Starfield - Fallout fallout that isn't ES6

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Am I the only one that wants a modern graphics version of Wing Commander??

I literally bought a flight/joystick for my PC for those games. And then another one when I broke that one from trying to steer too hard. That was some of the most non-RPG fun I've ever had in a game, and not a single space combat game has made me feel anywhere close to that ever since. I don't care one bit that it wasn't realistic space combat, realistic space combat fucking sucks.

Hell, I'd even go watch another shitty WC movie if it got them to make a new game. I actually took a date to the first one, hah! Yes, it went as badly as you'd think.

I would kill for modern updates to wing commander and the xwing/tie games. Zero gameplay change, graphics only.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

MightyMadman

Lord Nagafen Raider
IDK man, I've enjoyed every bethesda game more or less. Even with the warts they have the mods make them great over time. So if there's tons of quests, characters, things to explore and discover, etc then it will be par the course for a Bethesda game and even on launch probably a solid 100 hours of gametime. With another 100+ two years later.

I need to get around to playing a modded skyrim someday.
Right, a Bethesda RPG in space but with Xbox money and a variety of gameplay options. My only issues is the planet count, I don’t like artificial questlines like FO4, that seems like a way to do that in this game. Plus, we don’t know how that going to make the game work bug wise

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
The ship building is kinda lame, but I expected the snap together piece way. They have alot of environ artists trained on that as they've built maps snap-together style since morrowind. I do love building mine block by block in Empyrion.

However the insides will look way nicer because an artist will be able to go nuts with detail. Empyrion limits you to meter sized blocks for cap ships so there's alot of empty and wasted space.

Here's the biggest Empyrion ship I've built. Can see me standing under the front for scale.

20230327175944_1.jpg

Caliane

Right, a Bethesda RPG in space but with Xbox money and a variety of gameplay options. My only issues is the planet count, I don’t like artificial questlines like FO4, that seems like a way to do that in this game. Plus, we don’t know how that going to make the game work bug wise
Captain, another planet needs our help!

• 4Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
I see all those planets as free space for quest/environment mods without having to worry about conflicting with other mods. Skyrim can get really small when you're running hundreds of mods.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Talos

Silver Baronet of the Realm
How long after release do you all think it will take for someone to upload a mod that lets you have sex with alien wildlife?

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
While true that space is 99.99999% nothing, I do say that I prefer the way most space sims/games handle space in a more compact way for the simple reason of compactness of gameplay. It's the reason why cities in most RPGs are at most a few dozen houses (at least houses that you can enter or interact with). Daggerfall was VAST, but most of it was pointless. Even in the cities there, you only wanted to know the location of a few houses in each. Same is true with space. You need to condense it for the sake of gameplay. The only real case where I can see a solar system plotted near to reality is a game that only takes place within one solar system.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Yeah for space games I think the scale makes it work better. Otherwise you have a "science fantasy" kind of thing going on where other planets and stuff are just other kingdoms in high fantasy for all intents and purposes.

revvy

Trakanon Raider
I would kill for modern updates to wing commander and the xwing/tie games. Zero gameplay change, graphics only.
You might enjoy this if you've not already seen it before:

It tries to keep the gameplay as close as possible but it's in the XW:Alliance engine so they can only do so much.

• 2Like

Caliane

While true that space is 99.99999% nothing, I do say that I prefer the way most space sims/games handle space in a more compact way for the simple reason of compactness of gameplay. It's the reason why cities in most RPGs are at most a few dozen houses (at least houses that you can enter or interact with). Daggerfall was VAST, but most of it was pointless. Even in the cities there, you only wanted to know the location of a few houses in each. Same is true with space. You need to condense it for the sake of gameplay. The only real case where I can see a solar system plotted near to reality is a game that only takes place within one solar system.
you have to be careful though. there is the "immersion" factor as well. Space is big, and lonely. if you compact it too much, too carelessly, it stops being space.

starsector again. core worlds are busy with traffic. get outside the core worlds and theres little traffic. rarely do you see an explorer or miner. mostly.. unexplained phenomena. starsector helps set the mood with fuel and supply usage. every deep space trip needs to be planned so you have enough of both to get to your destination.. and get back. and its done in real time, not just a check before you activate your jump drives and teleport.
Even then, starsector compacts a bit too much. you never really get that full on isolation feeling.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

velk

Trakanon Raider
you have to be careful though. there is the "immersion" factor as well. Space is big, and lonely. if you compact it too much, too carelessly, it stops being space.

starsector again. core worlds are busy with traffic. get outside the core worlds and theres little traffic. rarely do you see an explorer or miner. mostly.. unexplained phenomena. starsector helps set the mood with fuel and supply usage. every deep space trip needs to be planned so you have enough of both to get to your destination.. and get back. and its done in real time, not just a check before you activate your jump drives and teleport.
Even then, starsector compacts a bit too much. you never really get that full on isolation feeling.

