Starfield - Fallout fallout that isn't ES6

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
It's not the money.

The reason you keep getting these shit AAA games is because you all will continually not only buy them, but pay for early access, and then excuse the dog shit they put out.

If that was true you wouldn't have this weird hate boner for shitting on games you've never played and exaggerating every minor complaint into the game being "dog shit". Most of the people down on the game aren't even saying that, just that it doesn't meet their insanely high expectations.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

faille

Molten Core Raider
I can't work out my play time on gamepass, but I'm getting close to the end I think, rushing the msq now, so I can't say I haven't gotten my money's worth.
I do think I was more engages and hooked by BG3. I probably could have waited for the full release of this but I'm going to have less free time next week so that worked out ok.
Biggest issue for me is definitely wrong expectations. I was thinking it would be more of elite/x4/freelancer epic open world space game, but it really is just futuristic skyrim. I'm not even sure I would say skyrim in space because the space component it quite marginal.

So if you're on the fence, no reason to rush. Only going to get better with patches and mods, so waiting for sale is just win win. If you loved Skyrim and want more, in a future setting, then jump aboard.

• 1Like

Brodhi

I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
<Donor>
I see people making these comparisons to Skyrim and Fallout and I think its false advertising and need to warn people who actually liked those games. The gameplay loop is : Listen to shitty dialog , have a shootout with a group of pirates in a room or hallway, fast travel to a different location, rinse/repeat. There is no exploring and finding cool things to do. There is no charm of fallout, or freedom of skyrim. If you like it, great, but please don't get people's hopes up saying this shit is anything like Skyrim.

• 8Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Pathetic
Reactions: 9 users

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Bought the game on Steam and I refunded after several hours. For some reason this game is causing my USB peripherals to randomly turn off and on. My mic, game pad controller or keyboard would just start randomly shutting off and then turn on. This is the only game that it does it on. I initially thought it was my game pad controller causing the issue so i disconnected and then my keyboard started doing it. Think I’ll buy it again when it’s on sale and patched the hell out of it.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's a Bethesda game. If you love Bethesda games then you will most likely love this one. They stuck to their formula, put it in space, and it works.

I can take or leave Bethesda games (still haven't played Skyrim), but I like the comfort of knowing where they are coming from. I also like the improvements they made to their engine. It was so clunky in previous games.

Last edited:
  • 1Truth!

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Bought the game on Steam and I refunded after several hours. For some reason this game is causing my USB peripherals to randomly turn off and on. My mic, game pad controller or keyboard would just start randomly shutting off and then turn on. This is the only game that it does it on. I initially thought it was my game pad controller causing the issue so i disconnected and then my keyboard started doing it. Think I’ll buy it again when it’s on sale and patched the hell out of it.
Weirdly enough, I just got a new computer and ran into a similar problem with my mouse (not with this game though, mostly with TW Warhammer 3). Try going to the Device Manager, and go down to the USB ports and look for a power option that lets the port shut down devices to conserve power. Turning that off fixed the problem for me.

• 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
It's not the money.

The reason you keep getting these shit AAA games is because you all will continually not only buy them, but pay for early access, and then excuse the dog shit they put out.

I like shitting on AAA games/studious but i've got about 20 hours in it and it's not shit. It's good. Just some boner mistakes. I don't really consider this like a pre order, which I'm against. I watched the day 1 streams and read some reviews and went on it. The amount of hours i'll have in this will make it well worth the money. I'll actually buy expansion for this, unlike most other AAAs.

Now that i'm use to the UI, the biggest problem with this game is the first couple hours is just shit. They really screwed the pooch compared to their other IPs. Bethesda is known for glorious openings and man, this one sucked ass.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Tide27

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I can say that I am enjoying the game very much. I typically get bored of single player games fairly quickly and don't think I've completed a single one in the past 2 generations of systems.

This is the first one that has me hooked in a long time. I tried No Man Sky and couldn't stand it, because everything seemed pointless to do. More like being the only player on any mmo server.

