Steam Deals and Digital Sales

SorrowsEnd

Trakanon Raider
I bought the complete Age of Wonders 3 pack with all the DLC last night from GreenManGaming using the christmas code and it was 9 bucks and change.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
GOG has some decent sales too, lots of older RPGs for cheap.

Also, got Spore complete collection from them for $7.49. old ass game I know but I got nostalgic the other day after my GF saw the case for it in my junk room and asked about it. Steam had the complete collection for like $42 in comparison, on sale. So I jumped on the GOG.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Steam: Monster Hunter: $39.59
GMG: Monster Hunter (Activates on Steam) $35 - add GMG12 - $28 bucks.

What a joke.

• 1Salty
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
You know that it isn't Steam choosing for it to not be on sale on Steam, right?

Course I do. I also knows Valve charges through the ass to place games on there and publishers will respond with adjusting their prices. So better off going to GMG, buying it there for 20% less than the sale on Steam, activating it on Steam, and off to the races.

• 1Salty

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Course I do. I also knows Valve charges through the ass to place games on there and publishers will respond with adjusting their prices. So better off going to GMG, buying it there for 20% less than the sale on Steam, activating it on Steam, and off to the races.

So you're arguing that Capcom is deciding to drive sales from the biggest digital PC game market in the world to a relatively unknown pile of shit site that has one of the worst reputations in PC gaming as they offer a slightly better cut of the revenues, during one of the biggest sale periods of the year, despite having had the game on an equal sale on Steam previously?

Have you stopped and thought about how it's because Capcom has access to sales metrics that tells them they make more money by offering it at a smaller % off rather than a bigger % off on Steam?

• 1Solidarity

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Steam let the devs off the hook by taking away flash sales, now we just get terrible prices all the time!

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
It's been that way for like, 5+years? The 3rd parties basically cut their share to less than the 30% steam requires, to do better prices. Steam is ok with that because they get traffic and people end up buying shit on Steam eventually. 3rd parties don't sell everything(especially indie games) and sometimes Steam still will have the historical lows due to daily/weekend sales and such. Their big sales aren't nearly as good because of the duration and their cut, this is known, whining about it every sale isn't going to make them better, they don't need to. Oh and just for the record, the only reason 3rd parties can actually sell for less is because Steam is letting them do it by providing free keys to the devs to sell to 3rd parties, unlike every other storefront. If Steam felt threatened by the 3rd parties selling for less, they could shut that shit down real quick.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
You think you guys would know by now that it takes prices some time to roll out on Steam when their sale starts, for some strange reason.

For example, No Man's Sky is now $30. Far Cry 5 is $24.

I get that other places (GMG, HB) offers some extra discount on top of that but some of the hyperbole can be softened here.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
And, you know, another part of the reason the sales aren't as amazing is that developers now have better tools provided by Steam to determine how to price things. A 90% sale often didn't benefit the developers as much as a 75% sale.

• 1Like

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
$30 for a 2+ year old game, sign me up!
The historical low is 22€, on Steam, a year ago. The devs decide the sales, they don't want to make it cheaper evidently. The fact many devs never reduce their base price lower than 60bucks and then don't do sales for much more than 50% means a lot of games don't get discounted even several years later. It isn't Steam's fault that the devs don't feel like lowering the prices more because people still buy the games at these prices. If they didn't they'd lower them. No Man's Sky was on the top selling like a couple patches ago when there was renewed hype for the game and it was 30bucks then.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Steam's cut is probably too high for the market now, but it's not as though the publishers are just going to translate that into lower prices for the customers even if it was reduced. They'd still just sell it at the same prices on Steam. The third party sites which have already bought the keys are of course going to sell it for less because they're the ones controlling the prices and it's the only way to drive people to their shitty websites.

Seriously, I get that buying from GMG can be great to save some bucks, but they're a horrible anti-consumer company that needs to eat a giant bag of dicks. Stop supporting them.

• 1Solidarity

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Nah, I'll just buy the drm free stuff off GOG instead for less, or should they eat a giant bag of dicks too?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
GOG is good as far as i can tell. totally forgot about them til yesterday, site is kind of clunky, but DRM free and better prices than Steam on a lot of stuff. hard to beat that.