Starfield - Fallout fallout that isn't ES6

Talos

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I just can't get into this game. I'm only like 4 hours into the main quest but I find the whole space travel thing ... pretty lame to be honest, and there's a lot of it. The amount of running around this feels more like a Mass Effect clone than FO3/4.
I played a few hours at release and have had zero interest in continuing. Boring game.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Finished another NG+ last night and got another of the unique universes, this time the kids. Couldn't access my inventory or save yet again. So I reloaded and started another, and got one where Andreja is the only one there, and since I am a snake diddler too she didn't try to kill me. Still no inventory or save. Since she's my bae, I decided to see if I could actually salvage this playthrough and looked it up. Apparently there is a simple console command to re-enable inventory and saves, and a whole fuckload of argument about whether or not this is a bug or a feature. Mainly stemming from the fact that the command is essentially one that turns off the "you're in a cutscene" mode (which turns off saves and inventory, obviously), implying that perhaps a simple switch didn't get set at the beginning of those unique universes.

Initially I was pretty sure it was a feature like a lot of people here, where it was just supposed to be a cool little thing that you saw but then either died and reloaded or just reloaded anyway. But when I got the kids universe they gave me a note from Sarah that I couldn't read even with the workaround for accessing your inventory via containers. I feel like they wouldn't have put in the effort (however minimal) to create a note for you if you will never be able to read it. I'm disappointed that I didn't look up the console command during that universe so I could have seen if the note actually said anything or was simply a prop. But anyway, now I feel that they might actually be universes you are intended to "seek out" and play through as a little bonus (and way to stretch content). From what people say you can complete the artifact and move on, so that sort of further supports them wanting you to actually play them when you get them. I can't imagine they won't patch that soon if it is a bug, particularly since it is probably an incredibly simple fix, but we'll just have to wait and see.

For those interested, here is the main reddit page where I found all my info for this. And the console command to enable saves and inventory is SetInChargen 0 0 0

Spoilers for all the new universes, obviously. Scroll down to some of the comments for better directions than the OP as far as how to actually force the game to give you these universes whenever you choose.

• 1Worf

Abigailicious

Lord Nagafen Raider
I"m level 20, been playing slow since release. Plus I have a busy life. At first it seemed underwhelming, but it's growing on me.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I am here to report that the unique universes are dumb. Sure, it might be cool to have your clone follow you around or something like that, but they basically suck. I mentioned that I got the one where Andreja took over Constellation with her zealot friends and let me live because I put snakes in her coochie. Obviously she gave me the artifacts after doing that, because who wouldn't, but then I couldn't interact with her any more than randomnpc_004 where you click them and they just say one of a couple phrases over and over. I even went into the console and confirmed that when you target her she's not even really Andreja, just a generic npc they made to look like her.

I thought maybe after I collect the artifacts she'd talk to me. Nope. So I could never interact with her, never have any companions, even going to The Eye was just me strolling into an empty station and clicking the nav table to find another temple. I finished the NG+ run, but it was even less interesting than a normal one. I even went back to her when I had nothing left to do but go into the Unity, and she still didn't say anything, not even a Hail Serpent God or attaboy or anything. No special scene while in the Unity either (although amusingly it still had the one that talks about how the remaining members of Constellation (who are all dead in this universe) study the Unity and bring enlightenment to the universe or whatever crap it says...instead of "House Va'ruun dominates the galaxy and everyone has sex with snakes"). Completely fucking worthless.

So now I'm back to thinking maybe it IS a feature to not be able to save or use your inventory there, because it is a completely pointless existence outside of the first minute or two of seeing how it is different. I would never play through another unique version like that, because they truly are "lesser" in every way except for the one cool thing you encounter immediately. Which is good because now I don't have to seek them out, and since I'm now NG+10 I can just stop and play normally again. Might be a little difficult to shake the mindset that looting and scanning and dialogue and essentially everything doesn't matter like it doesn't if all you are doing is skipping the main quest to power through runs.

tl;dr watch unique universe clips on YouTube if you really care, otherwise just reload and get a normal one. Trust me.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
The studio that made a half baked game with a ton of bugs has half baked NG+ system full of bugs. I'm thinking they should have polished the initial turd before trying to shit out multiple variations of the turd.

