Steam Deals and Digital Sales

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
All I do is add stuff to my wishlist, and occasionally check to see if it's ever 50%+ off. Maybe I buy stuff that's slightly higher on Steam than I could find elsewhere, but fuck if I'm gonna be the gaming equivalent of the old lady at the grocery with her coupon book. Either it's a deal or it isn't.

My best recent buy was Regions of Ruin for $2.40 during a 48hr sale or something this week. I don't care as much about big name games as some people, and I definitely got far more than $2.40 of value out of it.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
You think you guys would know by now that it takes prices some time to roll out on Steam when their sale starts, for some strange reason.

For example, No Man's Sky is now $30. Far Cry 5 is $24.

I get that other places (GMG, HB) offers some extra discount on top of that but some of the hyperbole can be softened here.

Yeah my bad I actually didn't know it took that long to update pricing across their DB. It definitely doesn't take them that long when taking games off sale :)

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
  • 1Seriously?

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Steam's cut is probably too high for the market now, but it's not as though the publishers are just going to translate that into lower prices for the customers even if it was reduced. They'd still just sell it at the same prices on Steam. The third party sites which have already bought the keys are of course going to sell it for less because they're the ones controlling the prices and it's the only way to drive people to their shitty websites.

Seriously, I get that buying from GMG can be great to save some bucks, but they're a horrible anti-consumer company that needs to eat a giant bag of dicks. Stop supporting them.

Lol what the hell is wrong with GMG?

You log in, you buy, you get key for cheaper than on Steam, activate, play game like you also bought it on Steam.

I don't see the issue.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Lol what the hell is wrong with GMG?

You log in, you buy, you get key for cheaper than on Steam, activate, play game like you also bought it on Steam.

I don't see the issue.

You mean other than sending fake order confirmation emails to fool their customers into viewing their ads, selling stolen keys, employing people that advocate physical violence towards their customers, and having a truly giant pile of shit for a CEO?

Oh, and here's a hot-take blog post from them: BattleTech gender pronouns generates trolling backlash - Green Man Gaming Newsroom

You don't see the issue because you aren't paying attention.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
You mean other than sending fake order confirmation emails to fool their customers into viewing their ads, selling stolen keys, employing people that advocate physical violence towards their customers, and having a truly giant pile of shit for a CEO?

Oh, and here's a hot-take blog post from them: BattleTech gender pronouns generates trolling backlash - Green Man Gaming Newsroom

Wow never experienced that shit from them at all. Shit they gave me a refund so I could buy it cheaper from them when I preordered a game. It was 10% off when I bought it then it went on sale more and refunded me so I could buy it cheaper.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Wow never experienced that shit from them at all. Shit they gave me a refund so I could buy it cheaper from them when I preordered a game. It was 10% off when I bought it then it went on sale more and refunded me so I could buy it cheaper.

Yeah, they're perfectly fine on the purchasing experience front (provided you don't get a grey market key or something) although I'd still be cautious about refund issues with them as they won't refund something they can't verify hasn't been activated as they don't have ways to check if it has or not.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>

Well dude I am not going to throw the baby out with the bath water because of this schmuck who has horrible taste in consoles.

Steve Boxer has been writing about videogames since the early 1990s. His first console was an Atari VCS, and he misspent most of his youth in the 1980s in the arcades. As well as for Green Man Gaming, he can be found writing for The Guardian, Empire, TechRadar and Pocket-Lint. He’s currently having trouble deciding whether his favourite console is his Xbox One X or his Switch, and plays a wide range of games, but especially RPGs (he loves a good JRPG) action-adventure titles, shooters of all descriptions and driving games. Follow him

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Biggest downside to GMG is that you can't refund a game you activate with a key if it runs like shit or you just hate it. Plus the SJW stuff and the fact that they have never been able to process AMEX without making me do it through Paypal... those are the reasons I haven't bought anything from them in years.

