Stargate Reboot Trilogy

Goatface

MGM and Warner Bros. announced they are teaming with Roland Emmerich and Dean Devlin to create a re-imagined trilogy based on the sci-fi hit Stargate, one of the biggest titles in the MGM library. Emmerich, who directed and co-wrote the original film with Devlin, is on board to direct this one, with Devlin producing. Those two are already hard at work on a new version of Independence Day at Fox.

MGM?s Gary Barber called Emmerich and Devlin ?world-class creators of the original Stargate,? and said they will ?bring their reinvigorated vision of this wildly popular property to audiences of multiple generations.?
Said Emmerich and Devlin: ?The Stargate universe is one that we missed terribly, and we cannot wait to get going on imagining new adventures and situations for the trilogy. This story is very close to our hearts, and getting the chance to revisit this world is in many ways like a long lost child that has found its way back home.? MGM?s Jonathan Glickman will oversee it with Warner Bros? Greg Silverman. Warners will distribute with MGM handling some international territories. Back in its day, Stargate set the record for highest October gross and did near $200 million in global ticket sales. It went on to have a very successful run as a syndicated TV series.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
As much as I want to say "fuck you hollywood and your reboots" I will probably watch this and the Independence day one :p

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
MGM and Warner Bros. announced they are teaming with Roland Emmerich and Dean Devlin to create a re-imagined trilogy based on the sci-fi hit Stargate, one of the biggest titles in the MGM library. Emmerich, who directed and co-wrote the original film with Devlin, is on board to direct this one, with Devlin producing. Those two are already hard at work on a new version of Independence Day at Fox.

MGM?s Gary Barber called Emmerich and Devlin ?world-class creators of the original Stargate,? and said they will ?bring their reinvigorated vision of this wildly popular property to audiences of multiple generations.?
Said Emmerich and Devlin: ?The Stargate universe is one that we missed terribly, and we cannot wait to get going on imagining new adventures and situations for the trilogy. This story is very close to our hearts, and getting the chance to revisit this world is in many ways like a long lost child that has found its way back home.? MGM?s Jonathan Glickman will oversee it with Warner Bros? Greg Silverman. Warners will distribute with MGM handling some international territories. Back in its day, Stargate set the record for highest October gross and did near $200 million in global ticket sales. It went on to have a very successful run as a syndicated TV series.
This is a reboot I can get behind. It will be difficult though not having the TV cast that I enjoyed so much from the original. I would love to see what they can do with better effects and such now. Also honestly the story needs to change a bit. Should be interesting.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I'll probably watch this but I liked the SG1 (and Atlantis kinda) too much so I'll go into it especially skeptical.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I have accepted that literally every movie + TV show that was good will be rebooted because television needs 16:9 HD quality at a minimum these days. Hopefully they will do the next series justice.

Cybsled

The Stargate TV shows haven't been off the air that long, so I am somewhat skeptical. The original film from the early 90s was ok, but over a decade of TV show lore is a ton of stuff to ignore/reboot.

I guess they could pull a Star Trek and try to do some timey-whimey stuff to explain the reboot, but based on previous articles, Roland Emmerich's view was "lol, fuck TV show! My idea was better!"

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I think the guys who made the movie kinda hated the direction the TV show went, so this probably isn't good news for fans of the TV series. I'd prolly rather get another campy low budget direct to Netflix movie, but I wonder if they make much money on those.

Caliane

this can't go well.

The TV series did go totally off the rails by season 3 of the first series. (while some people did enjoy that for what it was. it was a very different thing from the movie and early seasons of Stargate. and THAT thing, would make a terrible movie.)
And I have not entirely sure the guys that made the movie have any idea why it was so good in the first place.

No Kurt Russel. can't get the lighting back into the bottle.

Goatface

think they did okish in the end
Continuum cost $7m and sold $8m
Ark of Truth cost $7mil and sold $9m
didn't see any info on digital
they were going to do SG-A movie, but reportedly MGM's financial problems killed that.

sukik

No Kurt Russel. can't get the lighting back into the bottle.
Yea. And they already remade the Stargate movie into the far more popular Independence Day. Roland Emmerich makes big, dumb, and loud movies. A Michal Bay-lite sort of director. "The Day After Tommorow", "10,000" BC, "2012", "White House Down", "The Patriot".

Best I'm hoping for is not this:

Goatface

feel i knew this at one point but drawing a blank, what was Emmerich's original vision for series?

spronk

FPS noob
irish black tranny from The Crying Games goes back in time and enslaves the negroes of egypt

also i don't think Richard McGyver Anderson will fit through the stargate anymore
richard-dean-anderson-fan-expo-canada-2013_3832207.jpg

sukik

I'm not sure they were included in the TV show originally, MGM had the rights and hired some writers.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
MacGyver is really fat. I wonder how he will get out of that situation with only a swiss army knife and a paper clip

Caliane

Yea. And they already remade the Stargate movie into the far more popular Independence Day. Roland Emmerich makes big, dumb, and loud movies. A Michal Bay-lite sort of director. "The Day After Tommorow", "10,000" BC, "2012", "White House Down", "The Patriot".

Best I'm hoping for is not this:
yeah. just look at the credits for Devlin and Emmerich.
It's just shit after shit. Stargate's quality is inexplicable really.

As for the series, I would say, rewatch the Pilot. "children of the gods" and compare it to where the series went.
The wiki talks about the variance a bit.
"Dean Devlin had originally planned to have two movie sequels pick up the story from his 1994 original Stargate. The first movie already tapped into Egyptian mythology; the second one would have moved into other mythologies; and the third would tie together all mythologies.[7] Devlin then gave Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer (MGM) control over the franchise,[8] and MGM decided to make a TV series based on the movie.[9][10] Also, author Bill McCay wrote a series of five novels based on Roland Emmerich's notes, continuing the story the original creators had envisioned to Devlin's dismay.[11] SG-1 showrunners Brad Wright and Jonathan Glassner altered the canon by introducing many novel concepts with their mythology of the SG-1 and Atlantis series."

Nester

Vyemm Raider
As a huge stargate fan who watched ands owned all the movies and series, I don't care if they reboot all the canon and start again, I just more stargate and will take what I can get!

Great news.