Starship Troopers (reboot)

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
The main thing I learned from Starship Troopers is that Veerhoven is just fucking terrible at satire.

• 1Like
  • 1WTF
  • 1Pathetic
Reactions: 3 users

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
The main thing I learned from Starship Troopers is that Veerhoven is just fucking terrible at satire.

Bunch of tightwads in this thread who can't seem to enjoy a fun-as-hell gory bug hunt movie.

screenshot29725.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
The original is a great movie because it was hilariously over-the-top. Anyone who took it as serious commentary is literally retarded, including the director himself.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity

Caliane

My understanding is that the point of the novel was not "missed", but purposefully avoided. That makes it a very unfaithful adaptation, but also a great movie.

It's nice that it kinda seems rehabilitated in the US somehow. Two decades ago, when the film was discussed on message boards like this one, almost all the american posters hated it (mainly because they took it at face value) and almost all european posters loved it (mainly because they saw the dark humor / spoof / satire in it). I am not sure exactly why. Maybe a greater familiarity with the source material in the US influenced the reading grid while european viewers had no preconceived notion of what the film was about ? Another factor might be that the satire-o-meter is beeping when there is too big a gap between the norm and what is presented and that gap was much greater for europeans than for americans exposed daily to CNN or a burgeoning Fox News.

There might also simply be cultural differences at work, like a different relationship to armed forces and to war and also different depictions of those in fiction (I am not familiar with the topic, but I can't think off the top of my head of a european war movie that is not anti-war at its core). The evolution of the reception of the film in the US might also be related with the fact the themes of the movie ring differently now than a few years after the first gulf war. And of course there are big cultural differences when it comes to comedy. Hints at that lie in language. In french for instance there are very common expressions like "degrés de lecture", "au premier degré", "au second degré" (literal translations would be "reading degrees", "on first degree", "on second degree") to describe the differences between what is said and what is meant. There are somewhat equivalent expressions in english like "at face value" (that I used earlier) or "with a grain of salt", but it's not the same...

That being said, I remember some french film critics at the time that also took it at face value and trashed it as just another dumb american sci-fi war movie. Their reading grid was probably also skewed before setting foot in the theater, but in a different way : since they expected the movie to be dumb, it escaped them that it could be playing dumb.

I think its due to being so campy. Camp=droll food for the masses. high art must be boring and pretentious!
Audiences loved Starship troopers. hell, it got 3 made for tv sequels, and a cartoon.

I can also say, back in 1990's, I took a film class in college, and the professor spent a day on Starship troopers and was in love with it.

The biggest thing now, is the Libertarian vs Fascism issue of modern takes. Veerhoven is of course famous for "making the movie a satire on Fascism and the military industrial complex". Most would have insisted the bugs were a non-existent threat, and it was totally a fake war started by the Military to justify their own existence.

its now more recently, its become alot more publicly known, the book is a Libertarian utopia. And hilariously, so is the movie. He just slapped on Fascist Imagery to words, deeds and actions that are 100% libertarian, and everyone just took that as Fascist. Its kindof frightening how much imagery alone accounts for peoples perceptions..

that Fascists nightmare world... with full gender and racial equality, and private ownership and republic voting, and 100% safe and organized transitions of power of military/goverment leaders, religious freedom...

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Starship troopers is so powerful it made denise richards a Bond girl and gave NPH a career beyond doogie howser

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
Starship troopers is so powerful it made denise richards a Bond girl and gave NPH a career beyond doogie howser

Not only that, they made her a fucking nuclear physicist in James Bond!

• 1Worf
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 1 users

Cybsled

Dafuq? Robocop, Total Recall, and Starship Troopers are dripping with great satire.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity

Szlia

There are people who make a pretty compelling argument that Showgirls has the same kind of underlying mechanisms as Starship Troopers, but with the point of reference being dance movies rather than war movies.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Dafuq? Robocop, Total Recall, and Starship Troopers are dripping with great satire.

Yeah, he's good with satire. The issue with Starship Troopers is he wasn't good with recognizing what fascism actually is. His satire was all based on poking fun at a fascist society, but in reality, Troopers is not a fascist society. Its a militarized (Heavily nationalized) society but still also a highly liberal society, with strong rights and privileges for everyone. So the whole "fascist" angle didn't connect well.

The only 'right' people were denied, really, was the right to vote if they didn't join the military. But its not like the "civilians" were mistreated or a second class, on the contrary, civilians seemed to have a much better life than the leadership class--a life of luxury and stability, with all the privileges and none of the tremendous responsibility. And even the nature of the one 'right' citizens had over civilians seemed like it was well earned (in that if you wanted to vote on things of real consequence, like going to war--you needed to have skin in the game, your own ass needed to be on the line.) They mention in the movie things like childbirth might be restricted and stuff, but we're only SHOWN the good life for civilians (And as said, they clearly have fairly extreme rights and privileges. Rico's dad was tossing his weight around freely wanting to get a citizen in trouble (Rico's teacher) and even looked DOWN on citizens as suckers, while illustrating a life of luxury that awaited Rico if he didn't join the military.)

