Starting WOW - looking for advice and info

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
well shit, my friend is all jazzed about the upcoming expansion, so much so i am pondering getting back into the game to group up again with her(she is an old EQ guildie and now a RL friend). what is the point of playing anymore? habit?

Dunno about you man but I just want to kill some dragons and do dungeon challenges with the RR gang. That sounds like fun.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Yeah, there are a few people on Mal'Ganis and it is still a decently active server on it's own. I am currently planning on transferring at least one of my characters off Mal'Ganis and over to Hyjal.

As much as I want to keep that soulless ginger fuck Bobby Kotick from bilking me out of more money think of it like your $25 entrance fee into the cool kids club.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I am on Stormscale. So I don't think I can join guild from there? I am totally willing to Xfer servers to the cool kids club.

I have like 400k gold over here and I can only bring like 20k IIRC. Anything I should buy to xfer over? I don't feel I'll be needing money. Not that it is hard to get anyway.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
So I just looked into that myself. Seems like the gold limit is 250k on a level 100 transfer. Aside from that you can buy garrison blue prints and sell them back at a 1:1 ratio for another 80ish k. Aside from that I am sure you can dump it into some materials to AH or just buy a couple of WOW tokens to burn some good before transferring.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I am on Stormscale. So I don't think I can join guild from there? I am totally willing to Xfer servers to the cool kids club.

I have like 400k gold over here and I can only bring like 20k IIRC. Anything I should buy to xfer over? I don't feel I'll be needing money. Not that it is hard to get anyway.

So I just looked into that myself. Seems like the gold limit is 250k on a level 100 transfer. Aside from that you can buy garrison blue prints and sell them back at a 1:1 ratio for another 80ish k. Aside from that I am sure you can dump it into some materials to AH or just buy a couple of WOW tokens to burn some good before transferring.
Wasn't it upped recently? Or is 250k the "upped" limit?

Pets sell well enough, though there are some specific ones that seem to move.

Kiki

Log Wizard
Can someone describe to me the state of tanking nowadays? I have all the classes so I'm just curious before i pop down the $$$. I'd probably want pally so I can faceroll with my wife or something.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
Goddamn. All these WoW threads make me want to start it up again. I stopped playing after MoP and never played WoD. Anything in WoD that is absolutely worth doing/experiencing?

Youtube the intro cinematic, that is the coolest thing WoD gave us.

TheYanger

Bronze Knight of the Realm
The questing experience in wod is fun. It's a reason the subs jumped really hihg (and the cinematic). Like, you might as well play through the zones. Otherwise, the raids are good there just wasn't enough, LFR is LFR though so it's probably not important to see them.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
That's simple, if that's how you feel about it skip playing it. Is it pointless? I guess that's subjective, to me watching some faggot chase around a pig skin on Saturday and Sunday is pointless. At least games are interactive. I haven't played WoW in a while and staying subbed for entire expansions is probably not worth it for most, but when new content is released it is pretty fun. Is it a perfect MMO god no but it's the best one on the market. I like to game and have played many switching on and off and while dumbed down MMOs aren't everything I want in a game it's passable. Plus this game just like any other are meant to be fun hobbies and I can say that it's the people who make it enjoyable/unenjoyable more than the content. If you have a friend or two who want to check it out do it with them or if you think it's going to be gayer than 8 dudes blowing 9 dudes then save the $60 and live through us talking about it.
im not putting the game down, i like wow, i played their beta for a while after Biny got me in. i have come back every so expansions because the game is always fun to play and user friendly. but i always end up getting bored after a few months and quitting til the next expansion. i did come back to play with the same old friend, she plays really sporadically, i have always been full ON or full OFF. i cant do an hour or two every few nights a week. i am a 5+hour a day 7 days a week gamer. so what happens is i am maxing all my goals and when my friend does log on she is way behind. i feel bad and she feels bad. this is back in the first few expansions. i quit right before they assfucked orgrimmar. now i dunno what to expect. i want my char to be special, what is the point of powering a player if they just end up like everyone else? thats all i am wondering.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
I can understand the feeling but you already know the answer. In current WoW everyones a special snowflake and everyones the hero. I mean in this expansion everyone gets to wield The Holy Excalibur-Mjolnir-Muramasa-Doomhammer of 1000 Truths. Little Timmy wanted to be the hero and see everything so everyone is equally special. It's a sad state for all but casual players and in many ways the game world is a glorified X-box lobby while you queue up for the next round of random dungeon rainbow, so you just gotta accept it for what it is.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I can understand the feeling but you already know the answer. In current WoW everyones a special snowflake and everyones the hero. I mean in this expansion everyone gets to wield The Holy Excalibur-Mjolnir-Muramasa-Doomhammer of 1000 Truths. Little Timmy wanted to be the hero and see everything so everyone is equally special. It's a sad state for all but casual players and in many ways the game world is a glorified X-box lobby while you queue up for the next round of random dungeon rainbow, so you just gotta accept it for what it is.
yep and thats why i no longer play MMOs. i went back to EQ a few years back and it was so mudflated that i was soloing all of sleeper's tomb and it was child's play. the trash mobs in the "hard zones" are so insanely powerful they could take on every god from every expansion and buttfuck them all at once.

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I was thinking of doing the same thing, havent played a mmorpg since Rift launched, and havent played WoW since Lich King.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mur

Trakanon Raider
Jeezus, I just created my first ever WoW character a month ago...I now know how people who started EQ late must have felt. So much shit to grind through to get caught up. Overall though, I am kicking myself for not playing earlier. At least the leveling is fairly fast. Have not used the dungeon finder or whatever it's called; I have always hated auto grouping functions...might need to bite the bullet though as overland questing is getting old.

How are things working out for you and your friend?

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My advice is to pick a high pop PvE server. Even if you are primarily a PvP player.

The PvP servers are fagged up something fierce with serious ratio problems. Bilzzard is too retarded to fix it and their transfer costs are fucked. Especially if you like to play alts. If you take one of the "recommended servers" you will regret it and eventually be in a ghost town, if not now then within a year. Skip the bullshit and create a toon on one of the high pop PvE servers. The market will be rocking, plenty of players and the real PvP in WoW is instanced anyways. Every other server is crap.

Dalien

Registered Hodor
WoW these days comes down to it's as hardcore as you want it to be. You can be a casual derp like me and level to cap, run heroics and LFR and it's all incredibly easy. Or if you want to be hardcore you can join some eurofag world progression guild and mutilbox 5 chars of your class until one gets the legendary you want and run 20 heroic alt raids each week to get everyone their best in slot items so you can clear Mythic raids.

Point is, WoW is super easy if you want to derp and it's super hard if you actually want to do the hardcore stuff. There are several degrees between the two; it's up to you how hard you want to go at it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

krysanth

Golden Knight of the Realm
Played a little of WoD did some LFR and rolled with Noodle on some raids.

Worth it to pick this back up? Thinking of making a deathknight and join up with you guys