State Of Decay 2 - May 22nd Release

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
I played the original for a bit, dropped it for something else, then started hearing great things about the DLC. Went to reinstall and play and they had fucked my original purchase and wouldn't let me play without rebuying the whole goddamn thing. Fuck this company in their bullshit ass.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Rathar

<Bronze Donator>
That's lame, obviously.
I agree they've milked the original franchise what, 3 times? Yeah.. F that year 1 stuff, did not fall for that.
They did put out the military scenario though and they're promising what, 3-4 new cities to move through?
/shrug I got my moolah's worth, bet I'll get it again.

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>

This looks great. I've followed Undead Labs for years now, and they're real hardworking devs (though a bit ambitious).

I love Zombie fiction. I was into Zombie fiction before it was massively over-saturated in the media, It was sad when everyone was playing subpar Zombie games and then complaining that there were too many.

For me personally Zombie games have never given that real experience that I wanted. My ideal experience is finding somewhere to hold out and then having to make dangerous trips to scavenge for supplies to keep that place secure and stocked up. I don't want to kill waves of zombies (though that is fun in context) I want a more slow paced methodical game where survival is the key element.

State of decay (1) had that down. It made you find somewhere you call home and then force you to make decisions based on whether you need to make trips out into dangerous areas in order to keep your home secure. State of Decay 2 expanding on that and even letting you do it multiplayer is massively attractive to me.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Is the first one still worth checking out? I just got an Xbox One X with GamePass and it's one of the free games.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Is the first one still worth checking out? I just got an Xbox One X with GamePass and it's one of the free games.
If you like the idea of survival sandbox survival and team/fort building, yeah.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I still have PTSD from the first one :(
lol, why?

I know for me I tried to make it far in Breakdown, which means I had to try to get perfectly rolled survivors. The only way to get rid of bad/average survivors is to literally kill them, which meant I kept a shed in the back of my base to send them into to die.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
lol, why?

Caught the flu and ran a super high fever one night after playing the game a whole bunch that day. Spent like 6 hours trapped in a vaguely-interactive state somewhere in between hallucination and dream where I alternated between dreaming about playing the game and actually being in it. It wasn't even scary zombie nightmare stuff, it was just the awful sensation of being trapped an unable to get out of it and I've completely associated that feeling with the game, never played it again after that night.

• 6Worf
Reactions: 5 users

goishen

Macho Ma'am
I don't want this game to fail, but I want it to fail so miserably on the Windows Store that they have to put it on Steam.

Every time I think about buying something from windows it makes me a little nauseous.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Really looking forward to release!

It plays nothing like GTA V, and really the comparison only makes sense in that they both went for realistic graphics (vs cartoony) and have driving/weapons.

The original game is a lot more driving + stealth scavanging + melee than the trailer shows. Weapons are more of a last resort type of thing (like in most zombie games).

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I played the original because of Gamepass, meh. I have a lot more fun playing 7 Days to Die. Right now bugs are being reported like Crazy (Obviously they have 3 weeks to clean that up) but for a game for 30 bucks I doubt it given the history of the company. On the flip side, they are only charging 30 for it (Expect a 30 dollar game obviously) and it's free with Gamepass so I doubt anyone will care much. If I had to guess though, it would be a throw away title like Sea of Thieves. Another loss lead to sell Gamepass subs.

Nothing to lose though save bandwidth to download it so I'll give it a shot. Not expecting much, if anything, at all.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Ugh. Ok nevermind. This thing is horridly designed.

"Again, I like the idea of State of Decay 2's co-op, but in practice it is not realized well. Only the host can select quests, for example, and it's not totally clear who the host is. Worse than this, you can only travel a short distance away from the host before the game pulls you back to your friend's approximate vicinity. Why can't our team of four split into two pairs to approach a target from opposite directions, or go off to accomplish separate objectives? You're forced to stick together, which makes it even more frustrating when you receive a notification to say your base is under attack--why can't one of our squad remain at home to defend us from opportunistic zombie hordes?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Yeah the tethering is a head scratcher. The idea of teaming up with a few people and independently surviving with the same base but being able to tag-team a tough zombie horde is a well-proven gameplay design. I wonder if that was their goal and they weren't able to implement it for p2p limitation reasons.

Or they'll sell a lootbox that has a chance to drop a one hour tetherbreak consumable.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Haha oh man I wouldn't doubt the latter at this point :p

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
quote from the SoD reddit

"Let me try to explain some background. Okay, so when we started work on the game, tethering wasn't in the plan. But we ran into a problem. In an open world game, only the immediate vicinity around you exists at any given time. Most of the map isn't there at all. When you have multiple people in the game driving different directions, one of them is going to fall out of the world."

which makes sense.

It's probably like this:
tasks_2x.png

Time to add code to do tethered coop: 1 month
Time to add code for untethered coop: 5 months and total change of multiplayer architecture to be server-client vs p2p.