Veerhoven is great at satire, but he was ideological blinded and confused "militarized" with "fascist". SS Troopers in the movie was just not a fascist society, so all of his satire really fell flat.

Meanwhile though, Robocop? Excellent Anti-corporate satire.

1593468334934.png

Last edited:

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
I am still waiting for a Stranger in a Strange Land movie. I know it would be massacred in the adaption process though.

They were working on this forever, they had Keanu onboard a dozen years ago but it never materialized. IMDB says its still 'in development'. The SyFy channel was going to do a series, dunno what became of that.

• 2Like

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
If you enjoyed Stranger in a Strange Land I suggest reading The Moon is a Harsh Mistress. It pops up as a free kindle book on Slick Deals pretty often.

Cybsled

Yeah, he's good with satire. The issue with Starship Troopers is he wasn't good with recognizing what fascism actually is. His satire was all based on poking fun at a fascist society, but in reality, Troopers is not a fascist society. Its a militarized (Heavily nationalized) society but still also a highly liberal society, with strong rights and privileges for everyone. So the whole "fascist" angle didn't connect well.

The only 'right' people were denied, really, was the right to vote if they didn't join the military. But its not like the "civilians" were mistreated or a second class, on the contrary, civilians seemed to have a much better life than the leadership class--a life of luxury and stability, with all the privileges and none of the tremendous responsibility. And even the nature of the one 'right' citizens had over civilians seemed like it was well earned (in that if you wanted to vote on things of real consequence, like going to war--you needed to have skin in the game, your own ass needed to be on the line.) They mention in the movie things like childbirth might be restricted and stuff, but we're only SHOWN the good life for civilians (And as said, they clearly have fairly extreme rights and privileges. Rico's dad was tossing his weight around freely wanting to get a citizen in trouble (Rico's teacher) and even looked DOWN on citizens as suckers, while illustrating a life of luxury that awaited Rico if he didn't join the military.)

Veerhoven is great at satire, but he was ideological blinded and confused "militarized" with "fascist". SS Troopers in the movie was just not a fascist society, so all of his satire really fell flat.

Meanwhile though, Robocop? Excellent Anti-corporate satire.

Rico's family was the exception, not the rule. The movie makes it clear that the only civilians who can get similar rights to a citizen are the very rich. The movie also clearly states that Rico's family was very rich and basically just bought those rights, which is why his dad didn't want him to join the military. To your point we never actually see civilian life for the most part, but get hints that they do have restrictions (no voting rights, low chance to be allowed to have kids legally...the exception being the very rich being able to buy that). Given the fact that the movie spends time showing kids are being indoctrinated that violence is basically the answer to everything, that sort of sets the tone for their society I would imagine.

There is a pretty thin line between militarized and fascist, though. Plus, look from his perspective: The Netherlands is a pretty benign country from a modern military background. Then WW2 rolls along and he grows up in a country being occupied by Nazis and is exposed to all the aftermath (his movie Black Book is basically about the German occupation and what happened when the Germans lost the war...movie also has grade A+ nudity from Carice van Houten). Easy to see how the two can basically be interchanged from that perspective. The fact he literally has everyone dress in SS-like costumes wasn't a coincidence.

The 3rd movie (which wasn't Veerhoven) dialed the fascist element up massively: people who want peace are labeled as terrorists and executed, for example.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
If you enjoyed Stranger in a Strange Land I suggest reading The Moon is a Harsh Mistress. It pops up as a free kindle book on Slick Deals pretty often.

I am pretty sure I've read it. It's just been awhile. After I read Stranger I binged a bunch of Heinlein. Stranger is just one of those books that resonated with me at the time and became a personal favorite of mine.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
I am pretty sure I've read it. It's just been awhile. After I read Stranger I binged a bunch of Heinlein. Stranger is just one of those books that resonated with me at the time and became a personal favorite of mine.

I cannot for the life of me remember The Cat Who Walked Through Walls but I know I read it more than once.

• 2Like

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Rico's family was the exception, not the rule. The movie makes it clear that the only civilians who can get similar rights to a citizen are the very rich. The movie also clearly states that Rico's family was very rich and basically just bought those rights, which is why his dad didn't want him to join the military. To your point we never actually see civilian life for the most part, but get hints that they do have restrictions (no voting rights, low chance to be allowed to have kids legally...the exception being the very rich being able to buy that). Given the fact that the movie spends time showing kids are being indoctrinated that violence is basically the answer to everything, that sort of sets the tone for their society I would imagine.

There is a pretty thin line between militarized and fascist, though. Plus, look from his perspective: The Netherlands is a pretty benign country from a modern military background. Then WW2 rolls along and he grows up in a country being occupied by Nazis and is exposed to all the aftermath (his movie Black Book is basically about the German occupation and what happened when the Germans lost the war...movie also has grade A+ nudity from Carice van Houten). Easy to see how the two can basically be interchanged from that perspective. The fact he literally has everyone dress in SS-like costumes wasn't a coincidence.

