Steam Deals and Digital Sales

Taloo_sl

shitlord
Tachyon : The Fringe is on sale for like 4 bucks. If you are at all into space shooters and haven't played it pick that shit up ASAP. Bruce Campbell does the main characters voice work and the story/gameplay are pretty decent. For sure one of my favorite fuck shit up in a spaceship games.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Is it just me or are the number of deals few in number? I mean, I can scroll through 6k+ 'deals' at the bottom but all I see are 8-9 'featured deals' and 6 of the 12-hour deals. I can't remember what last year's sale was like but that doesn't seem like very many games I guess.

Rime

<Donor>
Certainly less. Last year there were the big deals (5-8 of them - 48 Hour Duration), then the little 8 Hour Flash Deals (3 or 4 of them), then a Community Choice-Vote between three titles every 8 hours.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Certainly less. Last year there were the big deals (5-8 of them - 48 Hour Duration), then the little 8 Hour Flash Deals (3 or 4 of them), then a Community Choice-Vote between three titles every 8 hours.
Yeah that sounds very different from the current 9 deals every 48hours, 6deals every 12hours and 3 community choices vote every 24hours. By so much I don't even recognize it. /s.

You're bound to run out of stuff to buy over time because you bought everything worth buying already and the only new games are the stuff released in the few months since the last sale that you haven't actually bought new already. Considering they have sales like 4times a year now, that means only a handful of games each sale, if that. It isn't really rocket science.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
They certainly dont do the massive publisher library deals anymore.
They do sometimes though I agree these are rare nowadays, I guess maybe because the publishers themselves don't do them? Or they do them on their own platforms as a lot of them have their own shit now.

But really overall the steam sales are the same as they used to be, it's just that once you've bought everything in the genres that interest you, everything else that goes on sale feels like "nothing", even though quite obviously it isn't. There's a bunch of games that went on sale on day1, I don't think I have a single one, and I don't want to buy a single one. Doesn't mean there's less games, just less stuff I want to buy. The list of games I want to buy from a sale is mostly recent stuff that might not go on sale this sale but probably next so that's when I'll buy them, and anything older I already have. Do people really have that many games they want to buy that haven't been on sale at all this past year?

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
All I was saying is that it seemed to me like there were more games up at any one time over the Christmas period last year but I didn't want to say that as a declaration because I can't remember what I ate for lunch on Wednesday.

Do people really have that many games they want to buy that haven't been on sale at all this past year?
My guess is that a lot of people miss those random deals throughout the year but they catch them during the holidays (or something). Just myself, I don't think I've looked for Steam deals much if at all since last Christmas because I'm content to wait until the next Christmas sales period.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
This is a good game? Has a lot of high reviews, don't think I played DG1.
If you like Tower Defense games, it doesn't get much better than Defense Grid. In my opinion, it pretty much sets the bar for the genre. I'm only about an hour in to DG2, but I'm enjoying it just as much as the first. It seems like mostly the same, with a few new twists to keep it interesting. Do yourself a favor and pick up DG1 as well, as it has a pretty good/touching story (as far as tower defense games go) that picks up immediately in DG2.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
If you like tower defense games, it's quite good. The first one is 85% off, give that one a try. There are parts of DG2 that I don't like, mainly that they changed the scoring system to remove some of the finesse, but it's still a fun game.

spronk

FPS noob
new sales are up
Welcome to Steam

castle crashers $1.49
ac5 $40
valkyria chronicles $15
killing floor $5
batman origins $5
fable anniversary $17.49
borderlands pre-sequel $30
ryse $20
depth $15

nothing really jumps out at me, if you are jonesing for a game to play this christmas though borderlands, ryse, valk, or batman are all great. if you already have enough shit to play for the next 200 years then pretty much castle crashers is the only one that won't be cheaper next year

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Ended up picking up Endless Legend because I'm craving a 4x fantasy game after being disappointed by AoW: 3.

Grabbed Total War: Rome II. Mainly because I love the Total War series, despite how buggy they have gotten in recent years. I own them all and at 75% off, I figured..why not?

Nabbed The Vanishing of Ethan Carter because of all the positive word of mouth in the "Best of/Favorite of 2014" threads. I also haven't played an adventure game in I don't know how long, so it's something I was willing to give a shot.

Finally, my "indie" choice was Expeditions: Conquistador. I'm a sucker for any turn-based strategy/rpg, the reviews are pretty positive, the metacritic score is decent, and the game's tagline totally sold me.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
See, I have a bunch of cash in my Steam wallet from various gifts but I can get Valkyria for $3 cheaper on GMG... arg :p