Starfield - Fallout fallout that isn't ES6

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I loved BG3 but everything felt hyper focused on providing you the exact experience the designers wanted with a few very lovingly built paths for you to follow. It felt close to a choose your own adventure book, which is great.

Conversely, Starfield embraces the open galaxy gameplay and even with all the negative things said about it being true, I'm loving it way more than I did BG3.

• 3Like
  • 2Pathetic
  • 2Truth!
Reactions: 7 users

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I loved BG3 but everything felt hyper focused on providing you the exact experience the designers wanted with a few very lovingly built paths for you to follow. It felt close to a choose your own adventure book, which is great.

Conversely, Starfield embraces the open galaxy gameplay and even with all the negative things said about it being true, I'm loving it way more than I did BG3.
Same

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Well damn. I was going to my last resource to scan for 100% survey on mars. A ship landed 400m from me. So I went over and it was crimson fleet pirates, so I stole it. Have to launch though to "Claim the ship" and it adds to your fleet. Figured it was free money. Soon as I get to space, scanned and damn ship had contraband on it, got arrested(same ship that landed with no issue though). And into the be a mole for crimson fleet quest line.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Varrus

Trakanon Raider
There are definitely some Mass Effect vibes at times too, maybe its music, however I sure wish I had a Mako to screw around in on the planet surface. Also I've been in some crazy scrapes down there too with bugs, like Starship Trooper level stuff. Would have been nice to run the fkrs over with a vehicle.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
1693766006099.png

• 29Worf
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 29 users

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Well damn. I was going to my last resource to scan for 100% survey on mars. A ship landed 400m from me. So I went over and it was crimson fleet pirates, so I stole it. Have to launch though to "Claim the ship" and it adds to your fleet. Figured it was free money. Soon as I get to space, scanned and damn ship had contraband on it, got arrested(same ship that landed with no issue though). And into the be a mole for crimson fleet quest line.
I wish it was more clear where you're going to get scanned on entry. Just because it's UC space or whatever doesn't actually mean there's a checkpoint. Like Wolf, it's one hop from Alpha Centauri and the first place you can go to sell contraband and stolen goods, but it says UC on the star map so you might think you're going to get caught. Nope, you just fly in and head to The Den and you can sell off all your stuff before heading back to New Atlantis.

One of the most common perks on rare+ versions of that shotgun is double ammo capacity, which of course doesn't actually add two more barrels. Definitely a lot of sloppiness when it comes to the firearms in the game, just like in Fallout 4. You'd think they could hire a consultant who has actually handled a gun once in his life. If not for realism, then at least for a sanity check.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Anyone use the shotgun? Im a rifle man rn.

I'm rolling with the lawful good sarah or whatever. I've been on hard mode the entire game and she kind of trivializes everything. She's immortal and wastes anything she's actually hitting. The optimal strat is generally kiting mobs into her.

Kinda reminds me of summons in elden ring, I'm thinking about dropping her.

I also save scummed a ridiculous legendary lawgiver that one shots just about all the things. I'm thinking about dumping it and the other savescummed item i got just to bump up the difficulty a bit.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Is there a way to go from guns to unarmed in the middle of combat without going to inventory? I'm trying to go boxing but I want to whittle the number of enemies down before I go into melee range.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Another thing about companions I'm testing right now... they kill steal BADLY. At first I thought it was just if I didn't shoot at all, but after trying to just tap them and let Sarah do the work with infinite ammo on a high dps gun that doesn't seem to work either. Tested further and even if I do all but a sliver of damage to the enemy, it's still really inconsistent. Sometimes I get xp, sometimes I don't. Maybe she's doing a single big hit that outdamages me even though it's overkill?

I'm rolling with the lawful good sarah or whatever. I've been on hard mode the entire game and she kind of trivializes everything. She's immortal and wastes anything she's actually hitting. The optimal strat is generally kiting mobs into her.

Kinda reminds me of summons in elden ring, I'm thinking about dropping her.

I also save scummed a ridiculous legendary lawgiver that one shots just about all the things. I'm thinking about dumping it and the other savescummed item i got just to bump up the difficulty a bit.

Are you losing all the kill exp though if she does it all? Also does it still count for things like "kill x enemy with ballistic weapons" for the rank ups?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Are you losing all the kill exp though if she does it all? Also does it still count for things like "kill x enemy with ballistic weapons" for the rank ups?
I think I get the exp even if i dont participate in the combat, but don't get credit for the challenge. I didn't test it thoroughly so maybe vorph is right i dunno.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Starfield: square barrelling and counters that reset when murders happen.

• 6Worf
  • 2Like
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 8 users

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So I had a few days off after vacation last week, and went straight through the main story into NG+. Basically, if you like the Bethesda formula you'll have fun, if you don't, then you should probably skip it. I've started NG+ to do side quests, build outposts and do everything else in the game. I'll be playing this game for a while. BG3 is on the back burner, and FF16 is even further on the back burner.

• 3Like

Fadaar

That guy
Somewhere between Fallout 4 in space and Outer Worlds 1.5, with almost all attempts to be comedic removed. At least there's one thing I can say is a refreshing change from BG3...

Anyone got a good grasp of the outpost system yet? Can you use it to make everything else faster by starting early, or is it just one of those things you do late in the game and only if you enjoy that sort of thing? Like in FO4, if you didn't start doing settlement stuff early on, then by the time you do get around to it it's like all you're doing is building bases to be able to build more bases.

did OW2 ever come out? i loved the first one

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Lol just had this happen. Unknown ship, it hails me, so I accept, thinking its a quest. Nope, its guy telling me my ships warranty has expired. I attacked him but he basically turned and jumped right away.

Attachments

• 20230903153657_1.jpg
    20230903153657_1.jpg
    357.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 20230903153709_1.jpg
    20230903153709_1.jpg
    361.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 6Worf
Reactions: 5 users

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
If you guys want to get past all contraband checks, it's easy. When you get into the system and are approached by security simply bring up your map and teleport to some other defined location on the planet before they finish scanning. Drop your contraband on the ground. Go back in space and pass the security check and go back to the spot you dropped your contraband and pick it up.

Once you pass the security check you will not be rechecked in that system until you leave.

• 3Like

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If you guys want to get past all contraband checks, it's easy. When you get into the system and are approached by security simply bring up your map and teleport to some other defined location on the planet before they finish scanning. Drop your contraband on the ground. Go back in space and pass the security check and go back to the spot you dropped your contraband and pick it up.

Once you pass the security check you will not be rechecked in that system until you leave.

I will have to remember that. I found some harvested organs once. I just went to The Den on Wolf to sell them. Maybe worth more if you get into a secure system. Got to be quick with that landing I assume, since they scan fast and enter convo quickly afterwards.