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
I am here to report that the unique universes are dumb. Sure, it might be cool to have your clone follow you around or something like that, but they basically suck. I mentioned that I got the one where Andreja took over Constellation with her zealot friends and let me live because I put snakes in her coochie. Obviously she gave me the artifacts after doing that, because who wouldn't, but then I couldn't interact with her any more than randomnpc_004 where you click them and they just say one of a couple phrases over and over. I even went into the console and confirmed that when you target her she's not even really Andreja, just a generic npc they made to look like her.

I thought maybe after I collect the artifacts she'd talk to me. Nope. So I could never interact with her, never have any companions, even going to The Eye was just me strolling into an empty station and clicking the nav table to find another temple. I finished the NG+ run, but it was even less interesting than a normal one. I even went back to her when I had nothing left to do but go into the Unity, and she still didn't say anything, not even a Hail Serpent God or attaboy or anything. No special scene while in the Unity either (although amusingly it still had the one that talks about how the remaining members of Constellation (who are all dead in this universe) study the Unity and bring enlightenment to the universe or whatever crap it says...instead of "House Va'ruun dominates the galaxy and everyone has sex with snakes"). Completely fucking worthless.

So now I'm back to thinking maybe it IS a feature to not be able to save or use your inventory there, because it is a completely pointless existence outside of the first minute or two of seeing how it is different. I would never play through another unique version like that, because they truly are "lesser" in every way except for the one cool thing you encounter immediately. Which is good because now I don't have to seek them out, and since I'm now NG+10 I can just stop and play normally again. Might be a little difficult to shake the mindset that looting and scanning and dialogue and essentially everything doesn't matter like it doesn't if all you are doing is skipping the main quest to power through runs.

tl;dr watch unique universe clips on YouTube if you really care, otherwise just reload and get a normal one. Trust me.
I watched the YouTube for all the Unique Universes. It's like they read my comment about Marvel What If's (stop) and said, "Hell nah! We can do a WAY shittier version of that."

And then they did.

They had 10 months/7 Years to polish design the game, No one thought to do this for initial release? How about a universe where Terrormorphs have taken over everywhere and humanity only lives in hovels/little outposts, Constellation is the last defense? Where whatever the Predators of the Terrormorphs have taken over and you need to find Terrormorphs to and alter them to save humanity? Where House Var'poon won the Crusades with all female Zealots ala Monty Python ("Naughty Zoot! Wicked, bad, naughty Zoot!") Where Akila City is advanced and New Atlantis is a po-dunk western town? The sky is the fucking limit.

Instead we got this. I sure as hell hope the snakes thing is an entrendre

• 2Like

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
I watched the YouTube for all the Unique Universes. It's like they read my comment about Marvel What If's (stop) and said, "Hell nah! We can do a WAY shittier version of that."

And then they did.

They had 10 months/7 Years to polish design the game, No one thought to do this for initial release? How about a universe where Terrormorphs have taken over everywhere and humanity only lives in hovels/little outposts, Constellation is the last defense? Where whatever the Predators of the Terrormorphs have taken over and you need to find Terrormorphs to and alter them to save humanity? Where House Var'poon won the Crusades with all female Zealots ala Monty Python ("Naughty Zoot! Wicked, bad, naughty Zoot!") Where Akila City is advanced and New Atlantis is a po-dunk western town? The sky is the fucking limit.

Instead we got this. I sure as hell hope the snakes thing is an entrendre
you are literally describing the DLCs/expansions, and yes the set up provides them with unlimited possibilities for DLCs.

This is the baseline entry point of a new franchise, it's job is to establish the setting (the future/space) and lore (history/factions/events). At its base the game has 1k explorable planets/moons. Yes they're procedurally generated but the game is wide enough, the unique feature is multiverse/time travel/etc. This setup guarantees that expansions will not expand horizontally by adding more planets/POIs but instead add alternate timelines/universes where shit is truly divergent rather than just a handful of simple, easy to implement timelines to introduce the concept after you've beaten a 100/200+ hour game.

