Starfield - Fallout fallout that isn't ES6

Cybsled

I ran across the "V'ger" random event quest. Was pretty cool. On a side note, you get extra resolution options if you're employed by Ryujin Industries and it unlocks a 3rd possible outcome that gives the highest credit reward.

Pic unrelated

o2.jpg

• 1Mother of God
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
This game's menus need a lot of work.

Gameplay is generally good and shooting is fun enough. But the gameworld drags on as lots of it simply isn't interesting. Very few points of interest have any real payoff or even breadcrumb. Since they went the route of loot generation with minimal, if any, static drops there isn't any cool treasure chest of unique items around the corner. Unless you randomly find one. Outposts are a cool idea but like was said in here. All of the outpost stuff only makes it better and easier to make more outposts. None of which you need for the base game.

Like I stumble upon an abandoned robot factory. Okay cool. But its just full of pirates and nothing else remotely interesting. I did find some strong modded weapons though I guess. No cache of ship mats or anything like that. I think research and armor/weapon modding is cool and should be expanded upon. There being so many types of ammo is SUPER annoying.

I became a reporter for CNN and a debt collector. Stumbled upon the underworld and some "art dealers." Plenty of cool points. The quicktravel system makes it hard to find the cool sidequests though unless you play how they want even though they don't tell you they want to play that way.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

zignor 4

Molten Core Raider
The kids were dispatched to their grandparents this weekend and I finally had a few hours to put into this.

To this point it's been the standard Bethesda mix of feeling wider than it is deep, side quests that are (so far) much more interesting than the main story, an unoptimized engine that laughs at high-end PCs (forcing modders to fix it), but yet manages to be more entertaining than the sum of its parts. The more I play, the more I am enjoying myself. Fortunately at my slow as fuck pace, there will be plenty of fully-vetted mods available before I get too far.

Also, after it got late I turned off the PC and fired it up on the Series X in the basement so I could continue to loudly murder space pirates without waking my wife up, and yikes...would not recommend. 30fps is brutal after getting used to 60+ on the PC, lol.

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
So apparently if you get a new ship that requires registration, you don't need to go to a spaceport and use the vendor to register. Just open your character sheet, and click ship, and the option to register is there, but it only charges you 66% vs 84%. Don't know if that was well known, I sure had no idea.

• 4Mother of God
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 4 users

velk

Trakanon Raider
Ship registration is stupid anyway, it's fair enough if you want to legally own it and use it everywhere or whatever, but stripping them for parts really shouldn't cost more than the parts are worth.

• 1Like

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I am honestly shocked there is no where to sell a ship without registration. Not a single black market vendor for ships. Can sell stolen goods, drugs, fucking harvested organs but sorry you have to register a ship to sell it.

• 4Like

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
behold, after hours of carefully crafting a comprehensive factory I now have the power to build all the resources widely available for cheap from vendors.

View attachment 490163

I had no idea something of this scale was even possible. I had vague notions of being able to set up shop on some planet that was rich in X and make some X stuff that way but this... How do you get raw materials?

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Ship registration is stupid anyway, it's fair enough if you want to legally own it and use it everywhere or whatever, but stripping them for parts really shouldn't cost more than the parts are worth.
I haven't screwed around with ship building yet. I stole one ship from some colonists on some random planet just to see what it entailed and sold for a few K credits. Only other ships I've gotten have been from some of the story lines.

Had a question though. If you aquire a ship, can you just dismantle it, and basically store all the parts in your fleet inventory or something, and then just mix and match or Frankenstein a new ship out of everything? Have no clue how that's handled. Took the first level of ship building yesterday with the intent of messing with it and building or modifying a ship this week.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I am honestly shocked there is no where to sell a ship without registration. Not a single black market vendor for ships. Can sell stolen goods, drugs, fucking harvested organs but sorry you have to register a ship to sell it.
Yeah, you'd think the CF would let you, or at least it'd be a much cheaper route because they have to forge the registration yada yada, but are happy to fence the ship.

I guess the registration is required for docking at different ports and planets. Wouldn't be surprised if somebody mods something that simple in. Could basically just add a kiosk in an appropriate location that's let's you do everything.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
How do you get raw materials?
That's the part that sucks. I have a handful of outposts off-world supplying resources like copper, tungsten, lubricant etc, and I can link them to my Cargo Link, get a shipment of hundreds of those and am set for the rest of the game with them. But then there are ~60 other resources to worry about. I don't know which are worth spending an hour building a new outpost for (or multiple hours in the case of organic stuff...), so instead I just buy all the raw materials at stores then manually stuff all those bins.

