Starfield - Fallout fallout that isn't ES6

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
The boarding the ships things felt like one of those features that's fun the first time and then you dread having to do it every subsequent time because it just takes too damn long.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
IDK man, I've enjoyed every bethesda game more or less. Even with the warts they have the mods make them great over time. So if there's tons of quests, characters, things to explore and discover, etc then it will be par the course for a Bethesda game and even on launch probably a solid 100 hours of gametime. With another 100+ two years later.

I need to get around to playing a modded skyrim someday.

• 2Like

Caliane

outpost system.

can see in the UI.
"build limit". no number, but just a visual bar it seems.

cargo, crew, needed power, total power production /min.

"assign crew and companions to work in them." I wonder how much automation this is. proper colony building, or just another game with "crew" being a stat, or item, not actually "living" crew, with needs. don't really see these crew walking around, or interacting with anything in the video.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

outpost system.

can see in the UI.
"build limit". no number, but just a visual bar it seems.

cargo, crew, needed power, total power production /min.

"assign crew and companions to work in them." I wonder how much automation this is. proper colony building, or just another game with "crew" being a stat, or item, not actually "living" crew, with needs. don't really see these crew walking around, or interacting with anything in the video.

I presume it is like Fallout4. The build limit in FO4 was based on polygons/complexity, but you could fool the game by dropping weapons and then storing them in the storage chest, which made the game think you removed a structure and boosted the build limit. The FO4 pic I posted a few pages back I used that trick to get the base so large

There was also a mod that removed the build cap, so expect to see that

As for settlers, it might be like FO4 were you assigned people to camps and trade routes, although I suspect this will be more advanced and you can get things like resource production bonuses or whatever

Caliane

I was going to make a post on how a lack of "magic" was going to effect sales.

Will have to re-review the videos on combat etc. try to nail down what exactly is available. Biotics, tk, psychic powers. even hacking, drones, "summons", other tech based magic. I dont think we saw drones in the wild right? just in home base? Even fallout goofy guns, and weapons that might as well be magic.

end teaser of course showed biotic/tk. so I suppose there is straight up magic.

Caliane

Heres that IGN interview. this is cohh watching, the interview and reacting.. didn't see the original source after a quick look.

Its where the 30fps locked comment is from.

There's a few other interesting topics though. The guy askes about NMS and mass effect comparisons as one point. (scrub never played empyrion.) Todd actually compares it more to RDR2. Talks about immersion, etc. Which would be what I expected. Earlier he said it as well, "the kind of game you expect from us, in space" Todd's games are closer to immersive sims, then many other rpgs. no one would accuse NMS of being an immersive sim. That heritage has always been a part of TES games though.
When Todd talks about "the menu", or mentioning being able to pick up random items, and having them be fully 3d modeled, thats what hes talking about.

"aprox 1km proc gen tiles, wrapped around the planet" then, goes on to say, more premade content then any game prior, perhaps more then skyrim/fo4 combined.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
Btw, for extra lulz, check out the Star Citizen reddit. The salt is starting to flow

I can just imagine some modders making Squadron 41 in Starfield and releasing it before SQ42. That would be amazing and hilarious.

• 1Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
IDK man, I've enjoyed every bethesda game more or less. Even with the warts they have the mods make them great over time. So if there's tons of quests, characters, things to explore and discover, etc then it will be par the course for a Bethesda game and even on launch probably a solid 100 hours of gametime. With another 100+ two years later.

I need to get around to playing a modded skyrim someday.
I just hate the "scatter gun" approach that Bethesda games have. "Let's dump 100 billion quests and POIs into the world". I mean, I guess that's fun...for a while? After about the hour 15-20 mark I always end up doing the same thing with Bethesda games, "All this shit is basically the same shit on repeat, isn't it?" and never really play again.

Did it with Oblivion, FO3, Skyrim, and FO76. I actually lasted longest with FO76 because the multiplayer aspect at least makes all the building, exploration, etc. fun with friends. Single player though? Booorrrrrrring.

Also, let's not forget that they're roughly the origin point for paid cosmetics/DLC in gaming.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I was never the type to go through every single thing on a map like a total autist. Even Fallout 4, which I liked the least, had lots of great storylines and characters. Additionally it also had really nice gems hidden throughout the game.

These games are way way better if you go in totally blind though.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
lol @ anyone who is mad at Bethesda copying games to make No Man's Skyrim. If any dev outfit has the standing to copy good open world game implementations it's Bethesda.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
GMG has the game for 20% off, standard or premium ($55 or $70) and you get a steam key, must login with a GMG account to see the discount

premium gets you 5 days early access and the first story dlc or something. The game is on gamepass so seems kinda dumb to preorder something of unknown quality when you could just try it out on gamepass for free (tons of free 2 week gamepass trial codes around you can activate around launch time) but maybe if you wanna play on a steam deck or something

Oldbased

> Than U

Cybsled

Microsoft probably pushed for a cleaner release in terms of the normal Bethesda bugs - they invested a lot in acquiring Bethesda, so now they want that ROI lol

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
The modding aspect is what makes me look forward to Besthesda games these days and Starfield will be no different. It'll be fascinating to see what modders can come up with with that type of worldspace. Also some of the side stories in their games are really good, almost eclipsing the main quest. Personally the next game I wanting is ES6 but I'm still picking this up (not sure day 1 though).

• 4Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
On one hand it is Bethesda on the other it was supposed to be released last November initially so they got some polish time for sure.

They delayed it because space flight was awful and had to be overhauled. Clunky, not fun, probably doesn’t help consoles are locked at 30. I cannot imagine any of this is passable yet.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
They delayed it because space flight was awful and had to be overhauled.
Good. Space flight is one of the gameplay modalities that's ripe for a huge RPG. Getting it right is worth it and harder than shooting / melee / mage mechanics that have a ton of games to draw from for design (including fallout/ES games...) but are in an extremely crowded space.

I grew up playing games like XWing, but now whenever I play space combat sims they have trouble holding my interest. I don't know if that's because they haven't evolved far enough to be fresh, because I've gotten older or because they weren't fun in the first place.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Good. Space flight is one of the gameplay modalities that's ripe for a huge RPG. Getting it right is worth it and harder than shooting / melee / mage mechanics that have a ton of games to draw from for design (including fallout/ES games...) but are in an extremely crowded space.

I grew up playing games like XWing, but now whenever I play space combat sims they have trouble holding my interest. I don't know if that's because they haven't evolved far enough to be fresh, because I've gotten older or because they weren't fun in the first place.

I would say they aren't deep enough. Games like Privateer and Privateer 2, Xwing, Tie Fighter, X-Wing alliance, had either great story elements, fantastic piracy options and almost trade wars styles to them, or both. Seems the past 20 years past Freelancer they have just become arcade style 60 FPS shoot fests without any depth.

Thing is, for me anyway, it needs everything. Elite Dangerous + fantastic flying/combat + Story. From the looks of it, it seems they may have dug themselves out of a rut with some options. You have resource gathering, ship customization, boarding ships to kill the people inside and take the ship over (That's pretty awesome) and obviously a story and piracy options - however, 30 FPS. I think they could firmly knock it out of the park if they would have segmented engine traversal to a Z Axis space sim in which detail could still be there but obviously not the same background streaming it requires on planets to optimize for 60 FPS. Either way though from the looks of it at this point they did a lot of work.

• 4Like