I'm only 15 hrs or so into the game and still having a great time. Found a few nice weapons, spent about 4 hours on Kreet going to all the PoIs, and working on outposts now. They last planet had low gravity, so when you blasted someone with a shotgun, they would float backwards 20 feet or so... that was a cool touch.

Really glad I picked this up...also glad it's not like No Man's Sky / Elite Dangerous like others seem to have wanted or expected.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
At 50 hours and this went from a decent game to “holy fuck did I just spend 6 hours straight setting up a base and aluminum farm?” pretty quick. It has warts but I’m having a great time and feel like I’m just scratching the surface. There’s just so much content, and several side quest lines are so well done, trumping anything in the msq. This is becoming the opposite of bg3 for me, which started out 10/10 but quickly got old into act 3 leaving a very poor taste in my mouth by the end… this game starts so slow and takes so long to build up a head of steam but when it does it’s peak Bethesda. I thought discourse around bg3 would get slightly worse over time while the discussion around starfield will get more positive as people dive deeper into the mechanics and tools available.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
The game does not support HDR, so if Windows is trying to autoHDR it... don't, unless you really want to mess with some very deep settings.

Im talking about the in game graphical effect HDR when you go from out doors to in doors or vice versa so it adjusts the brighness.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I see people making these comparisons to Skyrim and Fallout and I think its false advertising and need to warn people who actually liked those games. The gameplay loop is : Listen to shitty dialog , have a shootout with a group of pirates in a room or hallway, fast travel to a different location, rinse/repeat. There is no exploring and finding cool things to do. There is no charm of fallout, or freedom of skyrim. If you like it, great, but please don't get people's hopes up saying this shit is anything like Skyrim.
disagree.

Man there's so many people arguing about whether this game is good. I've never seen such a divisive game release. I'm on team I love this game.

• 1Truth!

Tide27

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
disagree.

Man there's so many people arguing about whether this game is good. I've never seen such a divisive game release. I'm on team I love this game.
I think it was / is mostly people's expectations of what they thought the game was.

I've learned not to follow any hype or development of any game. In the past, I'd search for any nugget of info about a game and hype myself up for it, only to feel let down when my own expectations were not met.

If someone was looking for NMS / Elite Dangerous / Freelancer.....newp, this is not it.

I feel that if people would judge a game on its own merits, and not based off what they thought it should be, then this is a fine title.

I'm glad it's not like the other games. Let those games appeal to those that love them, and let this appeal to fans that enjoy a more Mass Effect / Kotor / Skyrim type game.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I wish vendors carried more credits. Found a pirate den that had about 6 things worth of contraband.

Or just mass weapons and the vendors can never buy it all.

The note from random spacers that leads to mantis base with the full legendary suit and awesome ship was pretty cool.

While most of the enemies I have fought have been humans. Some of the animals are crazy(found some dinosaur looking things that had 900hp, took a while to kill and they were in a pack 6). Or some of the robots.

Most of the more fun missions are these ones you just find going places. Either from a drop or mostly it seems distress calls or they hail you from a ship.

I find the MSQ a little dull, go find pretty metal on planet X and bring it back to place it. At least these caves it takes you to have some good metals to mine in them.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I think the freedom/exploration complaint is kind of weird. How can you possibly have a space faring game where you can just run around freely and find a bunch of different things? Even flying is the same thing. Fallout NV and 4 were a city metro area. Skyrim was a single kingdom. I guarantee if you could fly in your ship to 10 different planets within a couple minutes of each other, staying in the ship the entire time, people would complain about how small it all feels. Yet that would be the equivalent of the kind of exploration freedom you have from fallout or Skyrim. It's just not reasonable to think every planet could be jam-packed with endless handcrafted points of interest to satisfy your exploration itch fully. I personally think there's a lot of exploration fun to be had but it's not exactly the same as previous Bethesda games.

