Starting WOW - looking for advice and info

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So after having never played WOW at all (veteran EQ player) - looking to start playing - most likely together with a friend.

Can someone hint some good websites to read up on like allakhazam or Lucy back in the EQ day etc.

Any suggestion for 2 player combo?
I read there are classes, races and specs. Religion too? Like i said - complete newb.

Any help is appreciated :)

Hard to answer your question without more information. What roles do y'all prefer? Tanking, dps, or healing? If dps, range or melee?

As mentioned, druid, monk, and pally give you the option of all three.

If you want to tank and melee dps:
Death Knight and Demon Hunter

If you want to melee dps and heal:
Monk, Shaman, Druid

If you want to range dps and heal:
Priest, Druid, and maybe Shaman

If you want to be the best range dps:
Mage

If you want to tank and heal:
Druid, Shaman, and Pally

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Take a few minutes to read the quest text the first time you are powering through.

Some of that shit is hilarious; maybe a bit dated now, but hilarious all the same.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
If you're still not sure on classes/specs yet, I believe WoWhead also has one of those little quiz things you can take that just asks you about your play preferences that could help. It's very basic and simple, but if you're 100% new might at least point you in the right direction.

Oh, and definitely try to read the quests on your first time through. Sure there's a lot of basic go collect shit ones, but there are some gems in there for sure. The "Until Death Do Us Part" quest still sticks out to me after all these years.

Donblargo

Potato del Grande
Come to Hyjal, play horde, join the forum guild.

Also icy veins is a decent site.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

velk

Trakanon Raider
It's waaaaay mpre important that you enjoy playing the class you pick than any other consideration. Don't try and plan out 'the best' optimal path at the expense of fun. If that means you both end up playing pirate rogues and have shitty queue times, that's still probably a better outcome than feeling forced to play a class and hating it.

That being said, having at least one of you capable of playing either a tank or a healer, as necessary, will end up with a much improved quality of life even if you main a dps spec. Queue times for random dungeons are typically 10-20min as dps, 1-2 min as a healer and 10-20 seconds as a tank. You also get bribed to play tank or healer in random dungeons with a variety of special loot bags. This isn't really the end of the world depending on how seriously you end up playing though - the top end dungeons are absolutely going to be about pre-made groups, and the queue times are entirely irrelevant there.

Fortunately that leaves a pretty wide range of specs - only hunters, rogues, mages and warlocks are stuck being dps - everyone else can do at least one other role.

TheYanger

Don't play a druid. They're gay.

Play whatever else you want.

Serious answer: Just find whatever you want to do, you don't need to have fast queues the first time through, and you're going to have a bad time playing with most random people if you're a tank or healer that is slowing the group down, as a DPS it won't matter.

Much like how EQ is VASTLY faster and different at low levels now than it used to be, wow is also like that now, so the low levels (1-90 honestly) will feel REALLY fast, kind of jarring from time to time, and disjointed - you'll outlevel questlines 10% into them, you'll have very off ability interactions at some levels, you'll be spending a lot of time running zone to zone if you're questing due to the first point, etc. As a vet you can probably appreciate how some of that came to be, but it's still going to be confusing.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
When they first implemented deathknights i rolled as one and it was basically the game on EASY mode. you have great melee, great spells and you get a pet. work your mining and smithing and become rich. you can solo fucking easy, learn the game, learn the quests and i think you start at lv 55? i was so overpowered i could solo elite mobs several levels above me in just basic gear. pvp is even easier. they probably nerfed all that shit by now so pick what suits you.

TheYanger

When they first implemented deathknights i rolled as one and it was basically the game on EASY mode. you have great melee, great spells and you get a pet. work your mining and smithing and become rich. you can solo fucking easy, learn the game, learn the quests and i think you start at lv 55? i was so overpowered i could solo elite mobs several levels above me in just basic gear. pvp is even easier. they probably nerfed all that shit by now so pick what suits you.
I mean...anyone giving any 'class' advice based on anything but the past month of the game is giving extremely outdated/pointless information. Not just what you posted, but have seen some other "Oh I remember" bla bla type posts. Wow USUALLY overhauls every spec every expansion, because if they don't then players tend to have solved their class already and it gets stale.

