Starfield - Fallout fallout that isn't ES6

Otto

I'm having trouble staying interested in the game. I don't hate it but I can only play in one hour chunks or so before I start thinking of yard work or something else to do. I've never had this issue with any Bethesda game since Arena. They always hooked me.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm having trouble staying interested in the game. I don't hate it but I can only play in one hour chunks or so before I start thinking of yard work or something else to do. I've never had this issue with any Bethesda game since Arena. They always hooked me.

If I end up doing multiple POI in a row, it gets very repetitive and boring.

If possible, I try to keep a longer side quest per play period. Or get into something like outpost building which I got lost in today for hours. Same with ship building. At least the ship building made fighting other ships a lot easier. Some of the systems on the right side of the star map seem to have a lot more space encounters.

Thankfully I still have the UC vanguard, the crimson fleet spy, the free star ranger quest lines still to go. And more MSQ(which I just do for the powers and supposedly it unlocks other quests).

Will be curious of there is any other longer side quests to do.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
The United Colony Vanguard intro mission is pretty good. The little history museum was well done with interesting art and displays, not taking too much time, but gave good context for the game. The flight simulator was fun and good practice. Swearing your oath in front of flags and stars. Even the voice acting for it was serviceable. It's almost as if they're capable of competent writing and decent gameplay in a cohesive vision, at least on a small scale.

In 8 hours I still don't think I've laughed or even smiled with the game, though (only at it). Its just got no soul, which is weird for a Bethesda offering. Maybe there just aren't enough good writers to supply demand from the entertainment industries? Or writers got pushed out of the studios in favor of more programming? At least Fallout games were often janky but made up for it with generally good writing.
Might want to play it a bit more. I'm at the game is truly massive, and yeah they're going to be some slower parts or goofy fetch quests, but if you interact with NPCs, you'll find some interesting little side stories and sometimes some pretty funny reactions. There's a feminist Debbie Downer in the bank on new Atlantis, and if you talk to her it's definitely written to be poking fun at that type of person.

I just started the infiltrate The crimson fleet quest, and Reddit terminal within the UC ship, and it was just a text email on the commanders computer, but it fills in the idea of why he's singularly focused on the mission. The game will fire you to have to go out of your way to explore the world, and if you do that you'll be rewarded.

I find that I start going out at doing a mission, and then suddenly I'm a few systems away engrossed in something else. There's just so much stuff to do, and it's kind of overwhelming, but I'm having a blast. Haven't run into any bugs whatsoever, but that might be an issue later in the game who knows. Haven't seen any of the weird glitching NPCs anywhere either. I know a lot of people had that problem in cyberpunk, and I never experienced that, so I guess maybe your mileage might vary.

I agree that the game kind of starts off a little slow but once you get your bearings and just start exploring and focusing on different quest lines, it really starts to open up. It's a perfect absolutely not, but I think it's one of their best showings so far, and with more DLC and mod support it'll be one of those games that I can go back to over the years. It's nice to know that I don't think I've even scratched the surface though, and that there's hours upon hours of content still out there.

Biggest gripe is the UI, but I've kind of gotten used to it. I think part of that is stupid console porting, but they've never been known for elegant uis to begin with.

I'd give it a bit more time, but who knows maybe it's just not for you. I'm having a very hard time putting it down. After remnant, bg3, and now this I haven't had this much fun with video games in a long time. They're all drastically different games, but I've been enjoying all of them, and I have three of those in a year span at least for me is pretty rare.

Sorry talk to text...

• 1WTF

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Not sure this game is fun...the inventory management alone is a bummer. Going to try a no weight mod and hope it improves.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
So I ran through NG+ MSQ again to see if there were notable changes and sadly none of it makes it worth chaining repeatedly. A HUGE L imo that so little was done with it considering the penalties.

So I took my save and console commanded to make it so my game completed MSQ 10 times.

You get a pretty sweet spacesuit (same as the other NG+ but this is the final version) with randomized stats and an upgraded version of the NG+ ship for your fresh start.

1694307696228.png

Still need to do a couple of the big side quests and will probably explore a bit more, but will call it a wrap until some major mods come out.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
It’s official I have no life, 102 hours. I took a week off for this and well it was worth it. Seriously don’t remember last time I played this much.