The 3rd movie (which wasn't Veerhoven) dialed the fascist element up massively: people who want peace are labeled as terrorists and executed, for example.

The movie doesn't make any of that clear, that's the issue. Give me a single example where it makes it "clear" that isn't superficial symbolism (Uniforms ect). There is one utterance of the lack of a right in a shower scene (Told, not shown), about having children and becoming a politician; that's it. Otherwise, every person we see coming from civilian life seems happy and healthy, with zero views of hardship or stories of it (In fact, if anything, civilian life is painted as far more privileged and easier--the drill instructors literally tell recruits if they want it easy, to simply walk away and become a civilian again). Frankly, every depiction shows the opposite of fascism. Hell, when they discuss 'citizenship', they don't even talk about the extra rights citizens get--they only talk about responsibilities. (Citizens need to defend civilians with their lives, Citizens need to dedicate themselves to service ect).

In a fascist society, non-citizens (Or people outside those who live in the good graces of the moral state) are treated like absolute garbage--literally as disposable people who should be sacrificed to bring some benefit to the state. In Germany, Slavs and others who were not worthy to be true citizens were not allowed to just be civilians, they were the ones that were conscripted and sent in to do the worst of the fighting, so they could be of some use to the state through their deaths. The idea of that these people (Civilians) would even be allowed to be rich or wealthy in a fascist society would be ridiculous--that just could not happen (So even Rico's parents existing as wealthy non-citizens is a striking visual against the idea of this being a fascist society). In a true fascist society their wealth would be instantly confiscated by the state to ensure a citizen was provided for. The idea that a fascist society would ONLY jeopardize its citizens, while protecting its civilians (Lesser people) is just completely contradictory to what fascism is. Lesser people are vermin in a fascist society--civilians would be used as cannon fodder and slaves, essentially. Like their initial drop should have been a million civilians just to tire the bugs out, THEN citizens should have dropped in--if this was a true fascist society.

I wouldn't say the line is thin between militarism and fascism, they can be wildly distinct--rather they LOOK the same symbolically, so they are easy to mix up; but that's the issue, a lot of complex social systems look the same because humans tend to use symbolism the same way. Its why all of his satire fell flat, because even if these things blend together, your brain picks up the differences within the actual narratives and how people are treated. Militaristic? Yes. Strong emphasis on civic responsibility? Yes. But not fascist. If anything, as said, it was highly liberal. It was effectively space Rome (Republic). A very powerful civic society, but with highly guarded rights as well (And the Nazis used a lot of Roman symbolism). And yeah, he had people in SS uniforms and all the fascist symbolism--but that's the issue, he mistakes symbolism for substance and that's why it fell flat. In Robocop, his anti-corporate message had real substance, we actually see a lot of corporate actions that illustrated the effect on society and it made the satire profound. Troopers? Not so much.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Raes

Vyemm Raider
I cannot for the life of me remember The Cat Who Walked Through Walls but I know I read it more than once.

One of my faves, really liked the main character. Been thinking about reading it again, it's been like 30 years or so, lol.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I agree with Lithose. Neither the book nor the movie really depict an explicitly "fascist" society. They both depict a militarized society, and the movie satirizes classic military propaganda.

People forget that the book does a good job poking its own fun at its own hypothetical society. The only passage I ever remember from the book is the one with the doctor:

I asked one of the doctors what percentage of the victims flunked the physical. He looked startled. "Why, we never fail anyone. The law doesn’t permit us to." "Huh? I mean, Excuse me, Doctor? Then what’s the point of this goose-flesh parade?" "Why, the purpose is," he answered, hauling off and hiding me in the knee with a hammer (I kicked him, but not hard), "to find out what duties you are physically able to perform. But if you came in here in a wheel chair and blind in both eyes and were silly enough to insist on enrolling, they would find something silly enough to match. Counting the fuzz on a caterpillar by touch, maybe. The only way you can fail is by having the psychiatrists decide that you are not able to understand the oath." "Oh. Uh... Doctor, were you already a doctor when you joined up? Or did they decide you ought to be a doctor and send you to school?" "Me?" He seemed shocked. "Youngster, do I look that silly? I’m a civilian employee." "Oh. Sorry, sir." "No offense. But military service is for ants. Believe me. I see ‘em go, I see ‘em come back — when they do come back. I see what it’s done to them. And for what? A purely nominal political privilege that pays not one centavo and that most of them aren’t competent to use wisely anyhow. Now if they would let medical men run things — but never mind that; you might think I was talking treason, free speech or not. But, youngster, if you’ve got savvy enough to count ten, you’ll back out while you still can. Here, take these papers back to the recruiting sergeant — and remember what I said."

Last edited:
  • 2Like