True, but it's still a bit of a balance - the other end of the scale you have elite style multi-week flights. That works for some people, but definitely not for everyone.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The modding aspect is what makes me look forward to Besthesda games these days and Starfield will be no different. It'll be fascinating to see what modders can come up with with that type of worldspace. Also some of the side stories in their games are really good, almost eclipsing the main quest. Personally the next game I wanting is ES6 but I'm still picking this up (not sure day 1 though).
Just give me sexy alien nymphomaniacs and I'll be ok with the mods.

• 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>

Lol

Bethesda and Gamebryo (We can call it that because that is exactly what it still is regardless of name) regardless of bolt on marketing spun systems, is a train wreck of epic proportions.

I liked what I saw in the gameplay trailer, and it's on Gamepass (I would get it anyway) but these idiots damn near had to cancel space all together because of it.

• 6Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 7 users

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>

Lol

Bethesda and Gamebryo (We can call it that because that is exactly what it still is regardless of name) regardless of bolt on marketing spun systems, is a train wreck of epic proportions.

I liked what I saw in the gameplay trailer, and it's on Gamepass (I would get it anyway) but these idiots damn near had to cancel space all together because of it.

I did notice the characters looked like they were from 15 years ago in that video. Surprisingly ugly and low detail for 2023.

• 1Like
  • 1Truth!

Fadaar

That guy
the day Bethesda finally moves to a new engine will be a great day for humanity

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Bethesda dev: "Shouldn't we invest more in making our graphics look nicer?"
Bethesda project lead: "Why waste money on that when the modders will do it for free lol?"

• 6Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 6 users

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Bethesda dev: "Shouldn't we invest more in making our graphics look nicer?"
Bethesda project lead: "Why waste money on that when the modders will do it for free lol?"
To be fair, that is Bethesda's solution to every facet of their games.

• 2Like

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Star Wars Squadrons wasn't good enough?

i mean, have you played chorus, everspace, star citizen? everspace is basically privateer.

you play house of the dying sun?
didnt play this one personally. I watched a stream. this has one of the best final missions of any game ever. not going to to spoil it. but haha. holy shit.
I'll be honest, I haven't played a Star Wars game since possibly Dark Forces. The prequels soured me on Star Wars, and then the more recent ones just killed any desire I ever had. I did play the original X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter and maybe one or two others around there, and while I remember enjoying them, my memory puts them as being not on the same level of fun as Wing Commander in terms of the actual dogfighting. My memory could be faulty however.

I have not played Chorus, pretty sure I've played Everspace and it didn't do anything for me, but I could totally be thinking of a different game and talking out of my ass. Star Citizen...you mean it has actual good space combat? I did pledge the basic tier however many decades ago that was, and I did load up the demo a few times over the years, but I honestly don't know if I ever even got into a fucking ship, it was so confusing. Maybe I'll check it out again, since I already have it, but are you sure it has good combat??

House of the Dying Sun does look pretty good, I'll give you that. It might be what I'm looking for, although it is a little difficult to tell from that cut up trailer, but I'll check into it further. This will sound stupid I'm sure, but it almost looks too clean though. Not saying I want shitty 80s/90s graphics, but you know what I mean. Everything looks sterile and perfect. Maybe I'm just not seeing enough of the game.

Since I haven't really played any of these games, which ones are just jumping into various ships and blowing shit up like WC? I don't want to build ships, I don't want to manage bases, I don't want to establish trade routes and explore new worlds. I want to have a hottie like Angel tell me she needs me to defend the ship against some giant cats at all costs, or go blow them the fuck up, with my good buddy Maniac, now get my ass in a ship! That's it. I have a feeling that Star Wars Squadrons is probably like that, but I've never even looked at it so I'm just guessing.