State Of Decay 2 - May 22nd Release

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Balroc

Molten Core Raider
Dying Light is an open world game and it didn't need tethering. Or is that problem only inherent to the engine that State of Delay uses?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Dying Light is an open world game and it didn't need tethering. Or is that problem only inherent to the engine that State of Delay uses?
No idea. Is Dying Light p2p or is it client-server?

Denaut

Trump's Staff
It's Unreal, the tethering is likely a side-effect of the the game needing to run as a host on an old console and it not being able to handle the game/simulation logic for multiple players at once. It would be much more expensive to write a networking layer that can handle the coordination traffic between multiple "hosts" in the same game world, and that is assuming there is enough processing overhead in the console to handle the traffic + simulation logic.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>

And now I want Dying Light 2 tomorrow. I forgot how amazing that game was until you brought it up. So much fun running around doing nothing quest related for hours on end.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I'm not sure why but I loved State of Decay and couldn't get into Dying Light. I think I just didn't like the combat or something didn't click for me.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
It would be nice to have a Dying light style game play mechanic, with a 7 days to Die world building element, and State of Decay's POI scouting system.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I haven't really looked into SoD2, but I hope they added a bunch of mechanics to control your party while you're off killing shit. Something like State of Decay + Rebuild/They Are Billions/Fallout Shelter

That way you go to your base, tell a crew to head out to scout an area for 15-60 minutes, then you go off to take out a Zed base. When you go back to rest they are finished and ready for new orders or something.

It might be fun, or maybe it'd feel like filling out paperwork between having fun.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I haven't really looked into SoD2, but I hope they added a bunch of mechanics to control your party while you're off killing shit. Something like State of Decay + Rebuild/They Are Billions/Fallout Shelter

That way you go to your base, tell a crew to head out to scout an area for 15-60 minutes, then you go off to take out a Zed base. When you go back to rest they are finished and ready for new orders or something.

It might be fun, or maybe it'd feel like filling out paperwork between having fun.

If it can be set on auto-pilot then it would be a plus. Otherwise, games with mechanics like that make me feel obligated to keep it running 24/7 so I can send people on their stupid missions every X minutes or whatever

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
This looks EXACTLY like State of Decay one (Holy Asset reuse) except Xbox One X enhanced with tethered coop. Hell, this could have been a DLC from all accounts.

Good thing it's free on Gamepass.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
This looks EXACTLY like State of Decay one (Holy Asset reuse) except Xbox One X enhanced with tethered coop. Hell, this could have been a DLC from all accounts.

Good thing it's free on Gamepass.

This is just false, SoD2 is built in Unreal 4 and the first was Cryengine 3.1, even if they wanted to they couldn't reuse assets.

As for being very similar to the first game but improved in every way, umm... good? Wouldn't that be what you wanted if you liked the first game?

Last edited:

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Didn't know about any engine switch, I just looked at the video and being I just got done playing some of it last week (SOD1) I couldn't tell the difference in the maps, gameplay mechanics, art assets looked very similar to the 1st. Either way, as I said I do not care much because I'll be playing it for "Free" with game pass. But I am guessing there is a reason they are selling this for $29 rather than a full price game (Something Sea of Thieves should have done as well)

Tethered Coop is ok I guess? I still disagree with that decision because most every other survival game out there allows players to go anywhere.

Find out next week if it's any good or not but I would recommend people just trial a game pass if you have not already to give it a shot. MS's track record with games this gen flat out sucks.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
Didn't know about any engine switch, I just looked at the video and being I just got done playing some of it last week (SOD1) I couldn't tell the difference in the maps, gameplay mechanics, art assets looked very similar to the 1st. Either way, as I said I do not care much because I'll be playing it for "Free" with game pass. But I am guessing there is a reason they are selling this for $29 rather than a full price game (Something Sea of Thieves should have done as well)

Tethered Coop is ok I guess? I still disagree with that decision because most every other survival game out there allows players to go anywhere.

Find out next week if it's any good or not but I would recommend people just trial a game pass if you have not already to give it a shot. MS's track record with games this gen flat out sucks.

I get why people wouldn't like the first one very much, but I played it way more than the content warranted, something like 100 hours. For me it just ticks all the right game boxes, so I am looking forward to it. The only thing giving me pause is the MSFT store.

I have just been replaying the first one and watched a bunch of gameplay videos for the 2nd, and although the style is the same it does look quite a bit different to me. Much of this is probably the switch to the engine, but the shooting and animations especially look much better and less janky.

The "tethered" coop (god I hate that term) makes sense in the context of the game. It is fundamentally a single player survival strategy game with some sort of special zombie generation algorithm. While it is certainly possible to make the online play more sophisticated (and they've mentioned wanting to) what they've done is allow other players to join in on someone's single player game since that it the most basic form of coop. The rest of the game world (other than map assets) doesn't even exist when the host isn't near them so the game isn't tethered so much as it doesn't exist outside of the host.

Originally State of Decay 1 was supposed to me an MMO (know some people that worked there briefly) but they ditched that idea due to complexity and cost. They are slowly working their way back towards that it seems, which really is a much better way to go about it IMO. Personally I am happy they did, I likely wouldn't have played an MMO version of the first one.

And also I think the $30 price point is about right.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I'm not really diving too much into the previews since I know I'll have the game, I've got Game Pass, I'll give it a go when it hits.

I really hope tethered co-op isn't as bad as the concept implies.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Is this game going to be on PC/Steam?

Edit: answer appears to be yes. The first couple Google searches were not definitive and Steam doesn't seem to have a page up yet for the game.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Is this game going to be on PC/Steam?

Edit: answer appears to be yes. The first couple Google searches were not definitive and Steam doesn't seem to have a page up yet for the game.

I highly doubt you will see the game on Steam. Microsoft Store only along with Windows 10 only.