• 1Like

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
The quests/story infiltrating Crimson Fleet were pretty good. And then the end result is just shrug worthy. Very little change to the world. No interesting options to try to take over as leader. I let Kunta Ikande live, but still all felt very canned and generic and like it didn't matter what I did.

The Lt you do evidence quests with was almost interesting. I wanted to be able to recruit her back into crime and take over Crimson Fleet with her. Promise her we'd be kinder, friendlier pirates.

Something that felt like it mattered. Preferably an option to double cross all the characters that were fucking annoying assholes except that Lt.

Hope I get to kill that jive as ghetto bitch Neva in a dlc or something. Maybe worst character a bunch of white liberal virtue signalers have ever devised. Just ugh.

With that quest and the meh outcome think I'm done. Only have most of main quests left, but no thanks. One gay temple bathouse experience was enough for me. And space powers... Just lame.

Overall I give it a 5/10 rating for current times. A decade ago it would have been goty, sure, but everything in Starfield feels so dated, especially after firing up Cyberpunk 2077 to start a new game for the dlc.

My final takeaway is just the feeling of what a waste.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
My final takeaway is just the feeling of what a waste.
How I felt after the Ranger quest line. Find out one of the most powerful men in the collective is fucking over farmers and vets and the end result is nothing. All you get is "gee is hopetech gonna survive without Hope?" at the end.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
The whole game is kinda meh. Does not have any soul or any sort of charm to it like the older Bethesda games did.

Last edited:
  • 8Like
  • 1Truth!
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 9 users

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
How I felt after the Ranger quest line. Find out one of the most powerful men in the collective is fucking over farmers and vets and the end result is nothing. All you get is "gee is hopetech gonna survive without Hope?" at the end.

Yeah, that was another one. Decent story that built to a fairly forced ending that didn't change much.

Though... The front two guards inside would attack me every time I came back... I'd slaughter them as customers and staff ran for their lives, then as I was looting their bleeding corpses everyone would stroll back into place so I could turn in my delivery of metal moments later.

Problem is game is so buggy I didn't even know if it was intended. Because Hopetown would also bug out my ship most times I landed by creating a second copy right on top of my ship. Sometimes I couldn't enter because the second ship didn't have its bay door down, or when I took off it would separate from the other ship like a cell splitting.

Is this design or a bug isn't a very good question for players to have to ask for the dozenth time.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I don't think anyone cares anymore, but I watched a video the other day about a "hidden difficulty factor" that no one really knew about. Without making you watch like 20+ minutes, it boils down to every NG+ you finish adds to the damage you take and lowers the damage you do. Well, I guess technically the enemies resist it more, but you doing less damage is exactly the same thing unless you are shooting yourself.

The additional damage to you is some retarded scale like +15% at +1, + another 14% at +2,...5% at +9, 1% at +10 for a total of 100% additional damage capped. So you are taking double damage if you play at NG+10 like I am.

The lower damage you do also ramps up, but only -5% per NG+, so a maximum of -50% at +10.

That explains why I was getting absolutely shredded by this specific elite guy if I didn't abuse Phase Time X over and over.

He goes way into depth about ALL the damage calculations in the game, if you care, but the video is almost worth the watch just for how annoyed and salty he gets about everyone else that has done a "damage calculation" video and never actually tested shit or did any math. I subscribed immediately after this just because I look forward to more of his videos shitting on people. I feel like he would fit in great here.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I don't think anyone cares anymore, but I watched a video the other day about a "hidden difficulty factor" that no one really knew about. Without making you watch like 20+ minutes, it boils down to every NG+ you finish adds to the damage you take and lowers the damage you do. Well, I guess technically the enemies resist it more, but you doing less damage is exactly the same thing unless you are shooting yourself.

The additional damage to you is some retarded scale like +15% at +1, + another 14% at +2,...5% at +9, 1% at +10 for a total of 100% additional damage capped. So you are taking double damage if you play at NG+10 like I am.

The lower damage you do also ramps up, but only -5% per NG+, so a maximum of -50% at +10.

That explains why I was getting absolutely shredded by this specific elite guy if I didn't abuse Phase Time X over and over.

