Starfield - Fallout fallout that isn't ES6

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Was there anyone who seriously wasn't expecting skyrim in space ? That's not a bash in any way, skyrim was great fun, it's what they do, and it was wildly successful - why would you expect anything different ?
I was expecting some kind of innovation from twenty years of developing the same game, yes.

Like I said, why can No Man's Sky do seamless procedural generated worlds that you can fly around seven years ago, but then with this you get planets that are basically a handful of segregated zones with about three dozen tilesets?

This game would've been okay if it came out a decade ago. In 2023, it feels lazy. Like, they basically took their same engine and just reskinned it for space and said "this took a decade of development, give us $70."

Last edited:
  • 3Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 3 users

Caliane

Was an easy pass for me. Maybe when the hype dies down you can get a fair review on it.

But right now-- the fact is the review embargo was held until the last minute. Even D4 lifted the embargo 2 full days prior.

This should have been a major red flag for anyone paying attention.

Very restrictive review embargos never end well. You could see this pile of shit a mile away.
last minute? the game doesn't official release for another 5 days.

faille

Molten Core Raider
I'd forgotten how shit Bethesda can be at QOL stuff. So many things are just so much more annoying and obtuse to be than they should be.

Does anyone know if there's any way to disable pause on loss of window focus? That ones really starting to shit me

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
I can see why some would be disappointed that it doesn't have the NMS seamlessness and that's probably going to be the biggest dividing line when it comes to how people look at this initially. I saw one review that said that the space travel is more in line with Mass Effect 1 than NMS and looking at it from that perspective it makes sense in a way. My guess is you just get used to the fast travel after awhile (like Mass Effect).

Qhue

Trump's Staff
It seems clear you can choose to completely ignore the main plot if you want, so that is as per Bethesda tradition at least.

I'm currently just crafting tons of components to craft other things to increase my manufacturing capability that lets me craft different stuff that are needed for different components...

Also -- could someone send Bethesda a UX designer?!? I'm on New Atlantis and trying to just pull up a map of the city was like pulling teeth.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Fucking robot gets in the way and steals my kills.

Other than that, liking the game so far.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
About 3 hours in, am enjoying the game. I need a new PC. FUCK

• 1Worf
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Is this supposed to be CPU heavy instead of GPU?

My hardware monitor showed it capping my 7800x3d on all cores at spikes(shown as max). While GPU was fine. Wish I would of checked while it was running, I looked afterwards.

I had almost everything to medium. I did turn fsr off and was using native 1440p.

Don't see a point in downloading new driver, since it only mentions 7900 cards.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>

My hardware monitor showed it capping my 7800x3d on all cores at spikes(shown as max). While GPU was fine. Wish I would of checked while it was running, I looked afterwards.

I had almost everything to medium. I did turn fsr off and was using native 1440p.

Yep. Gamebryo. :) I mean “creation engine 2.99272”

• 2Worf
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

I popped up some performance monitoring to see if I couldn't just upgrade my GPU. Nope. CPU is getting rekt.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Xerge

<Donor>
Runs like a bag of trash tbh 7800x3d/6700xt/32g ddr5 @1440p. Had to settle on render scale around 70%

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Runs like a bag of trash tbh 7800x3d/6700xt/32g ddr5 @1440p. Had to settle on render scale around 70%
6700XT is a fairly old video card innit? I think it costs less than your CPU!

I'm actually looking at getting a 7800X3D CPU because it's popular for Factorio.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yep. Gamebryo. :) I mean “creation engine 2.99272”

They really do need a new one. You can tell this one is at its end stages. The world looks fine to me, but NPCs feel a bit off, especially when they are talking.
It sure is tradition to have a shitty inventory at House Bethesda.

And UI. Way too many steps for things. Menus into menus into menus.

Wierd. I am on a 7800x3d, 6800xt and 32gb ddr5. No issues with FPS or such so far and doing native 1440p. Turned that fsr and reder scaling off. I did also lower almost everything to medium(from high) and turned stupid crap like motion blur off.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
They really do need a new one. You can tell this one is at its end stages. The world looks fine to me, but NPCs feel a bit off, especially when they are talking.
For ES6 they should take another 5 years of development time and just switch to Unreal Engine 5, and work with Epic Games to turn whatever they make into an open-source Unreal plugin and their Creation Kit into an open-source Unreal Engine Editor plugin.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users