Steam Deals and Digital Sales

Azziane_sl

shitlord
I played around with the demo and didn't like it. It seems too random; from what I could tell, you didn't really have any control over how good your game would turn out. You set the variables and let it go, but it has nothing to do with how well you manage your studio, time, or anything like that. Basically, from what I saw in the demo, being successful in the game was a combination of figuring out the optimal variables on sliders for each game and random luck.

That might change later in the game, but it didn't leave a very good impression on me in the few hours I messed around with it.
You have complete control but the formula is completely unintuitive. Your game scores are not based only on how well you manage your team during development. It is based most of all as a comparison to the best previous game you have released. If you released a game with a 9 score average you have to manage your dev "pools" just as well and get exactly as many or more "dev points" over all to get a 9 again. Or you can manage your pools slightly worse if you get a lot more points overall.

There are also hard caps such as Adventure games will never get a good score if you allow more than 20% of the pools on, say, the engine.

The game is a pile of warm shit if you do not investigate the wiki. It does appear to be completely random and out of your control. Once you investigate the wiki it becomes a decent sim for an hour or so. And when you understand the mechanics you have to choose to either not care about the game, or abuse the system.

I would not recommend unless you try it free first. There is a demo I think.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Still have some Keys please reply to this with what you want, if it is listed I still have it.
Dead Space Origin Key
Battlefield 3 Origin Key
Dead Space Steam Key

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Still have some Keys please reply to this with what you want, if it is listed I still have it.
Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box Origin Key
Dead Space Origin Key
Battlefield 3 Origin Key
Dead Space Steam Key
i wouldn't mind the burnout key.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Not quite about Steam sales as such, but for the past few days the store and the deal popup window that opens when you close a game have not been loading properly for me. They are blank for a long time until they finally just load up as a website from the early 90's, blue hyperlink text on a white background, all in Times New Roman. I've tried searching the Steam forums but can't find anyone else who has this problem. Anyone?

Ichu

Molten Core Raider
I just picked up the X pack on the humble bundle, and it's a lot of damn games. Any recommendation which I should start with knowing nothing about the series? Is it important to play certain ones in order for story purposes?

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I just picked up the X pack on the humble bundle, and it's a lot of damn games. Any recommendation which I should start with knowing nothing about the series? Is it important to play certain ones in order for story purposes?
yes the x series does have a storyline. So on one hand you could start with x (at least for the first few story minutes), or should you not be able to swallow the dated graphics or dont have enough time at your hand start with x2 or x3 reunion then head linear to x3:TC and x3:AP

Azziane_sl

shitlord
yes the x series does have a storyline. So on one hand you could start with x (at least for the first few story minutes), or should you not be able to swallow the dated graphics or dont have enough time at your hand start with x2 or x3 reunion then head linear to x3:TC and x3:AP
That's the 2nd or 3rd time I see this piece of advice being given and I don't understand it. I should probably preface by saying that I only played X3 reunion and X3 Terran Conflict. And yes it is true that there is an ongoing storyline but the X games are first and foremost sandbox games, in my opinion. The storyline really never stood out as more than decent to me. Not only that but they are also, gameplay wise, very-very similar games. Terran Conflict played exactly the same as X3. The only differences were that they ironed out some quirky things. It was the same game, only a tiny little bit improved upon. Knowing what I know and had I never played either I would only play Terran Conflict and read a wiki for the story.

So when someone asks if "it is important to play them in order" I cannot understand why anyone would respond "yes". Now if the question was "I'm playing it only for the story, is there a story?" that would be different. But X games' best features are the sandbox aspects. You're droppped into the middle of the universe in a crappy spaceship - do what you want. Trade, kills people, steal ships, build up a reputation, build a space station complex. If you dislike games that don't have clear goals I think I would advise you stay away from the series - I don't see how it will be satisfying. There must be other spacesims that play better with better storylines. Freelancer maybe.

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Yes you are correct on your viewpoint Azziane, heck they even implemented a no storyline just sandbox gameplay in the newer X3parts for precisely that who dont want to expierence it.

Anyway Ichu asked if it was important for story purposes to play in order and i claim yes it is or you wont grasp who the fuck you are and on which side you stand (storywise)
you dont get why are these Humans callled Argons, why are the fishies on tranquilizers, what do the insects do and are they dangerous (yes) and why is there an ongoing war in the later episodes. This shit is all covered by the laid out storyline (plus the official books). Its not needed to play through every part and expansion, but i recommend to drop a few hours on x and x2 if possible and have fun with x3 and keep playing the x3 incarnation you prefer the most. You could easily make fast (and big) money via stock exchange in TC anyway and peew peew your way through the galaxy if you are one of the -no general cooldown dance dance revolution kids-.