Stargate Reboot Trilogy

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
I looked it up with google-fu before I posted and saw that. Didn't recall it ever being in the show... Just figured it was a fanfic explanation.

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
Universe, however, had no redeeming qualities.
It had one redeeming quality:

MV5BMTM2Njc1MjgyOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjY2NTAwNw@@._V1_SY317_CR11,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

But yeah, otherwise it felt like an attempt to make BattleStarGatelactica.

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
Interesting. Was that explanation given in the SG-1 TV show at some point? I don't remember it, but I'd like a source (i.e., which season and episode) cause I'd be curious to check it out.
I could swear I heard the explaination in SG-1 at some point but I can't seem to find the source anymore, it was probably a throaway line by Daniel Jackson after O'Neill wondered aloud why the hell Ra looked so different to the others.

Anyway, here is a link to the Stargate Wiki page ofFamrir, the Asgard who was the host of Ra. It mentions that this information is from a canon RPG supplement to the show.

As far as I recall, there is no reason why Asgards would not be hosts to Goa'uld. As mentionned on the page above, Ra used Famrir's body only until he discovered Earth and the Tau'ri, at which point every Goa'uld decided to host into a human body because they are so much easier to maintain alive with sarcophagus and far far easier to repair (as well as being easier to pretend to be gods without having to use holograms like Thor for instance).

Besides, the Asgard are a dying race, so it didn't make much sense for the Goa'uld to keep trying to use them. That, and Goa'uld ships get their asses kicked by Asgard tech.

spronk

FPS noob
the SG1 lore just was weird and not worth trying to wrap your head around, none of it was very consistent. With the Ancients (precursors to humans?) coming from the Atlantis galaxy, the Tokra, the Wraith, the Replicators, etc its all muddy how exactly things worked and iirc all the humans in our galaxy spawned from Earth which again doesn't really make sense if Ra came during the Egypt times and got kicked out like... 200 years later, given the timelines involved not to mention all speaking English ugggh it gets bad.

I do appreciate SGU trying to "fix" this problem by running into no aliens for the first season, and having the aliens in season 2 be completely alien and not understand/think like us at all, but I guess I prefer the "star trek" approach of "these aliens make absolutely no sense but ok lets roll with it" because its more fun and viewable. Farscape did have some good aliens though.

Goatface

been reading more about RDA'a health. in the 90's, he was very active skier, cyclist, etc and was always fairly accident free. during the sg years he had a rash of issues and surgeries, broken arms, neck, foot, back and knee problems. It seems like they were from his hobbies and not anything acting related. he ended up having 3 knee surgeries while doing the series. when filming SG:Continuum found out he had heart problem which required surgery. sometime after that, had crippling pain in his feet which required multiple surgeries, pins put into his ankle and toes and something like a year long rehab.

i know he always says he left the show to spend more time with his daughter, but sounds like he was falling apart.

iannis

Musty Nester
It actually can be both at the same time.

That sort of fat looks like medication induced fat, tbh, rather than any sort of "i'ma just be a fatty now" kind of fat.

Jarnin_sl

shitlord
Total SG nerd here. I have every episode of every series and all the movies available to me a the click of a button.

Spoilering due to length and nerdiness:
That whole "Ra was an Asgard prior to his discovery of Earth" hypothesis is BS fan-fic. Never happened. In SG-1, prior to the Goa'uld having human hosts, they usedUnas. While they mentioned that the Goa'uld had used various alien species, they never showed them using anything but humans or Unas (except for an episode where they were stuck in a ziggurat and the Goa'uld jumped into a non-sentient critter to survive).

So, about 25 million years ago, the Alterans (ancient humans) are living in their home galaxy. Some of them are into science. Some are into religion. The religious ones become zealots and start indoctrinating anybody who doesn't follow their religion, known as Origin. Some Alterans, living like Amish people, build a big spaceship under their village and leave their home galaxy so they can live their lives like they want. They end up in the Milky Way.

