Starfield - Fallout fallout that isn't ES6

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
As much as some hate the fast travel. I fucking love it. Out exploring random shit and its either run all the way back to the ship or fast travel to it. Which will I pick? Hmm.

Or being able to fast travel back to places I have already been instead of doing all the steps to fly there.

Call me lazy, but I like the QoL. I still have to fly and use jump drive to get to places I haven't been though.

Also the fucking robot needs to be shrunk or take it off player collision. The damn fucker blocks me in or just gets in the way. I only have it along to carry extra junk.

Will be maxing weight increase asap.

I agree about the cities needing maps. At least to mark the shops, housing, NPC faction places etc. I want to buy about 60 digipicks.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Cybsled

Can you buy lockpicks anywhere in New Atlantis? I blew like 5 up before I knew how the fuck picking locks worked and now I can't find any.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Can you buy lockpicks anywhere in New Atlantis? I blew like 5 up before I knew how the fuck picking locks worked and now I can't find any.

I didn't find a shop with them. Maybe I missed it. Found the weapon one and plenty of food/clothing.

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Maybe if this game had a fucking map with shops noted on it lol

from the starfield reddit:

• 1Worf
  • 1Pathetic
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Is there any downsides to jacking people's ships? Some trader was out with her giant cow and I broke into her ship and flew it to New Atlantis. No trouble of any sort and it seems like all I have to do is register it if I want to mod it.

Also, is there a way to recall Vasco? I feel like usually he follows me but sometimes he just goes missing and I don't know how to get him back.

• 2Like

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I played another 8 hours or so today, so I am definitely enjoying the game so far….even though I said in my initial impression that it was disappointing. I’ll stress this point, it’s disappointing because it’s not what I expected, not because it’s bad. I really expected a No Man Sky meets Skyrim type of game. It’s not that, it’s Skyrim or name any Bethesda game with the appearance of a space game.

The space ”sim” part of Starfield is its weakest part by far, and to be honest almost inconsequential. Space for the most part is just a transition area between planets where sometimes a random encounter of sort occurs. You’re bound to the area where you are, you can’t fly from planet to planet. There’s zero space exploration, you get there…check if a random encounter occurs, check your map to travel to the next space area, or land on a planet. This part is hugely disappointing for me. I wanted more to do in space, and more actual flying from planet to planet similar to No Man Sky, or even Star Citizen.

Once over this disappointment though, the game is pretty good and enjoyable. It’s a good RPG, with interesting if unspectacular main story, some more interesting side quests. Fun planetary exploration so far, decent enough combat and progression system. Loot seems ok so far. I found myself running around New Atlantis doing quests, then going to a different planet to deliver something and picking a quest there, that lead me to a derelict ship, after that I explored a landing zone…I did that in about 3 play sessions during the day…and each time hours had had passed without me noticing. That’s generally a sign that I’m enjoying myself.

Game is not perfect, and it’s not going to be in my top 5, probably not even my top 10…but it is fun, and I expect to put at least 100+ hours in it, and possibly revisit it in a few years when it has more dlc, mods etc.

For now, I’m looking forward to tomorrow and playing it some more. Now that I know what it is…basically a rpg in space, and not in any a space game, I can enjoy it for that. As some people have said, it’s more Mass Effect than anything else really, and that‘a not necessary a bad thing.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

faille

Molten Core Raider
I was looking forward to being a range/ shooter type RPG instead of the predominately melee based one, like in skyrim, etc. So naturally I find a legendary melee weapon early on...

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I am curious if space opens up more later? Say you join the crimson fleet or such. Be weird to only have the space I encounter atm, which is basically what you listed(random chance at random encounter while flying around or a trigger for a mission). Jump drive to planets, and land , or travel to space station and dock etc. Especially as there is an entire perk line basically for ship upgrades and building also a trait just for space.

Would be cool if you could turn into a pirate and just fly around planet to planets, taking peoples ships/cargo and making your living that way. Be shocked if its there, but in one of the videos I watched, the person mentioned crimson fleet was one of the more fun/fleshed out factions you can join and its basically built around roaming space as a pirate. I know you can steal ships either from the ground or in space. Dunno if you just sell them after or maybe scrap them?

Probably a bit too much expectations for that. One can hope though.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>

just a side note: BG3 has more than double the players on steam right now

Invisible walls......IN SPAAAAAACE!

I'll certainly give this a look once the "demo" becomes available, but I don't see this taking me away from AC^ or BG3. I'll probably pick it up next year once modders have had time to fix a lot of shit.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I am curious if space opens up more later? Say you join the crimson fleet or such. Be weird to only have the space I encounter atm, which is basically what you listed(random chance at random encounter while flying around or a trigger for a mission). Jump drive to planets, and land , or travel to space station and dock etc. Especially as there is an entire perk line basically for ship upgrades and building also a trait just for space.

Would be cool if you could turn into a pirate and just fly around planet to planets, taking peoples ships/cargo and making your living that way. Be shocked if its there, but in one of the videos I watched, the person mentioned crimson fleet was one of the more fun/fleshed out factions you can join and its basically built around roaming space as a pirate. I know you can steal ships either from the ground or in space. Dunno if you just sell them after or maybe scrap them?

