Starfield - Fallout fallout that isn't ES6

Zaide

TLP Idealist
Finally got the crashing shit resolved. First thing I noticed once I could really play is that ever NPC that has a name is unkillable. What the fuck.

• 1Worf
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 users

Cybsled

That has been normal since Fallout 4 for the most part - any NPC that is tagged as essential can't be killed. Usually it is most companions and certain quest or game function required NPCs.

The companion part is fine - I lost count of the number of times I had to reload in Fallout 3 because I had a companion die due to bugs or shitty pathing.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Unkillable npcs is to hide the fact that npcs spontaneously combust sometimes.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Jonesing
Reactions: 3 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Which game is that from? Did they ever show / tell you what the megastructures were?

Even if not, it's pretty crazy how many interesting lore-only worlds there were in ME1 and 2. Just an incredible couple of games with a lot of imagination.

I feel like imagination is lacking in a lot of newer games to say the least, like Starfield here. In a post-Elden Ring world, Fromsoft has basically dunked on every other developer that coasts on low-effort success-riding.

In any case... Better space exploring game: Starfield or the current version of No Man's Sky?
Today is NMS, tomorrow is modded Starfield. Personally i played NMS recently and the game was too focused on space exploration to hook me. Starfield has space exploration and a handful of other gameplay modes to hook me. Diversity is strength.

Those previous descriptions were from mass effect 1. Starfields lore (where humans have only been exploring space for a few hundred years and there are zero other intelligent lifeforms or ruins) doesn't really support the same depth of ruins that masseffect does, but it'd be nice if each planet had some flavor text that matched its generation. That's like, item number 97 on the priority list though, lol.

Last edited:
  • 1Potato
Reactions: 1 user

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Hmm do they send C&Ds for stuff like that? I can see disney doing it.
Prolly, I was on a Star Wars multiplayer text game in the 90s and Lucas film sent us a C&D lol. We just completely ignored them cause get fucked.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
After delving into the outposts more, I am a bit disappointed. It really is much more focused on extraction/production than settlement. I wanted more of a colonial feel them corporate mining, tbh. There's also quite a bit less freedom in building your outpost then FO4 had. Being stuck with existing structures instead of building walls and roofs as you see fit is a regression in my mind.

• 2Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah I kinda enjoyed Fo4 and the building thing. I had shit built up at every remote outpost in Fo4, including defense and all. It was pretty fun setting all that shit up. Have not delved into this at all here yet, only at like 40 hrs or so. THe thing that made it sort of cool in Fo4 is they would get randomly attacked from time to time, so there was a purpose to it. I mean its not like you really NEEDED a place to stay at, since you were constantly moving around and shit while playing.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah I kinda enjoyed Fo4 and the building thing. I had shit built up at every remote outpost in Fo4, including defense and all. It was pretty fun setting all that shit up. Have not delved into this at all here yet, only at like 40 hrs or so. THe thing that made it sort of cool in Fo4 is they would get randomly attacked from time to time, so there was a purpose to it. I mean its not like you really NEEDED a place to stay at, since you were constantly moving around and shit while playing.

I haven't had it happen to mine(which I only built yesterday), but I thought I read that your outpost can be attacked in this game also? Is that not the case?

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I haven't had it happen to mine(which I only built yesterday), but I thought I read that your outpost can be attacked in this game also? Is that not the case?
They can be attacked but I think it only happens if you show up. Not 100% on that, though.

Cybsled

After delving into the outposts more, I am a bit disappointed. It really is much more focused on extraction/production than settlement. I wanted more of a colonial feel them corporate mining, tbh. There's also quite a bit less freedom in building your outpost then FO4 had. Being stuck with existing structures instead of building walls and roofs as you see fit is a regression in my mind.

In terms of the structures themselves, ya. Like why can't I add windows to the solid hab structures? My options are either full windows or no windows at all.

I do hope they add more options in a future DLC. And if their reasonings are "realism" as to why they dont allow more free form building, I ran across 2 NPCs sitting around a campfire on a planet with no O2 in the atmosphere and was walking around on Mercury when a thunderstorm happened, so I think they need to get that in order before they can pull any realism card lol

• 5Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 5 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
In terms of the structures themselves, ya. Like why can't I add windows to the solid hab structures? My options are either full windows or no windows at all.

I do hope they add more options in a future DLC. And if their reasonings are "realism" as to why they dont allow more free form building, I ran across 2 NPCs sitting around a campfire on a planet with no O2 in the atmosphere and was walking around on Mercury when a thunderstorm happened, so I think they need to get that in order before they can pull any realism card lol
I doubt realism has been a huge driver for any decisions made about inclusion of content in starfield in the last year.

All across the internet there are thousands of people talking about the key missing features of starfield, and their lists are unique.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I wish this game was like spore where you could get other players ship creations showing up in your game.

• 4Mother of God
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Any further concrete word on moving saves between gamepass and steam? I'd like to fuck around with it a little on gamepass because I do feel like I'd be in the midly negative crowd towards the game, and not ready to buy in fully.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
So if you want a nice performance boost with next to no drop in fidelity turn shadows down to high from ultra. All high to ultra does is make shadows slightly less blurry and more sharp, at the cost of 10-15% frames even on a 4080.

High 74fps;

59.jpg

Ultra 58fps;

54.jpg

All the other lighting options seemed to have very minimal impact or none at all for me. But Shadows on high keeps the fps above 60 most of the time which really makes the game less annoying to play.

• 2Like

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
So if you want a nice performance boost with next to no drop in fidelity turn shadows down to high from ultra. All high to ultra does is make shadows slightly less blurry and more sharp, at the cost of 10-15% frames even on a 4080.

High 74fps;

View attachment 490158

Ultra 58fps;

View attachment 490157

All the other lighting options seemed to have very minimal impact or none at all for me. But Shadows on high keeps the fps above 60 most of the time which really makes the game less annoying to play.
Ah the ole lower the shadows down. That and the "turn off the grass" are old goodies.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Ah the ole lower the shadows down. That and the "turn off the grass" are old goodies.
True, except in this case from what ive seen so far comparing screenshots around New Atlantis the difference is pretty negligible but the fps impact is huge.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users