The game has some issues but it just pushes a lot of my buttons. In my old age, I find I enjoy games that are relaxed. NMS (around 400 hours), Death Stranding (3 playthrough), So i totally enjoy going to a planet running around and scanning stuff while doing POI once in a while.

I switch it up with questing, or doing mission boards.

i haven’t started on outpost. I did buy a pretty good ship and tweaked it so it has a nice mix of cargo, firepower and long jump distance.

Today I focused on crafting a bit. Got my Research skill to Rank 4 and my Weapon skill to rank 4 also. I need 1 point on Special Project to be able to make all the weapon mods. I also need 2 more points somewhere else in that tree for the Special Project, most likely will doing Armor crafting to get there.

I’m level 42 now but it’s all going to slow down though as I am back to work on Monday.

• 1Like

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
It's like you live in bizarro world.

Bethesda, at least of this genre, have always been janky as shit with weak combat and questionable design decisions. Fallout 3 and 4 managed to keep enough of the quirk and humor of the IP and the big three Elder Scrolls games had interesting and engaging writing and production even if the direct storylines weren't great at all times.

The saving grace that made the jankiness worth it was the games generally had good writing and a lot of character and soul, for lack of more objection terms.

Starfield so far is all the jank and very little of the interesting world or good writing. It's soulless. The few attempts at jokes so far have been so obvious and groan worthy even a dialog response was to tell the NPC you're groaning at his attempted joke.

It's just a flat, soulless game that feels nothing like the best of Bethesda in this genre. It's like the game was made by AI that was too obviously programmed but the humourless blue hairs that infest the industry.

But now suddenly to defend this abomination the argument is going to be that the best of Bethesda rpg worlds isn't the writing that helped make them quirky and interesting and have soul? Or are you just limited enough you think writing is only the literal words of the main story so that's the windmill you're going to throw a strawman against.

If you have a substantive point to make on the subject I'd love to hear it.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
So far I've crashed like every other time I use a menu on this game, including saving/loading/starting the game. I tried reinstalling, updating windows, updating my drivers, moving the game to diff SSDs on my PC. Nothing fixes it.

I'm using a 4090, i7 13700k CPU, etc etc.

• 1Solidarity

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
So far I've crashed like every other time I use a menu on this game, including saving/loading/starting the game. I tried reinstalling, updating windows, updating my drivers, moving the game to diff SSDs on my PC. Nothing fixes it.

Sounds like you might be bad at computers.

• 1Like

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>

Running any overlay software?

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So I ran through NG+ MSQ again to see if there were notable changes and sadly none of it makes it worth chaining repeatedly. A HUGE L imo that so little was done with it considering the penalties.

So I took my save and console commanded to make it so my game completed MSQ 10 times.

You get a pretty sweet spacesuit (same as the other NG+ but this is the final version) with randomized stats and an upgraded version of the NG+ ship for your fresh start.

View attachment 490027

Still need to do a couple of the big side quests and will probably explore a bit more, but will call it a wrap until some major mods come out.

Damn the defenses on that thing. And I thought the mantis suit was crazy.

I wont see NG+ at all, unless I do what you did with cxonsole commands. I just cannot play these types of games on back to back play through.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Actually no, one more thing, the infiltrate crimson quest line is the best quest line Bethesda ever made

• 1Like

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Sure would be nice if they could find a way to fix npcs being places they shouldnt.

1694311950774.png

Frank initially started off only barely into the counter. By the time I was leaving his shop he was almost all the way through it.

7.jpg

6.jpg

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler

I wont see NG+ at all, unless I do what you did with cxonsole commands. I just cannot play these types of games on back to back play through.
It's a single item. You can't equip others so it's actually objectively worse than something like the Mantis suit (which you can easily save scum for good rolls). It also doesn't allow mods, iirc. Likewise the ship can't be modded.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider

It's faster on the subsequent play through since you can skip a big chunk (plus the game knowledge), but anyone who does the full 10 times or more (if there is actually rewards that haven't been found) is smoking the rock. Really wish they would have made it more meaningful.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Sure would be nice if they could find a way to fix npcs being places they shouldnt.

Frank initially started off only barely into the counter. By the time I was leaving his shop he was almost all the way through it.

I've not run into a single NPC bug in the entirety of my ~50 hours or really bugs at all though ofc I know it exists from vids/ss. Crazy how much disparity there is from system to system.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users