Probably a bit too much expectations for that. One can hope though.
You'd need at least $600M to pull that off!

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This made me laugh. Wonder if it goes as deep as this guy wants(hiring workers to make/ship it etc). Curious if you can keep levels up, money obviously isn't an issue if it works like I think. Just the fact that that is all this guy has has done is hilarious.

• 1Seriously?
  • 1Like

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
So folks talking about the first dozen hours effectively being a tutorial are scarily coming true. I finished with the Nova shipyards and it let me fast travel not just back to Jemison and New Atlantis but straight to the Constellation Lodge. OK? There is a sense of vastness about space that folks want to feel that will eventually need to be shortened but I understand feeling cheated if in the VERY beginning you don't allow them to feel that vastness, just like tying enemies' level to players' level robs one of that sense of power growth.

The lack of local maps when inside space stations/ships is maddening. I don't mind the repetition of floorplans; go in enough malls and skyscrapers and you will see that there are very few truly original ones; what is BS is no maps of anything, including 200 hundred year old shipyards.

Maybe its just me but the controls for the PC are super unclear, press and hold vs. tap on multiple keys for different functions; I couldn't figure why there was no way to back in vendor menus; hitting vs. holding was a skill a had to train in RL.

Sneak activating is hit of miss in the same vein.

When you have to disable the UC Patrol ship, Sarah what's-her-face tells you to disable to enemy ship by only shooting the engines. Normally you have to have the Targeting Control Systems skill to target individual ship systems so if you didn't take it seems like you are out of luck, right? WRONG. You just shoot the ship as you normal would and when it gets to 0 hit points, nothing happens. YOU DID IT. That is how you would do it if this wasn't an extended tutorial; any other time and that ship would a-splode/go boom. Remember, To board ships later in the game, you must take TCS and target engines. But for now ignore Sarah. NOWHERE DOES IT TELL YOU THAT. FUCK YOU SARAH AND BGS.

How many times will you need to overcome that information gap, the UI shortfalls, 10 ammo types that are only clear from looking at the gun for which you need you need ammo, no local maps etc.? Mass Effect was smart enough to not even have ammo in the first game, and added it back because players didn't like heat as a restriction in the 2nd and 3rd.

The light doesn't find its way to Sarah's teeth enough and makes her look like a 1960's British rock singer. People's teeth don't look like that.

They should send you back to the Lodge with Vasco and then fling open the doors and no more tutorial.

Last edited:
  • 1Worf
  • 1Like

Singh'sSpot

Blackwing Lair Raider
It's alternate multi universe bullshit, you meet your created character who has a voice explaining bullshit about being the "starborn"( fucking original) Me thinks Todd watched too much MCU movies and Rick and Morty, I was expecting Seal Team Rick to burst through any minute, Todd going like "well I guess multiverse is what the kiddies are into these days."

I was banking on abandoned alien civilization where any left over alien tech could be used by the main factions to kick start a devastating war

krismunich

<Silver Donator>
I am sure my complains will be super popular with the "muh multibillion dollar software company" crowd but

500 people working for 5 years and a 200 Mill budget got me this? Yes, higher res textures, some improvements over CE 1.0 but the UX the NPC AI, the facial animations and a lot of other things are insulting for a 2023 AAA game, really. And wow the story, I never collected parts of an artefact littered all over the galaxy before, really.

And who thought having to press sometimes "X" , other times "R", sometimes "E" to achieve the same function or better goal is great control design? Yes, I know modders will prolly save the day and I don't die adding configuration lines to an .ini file to get a better FOV and stuff, but come on.

I get and love Bethesda games but boy after 15 hours I am really disappointed. It's not bad and has it's sweet little moments but woah I feel let down.

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Talos

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I played a few hours but I have no desire to play anymore. Not because it's a horrible game, but simply because BG3 is much more fun. For me it's just a matter of bad release timing. I will probably come back to this after the BG3 high wears off.

• 2Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Maybe if this game had a fucking map with shops noted on it lol

from the starfield reddit:

Savescum is really lame. Rolling with the punches is how you RPG faggots.
Mob loot is spawned on death.

Me savescumming after finding out about this:

best-fails-best-fail-gifs.gif

after like 8 savescums on a level 16 pirate boss of some shithole. Cheating with style.

1693659127655.png

I doubt I'll keep doing it, but it's kinda fun to explore the loot pool in a new game.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I was looking forward to being a range/ shooter type RPG instead of the predominately melee based one, like in skyrim, etc. So naturally I find a legendary melee weapon early on...
From my recent savescumming experience I feel like melee loot is more likely to be tagged rare.

Cybsled

The worst is when I killed some pirate and they dropped a legendary, then before I had a chance to loot it, another pirate appeared and we traded and both died at sametime. When I reloaded, I assumed maybe it was a set drop. Nope, next time the same pirate just dropped trash

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user