The number of resources in the game is just too high and the depth of manufacturing is too low for there to be a huge payoff after building a build-anything factory. I find myself really just needing the raw resources when researching and already having plenty of high-end manufactured components I picked up from vendors, so the factories do fuck all.

• 4Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, you'd think the CF would let you, or at least it'd be a much cheaper route because they have to forge the registration yada yada, but are happy to fence the ship.

I guess the registration is required for docking at different ports and planets. Wouldn't be surprised if somebody mods something that simple in. Could basically just add a kiosk in an appropriate location that's let's you do everything.
Would be cool if there were four basic tiers of factions:
* UC: super strict, requires ship registration, licensing / dock fees etc for landing. Has access to unique tech.
* Freestar: Less strict, requires ship registration for landing, but not licensing
* Unaffiliated: Generally lawless, does not require ship registration
* Pirate: Requires *some* kind of faction-pass to land, has access to black market

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Would be cool if there were four basic tiers of factions:
* UC: super strict, requires ship registration, licensing / dock fees etc for landing. Has access to unique tech.
* Freestar: Less strict, requires ship registration for landing, but not licensing
* Unaffiliated: Generally lawless, does not require ship registration
* Pirate: Requires *some* kind of faction-pass to land, has access to black market
Yeah, that's a pretty good idea. Every faction has unique benefits or purpose as long as you jump through the hoops.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Finally went through and did all major side quests, and a ton of the minor side quests on top of beating it a few times and setting up bases, supply chains and ship building.

All in all, it's a good game but it's not great. I'd say its about an 8/10 to me where BG3 is probably a 9/10. This game is massive, and it's filled with a million things to do but in an effort to create such a massive game world, a lot of the BGS charm gets lost. It's similar to BG3 in that way - they say there are a million ways to play but in both games (Starfields general gameplay and BG3's endings) I'd prefer a tighter, more curated story/world(s). Something was lost in the effort here that would/could have pushed this to a higher tier (Elden Ring/Skyrim/Witcher 3, insert other goated games). I like Starfield and enjoyed my playthroughs, but part of me is feeling disappointment - can you imagine what this would have looked like had it released last fall as it was scheduled to? Honestly, Cyberpunk was a better game at release and I expect the xpac in a few weeks to be miles better than Starfield is currently.

This will definitely get better with age and mods, but the parts of the game that are lacking to me will be impossible to fix just by the nature of the design. I'm fearful for ES6 if they continue using their in house engines, would be a shame to not get that game in UE5, etc.

• 4Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
can you imagine what this would have looked like had it released last fall as it was scheduled to?
dumpsterfire-flooding.gif

Agree on UE5. I wonder what portion of development is spent on trying to build a world-class gaming engine while Unreal Engine 5 is just pulling away from everyone while spending an order of magnitude more on their engine than is spent on most AAA games.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chapell

Trakanon Raider
You don't want Bethesda games on UE5.
Unless both side provide real modding tools, and Epic won't provide that just to please Bethesda and some nerds. And for free.

There is a real modding scene and by that i mean really advanced mods on Bethesda games for decades. We're not talking about some texture replacer for RE engine and other low crap mods found in UE games.
Animations, heavy scripts, UI, huge xpac with quest and new mobs model, blabla, done for free by this scene SELL Bethesda games in the very long run. This is unique and because of that they have zero reason to share it with another company ala EPIC.

Also ID Software.

Last edited:
  • 4Like

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Can you even run afoul of the UC and be productive in the game? Can you live on the fringes and away from their worlds allowing you to dip in and take some of them out and return to your outposts? If you go really notorious or had a ship of a certain class I kinda wish they'd shirk away if they didn't have sufficient numbers or run away if you took out a ship or two.

Is Wolf your only source for selling things at that point, I guess random traders, too?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
You don't want Bethesda games on UE5.
Unless both side provide real modding tools, and Epic won't provide that just to please Bethesda and some nerds. And for free.

There is a real modding scene and by that i mean really advanced mods on Bethesda games for decades. We're not talking about some texture replacer for RE engine and other low crap mods found in UE games.
Animations, heavy scripts, huge xpac with quest and new mobs model, blabla, done for free by this scene SELL Bethesda games in the very long run. This is unique and because of that they have zero reason to share it with another company ala EPIC.

Also ID Software.
I'd only want to see them move ES6 to UE5 if it was semi-open and modable in the Unreal Editor (Or likely a new "Creation Kit" built on the Unreal Editor). This should be totally feasible with custom plugins and a custom engine. The value in BGS is the complete game that serves as a platform for the modding base, so I think this is feasible without devaluing their able to sell games.