definitely are way less Asians (brown or white) in the game than I would think just based on current Earth population.

Also, on a different note, there's no way to craft ammo, right? I seem to remember that in Fallout 4 but that may have been a mod or DLC.

getting rid of smallpox was a mistake. Had we not done that there would be like five times less American Inventors there and same goes for the serial rapists in India, and the ching-chongs in China. and none of these problems that we have in video games now would be an issue

Last edited:

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Or outsourcing 80% of our industry to those other countries.

I have to work with outsourced Indian developers in my job and it's awful. 80% of them are worse than year one US college students, honestly. Yet, they make all of like $7-12K US so the execs figure they'll just hire six or eight of them to replace a US worker and it'll be fine. Indians actually working in the US are fine, I guess they're the cream of the crop.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
Apparently a DLSS mod has dropped, and the gains are pretty massive.

• 6Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 6 users

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
Looks like it, yeah. There are three separate mod versions. The frame generation/DLSS-G one is the one most suited for the RTX 4000s, the others run XeSS for Intel cards or DLSS 2.0 for older Nvidia cards.

1694093559797.png

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
5 hours in and just arrived at Mars, but man... I hate to say that I'm really not feeling this one.

I think my biggest problem is that the setting just isn't grabbing me. There's no sense of awe to the exploration, which is crazy considering it's about space exploration. The characters and story so far are really quite boring (subjective, I know) and the environments already feel like a big copy and paste job. It doesn't have that feeling that there's something awesome to discover or something crazy just waiting around the corner.

I'm probably not giving it a fair shake, but usually I'm captivated pretty immediately by Bethesda games and the sense of "awe" sort of fades after a few dozen hours. This one just hasn't had it from the start for me.

Also, the menu-based travel system is really lame. Makes the universe and world feel cramped.

I think I'll beeline the main story for a few more hours and see if anything grabs me. I really hope something does...

I played the first 35 minutes or so and wasn't feeling it (granted, got some RL stuff that's knockin' around in my head so that had an effect), and refunded. I'll likely approach it again at some point in the future, but that opening was just a huge bunch of meh.

I think they should have opened up ON a starship, possibly in the midst of an awesome discovery. The opening scene being you in a cockpit chair looking out the viewport at some wonder would have been pretty great, would definitely have hooked me.

Instead, I was blasting beryllium and passing out from touching something. Oh and my boss was a chick, as fucking usual. There was something about her ordering around all the men who were mining that really bothered me.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Or it's a singular sign that white men are the most entitled little bitches this planet ever produced.

50% representation of men and women in a military has never been what really happens? We are in a society where women couldn't be in any military role 100 years ago and yet make up 25% in the US military (all voluntary) and higher in other countries where at least some national service is mandatory. If this game was set in 1923 you would have a point, but it's hundreds of years in the future.

Constellation has 8 members (9 if you count the retired former leader who comes to the ceremony). 3 of the 8 are white dudes including the businessman who bankrolls the whole deal and 1 of the four romance companions.

Want to romance an Asian person? Too fucking bad, in the future it seems that people of Asian descent no longer exist despite making up more than 50% of the current global population.

Literally the only people who are seeing 'white men don't exist' are the whiny little snowflake bitches like Asmongold. Hell if anything there are far far more 'white' people in Starfield than would be expected after several centuries of genetic diversity.

Stop being a bitch with a martyr complex about how life is unfair because you don't automatically get everything you ever wanted handed to you and start living in the real world.

Lol start living in the real world. Ok.

Their future where all the military is female is a fucking fantasy. Any civilization that continually puts their women in danger will cease to exist. Pure fucking fantasy.

• 11Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 11 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Or it's a singular sign that white men are the most entitled little bitches this planet ever produced.

50% representation of men and women in a military has never been what really happens? We are in a society where women couldn't be in any military role 100 years ago and yet make up 25% in the US military (all voluntary) and higher in other countries where at least some national service is mandatory. If this game was set in 1923 you would have a point, but it's hundreds of years in the future.

Constellation has 8 members (9 if you count the retired former leader who comes to the ceremony). 3 of the 8 are white dudes including the businessman who bankrolls the whole deal and 1 of the four romance companions.

Want to romance an Asian person? Too fucking bad, in the future it seems that people of Asian descent no longer exist despite making up more than 50% of the current global population.

Literally the only people who are seeing 'white men don't exist' are the whiny little snowflake bitches like Asmongold. Hell if anything there are far far more 'white' people in Starfield than would be expected after several centuries of genetic diversity.

