Starting a New Media Business - Looking for Partners

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
i'll let you steal my patent pending idea to make a ton of money: go out, find a couple of hookers on the street who don't look like they are gonna die, find an old eastern european women to babysit them and make sure they don't do drugs, and then have the 4 or 5 of them play the latest multiplayer games on twitch. Doesn't matter how good they are.

oh and tell them not to get naked but to show lots of cleavage and leg, and tell them no hooking on camera

if your wife asks why 5 skanks are in your guest bedroom tell her its none of her goddamn business but don't worry you aren't fucking them

actually maybe you could make even bigger news by doing a reverse gamergate thing, put up 5 good looking dudes to do the same thing and when nobody watches complain loudly that twitch is sexist or anti gay or something and watch all the viewers roll in to support you
I volunterr as good looking guy #1 and my girlfriend as boodgirl#1 check pics in threads for REFERENCES!

If you have good content that people want, getting it out is easy. It's not like music where you have a few talented musicians in a band who are missing a proper recording studio, expert advice and marketing to get exposure. If you produce some good content for gaming the community it's targeted at will discover it when you post it to the community. If you produce mediocre content for gaming, you'll have an uphill battle spamming it all over, getting likes/shares/retweets, trying to get subscribers and reach out to them subscribers etc.

You're clearly looking for someone to produce content and there's nothing wrong with that. The question that 66617274626f78 asked is pretty legitimate and I think your target audience would need it answered. If someone is capable of producing quality content why would they sign up to your umbrella instead of retaining the rights to their content and producing it themselves?
Exactly what I was getting at. Wasn't trying to be a dick, I analyze everything business-related from every direction I can think of, which is why I posed the question. Content has and always will be king, but unless your content is unique and more importantly useful, you can't expect it to do well. It's easier than ever to get content out there. So you have to ask, why should someone who can stream on Twitch/Hitbox, create their own website, etc partner up? Right now the pitch reads that you need them more than they need you and it needs to be the other way around. Advertise and promote yourselves and you'll be good to go.

How do you find time to research any markets in between all your mad leet video game hacking shenanigans?
I spent probably 12-15 hours building that stuff in the early morning on Sat & Sun. Might reinstall this weekend and see if it's still functioning and if not, back to working on it I guess.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
I think, as both a LoL and WoW player, that there IS a solid demand for a new site in this space. The current sites do their thing but many many players know the best info is gleaned from forums since shit changes so rapidly.

For example, the Protection Warrior guide on Icy-Veins is the obvious first google result for wanna-be new tanks, yet it was last updated January 1st. If I wanted to see how a protection warrior kills Flamebender, I have to go scan through youtube... but what about if the guy on youtube I watch is garbage and barely pulls out a win... it'd be nice to have a place with vids of raids showing a class put up a very solid performance (90th+ percentile).

Randin

Trakanon Raider
I work freelance as a copy editor and proofreader, so if you get this thing off the ground and want someone to give articles the once-over, feel free to PM me.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
If you have good content that people want, getting it out is easy. It's not like music where you have a few talented musicians in a band who are missing a proper recording studio, expert advice and marketing to get exposure. If you produce some good content for gaming the community it's targeted at will discover it when you post it to the community. If you produce mediocre content for gaming, you'll have an uphill battle spamming it all over, getting likes/shares/retweets, trying to get subscribers and reach out to them subscribers etc.

You're clearly looking for someone to produce content and there's nothing wrong with that. The question that 66617274626f78 asked is pretty legitimate and I think your target audience would need it answered. If someone is capable of producing quality content why would they sign up to your umbrella instead of retaining the rights to their content and producing it themselves?
1) Generating content and getting "it out there" is easy. Getting it out there on a consistent basis is hard. If you need me to explain content generation and consistency and what that means you can PM me.
2) People aren't creating content for me. They are forming a company with me and own part of the company that owns content. I'm looking for partners not employees.
3) The question is idiotic. If someone can consistently produce content at a high level then they should be doing it themselves because they don't need me. But not a lot of people actually have the time to do enough consistently to create a brand. My goal is to create a group of people that alone can't consistently put together enough content but as a solid group do what is needed to be successful.

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Think with the whole GG thing the market is really ripe for new ventures like this. People keep rightly complaining about the quality of gaming news/journalism, so go out and do it better.

As to the people complaining about how good content creators will always get exposure commensurate with their talent. Many of the best gaming writers i've seen have never gotten any more exposure then clicks on the forums the write on...

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
I got all the time in the world if you really want a streamer, or even caster/podcast used to do it for competitive starcraft in the states (yeah I know it never really existed) but covered players like rekrul / huk (only real known NA players elky but hes from Europe.)

I wasn't kidding about sexy streamer time with me and my GF hello!

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Draegan, I don't think your content creators should necessarily be partners in the company. That seems like a problem waiting to happen. What happens when the type content of they create is not in demand anymore?

The partners should be people who have broad experience that would apply to creating, running and promoting a site, and the content creators should be paid separately.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I got all the time in the world if you really want a streamer, or even caster/podcast used to do it for competitive starcraft in the states (yeah I know it never really existed) but covered players like rekrul / huk (only real known NA players elky but hes from Europe.)

I wasn't kidding about sexy streamer time with me and my GF hello!
Shoot me an email, definitely would like to hear your ideas about casting and creating audio podcasts.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I also like this idea of creating gaming content for 'mature' (read: unabashedly vulgar) audiences. That's a niche that's not really being filled. If Penny Arcade can make comics about their penises, then you can get away with anything if your content is good enough.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Draegan, I don't think your content creators should necessarily be partners in the company. That seems like a problem waiting to happen. What happens when the type content of they create is not in demand anymore?

The partners should be people who have broad experience that would apply to creating, running and promoting a site, and the content creators should be paid separately.
If the content creators are people who participate in this community on a regular basis then I'm really not worried about the subject of their content. They probably know more about online gaming in some fashion more than most major gaming news sites already.

As far as partners or not, I would agree if you can find me some investment capitol so I can do it that way. But that's not coming.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Kickstart it as a new totally politically incorrect gaming site network. Promote it on RedChanIt using us as sockpuppets, labeling it as a protest vote and bulwark against the coming gaming Sarkpocalypse.

Make a good Kickstarter pitch and the money should come with the right promotion.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
You have 'years of experience' 'managing' an online gaming community for 'adults.' Just put that.

This site proves all you need is video games + tits. Think theChive but more video games and less lame.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
How to make working man pizza with saltine crackers and ketchup and cook hot dogs in a coffee maker.

We can call it "Bon Appetit with Aradune: Getting the most out of your E.B.T. the S.O.E. way"

Seriously though, theres all kinds of washed up devs with a thirst for attention that would write a quick 500 word column on their observations of the current MMO landscape for free.