Starship Troopers (reboot)

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
they are rebooting because that's the trend. Conan the Barbarian, Recall, Robocop, Carrie.

End's Game is another trend called, "what the fuck can we adopt from book and make a lot of money from copying shit that people already know about" circa Harry Potter/LOTR.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I think the first movie was great. Maybe not the perfect adaptation of the source material but held on its own it's a great film.

I love Verhoevens style.

Would you like to know more?
The original pretty much has nothing to do with the book aside from the bug war aspect. Whats truly retarded about this is that the producer of I Am Legend(another movie that had absolutely zero to do with the book aside from "vampires") is working on this movie.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
The original pretty much has nothing to do with the book aside from the bug war aspect. Whats truly retarded about this is that the producer of I Am Legend(another movie that had absolutely zero to do with the book aside from "vampires") is working on this movie.
What? The entire premise is the same. War. Service. Earning you citizenship. They just shoe horned a teen love story in. And to be fair, that book wouldn't translate well to an action movie at all.

I am legend gets more shit than it deserves because of the name. I didn't hate the movie. I hadn't read the story so the movie was ok for me. Same as world war z...decent film ruined by the lack of faith to source material. I'm able to sort of separate the projects and not let the differences bother me, but I can understand why fans would be upset.

I think starship troopers is much close than Either of those films.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
wait...what?the book of i am legend had vampires/zombies too?damn....i was hoping the book was better.
the movie totally sucks.could have been really great but no....it was another zombie movie.

Vlett

Lord Nagafen Raider
The book of I am legend questions of the idea of what a legend is. Boogyman, hero, etc. That stuff is pretty much ignored in the movie, which pissed me off. That's the most I want to say without spoilers.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I really like The Last Man on Earth (1864) starring Vincent Price. It's superior to Will Smith's pile o' shit. It's even public domain!

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
1864? hehe.
yeah thats the only version i accept as cool. chrlton heston while a badass sucked a big one in omega man. will smith did worse and i have not watched The Asylum's version.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
wait...what?the book of i am legend had vampires/zombies too?damn....i was hoping the book was better.
the movie totally sucks.could have been really great but no....it was another zombie movie.
Is wikipedia a secret or not commonly known?

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
I am Legend is even only a short story. An indie group could do an ultra-faithful adaption for like, no money probably. The story is about as low key as it gets.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Is wikipedia a secret or not commonly known?
to lazy to read ahah besides,sometimes i don't trust wikipedia.

but i already did,and from what is written there,is far better than the movie.the finale is topnotch.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
starship troopers is a great movie. It has the same sort of outlook on society. Sure the stories are different, but it fits well into the universe or starship troopers, and stands on its own legs.

I could give two turds less if books and movies match. What matters is if the movie is good, and that's it. Take Blade runner. So many people like that movie, but the movie takes a dump on the book fucking hard. That movie literally takes everything the book is about and rapes it hard with no regrets. I think that movie is bad, but I won't say its because of the former. I don't have a problem with a movie diverging or completely ignoring source material, I only have problems with movies sucking.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
starship troopers is a great movie. It has the same sort of outlook on society. Sure the stories are different, but it fits well into the universe or starship troopers, and stands on its own legs.

I could give two turds less if books and movies match. What matters is if the movie is good, and that's it. Take Blade runner. So many people like that movie, but the movie takes a dump on the book fucking hard. That movie literally takes everything the book is about and rapes it hard with no regrets. I think that movie is bad, but I won't say its because of the former. I don't have a problem with a movie diverging or completely ignoring source material, I only have problems with movies sucking.
This. Good Example too. Stand by me is another that shits out the ending but still comes out as a great movie.

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Starship Troopers kind of grew on me. At first I was like, seriously WTF? But boobs. After I watched it a few times, I thought, okay, not so bad, actually kind of interesting. Not something I would like to see rebooted though unless someone went full hard on over it, obsessed over making it some kind of franchise. Humans vs. army of sentient killer space bugs? Fuck it, I would be all in on that story if it was told under the umbrella of Heinlein's vision. Futuristic marine types fighting aliens will always have a few kernels of awesome hidden in there somewhere.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Starship Troopers was the first science fiction book I ever read, and while it was enough to get me hooked on the genre, the movie really is far, far more entertaining. A true adaptation of the book would be fairly bleak and depressing. Now, if they did it right and "Platooned" it so to speak, it could be a great movie in its own right, and I'd love to see that. But what are the chances of it being even remotely decent?

It's a classic sci-fi story though, so at some point it will get redone no matter what we want, and then redone in another 20-30 years, etc. etc. most likely. Still, I'd rather see them tackle some other classics like the Foundation series or Ringworld or countless others that haven't been done before.