One of the first things they invent is the StarGate. In order to build out their StarGate network, they build big autonomous ships that are able to scoop up resources and build gates, then place on planets, or in orbit, throughout the galaxy. Later these ships leave the Milky Way and continue on their way, seeding StarGates in all the nearby galaxies of the Local group and beyond (this is where StarGate Universe comes in). The original StarGates aren't as advanced as the ones from the series; they don't have the range to cross an entire galaxy in one hop, so they're later upgraded to the ones seen in the movie and SG-1.

Later, the Alterans in the Milky Way are struck by a plague and mostly wiped out. The show never really explained where this plague came from, but the writers dropped a few hints to insinuate that it was a Prior Plague; priors being the Alteran religious nuts that drove their kind out of their home galaxy. Like I said, the plague wipes out most of the Alterans in the Milky Way. Many Alterans ascend to become "The Others", ascended beings of immense power (think Obi-Wan Kenobi after Vader kills him). The Others shield the Milky Way and other galaxies from the influence of the Ori, who are other ascended beings that created the religion the Alterans tried to escape from.
The Alterans who survive the plague, but aren't ascended, become known as the Lanteans. These are the folks that create the big city-ships like Atlantis. Apparently this plague wipes out most sentient life in the galaxy, so the Lanteans builda huge motherfucking Macguffinto "seed the galaxy with life". This is what changes primates on Earth into the second evolution of humans, a.k.a., the Tau'ri, a.k.a., humans.

Apparently the Lanteans get so good at creating sentient life that they decide to leave the Milky Way and start spreading intelligent life to other galaxies. Their next [known] stop is the Pegasus galaxy, which is a dwarf galaxy orbiting the Andromeda galaxy. They get there, create another Macguffin life creator gizmo, and create a bunch more human species (the Athosians, the Genii, and many others native to the Pegasus galaxy).
Eventually some Lanteans discover the Irratus bugs, which are these big nasty bugs that feed on a persons lifeforce, but have the ability to utilize their prey's DNA to become better predators. These evolved bugs become the Wraith, which are, for lack of a better term, space vampires. The Wraith end up becoming the Lanteans biggest threat, and a war breaks out between the two that lasts 100 years, give or take.

During this war, the Lanteans create a nanotechnological weapon to attack the Wraith, but this nanotech ends up evolving sentience and, later, humanoid form. These guys start calling themselves the Asurans. The Asurans don't want to be a weapon, and they think of the Lanteans as weak (the Wraith can't feed on the Asurans because they're technological), so they basically say, "Screw you, Lanteans!"
The Lanteans ultimately lose the war, and a small contingent that were stuck on Atlantis after they sunk the city (for protection from the Wraith) decide to evacuate back to Earth about 10,000 years ago.

Some Lanteans that return to Earth apparently decide to stay here and help out humanity. They mingle with the natives, which is why a small percentage of humans (like Colonel O'Neill and others), have the Ancient Technological Activation gene, which allows them to use ancient technology and interface with their libraries. Some of the returning Lanteans decided to leave Earth and see what had changed. The ones who left are the ones who met the Asgard, Furlings, and Nox, creating an alliance of four "great" races. Another one of these guys, named Janus, created a timeship, which would allow SG-1 to save Earth in one of the more fun season finales. Another one created Reese, who was a simpler version of the Asura. Reese ended up creating "toys", which later became known as the Replicators, the future bane of the Asgard.
Then you have Merlin. Apparently he was an ancient, hanging out with King Arthur and the bunch, trying to boot the Goa'uld and other bad guys off Earth, but also preparing them for the inevitable Ori invasion. Apparently the ascended Alterans had a policy of non-interference with lesser beings, so if the Ori showed up (which they did), they'd only keep the Ori ascended beings from wiping everything out. They wouldn't do shit to stop the sort-of-ascended Ori Priors from fucking everything up, however. This story arc was from season 9-10, and this is when SG-1 pretty much jumped the shark.

The ancients were the creations of Brad Wright and Robert C. Cooper, who started off just as writers and later became show-runners when they moved to Syfy. They wanted to completely recreate everything and tell a story about an ancient race of humans from another galaxy that can "ascend to a higher plane of existence", becoming beings made of energy with god-like powers. In other words, they were turning it into a metaphysical, spiritual war between good and evil, instead of a science fiction, action-adventure series. The further the show went on, the more they started ignoring the stuff set up in the early years of SG-1, when it was on Showtime and had different show-runners and better writers. Eventually Syfy turned it into "ancient macguffin of the week" series, with some callbacks once in a while to endear the old-school fans. Season 9 and 10 were mostly crap, with some cool nuggets that never went anywhere.