Stop being a bitch with a martyr complex about how life is unfair because you don't automatically get everything you ever wanted handed to you and start living in the real world.

ea3951a9a63dfba81d745f66c074886db61c5dc2de1ce2844b5e3fa376048f38_1.jpg

• 7Like
  • 3Worf
Reactions: 9 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Looks like it, yeah. There are three separate mod versions. The frame generation/DLSS-G one is the one most suited for the RTX 4000s, the others run XeSS for Intel cards or DLSS 2.0 for older Nvidia cards.

View attachment 489682
Don't worry guys, the developers went into this knowing their game was half-assed, but the modders will fix it all.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I played the first 35 minutes or so and wasn't feeling it (granted, got some RL stuff that's knockin' around in my head so that had an effect), and refunded. I'll likely approach it again at some point in the future, but that opening was just a huge bunch of meh.

I think they should have opened up ON a starship, possibly in the midst of an awesome discovery. The opening scene being you in a cockpit chair looking out the viewport at some wonder would have been pretty great, would definitely have hooked me.

Instead, I was blasting beryllium and passing out from touching something. Oh and my boss was a chick, as fucking usual. There was something about her ordering around all the men who were mining that really bothered me.
I've done a handful of entry quests for the factions and they're all higher production value than the entry main quest. It's crazy.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Its interesting to me that they added various layers of complexity to this game in terms of research and crafting. As since Skyrim all of that has been streamlined for ease of use.

The hardcore survival mod that makes surviving in space more interesting, complex, and difficult is going to be so good. I loved the Skyrim and Fallout variants of it.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I've done a handful of entry quests for the factions and they're all higher production value than the entry main quest. It's crazy.
Is this a sign that they have some self-awareness about their strong suit?

Fallout 3 storyline was garbage.
Skyrim storyline was yawn.

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
FWIW, while Skyrim's MSQ was yawn, it felt like a definite step up from FO3 (although probably mostly because of Paarthurnax and Brodahviing.)

As for factions, I loved the Civil War quest series.
  • Ulfric was a great character (simultaneously a guy who wants to be decisive but has massive personal doubts about his own competence; a guy who talks a good game about Skyrim being "for the Nords" yet is secretly friends with at least one of the Windhelm Argonians, etc.)
  • Some legitimately interesting questions about whether it's better to try to keep a failing Empire on life support versus making a clean break and trying something new (questions with interesting parallels to the present)

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
FWIW, while Skyrim's MSQ was yawn, it felt like a definite step up from FO3 (although probably mostly because of Paarthurnax and Brodahviing.)

As for factions, I loved the Civil War quest series.
  • Ulfric was a great character (simultaneously a guy who wants to be decisive but has massive personal doubts about his own competence; a guy who talks a good game about Skyrim being "for the Nords" yet is secretly friends with at least one of the Windhelm Argonians, etc.)
  • Some legitimately interesting questions about whether it's better to try to keep a failing Empire on life support versus making a clean break and trying something new (questions with interesting parallels to the present)
Now I want to revisit skyrim after 12 years. I don't remember this really.

• 1Like

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I'm a retard that loves everything about flying spaceships in video games. Eve online, Homeworld, and the X- series are my favorite games. Should I buy this game, or should I buy it twice?

• 1Seriously?
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Hodjing
Reactions: 3 users

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
The DF guys made this point: Whereas Skyrim or Fallout were limited to a single Kingdom or type of terrain, this has a bunch of different environments. In no way can you classify this as "low effort" FFS: It's a Bethesda game, with all of benefits and limitations that come with their design language and methodology. They applied that methodology to a Sci-Fi Space setting, with updated graphics and a brand new IP. Its not as good as people inflated it to be, nor is it as bad as people are making it out to be with that kind of rhetoric.

They did a lot of generic stuff, that means it's good? Yikes. You sure that's the point you want to make?

The broader concern is one you elude to. These giant, corporate studios like Bethesda, EA and Blizzard have been living on early successes they haven't been able to replicate in a long time. They haven't evolved or improved. They just keep shitting out the same basic game design, in some cases using the same outdated game engines, and expect the same praise and congratulations.

This game feels instantly like it's a decade old, because it basically is. And they did little to modernize gameplay or game systems.

And why would they? They'll sell enough to low information consumers to justify their half assed effort. The good games that brought them mainstream success are now being copy/pasted a decade later to the mainstream. Maybe it's good business, but don't argue it's good gaming or good for the gaming industry.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users