Steam Deals and Digital Sales

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
Miss some of the games that were daily deals and flash deals and community vote deals several times? Good news! They'll be onsale again this weekend!

Steam Announces Weekend Encore to Its 2012 Holiday Sale
Announcement - Valve
Gamers will have a final opportunity to get their favorite games on Steam. A select number of the most sought-after titles from the Steam Holiday Sale will reprise their biggest discounts for two additional days. The Encore Weekend begins at 10am PST on January 5th (Saturday) and run until 10am PST on January 7th (Monday).

Faddor_sl

shitlord
That's mainly true for AAA titles. Steam has a ton of offerings from small devs where the vast majority of your money (minus the Steam cut) goes to the people who actually made the game.
Very true - these comprise most of my purchases and enjoyment from Steam. From Terraria to Amnesia.

Faddor_sl

shitlord
I just took this entire sale as more of a reflection on the gaming industry than Steam.

There's just not much out right now that I want to play, or I own already as a result of previous sales. There really aren't many games right now that are OMG MUST OWN, so I'm just working through my backlog instead.
To be fair, you have a point. I am bitching a fair deal.

It's just that Steam was a beacon of light in this "Slap box art on it and ship" industry, and the last year of gradual slide towards the status quo is very strong evidence that that time may be over.

I guess it's like when your favorite local band hits it big - only this costs you money directly.

spronk

FPS noob
EA really sucked dick this year around, I wanted to gift the Mass effect collection to my brother in law but all the sales were stupid as fuck. First steam had the "ME collection" which was just ME1+2, and not even all the DLCs! Then amazon had the ME trilogy, which didn't include any of the good DLCs for ME2 or 3. You'd have to spend $50+ to get all the DLCs, which is just retarded. Borderlands2 also had similar issues. Luckily Saints Row3 and the two Batman games were full GOTY editions that included everything. Fuck EA, ME3 has been out over a year now stop treating it like a winter 2012 release.

Blide_sl

shitlord
My prize DL this holiday was finding KOA:R + DLC for 12 bucks on Amazon. It's still 60 bucks on Steam due to some licensing bullshit.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
I bought a lot of games this year, but I bought ones that most of you have had for two years now.

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yes but on the other hand it's an absolutely terrible game
My friend just bought the game and has really been enjoying it... but he's only like a day or two into it. I'll be curious to see if his experience matches up to what a lot of people say here, and he gets bored once he hits the level cap and the challenge is sucked out of the game.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Encore week is on. Looks like there is a pricing error with Sleeping dogs, currently at $4.49.

Stillborn_sl

shitlord
Encore week is on. Looks like there is a pricing error with Sleeping dogs, currently at $4.49.
I was able to get it for $4.49 (91% off), however it's now back up to 16.99(66% off)

Probably should have went ahead and got all the dlc at 91% off as well, would have only been an extra $11. Now it's up to ~$24 for all dlc.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Sleeping Dogs is one of the best games of last year, but the DLC is a blatant cash-grab by S-E. It's a mix of cheats, cosmetic shit, and one actual bit of content (which is fun, but also throws vampires and demons into an otherwise serious game).

------

Ended up with the Amazon Bioshock/Bioshock 2/Spec Ops: The Line pack and Arkham City GOTY as my only purchases this year. I definitely have to agree with others that Steam was quite disappointing, but then again so was the summer sale.

Oh, and I've had Bioshock for years so if someone out there has been living under a rock since 2007, here you go: RQHTB-0WDZP-KTC3Y

ham

Lord Nagafen Raider
Sleeping Dogs looks cool but it looks like it should be played on a console. Am I wrong?

Sean_sl

shitlord
Sleeping Dogs looks cool but it looks like it should be played on a console. Am I wrong?
PC version has a high-res texture pack (which is rare) and full controller support. Play it on the PC with an X360 controller, that's what I'm going to do once all the DLC bullshit comes out and there's a full Steam sale with everything included.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Sleeping Dogs is one of the best games of last year, but the DLC is a blatant cash-grab by S-E. It's a mix of cheats, cosmetic shit, and one actual bit of content (which is fun, but also throws vampires and demons into an otherwise serious game).
Agree but at the same time at least they didn't split a decent story line up and require DLC to understand the story or give vital information about Wei's past etcetc.

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
To be honest, this is the sort of DLC I really don't mind. It's easy enough for me to skip without me feeling like I'm missing anything, while also not feeling like I should wait for some GotY pack. I also don't feel like I'm being sold the game piecemeal if I want to get the entire story.

Tolwen

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Thanks for the Bioshock. I forget why I stopped halfway through. When I am playing MMOs I usually get behind on other games.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Bioshock turned into a sack of shit in the final phase of the game. Fucking hate having to unload an entire clip into anything to kill it. Annoying as fuck.

kinadin

<Gold Donor>
Probably should have went ahead and got all the dlc at 91% off as well, would have only been an extra $11. Now it's up to ~$24 for all dlc.
I caught the DLC before the price was adjusted again. I'm glad I wasn't the only person who was able to take advantage of of the error.

I actually think I got a few games this sale from pricing errors. Are they common?