AFAIK the grey market key argument they got into with CDPR turned out to be nothing and I haven't heard anything since then; it's not like buying from cdkeys or G2A or any of those other assholes that are worse than just going the piracy route.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Looking at my wishlist, most everything is only 10-20% off. Meaning I'll either leave stuff on there to see if prices drop, or just give up on some of them and remove them entirely.

SanctuaryRPG: Black Edition is 90% off ($0.79) but it's ascii graphics and I just put it on my list as a lark. Kyougou Kyougou did you ever play this?

Some of the other stuff I was really interested in aren't discounted at all (Kenshi, Rimworld, Almost Alive). Steam, I am very disappoint.

I guess my plan will be just to largely ignore the games I had been watching and see if there's any gems out there that are discounted to hell and back.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Well thank God at least there is one game that’s a better deal. :)

• 1Worf

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
Looking at my wishlist, most everything is only 10-20% off. Meaning I'll either leave stuff on there to see if prices drop, or just give up on some of them and remove them entirely.

SanctuaryRPG: Black Edition is 90% off ($0.79) but it's ascii graphics and I just put it on my list as a lark. Kyougou Kyougou did you ever play this?

Some of the other stuff I was really interested in aren't discounted at all (Kenshi, Rimworld, Almost Alive). Steam, I am very disappoint.

I guess my plan will be just to largely ignore the games I had been watching and see if there's any gems out there that are discounted to hell and back.

I got pretty lucky, most of the games on my wishlist are at around 60% off, so I guess I'm going to adding even more shit to my backlog soon.

Save 64% on Darkest Dungeon®: Ancestral Edition on Steam

This is a really good deal, if you want to try DD.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I got pretty lucky, most of the games on my wishlist are at around 60% off, so I guess I'm going to adding even more shit to my backlog soon.

Save 64% on Darkest Dungeon®: Ancestral Edition on Steam

This is a really good deal, if you want to try DD.

holy hell that's a good deal. i thought i did well when i got the complete package for like $12 a month or two ago.

$2.69 for one of the most interesting games released in the last decade? fuck.

the game isn't everyone's cup of tea i'm sure, but i was really addicted to it for awhile.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Square Enix Store

Square Enix holiday sale, their sales can be a bummer because they list so many products that are out of stock (guess they sell out quick?) but there's a few pretty good deals on there.

$9.99 for Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age on PS4! crazy good price for a game that has so much content.

• 3Like

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
GOG is good as far as i can tell. totally forgot about them til yesterday, site is kind of clunky, but DRM free and better prices than Steam on a lot of stuff. hard to beat that.

GOG is owned by CDPR, and they're pretty much the only AAA studio that still somewhat gives a fuck about their fans (we'll see how badly the socjus cancer has metastasized with Cyberpunk.)

Side note:
>Beth
>Nominee for Steam Dev of the Year

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler

What's the point of taking anything something off your wishlist if you ever have an interest in playing it at some price? If you're giving up on them because they only have a 20% drop now, you wouldn't want to buy it if it drops to 50% next year? Now, if the price drop was 75% or greater and you still weren't sure, it'd make sense, since that would mean you probably weren't that interested... but dropping at 10-20% seems odd.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
What's the point of taking anything something off your wishlist if you ever have an interest in playing it at some price? If you're giving up on them because they only have a 20% drop now, you wouldn't want to buy it if it drops to 50% next year? Now, if the price drop was 75% or greater and you still weren't sure, it'd make sense, since that would mean you probably weren't that interested... but dropping at 10-20% seems odd.
Not all the games on my wishlist are games I really care about. Kind of a "these could disappear forever and I wouldn't care, but if they're 80% off at Christmas I'll snag them". The stuff I do care about and want to watch long term? Yeah, I'll keep those on the list.

• 1Solidarity

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Not all the games on my wishlist are games I really care about. Kind of a "these could disappear forever and I wouldn't care, but if they're 80% off at Christmas I'll snag them". The stuff I do care about and want to watch long term? Yeah, I'll keep those on the list.

isthereanydeal.com is great for stuff like that. Figure out what you'd be willing to pay and then input it and forget about any of it until they notify you it's finally available for that price.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users