Starfield - Fallout fallout that isn't ES6

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
not sure if this is a subset or superset of that link but here's what I've been using:
I skimmed that quick and didn't read the replies, but there's a bit of misinfo in the crew skills section. Heller does seem to increase resource output and he stacks with 3 sanitation minibots. Lin definitely increases the number of bots and links you can have too. Also, I'm not sure why he mentions Barrett and Andreja crew skills stacking when they are two different skills. Barrett buffs the hell out of your ship's particle cannons; Andreja just wants to equip particle guns in the field. I wish I could give her the fully modded Va'ruun pistol I have, but there's a horrible ear and speaker destroying audio glitch that persists until you load a savegame every time she fires it.

His comment about weapons is good advice: set up an array of missile launchers (Atlatl are the best iirc) but only give them 1 power. Do the same with the UC particle guns (you can equip 6 of them since they only draw 2 power each--bug?) with 1 power as well. Now you have a massive alpha strike that can obliterate anything short of a legendary ship instantly. Might actually take one of those out too, I haven't run into another one yet to test it. And sadly he's right, turrets pretty much are superior to guns you fire yourself. It's not even close really.

And I would say the reddit post is a subset. It lacks the most important thing that they also don't tell you in game anywhere -- modules are level-gated. They don't even appear greyed out in the ui like the ones you don't have enough skills for, it's like they don't even exist until you level up.

Lemme look for the one I saw the other day that had no ladders. I'll likely go for something closer to that one.
That's pretty similar to my final (for now) ship build. I love that cockpit, and after dicking around for far too long I managed to get all the ladders to go away. I did it with all Nova habs rather than the stuff I see he's using, so at least there's some flexibility in getting it to work. Mine's much smaller too, I hate not having ~maxed maneuvering and speed. Still have 828 shield, 1600 cargo (190 shielded), and can jump 30LY.

Last edited:

Vorph

Back on the topic of outposts, anyone ever seen one that you can't land at after the first time you leave? Like, I have a large ship pad built, but the outpost doesn't show up on the planet view as a location at all. There's a landing area that still works but it's 1km away and requires me to land there, fast travel to the outpost, then run up to the ship pad and summon the ship by opening the builder.

• 1WTF
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
here's a horrible ear and speaker destroying audio glitch that persists until you load a savegame every time she fires it.
todd-todd-howard.gif

Good to know on turrets, I didn't even consider getting them. I also switched to an "alpha strike and regen" approach since you can load your ship with massive numbers of guns.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
also re: companion skills, this is the guide I've been using but idk how out of data it is.

It's amazing how every game release people dedicate so much effort to documenting the game's mechanics in rando locations, but it all gets lost. Most game info put into somewhere other than Starfield Wiki will be dead in a couple months.

• 1Like

Molten Core Raider
Just watched the beginning of that video, and I already know I'll never build that ship. Two words: Fuck Ladders.
Haha, understandable. Luckily the way the ship is laid out you only have to fuck with them if you're heading to the workshop, or just wanting to run around inside the ship for immersion purposes. The hatch is directly behind the cockpit so no climbing necessary to reach it if you enter/exit that way, and if you enter from the docking bay, you always have the option of just jumping directly to the cockpit. Less annoying than it seems at first glance, but yeah, still ladders around.

• 1Like

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Just watched the beginning of that video, and I already know I'll never build that ship. Two words: Fuck Ladders.

Lemme look for the one I saw the other day that had no ladders. I'll likely go for something closer to that one.

Here it is:

Love the staircases in the cockpit, wish there were more options to add things like that instead of ladders.

• 1Solidarity

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Without knowing much about ship building, I'm going to say definitely not. Even that one in the video is barely better than the Wanderwell I have, although in my defense I only got it from my parents last night (I think, the nights blur together now).
I have a lot of time in the ship builder, but have only stolen a few ships. What it looks like to me is that stealing ships gets you mods sooner than you can get unlocking them by leveling up in the builder. On the second ship I stole, at around level 10, it had two huge fuel tanks. Those tanks required starship engineering 3 and somewhere around level 25 before they will show up in the builder. I assume on the better ships that you can steal, it's more than just the fuel tanks that are "overleveled."

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I have a lot of time in the ship builder, but have only stolen a few ships. What it looks like to me is that stealing ships gets you mods sooner than you can get unlocking them by leveling up in the builder. On the second ship I stole, at around level 10, it had two huge fuel tanks. Those tanks required starship engineering 3 and somewhere around level 25 before they will show up in the builder. I assume on the better ships that you can steal, it's more than just the fuel tanks that are "overleveled."
I think you're right. Wanna say I watched a video the other day that discussed the random faction ships you may encounter will have components outside of their class / level sometimes. No clue which ones are worth hunting down though.

Vorph

also re: companion skills, this is the guide I've been using but idk how out of data it is.
Man, after reading that I really want to know if Barrett's particle beam skill actually works. Going to have to replace him with Omari if it doesn't. Wish I could have them both, but no way am I spending 8 more points in Social just to put 1 into Starship Command. Isolation isn't completely terrible now that I know how it works (and more importantly, why it breaks), but the other 4 points would be completely wasted.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Am I the only person retarded enough to, after rotating through New Atlantis 20+ times, still experience a moment of anxiety when I see the Transit in-station and worry that it'll leave without me?

• 2Worf
  • 1Thoughts & Prayers
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Am I the only person retarded enough to, after rotating through New Atlantis 20+ times, still experience a moment of anxiety when I see the Transit in-station and worry that it'll leave without me?

The WoW ptsd, when you run down the tram ramp and see it pulling it away.

I honestly wouldn't mind if it worked like that, would actually feel more like a city. Especially if a crowd built to board and rushed out again when it arrived. Since you can use the scanner fast travel to just move around the city instead.

• 1Like

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
The WoW ptsd, when you run down the tram ramp and see it pulling it away.

I honestly wouldn't mind if it worked like that, would actually feel more like a city. Especially if a crowd built to board and rushed out again when it arrived. Since you can use the scanner fast travel to just move around the city instead.
WoW, hell that sounds like EQ with the boat to Qeynos.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
WoW, hell that sounds like EQ with the boat to Qeynos.

That was even worse, since it was a lot more time in between. But I played a wizard, so just teleported around :p Rarely took boats and TLP just had translocators ;P

Zefah

<Gold Donor>
These developers have to be fucking joking me with these temple missions. This is ridiculously low effort.

I'm going to give this thing about 3 or 4 more hours before deciding whether or not to just drop it.

I'm honestly bewildered how much smaller in scale and cramped this game feels compared to their previous efforts. Seems like they are taking a step backwards even from Oblivion.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
How come when I eat food, my carry weight/mass goes down? It's heavy in my backpack and weightless in my guts?

• 4Worf
  • 1Thoughts & Prayers
  • 1Like
Reactions: 5 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Man, you guys weren't kidding about the corpo questline, just finished it.

It's not that it's horrible, but it's definitely weaker then the portions of the others I've played through. Would have been better if the stealth mechanics were different then typical Bethesda. Really tried to go all in on the espionage, but ended up running and gunning my way through the last mission, which was actually pretty nice. Fuck em, was tired of sneaking around, hehe.