He goes way into depth about ALL the damage calculations in the game, if you care, but the video is almost worth the watch just for how annoyed and salty he gets about everyone else that has done a "damage calculation" video and never actually tested shit or did any math. I subscribed immediately after this just because I look forward to more of his videos shitting on people. I feel like he would fit in great here.

I'm still playing the game and having fun. Started the Starseed quest the other day but haven't finished yet. Still need to assault the Key. Just been running around exploring and knocking out random activities. Don't know where I'm at with the MSQ, maybe half way.

Anyways, any new shit about the game is appreciated. There's definitely things they could have done better, but I'm enjoying it, and feel I've gotten my money's worth so far. It'll be cool to see down the road how the game turns out via mods and DLCs.

• 1Like

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I'm still playing the game and having fun. Started the Starseed quest the other day but haven't finished yet. Still need to assault the Key. Just been running around exploring and knocking out random activities. Don't know where I'm at with the MSQ, maybe half way.

Anyways, any new shit about the game is appreciated. There's definitely things they could have done better, but I'm enjoying it, and feel I've gotten my money's worth so far. It'll be cool to see down the road how the game turns out via mods and DLCs.
I've dropped off a lot in terms of playtime, but I'm purposely going and doing every single little quest that pops up instead of most of the bigger ones. Like I exhausted (so far at least) doing debt collecting for GalBank, and somebody asked me to check on her brother in Cydonia which led me to a short little quest with a worthless boss and some sabotage, and then that quest guy directed me to another woman nearby that needed some help, etc. Totally inconsequential stuff, but mildly entertaining all the same.

I'm currently going through the entire UCS Constant and Paradiso to make sure I steal every Star Trek outfit and swimsuit, in case I feel like outfitting my entire crew in matching clothes.

• 1Like

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
i'm just about 130 hours in and just about to start the final faction questline (Crimson Fleet). I have several dozen minor quests and activities I haven't bothered doing, nor have I done any mission board/radiant style quests other than the 1 or 2 required to unlock certain faction questlines. I still have the final(?) main quest as well as 11 more temples/artifacts to hunt before even thinking about NG+.

If you subtract the 10-20 hours I spent dicking around in spaceship creator and 10 hours spent exploring/scanning there's still at least 100-120 hours worth of gameplay for the first run through, probably 150-200 if you do all of the quests/activities, and exploring/scanning the entire explorable galaxy is an additional 200 hours of gameplay.

• 1Like

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
If you install the digipick mod like I did after proving I am capable of doing it about 100 times, it shaves countless hours off of that time! Cut a couple more once you learn how to boostpack up ladders! A few more when you install the mod that speeds up sitting in/getting up from the cockpit and opening/closing doors!

I know it sounds like I'm shitting on the game fairly often, and I am, but I do still enjoy it a lot and play it somewhat. It just kills me that someone either overruled hordes of playtesters OR it was never tested in the first place, how much time is completely fucking wasted watching the same animations hundreds of times over the course of a playthrough. That's not even counting digipicks or the temples they expect you to do the EXACT SAME THING 20+ times per run. It isn't even difficult, even with the "suprise" Starborn appearing eventually. They even appear in the same fucking spot every time so you are already shooting them as they phase in. Seriously, I want to know who was in charge of that gameplay loop, and take a giant shit on their desk. Every day. Forever.

• 2Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I've dropped off a lot in terms of playtime, but I'm purposely going and doing every single little quest that pops up instead of most of the bigger ones. Like I exhausted (so far at least) doing debt collecting for GalBank, and somebody asked me to check on her brother in Cydonia which led me to a short little quest with a worthless boss and some sabotage, and then that quest guy directed me to another woman nearby that needed some help, etc. Totally inconsequential stuff, but mildly entertaining all the same.

I'm currently going through the entire UCS Constant and Paradiso to make sure I steal every Star Trek outfit and swimsuit, in case I feel like outfitting my entire crew in matching clothes.
Is there a quest line past the Constant after you figure out what to do with them? I know there's an activity to check on their location, but that's one of the only bugs I had. The ship had disappeared but you can use a console command to respawn it basically. Go back on the ship and talk to a few people and you get a couple of little side quests, but nothing really major. Think I convinced the captain to let some lady in the vegetable garden to leave the ship or something, but that was it.

Just wondering.

• 1Like