Like I said: total StarGate nerd here.

As for the new movies... Meh. I've never been a big fan of Dean Devlin and Roland Emmerich's productions. These guys are pretty much on the same level as Michael Bay when it comes to their craft. They make big, flashy, dumb movies, with loads of explosions and tits. They're decent popcorn flicks, but it's not good science fiction in any way, shape, or form.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Awesome post.

That whole "Ra was an Asgard prior to his discovery of Earth" hypothesis is BS fan-fic. Never happened. In SG-1, prior to the Goa'uld having human hosts, they used Unas. While they mentioned that the Goa'uld had used various alien species, they never showed them using anything but humans or Unas (except for an episode where they were stuck in a ziggurat and the Goa'uld jumped into a non-sentient critter to survive).
That's what I thought. I'm not as big a Stargate nerd as you, but I've watched every episode of SG-1 more than once, and I didn't remember anything about Ra inhabiting an Asgard to explain away the movie.

I had almost forgotten about the Nox. I really wish they had focused more on the existing history they had created rather than jumping the shark into ascended beings and religious zealots. They could have done amazing things with the Furlings, the Nox, and the Asgard. So much wasted sci-fi potential.

Jarnin_sl

shitlord
Awesome post.
Thanks, man.

I had almost forgotten about the Nox. I really wish they had focused more on the existing history they had created rather than jumping the shark into ascended beings and religious zealots. They could have done amazing things with the Furlings, the Nox, and the Asgard. So much wasted sci-fi potential.
Yeah, that bugs the shit out of me to this day. They create these awesome canon revealing episodes, then totally ignore them later.

Should have been like this:

Goa'uld. Arc lasts 2-4 seasons.
Asgard/Replicators. Arc lasts 2-3 seasons.
Nox/nemesis'. Arc lasts 1-2 seasons.
Furling/nemesis'. Arc lasts 1-2 seasons.
Ancients/nemesis'. Arc lasts 1-3 seasons.
Big finale... then DONE!

Instead it was like, Goa'uld for 7 seasons. Ancients for 5. Asgard for a combined total about half a season. 2 episodes for the Nox. 1 episodementioningthe Furlings. What a wasted opportunity.

Cybsled

Still upset the Asgard blew themselves up. Thor was win. I loved that one "clip episode" where they are debating whether to end the SG program/the SG team, then they get Thor to beam in and basically say "Keep SG command or we won't be pleased" and all the politicians piss themselves and vote to keep the SG program open ;p

Xasten_sl

shitlord
Still upset the Asgard blew themselves up.
Shit still rustles me to this day. Sloppy writing at best, and who thought it was a good idea to make the series finale a stand alone piece of nonsensical trash. They could have at least mentioned something about an ascension pact with the Ancients when the Asgard finally decided they're done.

joz123

Potato del Grande
SG:1 finale was the biggest FU to fans. A whole episode on how to dodge a freaking laser. FUN.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
The Furlings basically became an epic fucking troll by the writers. I can just picture a bunch of fat neckbeards sitting in the writing room "huehuehue-ing" as they name drop Furlings with no intention of ever giving real information about them.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
I got russtled when they turned the show into Farscape without the cool puppets/Harvey. Thankfully we got Shepard around that time. The whole Ori arc was balls.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
It was pretty lame. I like to think of "200" as the last episode of the series.
My stopping point is Threads as the end of season 8. Moebius was a two-part side story to magically get Atlantis a ZPM and seasons 9/10 never happened.

Jarnin_sl

shitlord
My stopping point is Threads as the end of season 8. Moebius was a two-part side story to magically get Atlantis a ZPM and seasons 9/10 never happened.
Pretty much. Though, if you've never seen the 90 minute version of Threads, I highly recommend it.

faille

Molten Core Raider
While I haven't quite gone the route of season 9/10 not existing, it probably says something that I only bought the first 8 seasons on dvd.

Favourite episode it probably Window of Opportunity, though there's quite a few great ones.