On a different note I've heard how the completion of the MSQ into NG+ actually changes the story for future playthroughs. You basically lose everything except your character progress so I was wondering if there's anyone here who's been through multiple NG+ levels and can say to what extent it's worth doing more than one?

• 1Like

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
The Outpost building system is refined from the previous Fallout versions and is quite good at making full scale stuff...but it is also just a pain to use with a controller on a console. The ship building and customizations are likewise top notch and a heck of a lot of fun.

I do wish the 'dealership' ships were a bit more refined and new-car ish. I would expect a used POS from the BuyNLarge trucker types, but I went to the Straud-Eckland store out of loyalty and the ship I got was clearly the same as what would have been found as a captured vessel.

The larger ships are interesting in concept but not very practical and trying to drive around with a view screen instead of a cockpit is a pain.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Almost tempted to buy the 250k ship from new atlantis. Just for the 2,000 storage it has.

It looks cool too and seems to have pretty high weapons all around.

But I probably dont even have the pilot skill for it :p

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
Not trying to convince anyone.

This is also the same shit that happened in the Diablo IV thread. If you don't share in the constant praise, you're just trolling. Last I checked, this is a forum for discussion.
At 50 hours and this went from a decent game to “holy fuck did I just spend 6 hours straight setting up a base and aluminum farm?” pretty quick. It has warts but I’m having a great time and feel like I’m just scratching the surface. There’s just so much content, and several side quest lines are so well done, trumping anything in the msq. This is becoming the opposite of bg3 for me, which started out 10/10 but quickly got old into act 3 leaving a very poor taste in my mouth by the end… this game starts so slow and takes so long to build up a head of steam but when it does it’s peak Bethesda. I thought discourse around bg3 would get slightly worse over time while the discussion around starfield will get more positive as people dive deeper into the mechanics and tools available.
They somehow seriously underestimated the learning curve on what this game requires the player to know and how much they are tell you. In previous games, Fallout/Skyrim, those games were sequels, so there was an already established convention of how to do things, what systems did what, what player expectations were, etc. None of that matches up in Starfield. Fallout whatever->Fallout 3-> Fallout NV- Fallout 4 or Daggerfall->Morrowind-> Oblivion-> Skyrim and all the DLC, players mostly knew the worlds and how things worked. Here, there is a vague extended tutorial but at the same time beyond the basics they don't really explain very much of anything. The UI is a jumbled mess of keys, owning the Console-centric nature of the design (XBOX NOW, XBOX and EMPEROR SPECTOR 4EVAS!!! God bless him otherwise this would be PS5 exclusive) I have been flitting around a bunch between various parts of the game and bitching about a lot of them but it is FINALLY starting to come together and I see what all of the playtesters saw, its a rough first 10-12 hours as one acclimatizes to the new IP. (seriously E to target but long E press to stand up from the pilots chair in the middle of a fire fight? just tapping doesn't work but somewhere between a tap and more than a quick press I get out of the cockpit completely with shooting enemies in range? Unbelievable. Just make stand up a different key press, FFS.)

With Diablo 4 there is a core fun game there but Blizzard Corporate was making decisions that interfered with that, and it took a while to figure out why; With Cyberpunk CDPR launched 3 quarters too early for shareholder reasons and they finally got that game back on track. With Starfield, it seems like BGS's design language and limited feedback look is just getting in the way of what is a another good/great Bethesda Game. It would have been better to have let more people look at what was coming ala BG3; it would have allowed for feedback required for a better set of initial impressions to the game, which would have had to be a decadal GOAT to live up to the hype. It needs to some improvements, to be sure, and there are things that will be judged more fairly once the hype balloon drops and people get to see it in the cooler light of day, such as actually thank goodness for Fast Travel, the more time that goes on, the more thankful for it I am, straight to the Lodge from 30LY out rather than the Spaceport and then uber repetitive TRAM or whatever rides.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Space combat felt a lot better when I realized what hitting the space bar did in combat heh.

• 1Like