Other than conceptually, I can't think of anything about a Death Knight that is the same as it was 8 years ago in Wrath, the resource system is different, talent system is different, the specs themselves are different, etc.

Legion prepatch just hit in July, any info older than that is 100% out of date, and not in a 'oh 10% number change' sort of way but in a "Oh, half of those abilities, or this entire fucking specialization don't exist anymore" kind of way.

• 1Like

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
be a man, play a warrior. Swinging two massive two-handed weapons is awesome. Also warriors are the original tanks, all other tanks are wannabe's

• 1Like

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
be a man, play a warrior. Swinging two massive two-handed weapons is awesome. Also warriors are the original tanks, all other tanks are wannabe's
Except then you have to be melee DPS and fuck that. lol...

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
warriors get groups like craaazy in wow. or they did when i first started at launch. it was a lot of fun too. i guess after 12 years every class must be boring at this point though.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
warriors get groups like craaazy in wow. or they did when i first started at launch. it was a lot of fun too. i guess after 12 years every class must be boring at this point though.

I've mained a Warrior since release and for all of Vanilla is was great, then in BC they started to let paladins and druids do more than just being healers for some fucking reason. Then Lich King came out and they allowed DK's to be stronger than any other tank for ages.. Now it seems Wars might be back at the top where they rightfully belong... as such there seem to be bangwagon FoTM rerolls all over the place.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
well shit, my friend is all jazzed about the upcoming expansion, so much so i am pondering getting back into the game to group up again with her(she is an old EQ guildie and now a RL friend). what is the point of playing anymore? habit?

TheYanger

I mean...for fun? What's the point of doing anything. None of it is habit when there's content you haven't done. Just during downtimes between expansions is that remotely true. Classes change, game changes, raids are always different, etc. It's not like it's EQ where Id' be stoked for a raid boss that required me to do more than log in and hit autoattack and talk in party chat. Maybe slowly melee push him away from a corner or whatever.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
of course new content is fun, but if your character is boring and basically the same as every other class now, then why bother? i played a barb shaman in EQ and for some odd reason my guild had a really tough time keeping active shamans in the guild so i was top dog at raids. i actually do know the reason we had a shaman problem, who wants to be the buff bitch? well i liked my buffs and they were unique and enhanced the players powers and i could heal a group quite well and produce my own mana so well i almost always had heals and buffs waiting to hand out. in places i was able to use my manastone i was a mana dispensing god. i also had unique and extremely powerful debuffs like slow and malo. disease and poison based dots (plus magic based dot from epic cold based DDs(and click DD bracer) )with pet meant i didnt even need a group for exp. i only quit because i had become so powerful that it started to become no challenge anymore. which is why i ask after 12 years how you guys still stay excited over a new WoW expansion?

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
That's simple, if that's how you feel about it skip playing it. Is it pointless? I guess that's subjective, to me watching some faggot chase around a pig skin on Saturday and Sunday is pointless. At least games are interactive. I haven't played WoW in a while and staying subbed for entire expansions is probably not worth it for most, but when new content is released it is pretty fun. Is it a perfect MMO god no but it's the best one on the market. I like to game and have played many switching on and off and while dumbed down MMOs aren't everything I want in a game it's passable. Plus this game just like any other are meant to be fun hobbies and I can say that it's the people who make it enjoyable/unenjoyable more than the content. If you have a friend or two who want to check it out do it with them or if you think it's going to be gayer than 8 dudes blowing 9 dudes then save the $60 and live through us talking about it.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
when new content is released it is pretty fun.
Essentially that. After a while, it degenerates into scratching your completist itch, but new content is usually fun for a while. Its repeatbility has dropped, however; it used to be that most of the first zone was original story lines between Alliance and Horde, and a good part of the other zones were a mix of specific and identical. But that has dropped a lot, even in MOP, you have basically half of the first zone which is faction-specific, then the entire expansion is absolutely identical. WoD had the same thing going on, even if the outposts were different, the quests were essentially the same, just at different locations.

Which is why I'm slightly worried about Legion, because of the "no specific starter zone" thing. Every zone is simultaneously a starter zone and a non-starter, and I'm expecting close to 0 difference between Horde and Alliance storylines.